WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any Mustang Mach E Owners?

PaPaG

Reaction score
It’s time to retire my wife’s 2011 Audi A4 Wagon with 90K miles. She loves the car but it’s been burning through crankcase oil like crazy the last 5K miles. Our mechanic told us “these engines implode at 100K miles.” Carmax offered us $8,800 until 9/28.

So we checked out the Audi Q3, Q5 and SQ5 and she loves the SQ5. But we’ve never owned an electric car and the new Mach E is intriguing. She rarely drives over 100 miles in a day, probably averages less than 10 a day. We’re thinking maybe now is the time to give one a try. Went to the local Ford dealer and they had two GT Performance models. Top of the line. Couldn’t drive it due to it being a high performance car. Need to convince them you are a serious buyer to do that.

Anyone here have a Mach E that can give a short term ownership report? Or know someone who does? Thanks.

View attachment 1051791
Not sure if any of these units came to the US but something to be aware of.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
My recommendation if that if you think you need 200 mile range, then by a car that advertises a 400 mile range. Catch my drift.

To expand on this excellent point:
If you can’t / aren’t able to charge, then “range” is half of what’s advertised…because you need power to get back home.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
As a former Tesla Model P90 owner.
My advice for anyone looking at EV's is to truly evaluate the range that you need, and fully understand the differences between the advertised range and the real range of the conditions that you drive in.

If you drive in hilly/mountainous areas, then you range will drop significantly. If you are in tempertures above 90 degrees or below 40 degrees your range drops.

The biggest thing of all are the charging networks. Tesla has the best by far, but that doesnt mean that its perfect. Trust me its far from perfect. Just because the app on your phone tells you its a fast charger or a supercharger doesnt always mean that you can charge at that rate.

My recommendation if that if you think you need 200 mile range, then by a car that advertises a 400 mile range. Catch my drift.

Biggest thing of all, when there is a power outage in the area you are in, your fucked if you have to charge your car. PLEASE ASK ME HOW I KNOW

If you been paying attention to the grid lately on the West Coast, its getting more and more un reliable. There are alot of reasons for this that I have addressed in other threads, buts its key reason I no longer own a Tesla.

Exactly. My wife has the 3 "long range", its advertised as 365 miles I believe, thats why we got that one, its there longest range model and we figured it could make it direct to Havasu. Havasu is 277 for her. She cant make it all the way because she drives faster than 65 mph, once you go past that number the range numbers really decline. She runs 80-90 all the way out and she will have to stop in Barstow and charge for about 15 minutes to pick up about 150 more miles while she eats her DelTAco or else she wont make it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
As a former Tesla Model P90 owner.
My advice for anyone looking at EV's is to truly evaluate the range that you need, and fully understand the differences between the advertised range and the real range of the conditions that you drive in.

If you drive in hilly/mountainous areas, then you range will drop significantly. If you are in tempertures above 90 degrees or below 40 degrees your range drops.

The biggest thing of all are the charging networks. Tesla has the best by far, but that doesnt mean that its perfect. Trust me its far from perfect. Just because the app on your phone tells you its a fast charger or a supercharger doesnt always mean that you can charge at that rate.

Biggest thing of all, when there is a power outage in the area you are in, your fucked if you have to charge your car. PLEASE ASK ME HOW I KNOW

If you been paying attention to the grid lately on the West Coast, its getting more and more un reliable. There are alot of reasons for this that I have addressed in other threads, buts its key reason I no longer own a Tesla.

Since you said please...

What happened??

Xring01

Reaction score
I was traveling back from a 3 Day business trip and left Las Vegas, knowing that I would charge in Barstow for about 20-30 minutes ( grab some food at Chili's, cause the chargers are right behind Chilis), on my way back home to Murrieta.

And the power was out in Barstow.... I got stuck. Not enough range to make it to another Charging station. So I had to wait for the power to come back on, to charge to get home.

I have also ran into a similar situation in San Diego once.

When you travel alot for business, and appts are very important, Its not a good idea to miss them, because your car cant charge.

So... I got rid of the Tesla. Its was a great car, did about 85% of what I needed. Range and a couple of times I couldnt charge are the reasons why I got rid of it.

In Vegas... one of the "SuperChargers" I think its in the Tivolli Mall, if my memory is correct. Is advertized as being a super charger... They lie... Lie LIE LIARS.... I can charge faster at my house, than I could at that mall. Worthless chargers. So you run into that type of stuff also.

Taboma

Reaction score
Well after 48 hours of extensive outreach to So Cal Ford dealerships by an auto broker, it appears none of the Mach Es in inventory are available for sale. All were ordered and spoken for.

Two weeks ago we checked out a GT Performance model at Santa Monica Ford that was for sale. It listed at $66K and had a $10K dealer markup. Not only were we not going to pay for that, at that time we had not decided to fully pursue a Mach E. Next day they called and said the GM had removed the $10K, which I thought was odd, because we did not express interest in buying the car if that was removed. We just were not sold on going electric at the time.

Timing is everything, right? A week ago we decide to give it a go, and nothing available!

So we are back on the Audi SQ5, which is just fine. Perhaps when this lease is up we will prepare in advance to go for the Mach E. We shall see.

For you fellow Audi fans, I will post up some pics when we take delivery.

My Wife who drove various Lexus going back to 1991, was turned off by the new Lexus interiors and sharp seat edges on their bottom bolsters, and apparently being marketed to millennials, so a looking we went.

We drove anything and everything on the market in 2016, from sports cars to sedans to SUVs.
Finally came down to two -- the Porsche Macan and the 16' Audi SQ5.
The Porsche Macan with options was more, damn they do love their lengthy option list, but that didn't drive us away to Audi as much as their unwillingness to consider any price negotiations. Which considering limited supply and greater demand at the time, I get it.

She found a black loaded up SQ5 for less, plus a dealer willing to give us a great deal and she was one happy camper, still enjoys it 5 years later.

A couple of minor recalls, other than that the only thing that stings a bit was replacing the soft summer tires. If she drove more miles, I'd probably switch to all-season.

Although I don't get the keys often, it's a kick in the ass to hot-foot around if you're in the mood for fun. I haven't a clue what she's averaging for mileage, but I'm sure with her short, stop and go commute, it's mid to higher-teens at best.

Not long ago I took hers in for service and got a Q3 as a loaner, I was amazed how much fun that 2.0 turbo 4 banger was to pedal and when just cruising it seemed to just sip fuel.
But the Q3 is small inside. I don't think I'd get a Q5 with that 4 banger, the V-6 is way to much fun. Really appreciate the more raised seating position in both the Audi and Macan, she didn't like the BMWs for that reason.
Next time maybe a Macan, then new one looks really sharp.