WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Like boats, single guy or gal or don't like being around your partner, and like The Deadliest Catch? 7500-9k a Month.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I really had no idea what any of those guys make on a fishing boat in Alaska but it's not too bad for someone who wants to try that adventure. If you were a single young guy with no direction, it would be pretty cool I think.

Recently listed on Indeed.

Job details​

Salary
$7,500 - $9,000 a month
Job Type
Full-time
Contract
Number of hires for this role

Qualifications​

• US work authorization (Required)
    • High school or equivalent (Preferred)

Oiler/Wipers work aboard catcher processor vessels in the waters surrounding Alaska. They work under the Chief Engineer and Captain and are responsible for assisting with the safe and efficient maintenance and operation of all ship engineering systems. They provide support to engineering and factory staff and uphold all vessel, company and required safety regulations with regards to vessel and equipment.

Primary Responsibilities:

Perform daily, weekly and monthly rounds in factory and engineering as directed by Chief Engineer.

• Works exclusively with engineering department during offload and backload operations.
  • Grease factory equipment per assigned schedule from Chief utilizing appropriate lubricant for each type of equipment.
  • When greasing factory equipment, inspect for necessary repairs and maintenance, notifying Chief or Assistant Engineer of any deficiencies or concerns.
  • Monitor and record levels of various tanks, fuel, lube oil, ballast water, potable water, coolant tanks and bilge levels as directed.
  • Clean and operate fuel and lube oil centrifuges, demonstrate understanding of how and why they work.
  • Monitor and maintain all 12 and 24 DC battery systems throughout the vessel. Retain knowledge of each battery function and what results would be from malfunction or failure.
  • Transfer fuel from storage tanks to day tanks and from storage tank to storage tank, fill transfer or empty SW ballast tanks under direction of the Chief Engineer.
  • Grind, chip, clean, sand and paint all parts of the vessel as directed.
  • Assist in fuel and lube oil bunkering during offloads including preparation of fuel vent coffer dams, posting proper signage, and monitoring vents and transfer hoses.
  • Properly and safely fill potable water tanks as directed.
  • Effectively coordinates with all vessel department heads to ensure safe, efficient operation of the vessel both at sea and in port.
  • Ability to quickly and effectively recognize situations expanding outside realm of responsibility and communicate up chain of command.
  • Ensures engineering spaces, spare parts and tools are maintained in an organized and clean fashion in compliance with environmental regulations.
  • Ensures compliance with applicable sections of the Safety Management System. Is knowledgeable and conversant on applicable policies and procedures contained in the SMS.
  • Thorough understanding and implementation of Vessel Lock out/Tags plus procedures.
Work Hours:

• Regularly scheduled for 12 hour shifts.
  • May be required to work additional hours due to occasional urgent vessel needs.
  • Shipyard duties to be fulfilled as required or assigned.
Glacier Fish Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.

Job Types: Full-time, Contract

Pay: $7,500.00 - $9,000.00 per month

Benefits:

• 401(k)
  • 401(k) matching
  • Dental insurance
  • Employee assistance program
  • Health insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Professional development assistance
  • Referral program
  • Vision insurance
Schedule:

• 12 hour shift
Education:

Experience:

• Oiler/Wiper: 2 years (Preferred)
Contract Renewal:

• Likely
Work Location:

• On the road
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:

• Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
  • Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
  • Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
  • Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
  • Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
  • High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
Company's website:

Company's Facebook page:

Benefit Conditions:

• Waiting period may apply
  • Only full-time employees eligible
Work Remotely:

• No
COVID-19 Precaution(s):

• Remote interview process
  • Personal protective equipment provided or required
  • Temperature screenings
  • Social distancing guidelines in place
  • Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
Work Location: On the road

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Bust your ass, but make a good chunk during the season. I didn't know jobs like that existed when I was a pup...may have made some changes.

Taboma

Reaction score
I really had no idea what any of those guys make on a fishing boat in Alaska but it's not too bad for someone who wants to try that adventure. If you were a single young guy with no direction, it would be pretty cool I think.

Recently listed on Indeed.

