WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Refuge

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Security does drive around, they take photos of your trash cans if they are out too long :)
It's not security. They're just being told what to do
You need to give security a box o chocolates lol
Funny my buddy gets a notice for a branch down from Amy even though it was cleaned up within 2 days
His neighbor had half a tree down for a month
Then he gets a notice for parking on his lot but the neighbor parked his truck and boat on his lot and nothing happened
Too much drama in that hood

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
You need to give security a box o chocolates lol
Funny my buddy gets a notice for a branch down from Amy even though it was cleaned up within 2 days
His neighbor had half a tree down for a month
Then he gets a notice for parking on his lot but the neighbor parked his truck and boat on his lot and nothing happened
Too much drama in that hood

Dealt with the HOA politics in Phoenix...enough that I would never buy a home in one again.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
What a mess.. I hope this works out for those of you who live there. My mom lives on a course in Wisconsin. Through the course of several bad business choices and against advice given to her, she now owns the course she lives on. All because she didn't want a dying golf course to tank the value of her house. I know all too well how this can go bad quickly.. I will say, leasing out the restaurant and keeping the golf seperate has worked out better than most options in her situation. Everyones situation is different. I wish the Refuge all the best.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Greens should be ok for a bit if they’re Bermuda it’s time to start overseeing them soon anyhow. The fairways and roughs are the same so as long as it gets figured out pretty soon the course would be ok. If new owners have deep pockets and don’t want to run a golf course they’ll just close it and wait 7yrs or whatever the time is and get it rezoned. Most of the time it doesn’t take that long because residents don’t like looking at a dead course and give in to whatever home development plan they’re shown. If I had the money to buy a golf course it would be really hard to consider one that didn’t have its own water source ie free water. That cost is never going to go down along with labor but I’m ok with labor cost it’s the price of doing business.

TCHB

Reaction score
I have seen in Havasu the irrigation system go down for a couple weeks and the grass turn to dirt pretty quickly with the heat.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
They must have reached an agreement
edit, bank agreed to pay bills
Saw a guy mowing greens and tees
Water flowing everywhere
But they need to get water in the pond quick
Bob was out roaming around too
Resized_20210913_094829.jpg
Resized_20210913_095030.jpg
Resized_20210913_095351.jpg
Resized_20210913_095255.jpeg

Last edited:

Joker

Reaction score
Greens should be ok for a bit if they’re Bermuda it’s time to start overseeing them soon anyhow. The fairways and roughs are the same so as long as it gets figured out pretty soon the course would be ok. If new owners have deep pockets and don’t want to run a golf course they’ll just close it and wait 7yrs or whatever the time is and get it rezoned. Most of the time it doesn’t take that long because residents don’t like looking at a dead course and give in to whatever home development plan they’re shown. If I had the money to buy a golf course it would be really hard to consider one that didn’t have its own water source ie free water. That cost is never going to go down along with labor but I’m ok with labor cost it’s the price of doing business.
Do all courses overseed or just the ones with the heat of the southwest?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Good to see Bob, ran into him one morning while I was out walking the dog. Crazy about the pond.

TCHB

Reaction score
Not all courses over seed. Havasu golf club normally only does one of courses. This year at Reflection Bay they sanded the greens and punched the fairways but will not over seed.
673EE823-E961-4A3B-B28F-B1274AB07ED6.jpeg

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Do all courses overseed or just the ones with the heat of the southwest?

No not all courses some will use pigments and different color dye to give the look of overseeding. It can be used on any golf surface even greens and greatly reduces water usage.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Are those pics from today?
Was Bob in his usual area? I ran into six coyotes the other night walking after dark with my dog on 18. They were not moving, all I could see is their eyes with my flashlight. Opted to turn around, with six of them they could have caused a problem.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Was Bob in his usual area? I ran into six coyotes the other night walking after dark with my dog on 18. They were not moving, all I could see is their eyes with my flashlight. Opted to turn around, with six of them they could have caused a problem.
No, by the south gate entrance
He could care less I was there
Walked right past my truck. If I opened my door i would have hit him in the head lol
Resized_20210913_095239.jpg

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
We love our HOA. Bought the then brand new house about 17 years ago. Small gated community of 75 homes. Initial dues were $510 month. The then new board consisted of a lawyer, CPA, retired contractor and others. They ran the HOA like they owned it themselves. Current dues are $203 a month thanks to them. Plus there is no heavy handedness and most folks of are a like mind.

