WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ungrateful employees

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
LOL memories... Before JBP took off I did general auto repair , hired a kid from Walmart "lube pit" who begged for job , for Xmas one year I bought him a rollaway , when his car broke down I paid to fix it and over a few years he became more than a janitor and a decent mechanic with training , when He wanted a raise I couldn't give it to him so he announced he was leaving to Work in SLO at a dealer for .50cent an hour more and gave two weeks notice , I paid him thru the end of the pay period and told him politely to hit the bricks.. He drove around the parking lot for a half hour yelling fuck you's .... 10 or so years later He sent me a long apology letter and thanked me for the training he received , He had gone back to school and became an Auto Shop teacher in Nor cal .... We called him Johnny Dirt ;)

Laguna

Reaction score
Just sold my business of 28 years the only reason I did was because of employees. I had an employee tell me to fuck off I told him maybe he should go home and cool off. He asked if I was firing him I said no but if he said it again I would. He told me 2 more times so I let him go. He hired an attorney saying I owed him pay. Insurance company paid him out even though I had all records they said it would be cheaper then going to court. This was just one of many over the years lots of them stealing materials and customers while working for me I don't miss it one bit as it is getting worse everyday.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
It’s our business and that’s pretty much all we do is remedial waterproofing
Must of been a prevailing wage project you were on that you posted about. You seemed happy about working on that project. 😂

TVMNick

Reaction score
Jeezus. 50%? That awful. When I got my current position I had only worked here about a month or 2. They have me $250. It's minimal compared to my annual income buy I called my big boss and thanked him. In past positions I either shaked their hand or called then and thanked them. Its just the right thing to do

Your reputation is what people think about you, your character is what God knows about you. I tell this to my players all the time.
I was definitely saddened by it, to the ones who didn't say thank you I can't imagine the reaction if I didn't give the bonus at all. It's become an expectation for them, the past few years have been good to me and my business and I don't mind sharing that, but I fear the time when I don't have the ability to do all that I currently do and I feel those days are coming sooner rather than later.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Give him a real reason to make him feel that way about you. If there was going to be a Christmas bonus this year, he lost his. Or beginning next year, no more travel pay.
I never understood why labor employees feel entitled to so much when in reality they don't do anything to generate their work own work load. All they do is show up to a pre scheduled work day and work 8 hours. They don't hustle for work, risk anything, and fight to get paid which is what the employer experiences 24/7.
That guy should be given a talking to or reminder of how easy his job is and how easy his paycheck comes to him.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Lucky for you business owners that your still in business and have shitty employees.

I’d take shitty employees and a thriving business Any day .

Over being forced to close a super fun easy business
Being finned trying to stay open
Eventfully losing thousands and selling .

Just say’n

So this holiday season
Be thankful that you are still
In business
Cause it can go bad real fast

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
It is rough for employers right now. I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to tell employees to go f themselves but then realize that I still have a business to run and the tail is wagging the dog right now and I have to figure out how to make everything work as I get more and more angry inside. It doesn't matter what state you are in. There are help wanted signs up across the nation looking for labor. Seems like a lot of entry level people think they are to good for entry level jobs.

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
That is unfortunate....we sponsor Marlins stadium and I remember a story Darek Jeter told...He was asked what do you do at this level to find the best talent.....He said try and find good character...at that level everyone has the minimal amount of skills needed but character would be the difference between mid pack and playoffs. In my field it is an employee's market... We have to pay at 75% or better of job scales to find talent and leave it open to remote work 100% to attract them...I have hired what I felt were the most well rounded people vs the smartest person in the room and I have to say it has paid dividends....Unfortunately losing talent in a small company or team is real setback so probably time to start recruiting but keep in mind with the next person you may trade one set of problems for another..

King P.V.

Reaction score
I always said, " Who's smarter? Him for getting what he wants....or You? , for giving him what he demands??"
It's a simple equation. Employment is a two sided relationship. You pay him to do his job without drama, to the best if his abilities. He shows up, does the work, represents your company, you and himself in a positive manner. And gets paid every two weeks as compensation.IF, you like him, you are an appreciative employer, maybe, just maybe he'll get more.. its a 2 way street .. if one party isnt happy then it ain't a good relationship. Bow out if you see it!!!!

rrrr

Reaction score
I had an employee whose 20 year old son was diagnosed with stage four colon cancer. I told him to stay home and keep his family close, and I paid him his full wages for four months before the kid passed away.

