WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can you go to Topock with River Level?

SkiDoc

Reaction score
We are going to be in Havasu for several days and we are going to rent a boat on Friday. I have made the trip up there a couple times when I was there for Desert Storm so I kind of know what I'm in for. I have heard levels are low now. Is this possible now? Thanks

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
The last two weeks the lake has been VERY high!! Last Thursday the little dock at Windsor South was underwater. We're going out tomorrow, I'll post when home.

Tank

Reaction score
It’s fine. Follow the snake pattern at the mouth. Stay to the Arizona side around the corner and up river from the old party sand bar.

We ran from havasu to needles. No problems.

34CF7FC9-73F2-4A68-88BD-924471A4556F.jpeg

Springfield

Reaction score
Besides Tank's advise and agree, just north of the sandbar in the wide area of the river stay center or Arizona side. There is a shallow water bouy on Cali side 25 feet from shoreline but the water is a little more than ankle deep another 50 feet toward the river center. You will incur this coming back south but hell mid week let her rip up the middle of the river both ways.

SkiDoc

Reaction score
Last time I had luck following people who looked like they knew where they were going. Its a rental, better buy the insurance!

Thanks for the information. See y'all this week.

Duffster

Reaction score
Normally from the AZ side hugging the island you can come in at just about any angle full trim hauling ass. Look down and see the ripples in the sand lol.

oldschool

Reaction score
What’s the depth on the north end of the reed island, just as your passing or coming to it?

FreeBird236

Reaction score
What’s the depth on the north end of the reed island, just as your passing or coming to it?
Hard to say, but it does get a little shallow there as well. I would guess and say around 3' if the lake is 447'.

oldschool

Reaction score
Hard to say, but it does get a little shallow there as well. I would guess and say around 3' if the lake is 447'.
Going through there I’m always looking over the side and see the bottom, hard to “trim it high and let it fly” in a Sanger V215. I figured it had to be 3-4’+, but looks like it 1’ deep.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
We were at jack smith yesterday afternoon, not only were both ramp docks on the ground, there was a sandbar sticking out of the water in front of the dock on the left. Pretty freaking low. Not my happy place.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Going through there I’m always looking over the side and see the bottom, hard to “trim it high and let it fly” in a Sanger V215. I figured it had to be 3-4’+, but looks like it 1’ deep.
Yes, I do the same always looks shallow to me also. I think this trim hi and fly is a little over rated, I'm usually trimmed somewhat hi, but at a speed just enough to stay on a flat plane. Polarized glasses help also.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
We were at jack smith yesterday afternoon, not only were both ramp docks on the ground, there was a sandbar sticking out of the water in front of the dock on the left. Pretty freaking low. Not my happy place.

At 3pm the flow was 6200 cfs.
And by 5 pm, at 6100 cfs, the absolute lowest of the day.
All of this is available online.

Dan'l

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
A lot of it has to do with how clear the water is. I was at anchor in the BVI years ago and saw a conch in what looked to be 10’ of water. Yummy yummy dinner, I dove down for it and it was probably almost 25’….. what’s worse, it it wasn’t even a conch, turns out it was a giant hermit crab LOLOL

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
At 3pm the flow was 6200 cfs.
And by 5 pm, at 6100 cfs, the absolute lowest of the day.
All of this is available online.

Dan'l
That was right about 3:30.

Online where? I don’t know that needles will be my place, river is a little shallow for my boat there Although I did see bigger boats on the water.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
That was right about 3:30.

Online where? I don’t know that needles will be my place, river is a little shallow for my boat there Although I did see bigger boats on the water.

I compare 'todays projected' (Davis and Parker dams) with yesterdays 'current conditions, past 4 days' (Needles Bridge gauge, for Needles) to get a "read" on the river.

80-90% of my boating is above (north of) the Needles Bridge (With a Ditch Pump).

Dan'l

traquer

Reaction score
Besides Tank's advise and agree, just north of the sandbar in the wide area of the river stay center or Arizona side. There is a shallow water bouy on Cali side 25 feet from shoreline but the water is a little more than ankle deep another 50 feet toward the river center. You will incur this coming back south but hell mid week let her rip up the middle of the river both ways.
You mean these areas in blue? It looks a lot different on the satellite, in person it's kind of obvious to me where to go and not go in this area

1633535947769.png

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
What site are you using ?

I can find info for yesterday Oct. 5th but nothing for today in regards to real time data...

The link in post 21, 'Current Conditions, Present Day'

Lake Havasu (10/06) between 0800 and 0900 lake level is at 448.66 msl.

