WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ok all you health nuts out there

Backlash

Reaction score
Stick to the basics. Eat healthy, and keep up with the walking. Start doing pushups, sit-ups and burpees. Start with a few each chance you get. Do a few sets throughout the day. Each week, increase those numbers incrementally. No need to buy any new equipment that will just sit around collecting towels. Put yourself in a basic military bootcamp mindset and a simple but effective workout regimen. That's all you really need to do.

Riverhound

Reaction score
Dan, I've been a "big guy" my entire life, and at one point went from being a "big guy" to morbidly obese 360lbs gonna fall over dead any day guy.

Two years ago I decided enough is enough and started making changes. After consulting with an endocrinologist, I started intermittent fasting and a sustainable low-carb diet coupled with moderate exercise. And, yes I still drink when I want.

Fast forward two years and I'm down just over 100lbs and have a goal to lose another 40lbs to get me back to solid 220lbs.

Fasting was easy after a few weeks and the low carb thing is controlled in moderation. I eat what I want but just hold myself accountable to make up for it later. It's really simple stuff, not fad diets, no BS, just basic stuff. My Endocrinologist was awesome, through blood work and a deep understanding of how hormones impact your body, she helped me understand better what my body was doing with certain foods so I could adjust what worked for me.

You got this!

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
Lots of great info in here and I kind of do a mixture of it all. Life got busy for a bit and I went up to 205 from a 187 and single digit body fat. In 4 weeks I recently dropped 25 pounds after having enough. I actually increase the frequency of my meals. I try to put something in my system every 2 to 3 hours. Starts with basic oat meal in the morning followed by a protein shake at work between the morning and lunch. Then chicken and veggies and sometimes some brown rice for lunch basically most days. Some days I'll substitute the protein but I still try to knock the carbs out. Around 3 or 4 I usually have some tuna. Then dinner. If I get a craving after dinner I'll have another protein shake. My exercise consists of a walk on my lunch and either a family walk or short workout in the garage after dinner. I will alternate lunch and the shake depending on my work schedule for that day, but It's the same principle I just adjust to my day and timing.

After I hit the 4 week mark I started to allow myself the weekend to do as I please and remain disciplined during the week. I cut out beer for the most part except when I am at the river or at a function. This allows me to be flexible on the weekend when people want to go out or we go on a trip.

The other key is what one other said. I drink a gallon of water a day.

This has worked for me other than a period of time that life just got way too busy to have any sort or routine or schedule I've tried to follow the variations and being more strict on weekends when necessary or when It's possible and I'm just at home. Snacking is the hardest for me. Eating frequently typically helps with that or fresh smoothies if I'm really craving something on the sweet side.

Best of luck to you!

707dog

Reaction score
sorry op to step on your thread... is anyone doing a plant based diet?? my wife has been slowly introducing this into our weekly menu's and so far the items have been good im not totally sold but on board for thee ride. so just wondering if anyone else is doing it and maybe its something @H20 Toie could look into

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
What was said about alcohol is true. But, I continued to have wine with dinner. No beer, Period. Kept carbs to an absolute minimum. Easy to do these days with the Nutritional Values posted on everything. Kept total calories down. Helping sizes slowly became smaller. No chips, no sodas. Eliminated the White Stuff: potatoes, all bread, all pasta, rice etc. Believe this was pretty much a Keto plan without the demands and instructions. Main courses were small steaks, hamburger steaks, bunless cheese burgers, salmon and tuna steaks. Sides: cauliflower (mashed to the consistency of mashed potatoes. )Add butter, Parmesan, salt and pepper) sautéed fresh green beans (with salt pork, onions and fresh garlic), sautéed cabbage and mushrooms. Hard boiled eggs, canned tuna, and salads. Tried to drink more water than usual.
I was able to lose 55 lbs and have kept it off for over a year. Eased off the obsolete no carbs/no beer. So far, so good.
Your goal of 100 lbs is a substantial challenge. Due to mobility issues I was unable to exorcise. With exorcise your 100 lb goal should be more attainable.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
Lifestyle changes are behavior modifications or habit changes that encourage positive changes in your life. So if you eat 2500 calories in a day you need to burn 2500 calories to stay the same. Do the math and you will be fine.
This is not for everyone , I have a friend that loss weight by eating once a day, a 4 hour (Noon to 4pm) window, Eat whatever you like in the 4 hours otherwise its water/coffee. Going on 3 years with no problems.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Humm this might be more of an issue than I thought

it sounds easy but the game is on

fuck
F9E864AD-1973-4D74-95E8-52C9CC9B69DB.jpeg

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
Well, looks like I'll need to get my translator out tonight.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
@Tank
Dan needs a wake up call. I am guessing 5 AM…give him enough time to figure out if he is sober or he just needs a shot of whiskey in his coffee. 🥃