Two months later he quit, told me I had never appreciated his work, I took advantage of him, and didn't pay him what he was worth. He was a journeyman electrician, making over $75K. He said he had a new employer that would pay him more and respect him.

I cut his check, told him he wouldn't find anyone that would treat him better than I had and GTFO of my office. He lasted three months at his new job before he was fired, was caught falsifying his time and expense account. He actually called me asking for a job. I told him to fuck off.

I

Last edited:

Joker

Reaction score
I had an employee whose 20 year old son was diagnosed with stage four colon cancer. I told him to stay home and keep his family close, and I paid him his full wages for four months before the kid passed away.

Two months later he quit, told me I had never appreciated his work, I took advantage of him, and didn't pay him what he was worth. He was a journeyman electrician, making over $75K. He said had a new employer that would pay him more and respect him.

I cut his check, told him he wouldn't find anyone that would treat him better than I had and GTFO of my office. He lasted three months at his new job before he was fired, was caught falsifying his time and expense account. He actually called me asking for a job. I told him to fuck off.

I
I figured taking care of people because they actually help you earn a decent income would be enough. Seems as though I have been wrong this whole time. This may boil down to your situation since I do hands on work with him and the tension may be a bit too much.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Never did get the bad mouthing exit? I always figure what do I have to gain and loose. Guess some people have to get pissed off to quit. I’ve always agonized over quitting even when I’d been taken advantage of and undervalued. They’ve always been “ what wait let’s talk”. Sorry I’m out. Good luck.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Why did ya pay him at all to sit at home?

If the company has no work then it has no work.

I can tell ya what if someone worked for me and talked to me that way that woulda been a real short conversation.. ending with “Fired”

Take your wife out to a first class evening courtesy of his Christmas bonus.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I think I'd give the guy a 3 day mini vacation (no pay) for his racist comment...

I'd like to add: That's a 3 day mini vacation in the form of a written warning with 3 days off pending termination. The written warning is part of progressive steps of discipline that gets a sour employee one step closer to the exit door. In the real estate world it's location, location, location. In the workplace it's document, document, document...
This...Its been a few years since I had legitimate w2 workers under me. When I was the RME at my last corporate job we NEVER lost a single unemployment case. We were super lenient/forgiving/island mentality with work/late/personal issues etc...and you get the occasional ones who will shit on you. Had a college buddy come work for me as a foreman..he tried the work comp route when he got fired (I didn't have a choice, he screwed up bad on a board member of the parent company's home and I was bluntly told he was gone or I would be). When he lost he then sued us for racial discrimination, the company was big..we had in house attorneys he lost. We are no longer friends..and I will never have a "friend" or family member work for me again.

Last edited:

Joker

Reaction score
Why did ya pay him at all to sit at home?

If the company has no work then it has no work.

I can tell ya what if someone worked for me and talked to me that way that woulda been a real short conversation.. ending with “Fired”

Take your wife out to a first class evening courtesy of his Christmas bonus.
The problem Dave is actually finding replacement workers so it’s not so easy to just cut someone loose. I figured Id step up being it is a holiday and the guys got 2 kids so i wanted to keep his income somewhat stable.The flip side of this is that I’m now always going to regret the guy working for me making it uncomfortable daily.
Will he ever find someone who takes care of him the way that I do? Absolutely not but he is blind to that.
This is what I get for pampering him the way I have.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Give him a real reason to make him feel that way about you. If there was going to be a Christmas bonus this year, he lost his.
I deleted a long drawn out deal about this, but wanted to say if you have good employees never screw with bonuses that are banked on or part of a comp package. It will lead to bad things. I went scorched earth and pulled my GC license from a firm over this a few years ago. Got most of my money when I retained an attorney. (roughly 1/3 of my comp package) That company no longer has a GC firm under its umbrella...word spreads when you screw people and they couldn't find someone to hang a license for a year after I left.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I deleted a long drawn out deal about this, but wanted to say if you have good employees never screw with bonuses that are banked on or part of a comp package. It will lead to bad things. I went scorched earth and pulled my GC license from a firm over this a few years ago. Got most of my money when I retained an attorney. (roughly 1/3 of my comp package) That company no longer has a GC firm under its umbrella...word spreads when you screw people and they couldn't find someone to hang a license for a year after I left.
If there's terms in the employee contract I could see this. If it's a generosity thing from the employer, it's up to the employer which I'm guessing is the OP deal, if there are bonuses.
It's nice to receive bonuses but not the end of the world if you don't. The money was free anyways. I've always seen a bonus as free money you didn't earn but I've never had any professional employee/employer contract, just a handshake blue collar worker.
I've gotten 3 to 5 figure bonuses along with everyone else that year to no bonus with a few others while others got bonuses that year. None of these were in any contract. I understood why and it wasn't fair morally but not the end of the world. If I didn't like it I have the opportunity to start my own business and do bonuses the way I would like along with fighting for work, risking everything, fighting to get paid, working 24/7, and employees... Being an employee is easy and not getting a bonus (money) I didn't earn doesn't seem so bad given I just show up to work, work, and never had a late paycheck or have one bounce.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The problem Dave is actually finding replacement workers so it’s not so easy to just cut someone loose. I figured Id step up being it is a holiday and the guys got 2 kids so i wanted to keep his income somewhat stable.The flip side of this is that I’m now always going to regret the guy working for me making it uncomfortable daily.
Will he ever find someone who takes care of him the way that I do? Absolutely not but he is blind to that.

