WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Went And Looked At A Development In Havasu...Guess I Wasn't "Baller" Enough

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I was at the river pad. Wife, boys and I went cruising through Havasu. Really don't look around much there. We kind of wanted to see what was new and such. We drove around, looking at neighborhoods and what homes were where. We're not looking to move permanent residence, but will probably upgrade riverpads at some point. It has also been near 15 years since my wife and I actually drove around LHC without a destination.
(Damn, the place has grown!)

Back to our travels. We saw a sign for model homes and "open house". If nothing else, I figured it would give me an idea of the modern floorplans and toy garage layouts. We went in, and made ourselves known to the salesman...the gentleman was possibly late 40s to early 50s...and didn't so much as look up from his phone for but a few seconds. He basically said feel free to look around. No other information given, nothing about what lots were still available, really no interest in speaking to me or my wife at all.
Now, I will admit I was in typical river clothes for me...shorts, T-shirt and my work boots. I guess that doesn't scream high-roller, nor is it fashionable. I just find it a bit odd. The river is quite a bit like people in the world of old cars: You really can't judge a book by it's cover. The guys with money, and without, all really look the same. Be courteous to everyone, until they give you reason not to...at least that's what I was taught.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I always went in to buy vehicles in my work clothes. Amazing the response or lack of that you get
I had money down on a new camaro and sat down with the owner of the dealer
He said to me you must be serious since you're sitting here
WTF?
Took my deposit and went elsewhere

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I was at the river pad. Wife, boys and I went cruising through Havasu. Really don't look around much there. We kind of wanted to see what was new and such. We drove around, looking at neighborhoods and what homes were where. We're not looking to move permanent residence, but will probably upgrade riverpads at some point. It has also been near 15 years since my wife and I actually drove around LHC without a destination.

Back to our travels. We saw a sign for model homes and "open house". If nothing else, I figured it would give me an idea of the modern floorplans and toy garage layouts. We went in, and made ourselves known to the salesman...the gentleman was possibly late 40s to early 50s...and didn't so much as look up from his phone for but a few seconds. He basically said feel free to look around. No other information given, nothing about what lots were still available, really no interest in speaking to me or my wife at all.
Now, I will admit I was in typical river clothes for me...shorts, T-shirt and my work boots. I guess that doesn't scream high-roller, nor is it fashionable. I just find it a bit odd. The river is quite a bit like people in the world of old cars: You really can't judge a book by it's cover. The guys with money, and without, all really look the same. Be courteous to everyone, until they give you reason not to...at least that's what I was taught.
I never judge a book by the cover , I have some friends farmers / ranchers you never knew they had millions $ and acres of land very kool peeps 😎

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I always went in to buy vehicles in my work clothes. Amazing the response or lack of that you get
WTF?
Had an acquaintance that was the lead singer in a fairly popular band. (He's since gone full libtard...thus "had") He was at a Harley dealer, and was straddling a bike to see how it felt. The salesperson asked him to get out...well, he did. Went and bought the same bike elsewhere.

Also had a female friend go looking at a Mercedes dealer. She was off shift from the hospital, wearing sweat pants and a T-shirt. They kind of just ignored her. She went across the street, and bought a new Dodge pickup!

Taboma

Reaction score

Were you wearing a RDP shirt ? Wearing one in Havasu will often elicit this type of a reaction 😁

Back off.JPG

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

If you ever want to go look at properties, even if you aren’t in the market right now..

And I’m speaking to everyone here..

Goto the rdp office and ask for an agent. 🤨

They will take you and show you anything you want to see and are versed in everything.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Btw - I heard a story from my buddy in Prescott that he knows a local ranch/farm family that own the first Ferrari built. Dirt road to the barn, but unreal car collection inside. He said from appearances from anyone in the family that you would never know, they all rode horses and don’t mind getting a little dusty, true wealth is humble.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Had an acquaintance that was the lead singer in a fairly popular band. (He's since gone full libtard...thus "had") He was at a Harley dealer, and was straddling a bike to see how it felt. The salesperson asked him to get out...well, he did. Went and bought the same bike elsewhere.

