WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can solar be done right? If so how?

kurtis500

Reaction score
I read through some threads and get the point that leasing is probably a bad idea. My neighbor went solar and paid to buy it. Upwards of 30k if I remember right. I’m just curious if there’s any good method to do solar? For example, my Phoenix house is 3200 sqft with a shop and 3 AC’s total making for a mortgage size electricity payment in the summer. Is there a way to do it or is the break over point 20-30 years out? I’ve owned the house for 23 years already.
Thoughts?

Boat 405

Reaction score
Got to pay for it one way or another. I did a paid in full up front 24 panel system and only regret i didn't do it sooner. Might add a few more panels next year. My break point is 7 years.

Reactions: DWC

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
DON"'T switch to LED or ANY other energy saving device........ they will only allow you to install a system to handle the LOAD you currently have. If you switch to energy saving stuff - you will be limited to the size of your system. With that said.. lease=bad. normally on a good system, it takes 5-7 years to break even.

GET A LOT OF QUOTES ON YOUR PROJECT .......... RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH......... DO NOT LEASE

J&k beer can

Reaction score
Buy it..
Get regular loan.
Do A helco loan.
Beg borrower steal.
don't lease.
We bought Nov. 15 and it's just about paid for its self..
we are in with unused power goes back in system and we get credit..
Bill has been about $50-100 for the year. Comes every December.

WYRD

Reaction score
Buy a house with paid off solar system. Market dictates pricing so essentially solar was thrown in for free...that's what I did. System covered 123% of my first year and now averages 85-90% because I built an air conditioned shop added ac to garage and keep my house prepared for any witches titties that might stop by

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Do an energy survey of your houses electrical needs. Maybe you only need a smaller setup to run refrigerator, lights, other appliances, etc year round. Then just pay the electric company for extra useage in the summer months to run a/c. To me it’s kind of a waste to pay for a huge system you only use for 4 months a year. It’s a lot less up front money out of pocket going this route and provides the biggest savings.

Wayn-o

Reaction score
I put mine in last November. Typically rule of thumb for this area is it makes sense if your monthly bill averages $150 or more or the payback just gets longer. Size it for 80% of your total load . You dont get the same rate back on credits that you generate because you are not paying for transmission fees, generating fees, bullshit fees, etc. You can oversize but the cost goes up a bit. Some utilities will only allow you up to xxx size of your total load. A way to get past that is to have an electric car charger on the inverter. Then the system size can be upsized a little. I had mine engineered with that inverter, but didnt install it. Mostly same model number except for the last few numbers and the city nor the utility caught it. My monthly bill averaged $142 so the payback is a like 7 years, but the AC has run for months now and owe $36 since last November so far. They still hit you with the basic utility fees every month as you are still grid tied.
BUY your system if you can- PPA leases are a cheap way to get a fixed bill with no money out of pocket but get very messy when the property is sold. The systems are sold as a "financial instrument", not like buying a car or boat. Investors paid for that system and you are paying them a a flat monthly fee to buy power that was generated from that system. Its their system. They put in all sorts of stipulations for when the property is sold like having to pay off the entire system cost first etc. Gets ugly.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Before anything...before quotes, before you do anything... Read and fully understand your utilities current net metering agreement and if/when it changes over time. This greatly dictates whether it will be "worth it." Are you in APS or SRP? If you are in ED3 I wouldn't even bother looking into it.

Avoid leases, and PPA's unless you are older and have zero tax liability and never intend to sell your home.

Stay away from "big name solar lenders" they charge contractor fee's that range anywhere from 5-32% of the value of the project...which is just added to the gross of what you pay.... Use a local lender, heloc, etc. The only 2 companies that have a no contractor fee program worth it IMO is Ezsolarloan.com & HSFCU...which other than Tim in HI I doubt anyone here could use that option.

get no less than 3 bids...not all equipment is created equal. Sales comms can be big bucks on these deals so shady reps will lay on the pressure. Most numbers you get will be pre-padded with finance fees to give you payment numbers..and a "low APR" which is BS due to the fees built in.. You negotiate down from there.