The answer to the problem is right there in your last sentence..

I’d fire his ass. Believe me you will find someone if your motivated to find someone.

rrrr

Reaction score
I figured taking care of people because they actually help you earn a decent income would be enough. Seems as though I have been wrong this whole time. This may boil down to your situation since I do hands on work with him and the tension may be a bit too much.
I essentially gave the guy $25K for sitting at home for four months. Me, the big hearted sucker who was torn to pieces because the kid was dying, and the employee, who felt I was cheating him out of money and disrespected him.

It was an eye opener. I'll never do anything like that again. I discovered most people don't give a shit about loyalty and integrity. Now I'm just another cynical asshole that only worries about me.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
If there's terms in the employee contract I could see this. If it's a generosity thing from the employer, it's up to the employer which I'm guessing is the OP deal, if there are bonuses.
It's nice to receive bonuses but not the end of the world if you don't. The money was free anyways. I've always seen a bonus as free money you didn't earn but I've never had any professional employee/employer contract, just a handshake blue collar worker.
I've gotten 3 to 5 figure bonuses along with everyone else that year to no bonus with a few others while others got bonuses that year. None of these were in any contract. I understood why and it wasn't fair morally but not the end of the world. If I didn't like it I have the opportunity to start my own business and do bonuses the way I would like along with fighting for work, risking everything, fighting to get paid, working 24/7, and employees... Being an employee is easy and not getting a bonus (money) I didn't earn doesn't seem so bad given I never had a late paycheck or have one bounce.
Totally understand that, I meant that if it's part of a contract as was my case. I prefer to work on performance based pay vs just a salary. My bonus was a % of net spelled out in increasing tiers in my contract..and we had a banner year. It was kind of a clark Griswold moment...I was that pissed when I saw it. I turned in my mandatory 90 day notice that I was pulling my license on that Friday when I submitted my resignation. Short version is the guy responsible was manipulating numbers of divisions to pad his bonus. 3 division directors as we were called resigned within weeks over it. There is a reason I back up my books/QBO/excels and bank statements weekly if not daily. I turned in a file to the controller and the shit hit the fan. He got sued by the firm after the fact for that and other issues and was forced to resign less than a year later.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I essentially gave the guy $25K for sitting at home for four months. Me, the big hearted sucker who was torn to pieces because the kid was dying, and the employee, who felt I was cheating him out of money and disrespected him.

It was an eye opener. I'll never do anything like that again. I discovered most people don't give a shit about loyalty and integrity. Now I'm just another cynical asshole that only worries about me.
The thing is, I know you're not that cynical asshole. Maybe cynical, and may be an asshole, but I know you don't only worry about yourself as some of your posts have shown the contrary. I think employees take advantage of employers at times. I think the level of comfort and familiarity leads to people forgetting what was given or taken.
I can't believe someone would have taken such a gift from you, and then repayed you in that manor. I know I'm an asshole, but I couldn't do anything like that. Hell, the guy that covered for me when I had to take Pops to the hospital got a fifth of whiskey. The guy I had climb the truck to get my finger and ring, he got a big bottle of Crown;)

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I would fire him immediately if I could. . I don't think you could legally firing him because he called you a jew and had no other written up offenses. If there weren't enough grounds for firing him, I would give him every shit job that I had and eventually he would quit.

