WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Merc 525 HP Outboard

Done-it-again

Reaction score
For public or just for racing teams? I can see one coming out, but not for the general boater.

hallett21

Reaction score
Tuned up 450? Or another 600 monster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Don't the reflashed 450Rs make around 500HP anyway. Seems like this is an easy way for Merc to make another $8-10K per engine :) Of course a 500+ HP offering was coming.

Reactions: DWC

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Good deals on used 450’s will be right around the corner if this is true.
I thought the same thing about 400's when the 450's hit market. I've never looked, did used 400's ever flood the market? I dont think they did because the controls were different or something to that effect, making retrofit an expensive proposition. Plus the price of the 450's was quite a jump from the 400's

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Don't the reflashed 450Rs make around 500HP anyway. Seems like this is an easy way for Merc to make another $8-10K per engine :) Of course a 500+ HP offering was coming.
They're taking a page out of the Apple playbook.......develop a platform and then give it a bump every 18 months and roll out a new top dog

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
They're taking a page out of the Apple playbook.......develop a platform and then give it a bump every 18 months and roll out a new top dog

Yea Ray Charles saw this coming at some point.

I thought I had read somewhere when the 450 came out that is would be the base platform for future variants.

Perlmudder

Reaction score
If it is based off the 450, I don't see this happening. There is still huge demand for the 450 and massive wait times to get new ones. Why would Mercury cut the demand on the 450's when they could hold on for a couple more years selling absolutely every unit they can. In a couple of years, all those 450's will be coming up to the end of their warranty period, then release a new engine and have all the big dogs replace their 450's with the newest model. I have no doubt that the 450 can make a bunch more power, I just don't see them releasing a replacement until they have squeezed every drop out of the 450 market.

pixrthis

Reaction score
I thought the same thing about 400's when the 450's hit market. I've never looked, did used 400's ever flood the market? I dont think they did because the controls were different or something to that effect, making retrofit an expensive proposition. Plus the price of the 450's was quite a jump from the 400's

I know used 300’s were cheaper after the 400’s were released. I believe there will be a handful of twin outboard owners that will upgrade.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If it is based off the 450, I don't see this happening. There is still huge demand for the 450 and massive wait times to get new ones. Why would Mercury cut the demand on the 450's when they could hold on for a couple more years selling absolutely every unit they can. In a couple of years, all those 450's will be coming up to the end of their warranty period, then release a new engine and have all the big dogs replace their 450's with the newest model. I have no doubt that the 450 can make a bunch more power, I just don't see them releasing a replacement until they have squeezed every drop out of the 450 market.

To your point, it is not If, but when. I don't see them going out that far. They may simply want to upsell those already waiting for an engine. There is demand out there to capture.

Singleton

Reaction score

they will be 15-25k more then the 450’s, with COGs not that much more then the 450.
it will actually improve revenue and margins

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Heres why I am a Mercury outboard fan…….. The frigging Yamaha is the most stolen engine in the world. You have Merc’s mounted to the transom and you can leave the keys in the ignition!

I have lost count of the number of people that have boated over to the Bahamas, only to have their boat stolen and recovered without their Yammies.

It just so happens I have a Yamaha motor! Lol

My Bahamas insurance is insane too!

IMO….. The weight of the 525 will be the key to its success or not. The Yamaha 425, Merc 600, and Seven Marine Outboards are so heavy, you can’t just mount them to any boat. If they weigh the same as the 450R’s, it will be a home run!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

Couldn't you say this is just out of the GM LS playbook also?... just add displacement, heads, cams and/or boost up to about 1200 hp

hallett21

Reaction score
Heres why I am a Mercury outboard fan…….. The frigging Yamaha is the most stolen engine in the world. You have Merc’s mounted to the transom and you can leave the keys in the ignition!

I have lost count of the number of people that have boated over to the Bahamas, only to have their boat stolen and recovered without their Yammies.

It just so happens I have a Yamaha motor! Lol

My Bahamas insurance is insane too!

IMO….. The weight of the 525 will be the key to its success or not. The Yamaha 425, Merc 600, and Seven Marine Outboards are so heavy, you can’t just mount them to any boat. If they weigh the same as the 450R’s, it will be a home run!

Lol haulover inlet Instagram just had guys that got popped with twin yamahas. I think they were running weed or coke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I know used 300’s were cheaper after the 400’s were released. I believe there will be a handful of twin outboard owners that will upgrade.

How about all the Big Center Consoles with 5 and 6 450's though...

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Couldn't you say this is just out of the GM LS playbook also?... just add displacement, heads, cams and/or boost up to about 1200 hp
The LS is a very upgradable platform, so if the new merc V8 is overbuilt the way the LS is, it could possibly go alot further than currently taxed.
But instead of GM rolling out a "bumped" version every 18 months, kids are rolling them out and slapping ebay turbos on and giving them the moon tune

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
That ship has sailed. The money is in big power outboards.

pffft.

94F070CB-222A-4AD7-9061-134EA7AF00CD.png

Last edited:

Duramax

Reaction score
IMG_2434.PNG

Nothing like the smell of Klotz on the launch ramp. =) Still am in love with my twins.

Mercury is amazing. Literally everything they do is a homerun. Put these up for sale and they would be gone in 2hrs.

The 300-400-450-600.....700-1100-1350-1750.....There is just no stopping mother Mercury.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
The LS is a very upgradable platform, so if the new merc V8 is overbuilt the way the LS is, it could possibly go alot further than currently taxed.
But instead of GM rolling out a "bumped" version every 18 months, kids are rolling them out and slapping ebay turbos on and giving them the moon tune

The 300 is 87 octane... I would say there is a BUNCH of power still sleeping in there!

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Why would Mercury cut the demand on the 450's ....

If the new 500 or 525 version is based off the 450, their profit margin on the new ones will be way higher (selling the same thing for way more money).
This puts $$$ in the executives quarterly bonus.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Warranty extensions may come into play..there is a cutoff for them...part of why we picked the engine we did. Would be interested to see what they will offer as far as gold/plat extensions if they offer it at all.

instagator

Reaction score
I agree !

Sandbarhoppen

Reaction score
New 500+hp...awesome. But I am still waiting for the prop shafts and the upgraded shafts on my 400s? Mercury please fix this first. Thanks