Understand that solar is a bell curve on production and how that will work in terms of your situation....and you're net metering agreement. It's also very important to use good inverters in AZ...the heat kills stuff so warranty is key.

I disagree 100% with any recommendation of oversizing etc for more reasons than I have time to type out at the moment. I highly encourage you to do an energy audit...some of the utilities cover the cost (its cheap anyway). Insulation/LED/duct sealing etc will help reduce consumption thus reducing your cost of installation..

I would never do solar if the payout gets past 8-12 years...your issue in phoenix isn't really electricity costs...its consumption. If it's something you get serious about PM me and I'll give you a couple guys to call and talk to down there.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I paid cash and installed 34 panels myself. Got it for about 1/2 what my bids had been. First years paid 0 bills until the rules changed so now I pay the hookup of 20.94 a month now is all. Covered my cost in about 6 years.
System is not really hard to install.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I paid cash and installed 34 panels myself. Got it for about 1/2 what my bids had been. First years paid 0 bills until the rules changed so now I pay the hookup of 20.94 a month now is all. Covered my cost in about 6 years.
System is not really hard to install.

You installed the panels yourself but what about the inverter and grid tie components?

Obviously the traditional solar companies will continue to promote utility tied solar because that's how they make money. But I am with you and I am doing it myself. I would just put in a critical loads panel and match that to a lifepo4 powerwall and avoid the utility grid tie all together. 48v 100 ah batteries are down to $1650, even cheaper if you build your own.

By staying away from contractors and the utility you get full retail on the KwH you consume and in the event of a power outage, you are the only one on the block with the lights on.

Last edited:

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Paid for a 42 panel install 5 years ago next week, system paid for itself about 6 months ago. Painful to write the check up front for 4.5 years of elec bills but I am over the hump now, house is cold and electricity is almost FREE.. :)

MCnParker

Reaction score
Palomar Solar who is a sponsor on this page, @BasilHayden is part of. We got multiple quotes and they blew everyone out of the water by far. They spent the time to do review our energy usage, explain the pros and cons of all the options all with no pressure to purchase at all. I can not say enough about their company and business model. I would do as everyone says, get a bunch of quotes and then call Palomar and compare for yourself.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Palomar Solar who is a sponsor on this page, @BasilHayden is part of. We got multiple quotes and they blew everyone out of the water by far. They spent the time to do review our energy usage, explain the pros and cons of all the options all with no pressure to purchase at all. I can not say enough about their company and business model. I would do as everyone says, get a bunch of quotes and then call Palomar and compare for yourself.

OP is in phoenix...

TCHB

Reaction score
I bought our system this year. $14,400 out of pocket after federal tax credit. My system is a Panasonic 8K system. So far through August my Ebills are $13.46 per month.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Talk to others that went with the company that you will probably use. Get their takes.

That company should do ALL the work. Not spread out a half dozen different subs.
Unresolved problems lead to finger pointing.

It's actually quite simple and why so many shoddy hit and run shysters are out there.

The power companies don't want anymore glut of solar feeding back into their system for lots of reasons.

Its why system has to be matched to your homes current electrical draw. They want you to pay them, not them pay you.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I bought our system this year. $14,400 out of pocket after federal tax credit. My system is a Panasonic 8K system. So far through August my Ebills are $13.46 per month.
That's about right where you should be. Thumbs up. The Panasonics are Da Fine'ez Kine'.
Our average quote was $33.000.

TCHB

Reaction score
SolUp in Henderson did our instal.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
You installed the panels yourself but what about the inverter and grid tie components?

Obviously the traditional solar companies will continue to promote utility tied solar because that's how they make money. But I am with you and I am doing it myself. I would just put in a critical loads panel and match that to a lifepo4 powerwall and avoid the utility grid tie all together. 48v 100 ah batteries are down to $1650, even cheaper if you build your own.