Orange Juice

Reaction score
So now that my like is changing around for the better, finally have a damn boat, its time to start thinking about my health. according to the doc i'm actually in pretty damn good shape ( don't know how my liver is still doing good but wtf ill take it) any way time to lose weight, not a little but a lot, being 6'4 helps but my goal is to drop 100 pounds, ill still be heavy but thats what i'm shooting for, i'm thinking that drinking might be an issue. this last 6 years i've been on someone else's boat so didn't need to worry about how much so that is changing now, i don't drink at home, no more having couple beers at lunch, I've started walking in the morning, ( right now that really sucks) actually pretty amazed at how out of shape i'm in, haven't been to the gym since covid started, Sodas are out period, and going to go with low carb as much as possible, i'm not trying to just do a fad diet and drop weight that comes right back ( i did medifast years ago and it worked great but not sustainable) I have cut down junk food big time, no fast food, trying not to eat after 7pm

Also i have zero desire to stop drinking 100% but thinking on the times i do have a drink ill do vodka soda with a lime instead of beer, ( shouldn't drink as much because i really don't like it as much as beer) I don't drink and drive the boat so thats easy, and sure plan on spending a lot of time on the boat.
Havasu weekends, key west its on after its parked but rest of the time its time to cut back.

Before covid i was going to the gym 3 days a week and actually i'm pretty strong and could max out some of the machines, but get on the tread mill and i'm done in 20 seconds, so i think stamina is my biggest issue

So i guess my question is am i being realistic thinking that by walking and just cutting the crap food is enough at 62 ( soon to be 63) will work? fucking hills at my house suck big time so for now i drive to flat area but hopefully soon will do the hills.

the goal being to jog/ run the couple miles in the morning not just walk. going to the gym was great my trainer kicked my ass but never lost any weight just got more flexible and stronger

Who are you living with? It’s really hard to adjust your life style, if not everyone is on board in the house.
If you’re in your 50’s or above, look at your mental health as well. There are reasons, some of us drink more than others when we reach 50. I still enjoy one or two pints a day, but learned from a Mayo doctor, there are things a guy can take (prescription), to offset some of these anxiety issues.
It certainly was a noticeable edge at work, and projects around the house, giving me increased motivation. It almost stopped the craving for food.
You’ll also be motivated to work on that 4 mile walk you’ve been building on.

charred1

Reaction score
Just getting started, remember 10% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Designated Drivers of Santa Clarita awesome

JDKRXW

Reaction score
So now that my like is changing around for the better, finally have a damn boat, its time to start thinking about my health.

I highly recommend you start by watching this video. If it scares you the way it did me ... you'll be on the right track. Sugar, particularly hfcs WILL shorten your life.
He very clearly explains why it's only a matter of time til almost everyone in US and Canada is diabetic.

I also follow this guy.
He's a big proponent of intermittent fasting (one meal a day ... and longer) AND a high fat keto diet. His focus is to increase insulin sensitivity. If you're insulin resistant - your liver is going to take all the carbs you eat and convert them into body fat. By reducing carb intake, you reduce the need for insulin and over time your body becomes more sensitive to it. To be clear, the high fat part is very specific - butter, olive oil, mct oil and NO seed oils (corn/canola/sunflower/peanut etc). He has lots of videos and some seem counter intuitive, but I was on the verge of a high blood pressure prescription. After going keto 2 years ago, I lost close to 50 lbs, my BP went to the middle of the normal range, I sleep way better / stopped snoring and my A1C / blood sugar dropped significantly.

Edit: One other thing about intermittent fasting - there's pretty much zero doubt that it's very good for you health wise. It's also FAR, FAR easier to do if your on a low carb diet. I usually go 18 hrs without eating and 2-3 times/month ill go 48 hrs.... and it's shocking how good you feel when you do it.

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I explain this to a lot of folks that thought they had been picking a low fat option.

The problem is that food labels now express fat content as a weight vs calories, which doesn’t mean a lot in this case because you are counting calories. The same weight of fat produces over double the calories as same weight of carb or protein. Like burning the same amount of different wood makes more BTUs than other types, fat makes more calories gram for gram.

Just do the math off any food label knowing that each gram of fat makes 9 calories and divide that into the total calories per severing to the get the real percentage of fat.

Take 2% milk.
120 calories
5 grams are fat so 5x9 = 45 calories. So 45 calories of the 120 calorie serving are fat or roughly 40% (37.5) of what you are consuming is fat. If you are trying to keep fat intake to 20% you just doubled your fat intact drinking so called 2% milk.

Turkey can be the same way and at a restaurant worse, it doesn’t matter if it’s turkey or beef fat is fat. Just do the math: total fat grams x 9 / total calories.

