WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

River /Lake Snacks/ Drinks Traditions, What Are Yours ?

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
From as far back as I can remember, my parents used to always bring a stick of that 'Gallo Dry Salami' with the rind, and have it with cheese and crackers.
It's a ritual for me now too.
Last week at Mojave my Dad revealed the deal . . . he said when he was in Korea they divided up his platoon and broke it into squads for some unknown reason.
,He said, "Me and this guy were out there alone for 2 days and we hadn't had a bite to eat, and here comes the mail truck, I got nothing, but the guy I was with got a package from home that had a stick of dry salami, he shared it with me and it was the best thing I could imagine at the time" . . . . so that explains it !

Side-Story - My parents also used to bring jug(s) of Gallo Burgundy wine (the big glass ones with the loop handle) and my Dad would slide it down the anchor line to the bottom of the lake to keep it cool ! 😆 . . . then for 'Cocktail Hour' he'd pull up the jug and they would mix it with 'Fresca' and make wine-coolers. I remember them using the 'empties' afterwards as anchor-line buoys. LOL.

Curious what some other old traditions are out there. 🇺🇸

4Waters

Reaction score
A couple of traditions over the years.

When I was a kid we would stop at Uncle Mike's Pizza after the Winter Nationals and Finals, I continued that until the family closed Uncle Mike's after Mike passed away. That started when I was 10.

When my buddies and I would go race at LACR we would stop at Dennys on our way home every time for dinner off Sand Cyn, never missed it.

We always end our day on the water with gummy worms on the drive home.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Second the Gallo salami stick. We'd cut big chunks, peel the rind and eat it with chunks of cheese. And if we had grapes we'd eat those. It was a traditional boating day lunch/snack because it was easy and good. I dont remember any crackers but we'd do triscuits on occasion. This sort of "peasant lunch" was something my parents experienced in Europe when they were out there on a budget, I guess they brought it back as something that could be done simply.

As for drinks, my parents were big on Hansen's sodas for the kids. We always had those. The Mandarin Lime remains my favorite, though we also had their root beer and their cola, too. Hansens is sometimes available in limited selection in a few markets. If I see it I grab some just for the nostalgia.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
As a kid when we went riding our bikes had military canteens lashed to the forks. Forget to fill yours and you’re screwed. Responsibility. Then cans of Vienna sausage, smoked oysters, kipper snacks and other small cans that fit in your pockets. Sophisticated pallets for little kids. Dad would say let’s go and we’d ride for 4-6 hours.
Took me many years to feel what he felt out riding with his sons.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we used to boat camp on Havasu and Mohave. The first night, we always had what my mom called premade "grinders." They were always ham, and as an adult, I realized they were not really grinders. My mom is not a huge connoisseur of what I would call flavor. But as I kid, I really loved them. As an adult, with my own kids, we made what my kids and Jeff refer to as "river sandwiches." That is the small Franciscos french rolls, a slice of Danola ham folded up, mustard, mayo, and cheddar cheese. Super easy to make. No lettuce, no tomato. Meat and cheese. Eat it, kid. LOL Pretty much the same as the "grinders" as a kid, but made on the spot, a little fresher, and no pretending they were anything more than they were. My kids, now adults, still talk about the river sandwiches. They were also a staple when we were Jeeping, but were never labeled as Jeeping sandwiches. They were always "river sandwiches."

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Our River Sandwiches are fresh bolio rolls from Von’s, slice them almost through length-wise, spread some Mayo and throw 2-3 pieces of sliced deli turkey, close them up and put them in individual ziplock bags. Now take a jar of chopped pepperoni peppers and drain the juice out and put those in another ziplock bag. Take a jar of Claussen sandwich sliced pickles and chop those up and put in another ziplock bag. Now chop up about 5-6 Roma tomatoes and put those in another ziplock. When it’s time to eat grab a Sammie, grab a spoonful or two of the fixins. This way your sandwich doesn’t get soggy.

Also, those Hostess donuts are not the same since the company started up again. Just hit up a donut shop and grab a couple dozen donut holes - those go down too easy.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Devil food cookies.

Pillsbury cinnamon rolls.

Anyone remember the Oscar Meyer variety pack? Dad never gave us a choice and made sandwiches from front to back. I never did like bologna, but always looked forward to the pimento loaf or ham.

Last edited:

Rondog4405

Reaction score
From as far back as I can remember, my parents used to always bring a stick of that 'Gallo Dry Salami' with the rind, and have it with cheese and crackers.
Last week at Mojave my Dad revealed the deal . . . he said when he was in Korea they divided up his platoon and broke it into squads for some unknown reason.
,He said, "Me and this guy were out there alone for 2 days and we hadn't had a bite to eat, and here comes the mail truck, I got nothing, but the guy I was with got a package from home that had a stick of dry salami, he shared it with me and it was the best thing I could imagine at the time" . . . . so that explains it !

Side-Story - My parents also used to bring jug(s) of Gallo Burgundy wine (the big glass ones with the loop handle) and my Dad would slide it down the anchor line to the bottom of the lake to keep it cool ! 😆 . . . then for 'Cocktail Hour' he'd pull up the jug and they would mix it with 'Fresca' and make wine-coolers. I remember them using the 'empties' afterwards as anchor-line buoys. LOL.

Us too! For as long as I can remember my dad would always have the Gallo with the rind on our river trips.. bringing back some great memories right now!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Whenever anyone is kind enough to invite us on their boat I be sure to bring along the Red Gatorade, Nacho Cheese Doritos and Cheetos. :looking:

HBCraig

Reaction score

You sure we never camped together. The Gallo wine and the Fresca for homemade wine coolers.
My brother and made them at home one day when we were kid. I was like 12 at the time. It annihilated me.

Mom and Dad made those and Salty Dogs too

67Charger

Reaction score
Wheat Thins and a tub of cream cheese
Abba-Zabba taffy
sliced Hickory Farms summer sausage, cheddar, and sliced apples on ritz Crackers
big bag of David's sunflower seeds

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Heading out to the river Thursday or Friday night, it was always stop at the desert center snack bar for hotdogs and jalapeños poppers. Saturday morning: a couple of the boys always got up early to gas up and launch the toys on havasu and go and find a beach and leave the waverunner/jetskis there (this was always accompanied with a hostess apple pie and a slim jim from Mc's Market). Then we would do about an hour of watersports behind the boat and head back to the ramp where all the late sleepers were finally ready to be picked up. Saturday night was always Paradise Cafe. Sunday, we would launch on the strip and go down to Roadrunner for breakfast. After breakfast it was head back up river and pull the boat out. Boys cleaned and put away the toys and ladies cleaned up the house. And we were pulled out of there by 3. If it was a 3 day weekend we would always spend the entire extra day on the strip at the Moonridge cabanas and there would always be a giant bowl of homemade salsa and several bags of chips. Lots of memories of sandwiches being made on top of the igloo cooler with no plates too.

Last edited:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Before essentially eliminating carbs salami, kings rolls and mustard and assortment of tortilla & tater chops were regulars on our boat.
Nowadays cold fried chicken is the easy choice. Veggies and dip still apply. Maybe some fruit chunks but those have a lot of sugar.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Back in my early 20’s, hit Costco and load up a flat cart with cases of Coors Light and a few bags of chips. Lol

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Before essentially eliminating carbs salami, kings rolls and mustard and assortment of tortilla & tater chops were regulars on our boat.
Nowadays cold fried chicken is the easy choice. Veggies and dip still apply. Maybe some fruit chunks but those have a lot of sugar.

What the heck is a tater chop? :D

85RiverRAT

Working my way up!
Reaction score
Tootsie Roll Tootsie pops from Sand Point Marina, every morning when getting the ice for the day. I think it was to keep us quite until the boat was out of the slip and underway.

Ritz Cracker Buffet lunch on the bow of the boat. Cubed deli meat, and cheeses.

Tent camping in Echo Bay, pretty epic hibachi bbq cook outs, especially nice when the wind was up, and you had a soupcon of sand all over your meal.

Real standing tradition was dinner at Sho-Gun, Mission Viejo, after getting home from the river. We did that consistently for decades until they finally shuttered.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Assorted venison and beef sticks. Cauliflower and dill dip. Beer.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Tootsie Roll Tootsie pops from Sand Point Marina, every morning when getting the ice for the day. I think it was to keep us quite until the boat was out of the slip and underway.

Ritz Cracker Buffet lunch on the bow of the boat. Cubed deli meat, and cheeses.

Tent camping in Echo Bay, pretty epic hibachi bbq cook outs, especially nice when the wind was up, and you had a soupcon of sand all over your meal.

Real standing tradition was dinner at Sho-Gun, Mission Viejo, after getting home from the river. We did that consistently for decades until they finally shuttered.
i was bummed when Sho Gun closed up. i loved the seared ahi there. Riptide has it as well but its not as good.

MOUZER

Reaction score
bucket of KC fried chicken and water and dr pepper and bag of taco flavor dorritos and where on the water

Reactions: DWC

samsah33

Reaction score
For a long time when the kids were younger, it was hot dogs cut in half and rolled and baked in a croissant. Easy to make finger food with minimal mess, all the kids loved them, even the pickiest ones...