By staying away from contractors and the utility you get full retail on the KwH you consume and in the event of a power outage, you are the only one on the block with the lights on.

I did everything thing all wiring panels and tie in. All unisource did was come out and set the 2 new meters.
After tax credits I am in about 9k. You can write off a lot when you do it yourself.

badgas

Reaction score
I had a quote from Energy Sage https://www.energysage.com

They are sort of like a Trucar for solar. They will put all the companies in competition against each. I had apples to apples bids from same companies that were $10K less when bidding with energy sage vs going direct to company. In the end you deal with the solar company but the bidding is handled by energy sage.

I think to stroke a check the break even was 6-7 if you factor in tax savings.

I just get cold feet becasue my roof is like 26 years old and I keep saying i'n gonna sell my house so I back out.

That and I don't have the money 😂

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind talking to Basil Hayden, if he comes up to Upland.

kurtis500

Reaction score
I Will definitely look into my current usage and which plan I have with APS. If all lines up I think I’ll jump on this. You guys are great, thanks for all the info!

BasilHayden

Reaction score

He bought the engineered system from me and did the install himself. Unfortunately I no longer offer this option, it actually took us more work than doing the installs ourselves. I tried to help inmates, but in the end have decided I cant support in this way.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
I had a quote from Energy Sage https://www.energysage.com

They are sort of like a Trucar for solar. They will put all the companies in competition against each. I had apples to apples bids from same companies that were $10K less when bidding with energy sage vs going direct to company. In the end you deal with the solar company but the bidding is handled by energy sage.

I think to stroke a check the break even was 6-7 if you factor in tax savings.

I just get cold feet becasue my roof is like 26 years old and I keep saying i'n gonna sell my house so I back out.

That and I don't have the money 😂
Energy sage is bullshit

You can get a quote, but you wont get a quality system and you will end up paying more once they actually look at the house. Sorry but quality installers will not be looking at your job.

BasilHayden

Reaction score

Thanks
But please get quotes from real installers, not crap like energysage or other broker type sites. I can promise if you're in my region, I will be competitve but you will actually get a better system and when you call 5 years later I will still answer the phone. Yes Im a part of it, its my company, lol.

DUNEFLYER

Reaction score
Palomar Solar (Andy) are the real deal. My system is 5 years old. Edison was jacking me around on my latest bills so I sent a copy of the bill to Andy's people. They took the time to research and call edison and got things straightened out. Good peeps, good company.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
That and Panasonic no longer in the marketplace again. Good luck on the warranty when they no longer have a presence in the market.

Yep..it sucks that they pulled out. Their panels were extremely popular in Hawaii...for a long time.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Before anything...before quotes, before you do anything... Read and fully understand your utilities current net metering agreement and if/when it changes over time. This greatly dictates whether it will be "worth it." Are you in APS or SRP? If you are in ED3 I wouldn't even bother looking into it.

Avoid leases, and PPA's unless you are older and have zero tax liability and never intend to sell your home.

Stay away from "big name solar lenders" they charge contractor fee's that range anywhere from 5-32% of the value of the project...which is just added to the gross of what you pay.... Use a local lender, heloc, etc. The only 2 companies that have a no contractor fee program worth it IMO is Ezsolarloan.com & HSFCU...which other than Tim in HI I doubt anyone here could use that option.

get no less than 3 bids...not all equipment is created equal. Sales comms can be big bucks on these deals so shady reps will lay on the pressure. Most numbers you get will be pre-padded with finance fees to give you payment numbers..and a "low APR" which is BS due to the fees built in.. You negotiate down from there.

Understand that solar is a bell curve on production and how that will work in terms of your situation....and you're net metering agreement. It's also very important to use good inverters in AZ...the heat kills stuff so warranty is key.

I disagree 100% with any recommendation of oversizing etc for more reasons than I have time to type out at the moment. I highly encourage you to do an energy audit...some of the utilities cover the cost (its cheap anyway). Insulation/LED/duct sealing etc will help reduce consumption thus reducing your cost of installation..