Also had a female friend go looking at a Mercedes dealer. She was off shift from the hospital, wearing sweat pants and a T-shirt. They kind of just ignored her. She went across the street, and bought a new Dodge pickup!
I bought a bike from Justin at River rats motorsports a few years ago and looking for a cruiser so I went back
Lights were on and some guy walks out side door with some parts and 6 people by the sales desk
I walk in and look around and Justin says we're closed come back tomorrow. I laughed and walked out
Went to Gear Up motorsports and Carrie was super helpful and I bought a Harley.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If you ever want to go look at properties, even if you aren’t in the market right now..

And I’m speaking to everyone here..

Goto the rdp office and ask for an agent. 🤨

They will take you and show you anything you want to see and are versed in everything.
Damnit! I want to waste other people's time, not RDPeeps.

This trip was recon, a mission to see what is where and such. To me, personally, the market is too high to make a move. In a year or so, it may ratchet back, and be an option...but I needed to know what areas to look at.

500bbc

Reaction score

Friend of mines dad, big bucks up. Rolling the Porche dealership in his classic VW van (that's was clean enough to eat a five star meal out of the engine compartment) with his dog in the passenger seat. Jeans and a white T shirt.
Sales wouldn't give him the time of day. Went to the next closest dealer, bought his car then came back and did a donut or three in the first dealers lot.

samsah33

Reaction score
I waited tables for many years in a different life. I learned pretty quickly to not prejudge anyone. Ironically, it was usually the people that had the most gold and expensive watches and would leave their luxury car keys on the table for all to see were usually the worst tippers...

On the other side, I would always ask our receptionist about how candidates would treat them when they came into the office for a job interview (back in the old days when we had an office...). Someone that comes into the office and treats the receptionist like crap wouldn't be considered a viable candidate. Don't need people that kiss up and shit down.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Damnit! I want to waste other people's time, not RDPeeps.

This trip was recon, a mission to see what is where and such. To me, personally, the market is too high to make a move. In a year or so, it may ratchet back, and be an option...but I needed to know what areas to look at.

It’s not wasting there time at all. You go, have a good experience, share it here or somewhere else and boom.. more business.

I don’t care if ya want to go look at lots in yucca down that shitty dirt road.. they can take my dually if needed, or my RZR

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I tend to use the MLS and browse that. Once I get the current values I will do a drive buy. I am sure that Dave‘s staff can set you up with that info.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Btw - I heard a story from my buddy in Prescott that he knows a local ranch/farm family that own the first Ferrari built. Dirt road to the barn, but unreal car collection inside. He said from appearances from anyone in the family that you would never know, they all rode horses and don’t mind getting a little dusty, true wealth is humble.
That gentleman is no cowboy! He's from New York😂 He's owned that Ferrari since the mid-60s. Super nice man. He turned down an enormous offer for it a year or so back. He said he doesn't need the money, and he really likes owning the car. He says his kids can sell it when he's gone.
Never in a million years would you guess he has what he does. Nice man too!

fmo24

Reaction score
My first job was cleaning in a jewelry store. The owner had several stores in southern Ca. He rode a harley most days and my duties were cleaning it in the back room. One day he went to look at a new Cadillac. No one would talk to him so he bought elsewhere and drove thru the original lot and told them they missed a sale and he would steer all his acquaintances elsewhere.
Side note he also had a Bentley because he thought rolls were pretentious lol

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I never judge a book by the cover , I have some friends farmers / ranchers you never knew they had millions $ and acres of land very kool peeps 😎
Wealthiest man I've ever known directly is the most humble one you will ever know. Old Ron was a "junker" made millions doing it..bought land then made more millions reselling it as the areas grew. Had a lot of conversations with him sitting across the table on his patio with a glass of box wine. He's a lot of the reason why I learned to do certain kinds of business. I'm thankful to this day that my path crossed his by chance..he passed a lot of knowledge my way.

Real wealth tends to be very quiet from my experience..shy away from the spotlight, generous as they may be.

PRORACER7474

Reaction score
Years ago when we 1st made the jump to racing big cars a track operator stopped by to tell me what classes I could afford to race in and which classes I could not, I asked him how do you know how much money is in my checking accounts?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Real wealth tends to be very quiet from my experience..shy away from the spotlight, generous as they may be.
I was at Eliminator one day years ago laying tape on a mold in my little cave.
Pretty common for a customer or potential just kinda wander around and check out the shop, No sales guy around with this guy though.
This guy comes in, and watched me work for a minute or two and asked a few questions about the process, what color was it going to be, just boat talk.