As a result, our little community is awesome.

Joker

Reaction score
We love our HOA. Bought the then brand new house about 17 years ago. Small gated community of 75 homes. Initial dues were $510 month. The then new board consisted of a lawyer, CPA, retired contractor and others. They ran the HOA like they owned it themselves. Current dues are $203 a month thanks to them. Plus there is no heavy handedness and most folks of are a like mind.

Most of the HOAs like to have attorneys on board or the attorney will buy his way in to go after contractors for construction defect cases.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Most of the HOAs like to have attorneys on board or the attorney will buy his way in to go after contractors for construction defect cases.
I am fine with the HOA, they have their purpose, it works for $100 a month. If it doubles or triples and everyone owns a share of the course and restaurant I am fine with that as well.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Side note on HOA's...we looked at two "new" neighborhoods in TX when we moved here. Wound up settling in the historic area of New Braunfels (No HOA, awesome neighbors, walk to the river, and the bar around the corner...plus lots of deer). When we toured the first HOA neighborhood, my wife asked the sales rep about the HOA fees as he was showing us a house overlooking a fishing pond (he knew that would get me interested). He told her it was just under $400. Well in my wife's mind she was thinking Hawaii still so per month...our neighborhood association plus maintenance fee on our condo/townhouse was nearly $700/mo... When he went back over numbers later and kept saying its a great deal for the HOA fees he mentioned something about that per year. My wife started laughing...he had no idea why lol

Last edited:

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
That is pretty intuitive of you. It didn't occur to me however, the HOA did in fact sue the Builder for a drainage issue. Subsequently, the work was bid and done for half of the settlement amount. The balance was used for the benefit of the homeowners. While I don’t actually know if the HOA’s Board Member Attorney represented us, what you say sounds about right.

Joker

Reaction score
President of HOA has contacted our winter golfing group and tells us that they are working on having the course and restaurant open for the winter season.
That’s great news👍🏻

78Southwind

Reaction score
I hope it all works out for you guys. In Chino Hills the new owners of the Golf Course at Vellano has been trying to develop the property for either condos or homes. The owner has gone as far as putting a chain-link-fence around the old golf course and letting everything die. They tried to destroy the Clubhouse, Gym and Pool. They let the pool go green. They are basically trying to get the homeowners to pressure the city to get the property rezoned.

https://www.victoryforvellano.com/

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
President of HOA has contacted our winter golfing group and tells us that they are working on having the course and restaurant open for the winter season.
It’s coming together, property owners are being surveyed on if they are willing to buy a equity share and if so at what level.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I hope it all works out for you guys. In Chino Hills the new owners of the Golf Course at Vellano has been trying to develop the property for either condos or homes. The owner has gone as far as putting a chain-link-fence around the old golf course and letting everything die. They tried to destroy the Clubhouse, Gym and Pool. They let the pool go green. They are basically trying to get the homeowners to pressure the city to get the property rezoned.

Yeah that’s one of 3 or 4 courses he’s tying to do that with now. He’s done it a couple times already. Believe it or not he’s making more money on some of these properties with them closed. Pockets are deep enough that it can stay dirt forever and it wouldn’t effect him in anyway.

side note Vellano was one of the worst golf designs and builds I’ve seen. From the ground up that place seemed destined to fail.

Reactions: DWC

Taboma

Reaction score
Yeah that’s one of 3 or 4 courses he’s tying to do that with now. He’s done it a couple times already. Believe it or not he’s making more money on some of these properties with them closed. Pockets are deep enough that it can stay dirt forever and it wouldn’t effect him in anyway.

side note Vellano was one of the worst golf designs and builds I’ve seen. From the ground up that place seemed destined to fail.