Job details​

Salary
$7,500 - $9,000 a month
Job Type
Full-time
Contract
Number of hires for this role

Qualifications​

• US work authorization (Required)

Oiler/Wipers work aboard catcher processor vessels in the waters surrounding Alaska. They work under the Chief Engineer and Captain and are responsible for assisting with the safe and efficient maintenance and operation of all ship engineering systems. They provide support to engineering and factory staff and uphold all vessel, company and required safety regulations with regards to vessel and equipment.

Primary Responsibilities:

Perform daily, weekly and monthly rounds in factory and engineering as directed by Chief Engineer.

• Works exclusively with engineering department during offload and backload operations.
  • Grease factory equipment per assigned schedule from Chief utilizing appropriate lubricant for each type of equipment.
  • When greasing factory equipment, inspect for necessary repairs and maintenance, notifying Chief or Assistant Engineer of any deficiencies or concerns.
  • Monitor and record levels of various tanks, fuel, lube oil, ballast water, potable water, coolant tanks and bilge levels as directed.
  • Clean and operate fuel and lube oil centrifuges, demonstrate understanding of how and why they work.
  • Monitor and maintain all 12 and 24 DC battery systems throughout the vessel. Retain knowledge of each battery function and what results would be from malfunction or failure.
  • Transfer fuel from storage tanks to day tanks and from storage tank to storage tank, fill transfer or empty SW ballast tanks under direction of the Chief Engineer.
  • Grind, chip, clean, sand and paint all parts of the vessel as directed.
  • Assist in fuel and lube oil bunkering during offloads including preparation of fuel vent coffer dams, posting proper signage, and monitoring vents and transfer hoses.
  • Properly and safely fill potable water tanks as directed.
  • Effectively coordinates with all vessel department heads to ensure safe, efficient operation of the vessel both at sea and in port.
  • Ability to quickly and effectively recognize situations expanding outside realm of responsibility and communicate up chain of command.
  • Ensures engineering spaces, spare parts and tools are maintained in an organized and clean fashion in compliance with environmental regulations.
  • Ensures compliance with applicable sections of the Safety Management System. Is knowledgeable and conversant on applicable policies and procedures contained in the SMS.
  • Thorough understanding and implementation of Vessel Lock out/Tags plus procedures.
Work Hours:

• Regularly scheduled for 12 hour shifts.
  • May be required to work additional hours due to occasional urgent vessel needs.
  • Shipyard duties to be fulfilled as required or assigned.
Glacier Fish Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.

Job Types: Full-time, Contract

Pay: $7,500.00 - $9,000.00 per month

Benefits:

• 401(k)
  • 401(k) matching
  • Dental insurance
  • Employee assistance program
  • Health insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Professional development assistance
  • Referral program
  • Vision insurance
Schedule:

• 12 hour shift
Education:

Experience:

• Oiler/Wiper: 2 years (Preferred)
Contract Renewal:

• Likely
Work Location:

• On the road
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:

• Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
  • Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
  • Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
  • Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
  • Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
  • High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
Company's website:

Company's Facebook page:

Benefit Conditions:

• Waiting period may apply
  • Only full-time employees eligible
Work Remotely:

• No
COVID-19 Precaution(s):

• Remote interview process
  • Personal protective equipment provided or required
  • Temperature screenings
  • Social distancing guidelines in place
  • Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
Work Location: On the road

Where's the disclaimer about the potential of freezing to death, being soaking wet in zero degree temps, having a wire rope cut you in half and a professional half-life expectancy of maybe 6 years.

Poncho, come on and tell the folks how life is on the Bering Sea. 🥶

4Waters

Reaction score
Where's the disclaimer about the potential of freezing to death, being soaking wet in zero degree temps, having a wire rope cut you in half and a professional half-life expectancy of maybe 6 years.

I can answer that. It's miserable, that's why they pay so well. LOL

77charger

Reaction score
Knew a guy years ago who worked on fishing boats was gone for a long time during season but made damn good money in the 90s and had good amount of time off too.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Just to put it in perspective……

There is currently an ad on my Boat Captain forums looking for a couple to Captain, Cook, and Clean a 56’, 4 cabin Catamaran in the BVI for $9000 to $11,000 per month. They will run charters for the owner. It’s not exactly easy, but it is definitely better than freezing your ass off. Buuurrrr

Even being a mate on a commercial coastal tug boat pays $650 per day. 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off, rotation.

There are a whole host of maritime jobs that pay very well.