A normal button down western style long sleeve shirt, well worn jeans and real, worn shit kicker boots. You know that man worked animals, in the mud and on the regular.
Bob walked in saying “Hey there you are”😂

Won’t say who he is but everyone knows his name on this site.
Huge, giant money but
Average American guy.

HBCraig

Reaction score

That's terrible. Absolutely terrible. Fucking people amaze me

just_floatin

Reaction score

I usually look like a landscaper when I go shopping or property hunting. Big sun hat and all. Normally I do not get bothered and shop without the pressure. I like it that way. I learned this technique when I worked in a car dealership as a mechanic.

The farmers would be wondering around the car lot and not be bothered by sales. I guess they looked like they had no money to most but this one salesman. Dick Bender was his name. No BS. He told me the farmers always pay cash and have the most beautiful wives. I learned that day I was destined to be the farmer shopper 🧙🏾‍♂️

HBCraig

Reaction score
Wealthiest man I've ever known directly is the most humble one you will ever know. Old Ron was a "junker" made millions doing it..bought land then made more millions reselling it as the areas grew. Had a lot of conversations with him sitting across the table on his patio with a glass of box wine. He's a lot of the reason why I learned to do certain kinds of business. I'm thankful to this day that my path crossed his by chance..he passed a lot of knowledge my way.

Many of the members here have met my Dad at havasu. He had a 21' Ultra with American flag graphics with a 350. You would never know he has millions. Crazy. I keep trying to tell him to splurge a bit but he won't.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

Was it the very furthest neighborhood out behind the mall? I can’t think of any other “model” type homes and neighborhoods. My wife and I walked through one, no one said a word to us. No questions answered. No greeting. No nothing. I really liked the house too. 🤷🏼‍♂️

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I was at Eliminator one day years ago laying tape on a mold in my little cave.
Pretty common for a customer or potential just kinda wander around and check out the shop, No sales guy around with this guy though.
This guy comes in, and watched me work for a minute or two and asked a few questions about the process, what color was it going to be, just boat talk.

A normal button down western style long sleeve shirt, well worn jeans and real, worn shit kicker boots. You know that man worked animals, in the mud and on the regular.
Bob walked in saying “Hey there you are”😂

Won’t say who he is but everyone knows his name on this site.
Huge, giant money but
Average American guy.
I was at a car show in Sacramento. It was Sunday, slow rolling, teardown day. Brizzio's booth was across from us for that show, but the sales guys said Roy was in Austin for the weekend. About noon, in walks Roy with a guy I would have thought was his landscaper. Little guy, maybe 60 at the time, overalls, boots and a cowboy hat. Caballero looking guy. Roy introduced us, nicest man you could imagine. Had read the man's name in all the magazines, but had no clue what he looked like.

They "stopped by" on their flight into San Jose from Austin...the caballero had a Leer jet :oops:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Was it the very furthest neighborhood out behind the mall? I can’t think of any other “model” type homes and neighborhoods. My wife and I walked through one, no one said a word to us. No questions answered. No greeting. No nothing. I really liked the house too. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I'm not saying...I don't want to bash people, just highlight sales skills, or lack there of.
Possibly on a Saturday it's just a guy that drew the short straw, and the rest of the organization is stellar.

(Maybe we both have to work on our appearance though 🤪)

CLdrinker

Reaction score
That gentleman is no cowboy! He's from New York😂 He's owned that Ferrari since the mid-60s. Super nice man. He turned down an enormous offer for it a year or so back. He said he doesn't need the money, and he really likes owning the car. He says his kids can sell it when he's gone.
Never in a million years would you guess he has what he does. Nice man too!
Are you he?

VooDooChildZ28

Reaction score
WTF?