I would never do solar if the payout gets past 8-12 years...your issue in phoenix isn't really electricity costs...its consumption. If it's something you get serious about PM me and I'll give you a couple guys to call and talk to down there.

Some good info in here, generally Ace and I agree on most...

Az solar is difficult, your cost of power is so low, I'm not sure you can get the system less than a 7 year payback, there is a reason I am not yet in Az doing installs

Avoid leases and PPA's period, nuff said

Stay away from Nationals, they are all crooks, do crap work, wont support you down the road, will screw you at every turn, etc...Oh wait he was talking about the lenders. Well same applies there too. We use Wheelhouse, a local credit union, we only offer low year, no fee programs. Yes they have the low interest high fee and even long term programs, but I wont offer it as they are not good for you. I would rather explain why you should pay a little more today to save a lot more over time. Generally I can still get your payment equivelent to what you pay now, for more power.

I disagree on the 3 bids only because you have me as a resource and I will tell you the truth, Ive been doing this for 12 years as a friend of RDP, but the general concept of 3 bids isnt terrible, just know now you have to decide if the other 2 are lying to you or is it my guy thats lying...all equipment isnt equal, in fact you get what you pay for. I will only sell you enphase microinverters and most likely LG panels. I can guarantee the quality and warranty support if its needed. All other inverters are CRAP, other panels do not have the warranty support I can guarantee through LG.

I totally disagree with not oversizing, sorry but we cant agree on everything. ALL customers use more power post solar, its a fact. Most at least 10% more, some as much as 50% more. This is without adding a pool, AC or EV. The utilities will continue to try to screw you post solar, the extra production screens you from this. I get calls everyday from people asking to add panels. Guess what it cost a lot to add 6 panels next year, very little to add them today while we are installing the other 20.
No one complains about having too much power!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Palomar Solar (Andy) are the real deal. My system is 5 years old. Edison was jacking me around on my latest bills so I sent a copy of the bill to Andy's people. They took the time to research and call edison and got things straightened out. Good peeps, good company.

What was Edison doing? I might be in the same boat, not sure.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
What was Edison doing? I might be in the same boat, not sure.

They claimed they through away his overproduction in August. In checking they claimed that was in error, they absolutely arent allowed to do that, but don't put anything past the utilities, if they can screw you they will.

They are definately changing plans again, and revising rates. That and they are about to change to NEM3 in California. This will change the game again as well, but I am confident that while you will be paying a procrastination tax, I will still be able to save you substancial money in California.

Please dont call and ask to get installed before the NEM3 change, you probably already missed that boat. I am mostly booked through end of year already. A few contracts being signed this month have a chance at this year, but most are already heading to 2022. It is flat crazy.

DUNEFLYER

Reaction score
Not sure edison isnt still messing with me..
The bill has that box that says my generation has been reduced because I over produced. Edison's answer was oops that box should not be on your bill, we will get that removed. But they said there was no reduction and the bill is correct. Now I just have to pay a bit more attention to my bills/production.
edison4.jpg

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
They claimed they through away his overproduction in August. In checking they claimed that was in error, they absolutely arent allowed to do that, but don't put anything past the utilities, if they can screw you they will.

They are definately changing plans again, and revising rates. That and they are about to change to NEM3 in California. This will change the game again as well, but I am confident that while you will be paying a procrastination tax, I will still be able to save you substancial money in California.

Please dont call and ask to get installed before the NEM3 change, you probably already missed that boat. I am mostly booked through end of year already. A few contracts being signed this month have a chance at this year, but most are already heading to 2022. It is flat crazy.
I realize that you don't do AZ but do you have a recommendation for someone that does?