Those that do the Bering Sea are a true breed of seafarers. That is a dangerous job!

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Like gold rush and deadliest catch they work like 6 months and done. Some still work summers too. That would be nice. Have 6 months off

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I did 2 contracts on a dragger (catcher processor) for FCA years ago as a younger man.
I can assure you that the job description is shakey at best!
You will be on the slime line 24/7 and only get rest between nets...sometimes...if that ever happens. I heard rumor about actual shifts on some boats, but never saw that myself.
I jumped ship in Old Harbor (Kodiak island) while unloading an injured worker to a Boston Whaler skiff sent out from the harbor.

I think our salary then was $1500 a month plus 0.005 (half a percent) crew share the first 4 month contract, then 1% the second contract and so on. It worked out to about $5K a month the first contract as I recall? I might be off a little.
The ship I was on (FV Alaska Ranger) ended up sinking in 2008 like 10 years after I left. The fish master (takahashi) went down with the ship in true Japanese fashion.
“Tak” was a nightmare. The captains are all US registered but the fishmasters are all Japanese as that is where the product primarily goes to.
Ours never touched US soil. We’d steam into Dutch and “transfer cargo” to a Japanese tramper anchored in the outer harbor.
Then go to dock and onload supplies and fuel.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

On a dragger the average worker almost never sees the outside, only during a meal or standby.
You are 2-3 decks down on the slime line. You lose all track of day and nights and sometimes time altogether. We’d stick our heads up on occasion to see if it was light or dark outside.
If you last a few contracts and move up you might get the chance to be a deckhand. They are a group of 5 or so workers with seniority and go on deck to haul and prep the dragger net.
They still work below, but are called to the deck during nets.
I volunteered for freezer crew so I’d get to go in the empty fuel tanks (flushed with sea water and cooled with nitrogen or whatever) and stack the flash frozen fish cases. It was a good break from the line even though it was 20 below in the freezers.

Taboma

Reaction score
Just to put it in perspective……

There is currently an ad on my Boat Captain forums looking for a couple to Captain, Cook, and Clean a 56’, 4 cabin Catamaran in the BVI for $9000 to $11,000 per month. They will run charters for the owner. It’s not exactly easy, but it is definitely better than freezing your ass off. Buuurrrr

Even being a mate on a commercial coastal tug boat pays $650 per day. 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off, rotation.

There are a whole host of maritime jobs that pay very well.

Those that do the Bering Sea are a true breed of seafarers. That is a dangerous job!
Knowing you're well versed in this type of endeavor.
Are the boat's owners generally receptive to providing adequate funding as required to maintain a safe and fully functioning vessel, since it is you who are ultimately responsible ?
I can't imagine all paying customer's onboard attitudes and behaviors are easily managed. How in your capacity as the vessel's captain, do you maintain a safe environment once the alcohol starts flowing ?? This type of job must require the patience of a saint and a very special talent for managing drunken assholes.
I couldn't do it, I'd have the bastards walking the plank 🤣

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Are the boat's owners generally receptive to providing adequate funding as required to maintain a safe and fully functioning vessel, since it is you who are ultimately responsible ?
I can't imagine all paying customer's onboard attitudes and behaviors are easily managed. How in your capacity as the vessel's captain, do you maintain a safe environment once the alcohol starts flowing ?? This type of job must require the patience of a saint and a very special talent for managing drunken assholes.
Captain Lee tosses them off and ends their $250K charter...no refund.

794EF222-AE6A-4C24-902A-0D080CA9D577.gif

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Dealing with drunks is part of the job.……

I can deal with it on day charters, but doings weeks at a time with drunks wears on you.

The worst however is when you are a private captain and the yacht owner is completely tanked and now wants to take over HIS yacht in a heavy traffic situation. This is when I truly scream “FUCK ME” under my breath because I know he is most likely going to get the yacht in a bad situation, then hand it back over to me.

But then again….. I really get paid to dock and undock the boat. Most private yacht owners like to take over once you have gotten the boat into a non stress situation. Then I just become a baby sitter. These have been some great times too, with fun owners and families.Too bad they are not all like this.

nowski

Reaction score
I think I'll just stay home and take my chances with covid, the odds are better than Deadliest Catch...