80% lean ground beef or turkey....lol it’s 71% fat. Thats about the standard for a burger out because it taste so good and juicy.

So the calorie value is 40% fat. I get that. That is different than saying 2% milk is 40% fat, IMO. 40% of the calories are fat calories. Your line of thinking would say that a half teaspoon of coconut oil in my coffee would make my coffee 100% fat. Not true, IMO. But it's just a difference of perspective. Thanks for the clarification.

2Driver

Reaction score
Yes that would be correct, 100% of the calories consumed in that drink would be fat.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Dan, I've been a "big guy" my entire life, and at one point went from being a "big guy" to morbidly obese 360lbs gonna fall over dead any day guy.

Two years ago I decided enough is enough and started making changes. After consulting with an endocrinologist, I started intermittent fasting and a sustainable low-carb diet coupled with moderate exercise. And, yes I still drink when I want.

Fast forward two years and I'm down just over 100lbs and have a goal to lose another 40lbs to get me back to solid 220lbs.

Fasting was easy after a few weeks and the low carb thing is controlled in moderation. I eat what I want but just hold myself accountable to make up for it later. It's really simple stuff, not fad diets, no BS, just basic stuff. My Endocrinologist was awesome, through blood work and a deep understanding of how hormones impact your body, she helped me understand better what my body was doing with certain foods so I could adjust what worked for me.

You got this!

And tell everyone how you feel now, or how much better you feel now. Nice work.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I highly recommend you start by watching this video. If it scares you the way it did me ... you'll be on the right track. Sugar, particularly hfcs WILL shorten your life.
He very clearly explains why it's only a matter of time til almost everyone in US and Canada is diabetic.
There is also a great movie. It's called "That Sugar Film." Quite an eye-opener for me.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I knew posting something useful in this thread was going to be a waste of time!!!! Lol
Actually I do really appreciate all the feed back and have been reading all the posts. I do need to change my habits. Last night was just stupidity on my part.
Lot of crap going on in my life ( like usual and I let it get to me.) so just have to be smarter. I really do want to do this and need to do this.

Thank all of you for the advice

FYI I don't drink coffee and now without soda zero caffeine. I had quit sodas for at least 5 years until last year so know I can do that.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Pro-tip = switch to MCT oil.
Makes coffee taste better .... and if you add a little butter - you're livin' large 😄

I've tried the MCT. I prefer less processed fat with plain coconut oil and butter. I felt a bit more energy in the morning, not enough to warrant the extra amount of saturated fat I was consuming. Heart disease runs in my family, so it wasn't worth it to me. Once in a while, I put some coconut oil in my coffee, but not usually, especially since I've retired from teaching, LOL. Get up at 7, check the news, go on a run, shower, eat some breakfast, do some writing for 4-6 hours, then it's happy hour. :D

Riverhound

Reaction score
And tell everyone how you feel now, or how much better you feel now. Nice work.
Feel SO MUCH better… crazy how much weight can impact you, and not for the better! I sleep better, less joint pain, my mind is clearer and able to stay focused better and the list goes on.

go pick up a hundred #’s and you realize, holy sh!!, I was carrying that around with me all day, everyday.

Lumpy

Reaction score
So now that my like is changing around for the better, finally have a damn boat, its time to start thinking about my health. according to the doc i'm actually in pretty damn good shape ( don't know how my liver is still doing good but wtf ill take it) any way time to lose weight, not a little but a lot, being 6'4 helps but my goal is to drop 100 pounds, ill still be heavy but thats what i'm shooting for, i'm thinking that drinking might be an issue. this last 6 years i've been on someone else's boat so didn't need to worry about how much so that is changing now, i don't drink at home, no more having couple beers at lunch, I've started walking in the morning, ( right now that really sucks) actually pretty amazed at how out of shape i'm in, haven't been to the gym since covid started, Sodas are out period, and going to go with low carb as much as possible, i'm not trying to just do a fad diet and drop weight that comes right back ( i did medifast years ago and it worked great but not sustainable) I have cut down junk food big time, no fast food, trying not to eat after 7pm

Also i have zero desire to stop drinking 100% but thinking on the times i do have a drink ill do vodka soda with a lime instead of beer, ( shouldn't drink as much because i really don't like it as much as beer) I don't drink and drive the boat so thats easy, and sure plan on spending a lot of time on the boat.
Havasu weekends, key west its on after its parked but rest of the time its time to cut back.