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Palomar got us going in July. Easy process, easy to work with. So far, so good I think.
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 11.08.19 AM.png

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I read through some threads and get the point that leasing is probably a bad idea. My neighbor went solar and paid to buy it. Upwards of 30k if I remember right. I’m just curious if there’s any good method to do solar? For example, my Phoenix house is 3200 sqft with a shop and 3 AC’s total making for a mortgage size electricity payment in the summer. Is there a way to do it or is the break over point 20-30 years out? I’ve owned the house for 23 years already.
Thoughts?
Here are a couple questions.

Who is running your daily operations at your power plant.
Who is going on the roof to inspect and repair your power plant?
In 15-30 years, how much will it cost to keep your power plant operational?
When the roof leaks, how much will it cost to install a new one/fix the old one. And who does the solar removal install while that happens.

Someone needs to operate your power plant. You need compatible parts when something fails in 5-10-30 years.
Phoenix has ok Electric rates, but the summers work our AC units 24 hrs a day.
I found if I replace my Air filter every two weeks May-September, I can save $20-35 a month. But my bill to run my house 2150sqft house and a 600sqft workshop, and keep it set st 73 F, is $485mo

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Sorry I was late to the party on this thread, but I have been out of town for the last couple weeks...

First a week in Idaho installing the first ever true off grid system for Enphase on a ranch that is truly middle of nowhere. 600 acres in the middle of BLM land north of Gooding Id. When I got there it was effectively powered by generators, they ran almost non stop. Since I left the genset is on standby, it has only exercized weekly to keep it ready to go, but the solar and battery backup are now powering the 3500sf home, 1200sf guest home, Barn and home water well. Diesel genset still running the irragation well, I could get that as well but maybe another trip. The boys loved the trip, after work they ate and drank well, and I may have brought a few rifles for them to play with from Havasu. Went through a couple 1000 rounds, they were having way to much fun.

Barn 1.jpg
Barn 2.jpg
batt room 1.jpg
batt room 2.jpg
House.jpg

I will soon be offering this as a Palomar service, if you are serious and understand this isnt for the timid, defintely not a DIY or for those who want it cheap, reach out to me directly and I can walk you through it. Again true Off grid but with the power needed to actually run an estate is available. We are more than a year ahead of the curve on this, not officially released but its good to be the guy who helps design the product. Real battery back systems are already a reality for those who are on grid but in a area that suffers outages commonly.

House.jpg

I then came home to pack and off to Wisconsin, Road America is an epic race track. Its f...ing unreal. Mostly successful weekend, other than the Argentinian jackass that hit the Datsun. The Ginetta swept every race and session, and I was very happy with my progress in the BMW for my first time there. I ran with the top group of BSedans and was well in front of many Porsche's and Z cars.
BMW.jpg
Datsun.jpg
G16.jpg

Road America.jpg

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Here are a couple questions.

Who is running your daily operations at your power plant.
Who is going on the roof to inspect and repair your power plant?
In 15-30 years, how much will it cost to keep your power plant operational?
When the roof leaks, how much will it cost to install a new one/fix the old one. And who does the solar removal install while that happens.

Someone needs to operate your power plant. You need compatible parts when something fails in 5-10-30 years.
Phoenix has ok Electric rates, but the summers work our AC units 24 hrs a day.
I found if I replace my Air filter every two weeks May-September, I can save $20-35 a month. But my bill to run my house 2150sqft house and a 600sqft workshop, and keep it set st 73 F, is $485mo

It runs itself, my team will recieve messages should something need attention, you can watch ir 24/7 if you dont have a life. Even Bildo gave up on that after a month.
My team inspected the roof before we installed, if you have a problem down the road you call me and I can repair as needed. Ie if its our fault we will R&R as needed, most likely you were to cheap to replace the roof up front and so now you get to pay us to R&R and do your roof. But since both the roofing and the solar are done by my teams in house, no one can point fingers. I can guarantee if you use separate roofers and solar, they will both point at the other and you get to be the man out in the middle.