I kept a petty cash fund to help employees when they needed it. I used it a lot during the 08-09 downturn. Bought numerous sets of tires for guys vehicles ect... Never once had one disrespect me. As someone said above it is better to hire character.

DWC

Reaction score
We do an annual company survey to see how our employees feel about their job. Doesn’t matter where they are or what level the results across the board are way down. This is after a large portion of the company working from home, record results/bonuses, PTO, etc.
The pandemic wrecked some people. They’re unhappy and put it on everyone else. Inflation has only made it worse. People think companies should offset the higher cost of living. There’s a whole generation that hasn’t been through 9% unemployment, except during the stimmy times. It’ll take a good recession to reset everything.

j21black

Reaction score

Nah - Do it again - It was the right thing to do on your part. I would bet other employees saw it and it reflects well with them. Sure you are going to have whiners about things from time to time, but I would bet you gained a ton of respect with other employees.

Where I am at, I see things happen along these lines several times a year. I am not the one that ultimately makes that decision but am involved or have seen it play out several times a year it seems with 4,000+ employees. 99% are very grateful overall and we have some very loyal employees as they know the company will help however it can in times of crisis.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
I’m just disappointed it came to this. I pay him drive time, pay him 8 if he’s there for 6 and this is the end result.
in my biz calling the boss a Jew in a derogatory manner equals getting fired.

rrrr

Reaction score
Nah - Do it again - It was the right thing to do on your part. I would bet other employees saw it and it reflects well with them. Sure you are going to have whiners about things from time to time, but I would bet you gained a ton of respect with other employees.

I didn't reveal the payments to anyone, because I knew it would cause dissention and grumbling. In spite if my intentions, word of it leaked out. The only people that knew were the employee I was paying and my bookkeeper. Of course both of them denied it.

Knowledge of my actions among other employees did exactly what I had tried to prevent. They all talked among each other, and there were a couple that actually asked me what kind of bonus they were going to receive for taking up the slack of the employee I was paying to stay home.

I called a meeting. I wasn't very tactful about what I said, because I was pissed off the leak had occurred, and by the employees that had asked for bonuses.

I told them I owned the company, and that the decision I had made to pay the employee was my prerogative. As for the two that had asked for more pay, I chewed their asses. I told them if one of their family members was dying, they would get the same deal.

I also said, in front of everyone, that they were self centered heartless assholes. I continued. Yes, they had to take up the slack for the missing man. But for them to begrudge the man my largesse, to ignore the fact he was suffering an unspeakable tragedy, to use his pain as a reason for them to get more pay, was one of the most selfish and cowardly acts I had ever witnessed.

So all of this, the ingratitude of the man with the dying son, the revolt of the other employees without any consideration for his situation, and the disruption it caused the business, made me decide I wasn't ever going to do something.like it again.

By the way, one of the two employees I roasted at my meeting quit. He said he wasn't going to work for someone that had embarrassed him in front of the entire group. I was so pissed off by the way he had acted I told him I was happy to accept his resignation, and that he needed to grow some balls, because with his attitude toward others, he was just an insignificant speck of shit.

I failed Human Resources 101 that day. I didn't care.

j21black

Reaction score
I didn't reveal the payments to anyone, because I knew it would cause dissention and grumbling. In spite if my intentions, word of it leaked out. The only people that knew were the employee I was paying and my bookkeeper. Of course both of them denied it.

Knowledge of my actions among other employees did exactly what I had tried to prevent. They all talked among each other, and there were a couple that actually asked me what kind of bonus they were going to receive for taking up the slack of the employee I was paying to stay home.

I called a meeting. I wasn't very tactful about what I said, because I was pissed off the leak had occurred, and by the employees that had asked for bonuses.

I told them I owned the company, and that the decision I had made to pay the employee was my prerogative. As for the two that had asked for more pay, I chewed their asses. I told them if one of their family members was dying, they would get the same deal.

I also said, in front of everyone, that they were self centered heartless assholes. I continued. Yes, they had to take up the slack for the missing man. But for them to begrudge the man my largesse, to ignore the fact he was suffering an unspeakable tragedy, to use his pain as a reason for them to get more pay, was one of the most selfish and cowardly acts I had ever witnessed.