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I worked a couple seasons commercial fishing sockeye salmon out of Bristol Bay . . . childs play compared to crabbing. Still SUCKED, you're wearing so much rain gear & shit, you sweat your ass-off when your hauling gear . . . then once it's over you freeze your ass off cause you're wet. Aluminum/ Steel hulls radiate that cold water through the hull . . . it's fucked.

I had friends who crabbed . . . many are pill-poppers / tweakers etc. and blow all their money in the off season , so they sort of have to go back . . the solid ones are usually from Norwegian decent . . . those dude's aren't phased by shit.

My Sister was a nurse up there . . . she had patients come in cut to ribbons, literally dozens of knife wounds all over their body . . . she said they were working on a 'Slime-Line' cutting fish with there hands chained to the table so wouldn't accidentally move their hands across a laser beam that controlled the power-knife that cuts off the heads of the fish. She said they got in an argument over the music on the radio (rap vs country) . . . on their break, they put a knife in each hand and pinch-off the blade so there is only an inch of the blade exposed . . . then they go at each other till one dude calls it quits.
She said, "We spent hours stitching-up those two idiots, cuts all over the face, head, hands, arms, everywhere . . . . so yeah, that's the class of people you'll be working with.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I worked a couple seasons commercial fishing sockeye salmon out of Bristol Bay . . . childs play compared to crabbing. Still SUCKED, you're wearing so much rain gear & shit, you sweat your ass-off when your hauling gear . . . then once it's over you freeze your ass off cause you're wet. Aluminum/ Steel hulls radiate that cold water through the hull . . . it's fucked.

I had friends who crabbed . . . many are pill-poppers / tweakers etc. and blow all their money in the off season , so they sort of have to go back . . the solid ones are usually from Norwegian decent . . . those dude's aren't phased by shit.

My Sister was a nurse up there . . . she had patients come in cut to ribbons, literally dozens of knife wounds all over their body . . . she said they were working on a 'Slime-Line' cutting fish with there hands chained to the table so wouldn't accidentally move their hands across a laser beam that controlled the power-knife that cuts off the heads of the fish. She said they got in an argument over the music on the radio (rap vs country) . . . on their break, they put a knife in each hand and pinch-off the blade so there is only an inch of the blade exposed . . . then they go at each other till one dude calls it quits.
She said, "We spent hours stitching-up those two idiots, cuts all over the face, head, hands, arms, everywhere . . . . so yeah, that's the class of people you'll be working with.
Sounds about right.
The veteran deck crew guys on my boat would never sleep. They’d get 4 hours of break time maybe every 48 hours and would bury their face in the biggest bag of coke you’ve ever saw and then play paint ball wars all over the ship until called for standby again.
It was insanity in all ways.
I ran the header on the slime line for a long time. It wasn’t a laser but was a band saw with a wire verses a steel blade. I had to do at least one fish per second to keep that spot. I had a guy feeding the fish to me head first and was like “bam bam bam” one after another.
In the gulf where almost all dragging occurs the primary fish is pop (Pacific Ocean perch) as I recall. They are smaller red fish and a net full is a 12 plus hour processing nightmare. A better net would be all red snapper and cod as they are much bigger so a little less fish. 2 snapper nets in a row meant a good 4-6 hours of sleep if you could knock them out fast, like under 18 hours.
Running the header with big snapper was tricky. They would usual be alive so I’d stick my hand down their mouth and grab the gill from the inside. Then saw the head off. The trick was to not saw your hand off after being up 36 hours or more. It was funny because they’d clamp down on your arm as you killed them, and I’d have to shake the heads off my arm.

Last edited:

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Sounds about right.
The veteran deck crew guys on my boat would never sleep. They’d get 4 hours of break time maybe every 48 hours and would bury their face in the biggest bag of coke you’ve ever saw and then play paint ball wars all over the ship until called for standby again.
It was insanity in all ways.
I ran the header on the slime line for a long time. It wasn’t a laser but was a band saw with a wire verses a steel blade. I had to do at least one fish per second to keep that spot. I had a guy feeding the fish to me head first and was like “bam bam bam” one after another.
In the gulf where almost all dragging occurs the primary fish is pop (Pacific Ocean perch) as I recall. They are smaller red fish and a net full is a 12 plus hour processing nightmare. A better net would be all red snapper and cod as they are much bigger so a little less fish. 2 snapper nets in a row meant a good 4-6 hours of sleep if you could knock them out fast, like under 18 hours.
Running the header with big snapper was tricky. They would usual be alive so I’d stick my hand down their mouth and grab the gill from the inside. Then saw the head off. The trick was to not saw your hand off after being up 36 hours or more. It was funny because they’d clamp down on your arm as you killed them, and I’d have to shake the heads off my arm.
That's gnarly . . . I heard the work load and hours were nothing short of brutal in the processors. Crazy.

