WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fuck me. **boating content** 😕

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That’s terrible. What was the cause of the leak? Bellows?

HST4ME

Reaction score
Boat racers are the best. Hopefully we have a race on Bay City for you to come over and watch.

DLC

Reaction score
That sucks!
sorry must be a terrible feeling! Just glad everyone is safe.

A stupid question -
do they have insurance ? Wonder how that works…. Probably way to much $$$ to raise it up and bring it back

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Sad to see that but glad the crew was rescued

Lumpy

Reaction score
Terribly sorry to see this. Looks like everyone is safe and will return home...thank GOD!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
P
That sucks!
sorry must be a terrible feeling! Just glad everyone is safe.

A stupid question -
do they have insurance ? Wonder how that works…. Probably way to much $$$ to raise it up and bring it back

It's in six to eight hundred feet of water. It's staying right where it is.

That’s terrible. What was the cause of the leak? Bellows?

I haven't talked to her dad yet. Just texting here and there.

I've heard an exhaust manifold cracked, and that the fiberglass around one of the manifolds melted. I'll get a first hand story tomorrow maybe.

I'll let y'all know when I know for sure.

Mototrig

Reaction score
That's a horrible situation to be in. Sorry for your dad's loss.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Terribly sorry to see this. Looks like everyone is safe and will return home...thank GOD!

Yes. Agree. His brother, son in law and grandkids were all on the boat.

That had to be a horrible ride back to the port. It lived in Oxnard. 😕

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
No doubt you father-in-law thinking if you were on board Joe you would have handled the situation and she not go down. Damn, what a loss.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Sorry to see this Joe. That really sucks. Glad they all got off the boat.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Oh shit, I had saw this on youtube like an hour or so ago (tow/rescue boat view). Glad everyone is ok, it's a bummer.

sirbob

Reaction score
Scary day of boating / sorry about the family boat. Sure glad everybody is safe.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Damn sorry to see that. Everyone’s safe👍
Very calm radio call.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Damn. ThTs terrible. Sorry for you FIL loss. Glad everyone made it off safely

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Sorry he lost is pride and joy and glad no one went swimming. The Uni's are great cruisers in big water.

RichL

Reaction score
Good that everyone got off safely. Sorry they had to experience the loss.

Meaney77

Reaction score
That's such a bummer....

Another stupid question but when something like this happens are the boat owners responsible for any of the clean up and coast guard call, etc?

rrrr

Reaction score
A real shame. He must have spent an innumerable amount of hours making the Veranda just right. It was a beautiful boat.

It's a testament to the responsibility and seamanship of your father-in-law that he had a VHF radio on board, PFDs for all hands, and kept his cool in an emergency. It has to be frightening as hell to be out on the ocean and knowing the boat is going down.

Thank God everyone is OK.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Glad they’re safe.

They said a broken exhaust. Could be anything like water pump impeller piece blocking a coolant hose causing the exhaust to burn the hose to the transom. Either way it’s a 4”+ hole in the boat under the water line. No bilge pump (or pumps) can pump the quantity of a 4” hole. I guess by the time it was noticed that there was a lot of water in the bilge and keeping it on plane with one engine and trying to contain the leak just wasn’t an option. Sucks.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
That’s scary as hell. Sorry to hear Joe. If there’s anything the forum can do to help let us know. Glad everyone got off the boat safe.

Tank

Reaction score
That SUCKS!!! Sorry to see that. Glad everyone got off safe and sound.

hallett21

Reaction score
Really sorry to see this. All I can say though is thankfully everyone got off safe. These stories often end up much worse. Just glad everyone is around to tell the story 👍🏻

shunter2005

Reaction score
Hey Joe

Sorry to hear about your FIL's boat. I am just glad everyone made it off safely. It could have been much worse. Boats, like cars can be replaced. Family can't. Let us know when you find out what happened.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Happy to hear all are safe, as to the rest, well that sux.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sorry to see that happen. I'm glad all aboard are safe and accounted for.

wallnutz

Reaction score
That's heartbreaking to watch. That's a lot of blood, sweat and tears to watch go down.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
This actually a GREAT boating story. Your father in law lost his boat - i get it, horrible, BUT, he had the presence of mind to be able to save his grandkids, son in law, and himself. Life jackets, sized correctly, and communication are the 2 most important accesories on a boat out on big water. I have 5 grandkids, and if anything happened to them while they were with my on the boat, i wouldn't be able to live with that . Boat's come and go - your father in law is nothing short of a hero in this story

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Not much that hasn't been said, so glad everyone's safe.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
@rivermobster man that is horrible. Sorry for your family! Glad everyone was plucked off before she went down and they went swimming. It's only money.....everyone is safe!

Taboma

Reaction score
Wow, the way your father-in-law handled that emergency at sea was truly professional. 👍👍👍
As boat owner's and skippers who put the lives of others in our charge once we take command, it's impossible to plan for every emergency, be it with maintenance or provisioning.
We can only hope we react as he did, keeping his calm, and making intelligent choices in the face of chaos and impending doom.

Bravo, Bravo --- And you tell him, us other skippers applaud him and his actions. Because if he's like the rest of us, once the adrenaline nerves settle, once it gets real quiet, it's easy for guilt and self doubt to slip in and do it's ugly deed.

A man went to the bow and released the inflatable so it could float free as the vessel went down, is certainly a smart move. Often time simply doesn't allow for orderly deployment, but by releasing it, it's readily available for anyone forced to abandon ship.

I'm so sorry, I only hope during this time of $$$ inflation the insurance company provides ample and just restitution.
I also hope your mom's dad can get right back on the horse as the saying goes.

After a horrible accident my dad was involved in, he was perfectly fine for two or three days, then guilt and fear struck and he suffered a massive nervous breakdown that hospitalized him for a few days. His was a towing accident, he never towed again.

So keep an eye on him, provide emotional support in case he needs it.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Sorry for the loss...I'm sure it was part of the family with many memories. I hope he has the ability to continue his boating.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Interesting they only called out his latitude.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Incredible,one minute everything ok,within another few short minutes your FIL stepped up big time. Make sure he reads this thread in the next few days at the least the old man will realize he still has what it takes. WTF Joe,old as you are your FIL must be coming up on 80 years of age. :)

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
That's such a bummer....

Another stupid question but when something like this happens are the boat owners responsible for any of the clean up and coast guard call, etc?
No stupid questions..... I'm not certain however I think owner may be liable for fuel clean up if any takes place... seems like I've heard that coast guard rescue always ask how much fuel is onboard. That may only be in shore close situations. We'll let others chime in for accuracy.....

rrrr

Reaction score
No stupid questions..... I'm not certain however I think owner may be liable for fuel clean up if any takes place.

It would be a bit difficult to recover fuel and oil from thousands of feet under the surface.