WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Daytona 19' Jet performance potential?

Nikwho

Reaction score
Hey all,
Looking into an older Eliminator Daytona hull, with set back Berkeley pump with Place Diverter. Would be running a 700-750 HP 502/540. Pump to be built for the combination. What are reasonable expectations for a family (buckets + bench) river cruiser? I know that this is a vague question, and I am expecting vague, generalized answers. Would love to hear about results seen from generally similar setups.

I started parts collecting for my BBC build. Having machine work done now. Was going to swap engine into my old Tahiti Super Tiger, but it's a very squared away, reliable, turn key boat, albeit with an Olds. I'm thinking that starting a ground up build of a personal bucket list hull like a Daytona would be a better idea. Better off in the long run, plus would keep my Tahiti turn key in the mean time, and take my time with a proper build.

Thanks in advance!

Nik

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Set up right, that boat should run 107-110mph.

Nikwho

Reaction score
Damn. Okay, that's even quicker than I was guessing. I was thinking low 90's, but that was a totally arbitrary guess.. Good to hear that there's more potential there.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Had one very similar setup. 1981 daytona. 740hp. Chevy 502. It ran 105 on the track at NJBA. 10.04 ET quarter mile. Single seat. Full built pump from MPD.

Id guess with proper setup and perfect conditions 105 is doable. But normal use on the river with saddle tanks and full seating 90-100 is what id expect

Nikwho

Reaction score
I love it! Thank you guys! So, depending on answers that I received, I was curious if I could get into any level of competitive blue collar bracket racing with this hull. Like a river racer class, 10 second bracket race type class of drag racing! That's way down the line, and would require more engine to be in the 9's, to dial it back to 10 second bracket racing. Anyway, just thinking out loud here. I think that this is the direction that I want to go. I've been obsessed with the 19' and 21' Daytona's since I was a kid, racing on the river in both of my uncles' jet boats! Now, I just need to find the right hull!

Nikwho

Reaction score
Now that I've got the attention of some of the Daytona savvy guys here, what is specifically being discussed when "round vs. square keels" are being discussed? I hear about the round keel 'mod' being done. I even came across this picture, showing it. Can this be explained some? Is it necessary for speed? For stability? For safety, in event of engine failure?

Additionally, do these hulls tend to bow steer/send you swimming in the event of sudden engine failure, like I hear discussed with gullwings? At what point does a Jet-A-Way become a prudent safety measure?

Sorry. That's probably too many questions all at once!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I love it! Thank you guys! So, depending on answers that I received, I was curious if I could get into any level of competitive blue collar bracket racing with this hull. Like a river racer class, 10 second bracket race type class of drag racing! That's way down the line, and would require more engine to be in the 9's, to dial it back to 10 second bracket racing. Anyway, just thinking out loud here. I think that this is the direction that I want to go. I've been obsessed with the 19' and 21' Daytona's since I was a kid, racing on the river in both of my uncles' jet boats! Now, I just need to find the right hull!
Put it together and start playing with it. I built shallow tunnel (more like a runner bottom) jet a while back with a hair over 500hp. The first time I ran it I saw 70mph. After doing nothing but pump/nozzle/setup work, I saw high 90s out of it. GPS said 101 once...but I could make it read over 110 if it dropped it, so I dunno if that was accurate or not.

There is a lot to be gained in setup and tuning of the boat. 750hp is a lot of hp...figure out how to use it and the boat will go fast.

Edit: or patch the hole in the bottom and hang a 2.5L merc off the back with a jack plate and a 30P chopper and you'll see 100mph by playing with 2 buttons on the steering wheel. lol.

Last edited:

Nikwho

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447662025.319718.jpg

Here's the aforementioned photo (sorry if it is stolen from any of you fine folks!) I came across it in an older classified ad for a 19' Daytona. It was a white and red (BEAUTIFUL) boat in Havasu. I would credit the source, if I could find the ad again.

Boat 405

Reaction score
The flat keel design was for outboards. The rounded keel helps load the pump properly.

Jetaway is a requirement at NJBA over 100 mph.

Under loss of power most daytonas go straight.

Ive lost power at 130 plus and the boat went straight, but i did have a pop off valve.

Duramax

Reaction score
Hey all,
Looking into an older Eliminator Daytona hull, with set back Berkeley pump with Place Diverter. Would be running a 700-750 HP 502/540. Pump to be built for the combination. What are reasonable expectations for a family (buckets + bench) river cruiser? I know that this is a vague question, and I am expecting vague, generalized answers. Would love to hear about results seen from generally similar setups.

I started parts collecting for my BBC build. Having machine work done now. Was going to swap engine into my old Tahiti Super Tiger, but it's a very squared away, reliable, turn key boat, albeit with an Olds. I'm thinking that starting a ground up build of a personal bucket list hull like a Daytona would be a better idea. Better off in the long run, plus would keep my Tahiti turn key in the mean time, and take my time with a proper build.

Thanks in advance!

Nik
I have a new style 21 with twin outboards. Not too many were built with twins, but after some dialing in, I am amazed on how this hull handles chop, turns, all around. The biggest issue I was had was sitting deeper into the hull. I ended up notching the stringers to drop the seats roughly an inch, cut the seat foam in half (saved me another inch, and I will finally get my new smoked windshield this winter that is 1.5-2" higher than what it came with. I want to be more "inside the boat". The only other thing that got getting used to was the floor, as in, it doesn't have a flat one, lol.

The 19 looks like you literally sit on top of the darn thing, but some people are fine with it.

I assume it would be a cool river boat once you fill that hole and put a 2.5 on it....=) jk

Good luck!!!