WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thank God for window coverage.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Broke 2 windshields on my vehicles. Nissan work van. I40 rock. $470
New Denali. Rock on bullhead parkway $657!!!
As a side note I was surprised to see when they were on the shelf they said Made in China. Long way for windshields. We can’t make then here????

fastenuff3

Reaction score
As a side note I was surprised to see when they were on the shelf they said Made in China. Long way for windshields. We can’t make then here????
thats why they were so cheap. the denali should need all the cameras adjusted

Riverbottom

Reaction score
PPG was purchased by China several years ago, not made in the USA. I don't know of any US manufactures unless Libby Owen is still made here. Got out of the auto glass business four years ago, so I am not current on the industry.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I have full glass coverage on the insurance for all of my vehicles. It's a must in Arizona where I go through a windshield about every other year. Pays for itself after the first cracked windshield.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
It’s mostly china junk but some brands are better than others. A new aftermarket player recently showed up in the states and they are made in Turkey. Haven’t had any issues yet.

Some Carlite (Ford) glass is still made in America. PGW (formerly PPG) sold out and it is all china junk now. We try not to use it anymore. Seems that it is only a matter of time before a mirror bracket falls off a PGW windshield.

7 or 8 years ago while trying to get the contract for GM OEM glass, Fuyao Glass opened a manufacturing facility in Ohio in an old gm plant. They currently produce OEM glass for GM, BMW, Land Rover and Jaguar….not necessarily out of the same plant.

Vehicles with certain features will get oem or we’ll pass on the job. Keeps the bottom feeders busy i guess.

grumpy88

Reaction score
So who do people go to for good glass ? Wife happened to have her window crack this week .

traquer

Reaction score
So who do people go to for good glass ? Wife happened to have her window crack this week .
X2. My 5 series got a chip that turned into a crack. I will require OEM glass that says BMW on it. I will probably have to fight State Farm on it..

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
X2. My 5 series got a chip that turned into a crack. I will require OEM glass that says BMW on it. I will probably have to fight State Farm on it..
My advice is to just pay for it out of pocket and send in the invoice for reimbursement directly to your agent. State farm uses a worthless company called Lynx to handle all their glass claims. Do not waste your time even calling it in because you will be transferred to them.

We refuse to deal with them, or any other 3rd party billing place that most of the insurance companies use.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I had two claims on my old (?) 2016 Tahoe. One, that happened when Jay was driving it out to me. He was almost crying when he showed it to me, but covered the replacement 100%, with Safelite (Havasu) doing the job. Had to wait a couple weeks for the OEM glass, but it was done the same day they received it. 8 months later I caught a rock on I-15 at Apex (north of Vegas). Progressive sprang for the OEM glass, as it was a "new" vehicle, but the rep told me the next one would get OEE. Had no other issues, so can't say whether they really meant it.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
And buy factory glass ?
Sure, any shop should be able to order the part from the dealer. I would say the use of oem glass is going to depend on what type of vehicle and if that vehicle has any advanced driving assistance features. If we’re talking about a vehicle with nothing but a mirror or a rain sensor bracket on the glass then the use of oem glass isn’t really a big deal.

There is nothing “wrong” with putting aftermarket glass in a vehicle. We do it all day. For instance, Our detailer broke the windshield in my wife’s audi with the wiper arm….oem is backordered. I put an aftermarket brand (fuyao) in it until the dealer part comes in. Now, i have the ability to do this easily because i own a shop but my point is that it is fine and everything still works properly.

For Most dealer parts be prepared to possibly wait for awhile.

rrrr

Reaction score
When my idiot son broke the back door glass in my Excursion, I had it replaced with aftermarket glass. When I got the truck back, I found the new glass didn't fit worth a shit.

Took it back to the shop, the guy removed the plastic surrounds and showed me how he couldn't align it because it was dimensionally different, and three of the holes around the perimeter of the glass were so far off he couldn't install the hold down bolts.

I paid the upcharge for Ford glass, and he replaced it at no charge, which was something I didn't expect and made me a customer of his for life.

traquer

Reaction score
My advice is to just pay for it out of pocket and send in the invoice for reimbursement directly to your agent. State farm uses a worthless company called Lynx to handle all their glass claims. Do not waste your time even calling it in because you will be transferred to them.

We refuse to deal with them, or any other 3rd party billing place that most of the insurance companies use.
Good to know, thank you. State Farm has been pretty good with using OEM body panels, haven't used them for glass yet. I will take pictures of the glass and vin number and pay for it myself then show them.

gqchris

Reaction score
State Farm was good to me when I needed a windshield for my Ferrari. They paid me a check direct once I got a quote from the Ferrari Dealer.

$6980 later, and new windshield was in!

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
There a documentary on Netflix called American Factory. A Chinese company Fuyao opened a factory in Ohio. Pretty cool doc, seeing the difference in work cultures.