Dan'l

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Need to send all the ditch pump boats to clear out the sand bar in the middle

Tank

Reaction score
I launched and retrieved the cig at Jack Smith last October when the docks were on the ground and it was sand at the end of the ramps! :oops: Sketchy, but didn't hit. We opted to run up from havasu this year on Friday and then run back down on Monday. The water up at needles area REALLY fluctuates this time of year. It's crazy. And even crazier is it's super high all night and drops way down middle of the day. WTF? Can't revers that shit!? 🤦‍♂️

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Sometimes as low as a couple feet. We went South from Windsor today and the water is way up.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
The water up at needles area REALLY fluctuates this time of year. It's crazy. And even crazier is it's super high all night and drops way down middle of the day. WTF? Can't revers that shit!? 🤦‍♂️

What I understand is power demand in the afternoons. More water releases. Takes all evening to get to Needles. (32 miles at 7 mph?)

Dan'l

DC-88

Reaction score
CDE88BD3-DFDC-4DF3-8576-2E2ACB12B5FD.jpeg
FD4002CF-A461-444C-B793-4B8F487C2289.jpeg
297F76BD-A565-4AC7-912E-81F2643A260A.jpeg
I don’t have any idea how drastic the exact effects will be going forward but I received this in the mail the other day out of the blue regarding the “reductions”.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
View attachment 1056489 View attachment 1056490 View attachment 1056491 I don’t have any idea how drastic the exact effects will be going forward but I received this in the mail the other day out of the blue regarding the “reductions”.
I'm guessing under tier 1, the flows may slow because the allotments have been lowered, but levels below Hover Dam shouldn't be affected a lot, especially Havasu were the pumps for Phoenix and Ca. are, California isn't affected by tier 1. Not sure how Mohave will be affected, but has not generally been considered a reservoir so should maintain normal levels. Powell and Mead will continue to be drawn down, in which order not sure, right now it's all been out of Powell and above. Of course all this goes out the window if conditions get worse. I believe Ca. becomes involved at tier 2. Pray for a banner snow season.

2Driver

Reaction score
Lake level is not in play once you're in current... ;)
Yep, the only time I spun a prop in 25 years was when Havasu was completely full and the river release ( unknowing to me) was super low.
It also takes time for the water from the Dam release to get down to the mouth of Havasu. Not sure how long but I’m betting an hour?

When in doubt follow the pontoon with the single Suzuki. 😁

sintax

Reaction score

Ya I had that happen once, paid to launch got backed down there only to find a mud pit. I wouldn’t have even launched a jet boat in that mess.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
It also takes time for the water from the Dam release to get down to the mouth of Havasu. Not sure how long but I’m betting an hour?
Well the current runs max around 3 MPH (more like 2), and the dam is 50 miles away... It takes almost a day.

traquer

Reaction score
Well the current runs max around 3 MPH (more like 2), and the dam is 50 miles away... It takes almost a day.
Seemed a hell of a lot faster to me when I did the Laughlin river float, but I wasn't sober lol

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Seemed a hell of a lot faster to me when I did the Laughlin river float, but I wasn't sober lol

I gps'd it while floating from Big Bend to Lazy Harry's, around pipeline/boy scout camp, was 7 mph. Just a squirt bötē. Easily 4+ units.

Dan'l

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I gps'd it while floating from Big Bend to Lazy Harry's, around pipeline/boy scout camp, was 7 mph. Just a squirt bötē. Easily 4+ units.

Dan'l
That's right up there by the dam, so I could believe that. I've checked it GPS often in Devils Elbow. I'd swear around 2.5 MPH. I'm sure it varies depending on flow, and the bottom's slope quite a bit.

Edit: Now I'm just gonna have to check it some more.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I will say that the blue circled area was not that obvious on Sunday :( Ill just leave it at that.
Every year they seem to get worse, don't think that most Northerly one was even there 7 or 8 years ago. Hope it's not too bad.

Springfield

Reaction score
You mean these areas in blue? It looks a lot different on the satellite, in person it's kind of obvious to me where to go and not go in this area

View attachment 1056382
Sorry I missed this but thank you sir you are spot on with the renderings..

But on the water you come up on them fast and then.........

Springfield

Reaction score
I will say that the blue circled area was not that obvious on Sunday :( Ill just leave it at that.
It appears to be a great place to beach, take a break with the water ankle deep? ;) Bet three or four boats would stop by to party also.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Water looked low to me today.. I had to run to bullhead for a meeting

RD