So all of this, the ingratitude of the man with the dying son, the revolt of the other employees without any consideration for his situation, and the disruption it caused the business, made me decide I wasn't ever going to do something.like it again.

By the way, one of the two employees I roasted at my meeting quit. He said he wasn't going to work for someone that had embarrassed him in front of the entire group. I was so pissed off by the way he had acted I told him I was happy to accept his resignation, and that he needed to grow some balls, because with his attitude toward others, he was just an insignificant speck of shit.

I don't give 2 shits about what they said or how they felt.

You 100% did the right thing.

The fact that the employee refused to acknowledge it, shame on him....

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I just want to know where the company owes everyone everything attitude came from.
This attitude comes from a few places;
1) have you seen the benefits (salary, pension and job protection) that EVERY government and public sector employee gets. Ever hear of a government employee getting fired.
2) companies, especially larger ones have and are still screwing everyone who's not being incentivised with stock options as bonuses. All management cares about is hitting targets to maximize the next quarter's bonus. Screwing employees is part of this.
Unfortunately - the private employers (like you guys above) are getting hammered by this.

D19

Reaction score
So my buddy is having his guys do work at my house. He's charging me a daily rate per guy. Thanksgiving week, he's at the river and his guys are only working half days at my house. I get to the river on Thanksgiving and tell him what's going on. He paid them all in advance since he was going to be gone all week (very nice of him) so they screwed him and he has to eat it. Who knows how many other jobs they've done this on.

On one hand I am blown away that those guys still have jobs, but on the other hand I know it's not easy to find anyone who wants to work and is worth a damn.

That's crappy position for you to be in John. I know how I am... I'd probably fire him out of spite and deal with having to find someone new. I know you very well and you paying him to sit at home in an example of the person you are. He is an idiot not to appreciate that. The employees want everything because they think it's owed to them, but they work their shift and go home- that's it. No stress, no responsibility, no personal investment. They have no idea what it takes to find work, secure it and run a damn business. They get paid before you do. F that guy!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

Being around roofing my whole life, and growing up before "safe spaces", I miss the days where a boss could tell an employee to "get fucked", or vise versa. The way it was, I was taught, the boss makes the rules, that's why he's the boss. I always liked working for people like that, everyone knew where they stood!

D19

Reaction score
Being around roofing my whole life, and growing up before "safe spaces", I miss the days where a boss could tell an employee to "get fucked", or vise versa. The way it was, I was taught, the boss makes the rules, that's why he's the boss. I always liked working for people like that, everyone knew where they stood!

I was just talking to my wife about this. When I was young I got my ass chewed out bad a few times and it was the best thing for me. Taught me to be a better worker. Sometimes people need to get yelled at to get a point across. But no, now everyone is a pussy and you can't be curt with your employees.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I was just talking to my wife about this. When I was young I got my ass chewed out bad a few times and it was the best thing for me. Taught me to be a better worker. Sometimes people need to get yelled at to get a point across. But no, now everyone is a pussy and you can't be curt with your employees.
Talking to a retired iron worker friend of mine, we both agreed the trash talking over the course of the day was the major perk. I couldn't survive on a roof deck now, guys worried about "feelings". Sweat together, bleed together, talking trash and calling each other names was parr for the course. Called out when late up the ladder, go down the ladder early you better buy for the crew.
The good ole days.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
While we are venting......

All our maggots used to be salaried employees.... guaranteed 40 hours a week, rain shine work or no work. Did this for years

The revolt came that we were ripping them off, taking advantage of them, bla bla bla

So hourly they all became, time sheets are tracked and verified, gps is monitored and crossed to time sheets, no work go home, no taking vehicles home, no extras, no 3 hour lunches, nothing, the ring leader was fired

We have put approx 80,000 after costs more into the company per month

Christmas bonuses will be paid to very few this year

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score

Workplaces are not a democracy. Movies make people stupid.

I grew up in times like you all where the Boss was the King. What he says goes. If you don't like it, there's the door. If you talk shit to him, you might get an ass whoopin on the way (granted if he was capable of it).

Most employers I have worked for go by the simple rules.

