WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Selling a street bike…

240Hallett

Reaction score
What is the norm as far as test rides go? Do you let someone with unknown riding experience take your cruiser around the block?

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
What is the norm as far as test rides go? Do you let someone with unknown riding experience take your cruiser around the block?

Nope, even if they say they do have experience. They can watch you ride it around the block though. That what I did when I sold my Harley.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
any time i sold a dirtbike (never sold a street bike) i would ride up and down the street so they could see it go though the gears. if they asked to ride it, i ask to get the cash. i only had one guy bitch about it and he left. when i was a buyer it was what i expected to, i dont get to ride it until i hand over cash.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
I have bought and sold a few bikes. I always make a deal that they pay in full in cash and they have 10 minutes to return for a full refund. My address is on the registration so I have nothing to hide.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have person right now that wants to haggle price and test drive even though he can’t buy until his house closes escrow at the end of October.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I have person right now that wants to haggle price and test drive even though he can’t buy until his house closes escrow at the end of October.
Nope, haggle and pay now or no dice. shit like that is the main reason i hate selling stuff. if you dont have cash in hand why even bother picking up the phone to call me.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Nope, haggle and pay now or no dice. shit like that is the main reason i hate selling stuff. if you dont have cash in hand why even bother picking up the phone to call me.
Been bugging since last weekend.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Been bugging since last weekend.
is he the only guy you have calling? i have always been first to show and make an agreeable offer. I have shown up to buy something, only to see it driving away. it sucks but thats the way it goes, first one there with the right offer gets it.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score

LuauLounge

Reaction score
He needs a loan.......available everywhere, he may be able to get an advance on his house deal.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Ive taken the buyer as a passenger for a ride, nuts to butt so to speak, thats all I will do.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
is he the only guy you have calling? i have always been first to show and make an agreeable offer. I have shown up to buy something, only to see it driving away. it sucks but thats the way it goes, first one there with the right offer gets it.
2 or 3 tire kickers bunch of dreamers.

I think this guy is a dreamer.

ATKpilot

Reaction score
I have bought and sold a few bikes. I always make a deal that they pay in full in cash and they have 10 minutes to return for a full refund. My address is on the registration so I have nothing to hide.

This is what I did when I sold my KTM Super Duke, you can't screw around with a 180HP rocket. I also wanted some pedigree before I would even let the buyer swing a leg over it so we talked for a bit. He bought it with a huge smile on is face

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
All the bikes I bought used, the seller said...

You can ride it all you want after you buy it. I was perfectly fine with that.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Ive taken the buyer as a passenger for a ride, nuts to butt so to speak, thats all I will do.
if he wants a ride he can be bitch on the back
I guess I should put the seat back on.:oops:
F5F4931D-6BBC-43E7-A6DA-0B60D9051DFC.jpeg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Full ask Cash in hand. You Break it, you buy it.

This! Only let 2 people ever ride my bike. Selling you can give me cash. You come back in same condition and don’t want it no problem. You crash and don’t want it too bad it is your’s now.

2Driver

Reaction score
Never, I’ve sold more than 25 bikes.

My buddy owns a used dealership in San Diego. He had a customer pick up a fast road bike. The guy drops the clutch at high rpm and launches the bike at the front of his buddy’s car, the bike went up the hood and launched off the windshield over the car.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Bikes are the only thing an idiot buyer can wreck at a standstill. Cash for keys, proof of funds before they sit on it.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
When I was about 14 my father sold a 1969 Corvette that had a 427 and a 4 speed. My dad was/is a very trusting guy and after a test drive took a personal check. The very next day my dad was driving home and saw the Vette in a block wall known for eating cars. My had been busy all day and still had the check in his wallet. He deposited the check first thing the next morning but need less to say was worried all week the check would bounce or be stopped.
Cash only or meeting inside the bank for me.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
What all the others said. You hold my bike while I hold all your cash. If ANYTHING is wrong when you get back, it’s yours. CASH, GREEN FOLDING STUFF - no checks

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I know someone who let a prospective buyer take his street bike for a ride around his cul-de-sac after looking at his license. He watched the guy drive around the cul-de-sac and then take off down the street never to be seen again.

Of course the guy didn't have a car there - his buddy dropped him off and waited down the street to see if he stole the bike.

manxman

Reaction score
The one time I ever let someone ride a bike I was selling, he laid it over!! The guy was an idiot! Came in shorts and a tshirt wearing flip flops.
The bike was a suzuki sv650 and i had stepped up to a z1000. I dont know what i was thinking letting him ride it, but was just happy to have someone wanting to buy it.
After he laid it on its side and did some cosmetic damage, he said he would buy the bike and pay for all the damages. I got super lucky!. I will never let someone test ride a street legal bike again.

OC Mike

Reaction score
Sounds like a Bike thief to me.
Reverse it, would you honestly ask these things of a seller???

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I only ever had 1 bike before my current bike. A 1981 AMF Ironhead. I rode it til the engine blew up and traded it in on a new FXDB. Only way to do it (I even got them to pay of my truck as part of the deal)

I heard later that a mechanic at the dealership got my old bike running again and bought it. My only thought was, "that poor bastard....." It was a piece of shit.