You walked in off the street and somehow ended up with the owner of a Chevrolet dealership, in sounds like the very early stages of a purchase? Yeah sounds legit

oldschool

Reaction score
My wife and I checked out a little development, across from the marina, when we were out a couple weeks ago. Sales person wasn’t in yet, but a gal that worked for the developer was there and walked us through the model. She couldn’t have been more pleasant and informative. Houses were bad ass, place was over 5,000 sf with a BIG garage/RV garage. Seemed like a lot of money for no lake view and backed up to a frisbee park.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Very similar experience in my small neighborhood.
Our houses were built in 1996. I’m second owner of ours. Bought in 2004.
So a one size floor plan bigger than ours (1600 sf) is having an open house.
I walk in, meander around. Realtor was on her phone the whole time. Whatever.
Anyway the asking was 540,000.
Pending sign was up in a couple days.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You walked in off the street and somehow ended up with the owner of a Chevrolet dealership, in sounds like the very early stages of a purchase? Yeah sounds legit

Doesn’t sound weird to me.. I have inadvertently sat down with an owner before?

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
It’s not wasting there time at all. You go, have a good experience, share it here or somewhere else and boom.. more business.

I don’t care if ya want to go look at lots in yucca down that shitty dirt road.. they can take my dually if needed, or my RZR
But can they use your car trailer?

Universal Elements

Reaction score
One of my close relatives is in the lawn business. He crossed illegally from Mexico many moons ago. He worked his ass off, still does but in different ways. Started mowing lawns. All the uppity people in the family gave him a nickname ‘Cousin Wetback’ because he was here illegally & mowed lawns. Holidays were a shitshow because I would always get in their faces for being such arrogant and so called ‘educated/degreed’ fucks. Well one day cousin ‘Wetback’, moved to Beverly Hills since he built a huge company. Became legal and a citizen too. The dumbfucks in my family were shocked and my favorite primo just smiled. He would get the same treatment when he would buy equipment/trucks.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Flat bed is gone.. only have an enclosed right now.

Well I have a flat bed temporarily but I sold it to Tony from DCB for his sxs
BUT you still have a trailer someone can use , Inclosed or flat bed all in one 😎😎😎 😂😂 very nice trailer by the way. 👍

traquer

Reaction score
I've driven lots of cool cars at the dealer by simply calling the dealer ahead of time for that specific car, asking intelligent questions and scheduling it from there. If you stroll up and point at a car you get treated differently I would venture to guess.

Also it's funny but the richest guy I know bought his last car (big benz) in an underarmor track suit. My dad knows cars so he went to the dealer with him and helped him pick something out. Went with the regular S class and not the AMG, said he didn't need it. Guy was worth $100mm+ from a pharma company he started with his family

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Back in 1978, I wanted to buy a new 280Z.
Dealers were all adding a couple of grand to the sticker, and getting it. I stopped by an out of town dealer who I worked for in high school. Talked to the salesman for a couple of minutes and asked if the owner was in. Hadn’t seen him in 10 years, treated me like an old friend. Had the color I wanted, out the door for under sticker.
Asked how I was paying, said I was going through my credit union. He told the finance guy to give me the paperwork and just have my CU send him the check and handed me the keys.
My first new car purchase and definitely the best experience.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I've driven lots of cool cars at the dealer by simply calling the dealer ahead of time for that specific car, asking intelligent questions and scheduling it from there. If you stroll up and point at a car you get treated differently I would venture to guess.

Also it's funny but the richest guy I know bought his last car (big benz) in an underarmor track suit. My dad knows cars so he went to the dealer with him and helped him pick something out. Went with the regular S class and not the AMG, said he didn't need it. Guy was worth $100mm+ from a pharma company he started with his family

I used to know a guy with “jet money”. Drove a Mitsubishi Eclipse everyday.. never could understand that. Lol

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I wouldn’t take it personally. The market is so hot that they don’t have to put on a dog and pony show for anyone. The buyers come to them, and quick. It’s been like that for a while.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
In havasu, id say it had nothing to do with your clothes.
With little to no inventory, good houses/properties sell themselves. Same w car dealerships
No point in trying to sell you on it. Why “work for it” when they make sells everyday with zero effort.
Thats not a Havasu specific issue, it’s every city with any product in short supply.

ssc

Reaction score
I must have the same baller outfit as MW. Faded shorts, stains on my T shirt and flip flops. Got the same treatment shopping for vehicles, houses, and boats. When I bought my Havasu house, I decided I needed a nice deckboat. Came down to 4 manufacturers. I was treated good by 3 and like trash by the 4th. I won't mention who they were, but Nordic, Howard and Conquest were great. I bought a conquest topcat. Strange, but I always got ignored at BMW dealers and MB. Always got treated great at Lexus.

Cheers, Steve