Todays solar is truly a 25 year solution, so no additional cost. I have many at 10 years still going strong. BTW, not many live in their home that long, but should you sell, I put a plaque on your main service panel with my number to call if you have any problems, not may installers leave their name.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
It runs itself, my team will recieve messages should something need attention, you can watch ir 24/7 if you dont have a life. Even Bildo gave up on that after a month.
My team inspected the roof before we installed, if you have a problem down the road you call me and I can repair as needed. Ie if its our fault we will R&R as needed, most likely you were to cheap to replace the roof up front and so now you get to pay us to R&R and do your roof. But since both the roofing and the solar are done by my teams in house, no one can point fingers. I can guarantee if you use separate roofers and solar, they will both point at the other and you get to be the man out in the middle.

Todays solar is truly a 25 year solution, so no additional cost. I have many at 10 years still going strong. BTW, not many live in their home that long, but should you sell, I put a plaque on your main service panel with my number to call if you have any problems, not may installers leave their name.

What input voltage of the system (inverter/battery)? How many watts of solar panels? How many Amp Hours or Watt hours of battery storage?

Done-it-again

Reaction score

You guys installed solar for me 4ish years ago. So I’m not worried about getting in before NEM3 as I’m in NEM1 already. Lol

liv4riv

Reaction score
Basilhayden Can you design a system to run just my pool pump ?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Basilhayden Can you design a system to run just my pool pump ?
I'm sure he will chime back in, but I know that enphase (he's a dealer/installer) has load control systems now..its actually really cool.

badgas

Reaction score
Energy sage is bullshit

You can get a quote, but you wont get a quality system and you will end up paying more once they actually look at the house. Sorry but quality installers will not be looking at your job.

All I can do is share with the OP my own experience. I had bids personally from Peterson Dean, Solarmax, sunrun, Solar City. When I got the Solarmax bid from energyage it was $10K less than when I was dealing with Solarmax directly. I started moving forward and was dealing with project mgr from Solarmax. The bid was Apples to Apples. Same panels with exact Panasonic part numbers , Solaredge monitor and inverters etc. The parts and install quote were the same. Same warranties same company.

Like I said I backed out becasue I did not have enough cash on hand and I don't borrow money.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
All I know is it depends on where you’re at and who your energy provider is. Here in as part of Arizona the utility is Salt River Project and they’ve made it so it’s near impossible to get any kind of ROI on installing solar which is obviously how they want it. Once you have solar installed the price of electricity goes so far down that the payback takes forever.

You’ll also want to take a look at the age of your roof before installing your system on it as that may need to be done before.

If any of this information is wrong per the RDP experts please ignore it 😂 😂 😂

TCHB

Reaction score
I think solar adds some value to the property. If you spend $20k out of pocket it should bring back $10k of value in higher priced home. Now do your ROI. You can go up or down on the value side. Mine is $50%.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
All I can do is share with the OP my own experience. I had bids personally from Peterson Dean, Solarmax, sunrun, Solar City. When I got the Solarmax bid from energyage it was $10K less than when I was dealing with Solarmax directly. I started moving forward and was dealing with project mgr from Solarmax. The bid was Apples to Apples. Same panels with exact Panasonic part numbers , Solaredge monitor and inverters etc. The parts and install quote were the same. Same warranties same company.

Like I said I backed out becasue I did not have enough cash on hand and I don't borrow money.

Ok, but just fyi I stand by my statement. I will also say you were looking at the very Worst to the very bad in terms of possible companies
Peterson Dean - BK, currently under indictment for fraud
Solarmax - federal indictment for tax fraud and immigration fraud
sunrun - lol
solar city - BK, changed to Tesla, I know Elon is God, just wouldn't buy solar from him

Im glad you backed out, it could have been ugly. FYI, I fix all of these companies systems on a regular basis for abandoned customers who got screwed.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
You guys installed solar for me 4ish years ago. So I’m not worried about getting in before NEM3 as I’m in NEM1 already. Lol

This was more directed at other inmates reading the posts sorry, You were in at the right time!