I cut my finger really bad down there (severed a tendon) and needed surgery . . . so they put me on a little Piper-Cub in Pilot Point and flew me to a place called 'King Salmon' . . . I had to spend the night there in a Hostile , which was just an army tent with cots and some old wool blankets. I remember walking on a plywood path to get there and it had 4 inches of water under it . . . across the field there were a couple dozen shipping containers stacked 3-High and people were living in them. It was spooky seeing people climbing ladders to get up into their 'rooms' for the night, then closing those big doors with a rope. Sketch-Central.

The next day they flew me to Anchorage, then to Kenai and then the hospital for a 6-hour surgery to fix the tendon that had retracted. It was funny as I was telling one of the nurses the story about the containers, she said, 'You saw the 'Container People' ?!?!?!?! . . . . let me get my friends" . . . and she went and got a couple other gals and I told them the story . . . they had only heard 'Rumors' . . . LOL . . . . that place is a trip.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
That's gnarly . . . I heard the work load and hours were nothing short of brutal in the processors. Crazy.

I cut my finger really bad down there (severed a tendon) and needed surgery . . . so they put me on a little Piper-Cub in Pilot Point and flew me to a place called 'King Salmon' . . . I had to spend the night there in a Hostile , which was just an army tent with cots and some old wool blankets. I remember walking on a plywood path to get there and it had 4 inches of water under it . . . across the field there were a couple dozen shipping containers stacked 3-High and people were living in them. It was spooky seeing people climbing ladders to get up into their 'rooms' for the night, then closing those big doors with a rope. Sketch-Central.

The next day they flew me to Anchorage, then to Kenai and then the hospital for a 6-hour surgery to fix the tendon that had retracted. It was funny as I was telling one of the nurses the story about the containers, she said, 'You saw the 'Container People' ?!?!?!?! . . . . let me get my friends" . . . and she went and got a couple other gals and I told them the story . . . they had only heard 'Rumors' . . . LOL . . . . that place is a trip.
My experiences were on a boat, a catcher processor. So insanity at sea!
But I’ve spent a lot of time at King Salmon as well doing enviro drilling for the DoD.
I’ve seen the container people...I may or may not have smoked weed in said containers!
We’d go to Naknek to the bar and drink till daylight and then go to work every day.
Caught massive trout in the river and lake.
As I recall at the time the minimum length keeper was 24”?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Noticed no mention of a pre employment drug/alcohol test and random drug/alcohol screening when working. This indicates these are not USCG inspected vessels where most positions require USCG licenses. That's the maritime industry in which I worked for 40 years. It's a different world from these advertised positions. These are fishers and processors likely working in the Bering Sea. Once proclaimed the most dangerous jobs in the world. And I see no reason for that to have changed.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Just curious, any other inmates receive random drug screening? I know commercial pilots and their crews do. Others are “subject” to it, in the event of an incident.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Just curious, any other inmates receive random drug screening? I know commercial pilots and their crews do. Others are “subject” to it, in the event of an incident.
Constant.
Hair, piss, even breathalyzers.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
DOT requirement?
Last employer was full DOT.
Most drilling contractors have full screening at hire and test at least a few random hands per crew per hitch.
As 3rd party consultants we are subject to our own randoms, plus the clients randoms, plus the drilling rig contractors randoms.
They usually don’t pull too many on us, but they certainly can whenever they want.

SixD9R

Reaction score
I’m subjected to random testing. I sit in an office and design machinery. But, my company owns and operates trucks all over the country. I haven’t been tested in a few years but I never know when that call will come in to report.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Wow, some interesting stuff; thanks for sharing guys. Definitely doesn't sound like a job for a many.