Do you carry on the water

Do you carry on inland waterways

• Yes I carry

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • No I do not carry

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • Decline to state

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Why did you exclude us ocean guys in this poll ?!?!?!?!

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Do you carry on the water? One rule of thumb is to carry always or never. Then again, on a boat it seems like I wouldn’t want a gun with me most of the time.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I
Do you carry on the water? One rule of thumb is to carry always or never. Then again, on a boat it seems like I wouldn’t want a gun with me most of the time.

I did, but I accidently dropped my gun overboard a few years ago.:(

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I

I did, but I accidently dropped my gun overboard a few years ago.:(
I’ve dropped a lot of rifles overboard. it was sad. Just one bump and whoop! They are gone forever :(

I’m thinking maybe I install as small handgun safe on the boat, depending on what state you are in, the law regarding being inside a business who serves alcohol, more than 1/2 their business is alcohol, you are drinking and a lot of other conditions, carrying even with a CCW/LTC is a big problem. I don’t drink and would hate to get free hot’s and a cot for an alcohol violation.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
I’ve dropped a lot of rifles overboard. it was sad. Just one bump and whoop! They are gone forever :(

I’m thinking maybe I install as small handgun safe on the boat, depending on what state you are in, the law regarding being inside a business who serves alcohol, more than 1/2 their business is alcohol, you are drinking and a lot of other conditions, carrying even with a CCW/LTC is a big problem. I don’t drink and would hate to get free hot’s and a cot for an alcohol violation.
Its not worth it to carry on the boat unless overnight camping somewhere remote. Too many potential issues.

FreeBird236

Reaction score

I just don't think I would want a weapon on a boat if I was to leave and enter an establishment.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Maybe you should simplify the question: "Do you carry, regardless where you are"

Different states will draw different reactions.
I don’t carry to see my urological oncologist but I do carry to the phlebotomist.

Backlash

Reaction score
No. Going to the river is about getting away from all of the BS and nonsense, and enjoying your time with friends and family. If you find yourselves in situations where a firearm is needed while boating, you might want to try a different waterway. 😁

Water Romper

Reaction score
Just thought I would add this to the mix- Since this is about carrying guns- Different states have different opinions
Look at the ad below- Typical Dodge truck ad- or is it, look at the very bottom...add's a new meaning to "Buyer Incentive"

1633615322161.png

Tank

Reaction score
I never carried as my philosophy on this was 99% of the time you're going to pull your weapon out at the wrong time and get into major trouble or you're going to pull your weapon out at the right time, but late and get dead.

My opinion on this recently has drastically changed as of late. I'd rather not let my family or me be a victim.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I never carried as my philosophy on this was 99% of the time you're going to pull your weapon out at the wrong time and get into major trouble or you're going to pull your weapon out at the right time, but late and get dead.

My opinion on this recently has drastically changed as of late. I'd rather not let my family or me be a victim.
My basic premise is to never pull my weapon unless the situation warrants putting my home, freedom and all my investments in jeopardy.

rebelmark75

Reaction score

Commie

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
From 2017, KTNV, Las Vegas

"More than 270 people have died in the past 10 years, which ranks Lake Mead as the deadliest national park in the United States."

That also includes Lake Mohave, often where I boat at.

2 murders and one bank robbery (they tried to swim the across the river), south of Davis Dam, just from memory.

An armed society is a polite society. You don't need it until you do.

Boat safely and responsibly.

Dan'l

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

You're obviously new here. One of the unwritten rules on RDP is that you can't post a poll unless one of the responses is...

RD SUX!

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
You're obviously new here. One of the unwritten rules on RDP is that you can't post a poll unless one of the responses is...

RD SUX!
Total newb, been called out on that a few times and IDGF

on calguns, one of the options must be “bacon”.

IMHO “bacon” is a better option than RD sux LOL

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I carry much of the time, but never on a boat. Not sure why, just that the thought never really crossed my mind. Never considered there would be a threat while boating, I guess.
My Kahr P380 broke. It’s bare minimum but it is very comfortable. I have been carrying a sig P229 in .40S&W 6 o’clock which is much less comfortable but more reliable than Any of my glocks.

The risk of scratching my boat or having to jump in the water seems higher than the threat level out on the water. But then again, I was taught to carry always.

Reactions: DWC

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
How do you carry on a boat wearing what people normally wear in the summer time out on the water?

If it isn't on you it does no good. Having to retrieve a gun in a public setting also could remove self defense from the equation.

If I feel the need to CC on "the lake" I'm going to find a new hobby.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
How do you carry on a boat wearing what people normally wear in the summer time out on the water?

If it isn't on you it does no good. Having to retrieve a gun in a public setting also could remove self defense from the equation.

If I feel the need to CC on "the lake" I'm going to find a new hobby.
That Kahr P380 in a hybrid clip on holster strong appendix works just fine in swim trunks if they have a decent drawstring. I’ve skateboarded from 40’th to the Newport pier and back on the boardwalk several time with it. It doesn’t move an inch. It’s like a pager that goes bang.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Looking for a little bigger boat to carry
E812C906-FF0F-4A8B-8E75-CC6B9494E22B.jpeg

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
In the Ocean 'YES' . . . I was recently listening to an interview with a 'Boat US' (towing service) Captain from the Port of San Diego . . . he said they are 'averaging' 5-6 panga-beachings each week, IE Human Trafficking / Drugs etc. . He alluded to why it doesn't make MSM (politics) . . . said a couple weeks ago they had 10 in one week alone. He described one instance where a panga was intercepted by CG and the driver threw everyone overboard so as to lighten the load and evade authorities . . . this was several miles offshore, so basically certain death to everyone w/o a significant CG rescue operation.
So yeah, if there's people out there running drugs & willing to toss a boat load of people overboard, I'll keep something onboard to protect myself.

As far as inland waterways, not so much . . . .but I will say that last spring I was in a lower river backwater, way way back in some shallow channel cut. . . came around a corner and there was some really sketchy people camping out of some hoopty-rig homeless style, I surprised them, and I wasn't expecting to see anyone back there, they had a gnarly dog that came unglued when it heard/ saw me , and then the owners came out looking all tweaker'd-out. . . . I spun around and left immediately, I was wishing I had some protection at that particular moment.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score

"Bacon" has to be an option on Pirate 4x4 also, at least in the old days.

77charger

Reaction score
Never felt need to carry on the boat unless like someone mentioned doing an overnight trip.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

RD invented bacon.

DWC

Reaction score

You’re not the only one.
A838E229-59DB-4B4A-ABEE-6F4530826B1B.jpeg

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I always do but it’s more for protection to/from the lake then actually on the lake itself. Launch ramp brawls and drunk assholes. And I’ve had to drive thru some sketchy neighborhoods in FL to get to a launch ramp.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
I grew up on the river from Mead to Mohave to Havasu to Parker and Blythe and at no time in 50 years of boating experiences did I ever feel the need to carry a firearm on a vessel. Offshore near the Mexico area Yes, because criminals know no bounds out on the open water.. There is nothing wrong with carrying a gun where it is legal to do so but If you feel like you need a gun on a boat to ensure your safety you may need to find a different lake , my.02

Last edited: