WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Help smoke a Turkey

guest hs

Reaction score
So Rebel BBQ was supposed to smoke our Turkey for Thanksgiving. We get here tonight to drop it off and now they cant do it. Anyone know who or where else could do it for us?

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
The smoked turkey at Costco is really really good.

500bbc

Reaction score
So Rebel BBQ was supposed to smoke our Turkey for Thanksgiving. We get here tonight to drop it off and now they cant do it. Anyone know who or where else could do it for us?
Find an Orion Cooker for sale locally.
Smoke it yourself, easiest Turkey ever.

Or bring it to Echo Lodge early, we'll smoke it...you'll be too loaded to leave when it's done though.😆

Cdog

Reaction score
Get on FB marketplace and find a used xl big green egg. Target $800 . Easy to learn & best food you’ll ever eat.

I’m doing a 20 lb spatchcock turkey this year over mesquite

Xring01

Reaction score
I will smoke it for ya,
But you have to drop it off and pick it up in Murrieta …. Lol

guest hs

Reaction score
Find an Orion Cooker for sale locally.
Smoke it yourself, easiest Turkey ever.

Or bring it to Echo Lodge early, we'll smoke it...you'll be too loaded to leave when it's done though.😆
Now that sounds fun!

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Go buy a smoker. Cover the turkey in melted butter and Italian seasoning or a Cajun rub. Start with a low temp (180) for the first hour and then crank up to 215 - 230. The inner thigh should be between 175 - 185. Time to cook can range from 5 - 8 hours.

Bird may start to darken on the top. When that happens, cover the top with foil.

77charger

Reaction score
Head to lowes or depot buy a brinkman or similar and a 20 pound bag of charcoal.Not too hard to do and alot cheaper to do vs a rabbit turd grill. Also helps to drill a few 1/2 inch holes on the charcoal tray lets the ash drop through.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Not gonna be in town till Thursday night or I woulda pit barreled it for you. I would do what 77 said above if you stay on top of the temps you should be good.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I bought this the other day. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss...ith-Flame-Broiler-and-Cooking-Probe/793230399

The one I have/had was too small. My parents were suppose to come for Thanksgiving, but mom got sick and can't come(not covid).

Thought about smoking it. Does this get dry?

"
Go buy a smoker. Cover the turkey in melted butter and Italian seasoning or a Cajun rub. Start with a low temp (180) for the first hour and then crank up to 215 - 230. The inner thigh should be between 175 - 185. Time to cook can range from 5 - 8 hours.

Bird may start to darken on the top. When that happens, cover the top with foil."

Someone else told me to smoke it for an hour and half and then put it in a pan and cover it for the rest of the time.

eddienel

Reaction score
A thermometer is a must. 160 in the breast and 175 in the thigh. Any higher and the turkey will be dry. Remember just like a steak the turkey will still cook for about 15 minutes after being pulled off the pit. Good luck and keep us posted. I usually cook for about 30 people for every Thanksgiving.

500bbc

Reaction score
Bake it in the oven, smoked turkey is blasphemy!
Blaspheme this! CJbuilder recommended the Orion years ago, have two and use them all the time. 16# bird 1:45 minutes.

Attachments

• orion turkey.jpg
    orion turkey.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 29

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Throw it away and go buy some nice steaks.

Your welcome.

I have smoked maybe 20 Turkeys over the years. The problem is they all tasted like, well...Turkey.
I take breast readings and pull it out of the smoker @170. Let it sit for at least an hour.

Xring01

Reaction score
Throw it away and go buy some nice steaks.

Your welcome.

I have smoked maybe 20 Turkeys over the years. The problem is they all tasted like, well...Turkey.
I take breast readings and pull it out of the smoker @170. Let it sit for at least an hour.

I have smoked many of Turkeys over the years. To me its quite simple....

Inject the shit out of it... I use melted Butter, hint of Apple juice, and Poultry seasoning. Mix that up in a bowl, and inject the shit out of that bird....

I also use a "Aromatic Stuffing"... this is not for eating, its for the internal cavity of the turkey, as it heats/steams, those flavors permeate the Turkey. Every year is a bit different.... But to the effect of sliced apples, diced celery, onion, garlic, butter, poultry seasoning. Dont fill the cavity, only about 1/3 - 1/2 full. You want the heat to get in there and steam the stuffing.

I smoke them at 225-250 for about 2hours, then I increase the temp to 325 until its done.... If the outer skin is getting to dark for you, then put foil over it when it gets to the color you like.

Never had a dry turkey, never had a complaint.

sintax

Reaction score
Get on FB marketplace and find a used xl big green egg. Target $800 . Easy to learn & best food you’ll ever eat.

I’m doing a 20 lb spatchcock turkey this year over mesquite

I'm with you on this, but I would say its a fairly steep learning curve for someone whos not familiar with the core concepts of running a charcoal pit, esp last minute doing a turkey for a group of people.

my first turkey on my egg I did'nt notice it was cooking unevenly left to right, didnt notice until I pulled it to rest. The left side of the turkey was totally done, perfect, and beautiful, the right side.... about 10 degrees cooler. I ended up just carving the half off, and throwing the bird back in the oven to finish it off.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I'm with you on this, but I would say its a fairly steep learning curve for someone whos not familiar with the core concepts of running a charcoal pit, esp last minute doing a turkey for a group of people.

my first turkey on my egg I did'nt notice it was cooking unevenly left to right, didnt notice until I pulled it to rest. The left side of the turkey was totally done, perfect, and beautiful, the right side.... about 10 degrees cooler. I ended up just carving the half off, and throwing the bird back in the oven to finish it off.

I agree

I have owned,built quite a few smokers over the years and a Kamodo takes a little time to learn. Big turkey plus family waiting is asking for failure unless you have temp control down.

It took me a couple cooks on my big vision to get things right and that was just spatchcocking chickens. First time was a epic fail had it cruising at 220 and my wife started with the we need to eat at 5:30 bit. I screwed with it to adjust temp and lost control and Before you know it you are at 450 degrees and there is no stopping the freight train.

My advise would be a pellet smoker. Go see Darrel at Robinson automotive I believe he is a green mountain dealer. Watch a couple YouTube videos for burn in and getting that turkey brined and seasoned and you will be in business.

sintax

Reaction score
I agree

I have owned,built quite a few smokers over the years and a Kamodo takes a little time to learn. Big turkey plus family waiting is asking for failure unless you have temp control down.

It took me a couple cooks on my big vision to get things right and that was just spatchcocking chickens. First time was a epic fail had it cruising at 220 and my wife started with the we need to eat at 5:30 bit. I screwed with it to adjust temp and lost control and Before you know it you are at 450 degrees and there is no stopping the freight train.

My advise would be a pellet smoker. Go see Darrel at Robinson automotive I believe he is a green mountain dealer. Watch a couple YouTube videos for burn in and getting that turkey brined and seasoned and you will be in business.

thats no joke.

Those big ol ceramic chambers end up being like a giant capacitor. I try everything I can to not induce too much air into that chamber. I think thats the first thing you learn with a kamado, is DO NOT open that lid unless you absolutely have to, and if you do, have your shit together and be ready to get it done and lid shut as quickly has humanly possible. Once that thing takes off, theres no stopping it.