Worst in what ways ? The Greg Norman course design ?

checkrdpast

Reaction score
Side note on HOA's...we looked at two "new" neighborhoods in TX when we moved here. Wound up settling in the historic area of New Braunfels (No HOA, awesome neighbors, walk to the river, and the bar around the corner...plus lots of deer). When we toured the first HOA neighborhood, my wife asked the sales rep about the HOA fees as he was showing us a house overlooking a fishing pond (he knew that would get me interested). He told her it was just under $400. Well in my wife's mind she was thinking Hawaii still so per month...our neighborhood association plus maintenance fee on our condo/townhouse was nearly $700/mo... When he went back over numbers later and kept saying its a great deal for the HOA fees he mentioned something about that per year. My wife started laughing...he had no idea why lol
Looks great now until that family of that certain culture paints their house purple and lets the front yard die ,oh and the crap plying up ,oh and lets take off the screens to, oh and a nasty couch in the front would look good too. I Love My HOA

checkrdpast

Reaction score

That same group did that to the private course in Corona. They buy distressed golf communities around the country with promises to build up the courses and such, only to let it die and rezone. Oh and what of the people who paid 30K for golf membership there.
Just like Havasu , There was not enough money in Corona to sustain a fancy private membership club,commuity

• Wow

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Looks great now until that family of that certain culture paints their house purple and lets the front yard die ,oh and the crap plying up ,oh and lets take off the screens to, oh and a nasty couch in the front would look good too. I Love My HOA

The oldest, most historic home in New Braunfels TX (where we live) is purple with yellow trim. The owner did it as a big FU to certain people. They won't give the house a historic designation plaque over it. I could give no less of a shit about it. Once an area is over a certain price point it usually keeps the trash out on its own.

2Driver

Reaction score
All I can add is if the HOA is taking over a 3 million dollar golf course and the previous HOA meeting itineraries were, who didnt bring in their trash can or pick up the dog poop you better get some talent on the board.

Ive been there and done that.

DWC

Reaction score
That same group did that to the private course in Corona. They buy distressed golf communities around the country with promises to build up the courses and such, only to let it die and rezone. Oh and what of the people who paid 30K for golf membership there.
Just like Havasu , There was not enough money in Corona to sustain a fancy private membership club,commuity
What course was that? I remember playing a new one in Corona. Friend of mine bought a membership. First couple holes were short and a bit hokie. Not exactly what a high end course should have been. Guess the amenities were nice

Turnup

Reaction score
I highly doubt it's coming together, sounds like the HOA is looking to residents for a loan being that they realize they'll have to spend double the number of what they originally tried to sell the homeowners on. Does anyone know if they have a first right on the purchase at all? Seems like there's plenty of people with serious dough in town that have to be chomping at the bit..

checkrdpast

Reaction score
What course was that? I remember playing a new one in Corona. Friend of mine bought a membership. First couple holes were short and a bit hokie. Not exactly what a high end course should have been. Guess the amenities were nice
can't remember the name. But it was a Jack Nicklaus design and extremely tough. The Champions or something

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Champions club at the retreat. Home owners had a chance to renovate 18 or convert to just nine holes or get shut down and eventually have houses built in there backyard. They were given a assessment and from what I heard a certain group inside the gates was to cheap so they get the houses.

DWC

Reaction score
Champions club at the retreat. Home owners had a chance to renovate 18 or convert to just nine holes or get shut down and eventually have houses built in there backyard. They were given a assessment and from what I heard a certain group inside the gates was to cheap so they get the houses.
Too bad. The homes and community was pretty nice. They had a courtyard design with a garden/outside seating area in the middle that was cool. Sorry to hear

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Every course this “company” has bought was given the same options and they all vote no thinking he won’t close the course. He even tells them to go talk to the other properties and talk to the homeowners around them!! Bunch of stubborn old farts kinda like most on RDP. LOL

LBLL

Low Budget Livin' Large
Reaction score

Pretty close but: no options proposed were viable once they realized the areas they wanted to build, sit on deep sections of undocumented fill. 9 hole course was never going to be truly offered and wouldn’t get enough support even if it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Another course in San Diego closed a couple years ago...Carmel Mountain Ranch. I played there on the final day. Residents of course hated the idea of having their green views become housing. But they didn't play enough golf to make the course profitable. A couple years later....and new homes have been approved.

westair

Reaction score
Another course in San Diego closed a couple years ago...Carmel Mountain Ranch. I played there on the final day. Residents of course hated the idea of having their green views become housing. But they didn't play enough golf to make the course profitable. A couple years later....and new homes have been approved.

Wow! … 1200 new apartments and condos, pretty devastating for the people around the course ….. but at least the weather is nice!

• Sad

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score

They did a huge turf reduction I believe 54 acres and it still wasn’t enough to make up for the rising cost of water at that property. Owners spent a ton of money trying to make it work! They actually just bought another golf course in San Diego in April and seem to be really happy! Water situation is much better.