Before covid i was going to the gym 3 days a week and actually i'm pretty strong and could max out some of the machines, but get on the tread mill and i'm done in 20 seconds, so i think stamina is my biggest issue

So i guess my question is am i being realistic thinking that by walking and just cutting the crap food is enough at 62 ( soon to be 63) will work? fucking hills at my house suck big time so for now i drive to flat area but hopefully soon will do the hills.

the goal being to jog/ run the couple miles in the morning not just walk. going to the gym was great my trainer kicked my ass but never lost any weight just got more flexible and stronger

The goal is to not kill yourself trying...lots of good info here. Take the good, bad and throw away the stupid!
You are a big guy! IMO, take it slow. Running would pound your knees to death and pumping iron would pound your heart to death.
Start with a slow and i mean very sloooow regiment that will work for you.
Booz is not your friend but ya don't have to give it up...just pull it back and let go of the beer for a couple months.
Ya don't have to go full keto but backing off carbs is a good thing but not totally. Less beef and more chicken, don't give up the beef but a 1 helping of beef to 3 chicken will help...ya just may get to a point of only chicken. Pork is a great supplement for beef but don't get crazy.
Explore something different, FISH....its not for everyone but a good ahi can be divine as well as Halibut...ahi it probably one of if not the best source of protein on the planet, hell...you can eat it raw from a good source.
Remember what your MOM told you? Eat your veggies!! No need to go crazy but eat em or a low fat salad...its important to flush the shit out!

Water Water Water!!!

Fasting,
Fasting can help you get regimented with your eating schedule...I like the 7pm to 7am. It will help your body but in a way...it can help with your brain!
Sometimes I do 7pm to noon.

Work out............
A man your size needs a pool...you like boats...boats like water...so get in the water.
It's virtually no impact with maximum physical benefit. If you cant tread water in a pool for 30 minutes ya got problems.
Start with thirty daily for two weeks...then an hour a day. Before ya know it...you will be "Lets see what I can fuck with next"!
Treading water is a full body workout and will burn more calories than anything on land.
Once ya lean out a little...you won't have the weight to contend with...neither will your knees.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Actually I do really appreciate all the feed back and have been reading all the posts. I do need to change my habits. Last night was just stupidity on my part.
Lot of crap going on in my life ( like usual and I let it get to me.) so just have to be smarter. I really do want to do this and need to do this.

Thank all of you for the advice

FYI I don't drink coffee and now without soda zero caffeine. I had quit sodas for at least 5 years until last year so know I can do that.

No caffeine??

Man, I couldn't do it. I think I'm addicted to it. 😝

HitIt

Reaction score
go pick up a hundred #’s and you realize, holy sh!!, I was carrying that around with me all day, everyday.
^^^ this for sure. But even on a much smaller scale. Grab two gallons of water (one in each hand) and walk around for a while. It doesn't take long until you realize that it really sucks carrying that around. Most people can probably shed that 15 pounds in 2 months with only a change in their diet.

It is really interesting and awesome seeing how many people are focused on low/no carb, fasting, etc. Diet is indeed, 90+% of weight.

For getting started on exercise, do the personal push up challenge. Pick a number of push ups that is super easy for you to do. Maybe 1, maybe 30 but make sure it is well within your ability at any given time. Do that 3x per day. It will only take a few minutes out of your day and since you chose a super easy number of push ups to do there is no excuse for not doing it. I would bet you a ride in that sweet ass Cig that you will feel mentally and physically better :)

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
The goal is to not kill yourself trying...lots of good info here. Take the good, bad and throw away the stupid!
You are a big guy! IMO, take it slow. Running would pound your knees to death and pumping iron would pound your heart to death.
Start with a slow and i mean very sloooow regiment that will work for you.
Booz is not your friend but ya don't have to give it up...just pull it back and let go of the beer for a couple months.
Ya don't have to go full keto but backing off carbs is a good thing but not totally. Less beef and more chicken, don't give up the beef but a 1 helping of beef to 3 chicken will help...ya just may get to a point of only chicken. Pork is a great supplement for beef but don't get crazy.
Explore something different, FISH....its not for everyone but a good ahi can be divine as well as Halibut...ahi it probably one of if not the best source of protein on the planet, hell...you can eat it raw from a good source.
Remember what your MOM told you? Eat your veggies!! No need to go crazy but eat em or a low fat salad...its important to flush the shit out!

Water Water Water!!!

Fasting,
Fasting can help you get regimented with your eating schedule...I like the 7pm to 7am. It will help your body but in a way...it can help with your brain!
Sometimes I do 7pm to noon.

Work out............
A man your size needs a pool...you like boats...boats like water...so get in the water.
It's virtually no impact with maximum physical benefit. If you cant tread water in a pool for 30 minutes ya got problems.
Start with thirty daily for two weeks...then an hour a day. Before ya know it...you will be "Lets see what I can fuck with next"!
Treading water is a full body workout and will burn more calories than anything on land.
Once ya lean out a little...you won't have the weight to contend with...neither will your knees.
Great advice right there. Smart fella.