Rule #1 : The Boss is always right.
Rule #2 : If in doubt, always refer to rule #1.

wallnutz

Reaction score
I have reverse karma or something. Every time I help out an employee or give bonuses, I have a turn of bad luck never fails. I helped a kid get his immigration papers in order, even helped pay the lawyer that did it. I also helped him with his child support, we worked out a deal with DES to take out a little from the beginning to get him back on his feet and then we would pay more into it for him. Right after it was all completed he started coming in late every day, he started missing days. The kicker was he started questioning the way we did things. After about two months he came to me and asked for a raise, I flat out told him no. I asked him if he really thought he deserved a raise when he comes in late and misses at least a day every other week, sometimes once a week. He told me that he was going to quit and go to work for his bil for cash so he would make more money. He told me he would give me two weeks notice, I never saw him again. But he did call and leave me a nasty message when DES caught up to him (because I gave them his new address, his bil's phone # so they could contact his new employer).

I only offer paid days to long time employees, like my super that has been with me since I started on my own. There has been a few others over the years too, but not that many. So this last year has been pretty good for us. I told my wife that I was going to do a trial run for Christmas bonuses by paying them for Thanksgiving day. Well, only one guy is getting a bonus, the only one that said thanks my super.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have reverse karma or something. Every time I help out an employee or give bonuses, I have a turn of bad luck never fails. I helped a kid get his immigration papers in order, even helped pay the lawyer that did it. I also helped him with his child support, we worked out a deal with DES to take out a little from the beginning to get him back on his feet and then we would pay more into it for him. Right after it was all completed he started coming in late every day, he started missing days. The kicker was he started questioning the way we did things. After about two months he came to me and asked for a raise, I flat out told him no. I asked him if he really thought he deserved a raise when he comes in late and misses at least a day every other week, sometimes once a week. He told me that he was going to quit and go to work for his bil for cash so he would make more money. He told me he would give me two weeks notice, I never saw him again. But he did call and leave me a nasty message when DES caught up to him (because I gave them his new address, his bil's phone # so they could contact his new employer).

I only offer paid days to long time employees, like my super that has been with me since I started on my own. There has been a few others over the years too, but not that many. So this last year has been pretty good for us. I told my wife that I was going to do a trial run for Christmas bonuses by paying them for Thanksgiving day. Well, only one guy is getting a bonus, the only one that said thanks my super.

That’s a good idea with the t day!

Singleton

Reaction score
We do an annual company survey to see how our employees feel about their job. Doesn’t matter where they are or what level the results across the board are way down. This is after a large portion of the company working from home, record results/bonuses, PTO, etc.
The pandemic wrecked some people. They’re unhappy and put it on everyone else. Inflation has only made it worse. People think companies should offset the higher cost of living. There’s a whole generation that hasn’t been through 9% unemployment, except during the stimmy times. It’ll take a good recession to reset everything.

Same at my company. Employee satisfaction is down compared to pre-Covid surveys.
I sit on the committee that gets tasked to come up with ideas to address issues communicated in the survey.
Had a call last week and I said, “we can’t give everyone a raise (raises are earned through performance), so if your idea is to just pay everyone more, please delete that idea and come up with another one”. That did not go over well with other committee members and they are trying to get me removed from the committee. Those that want me gone are meeting with the CEO staff member who sponsors the committee this week to ask that I be removed. I already talked to the sponsor and told them, “I will not resign from the committee, I was voted to be on this committee by my peers in sales engineering for 2 years and I plan on honoring that commitment”.

My ideas that the committee will not present to CEO staff (did not get enough votes).
1 - remove the mandatory PTO week between Christmas and New Years. Replace with a requirement that during the holiday season (starting with Thanksgiving week, ending the friday after New Year), all employees are required to take 40hrs of PTO. Accomplishes the same goal, but gives the employees flexibility over when it is taken.
2 - after 4 years of service, your PTO accrual is apx 6.5 hours per pay period (18 days). Non-OT positions have unlimited PTO for people managers or equal level individual contributors. I stated we should allow those OT eligible and non-unlimited to accrue more PTO - after 7 years (21 days) after 10 years (25 days).
3 - offer a cash out on PTO. Max PTO you can carry is 144 hours. Allow all employees to cash out PTO when they take PTO. Take 4 hours PTO, you can cash out 4 hours PTO.
4 - instead of having a ‘day of volunteering’ for each office. Give each employee 16hr of volunteer hours and allow them to use those hours for volunteer activities they support

If I was to leave the committee, it will be due to folks only thinking money matters and not finding ways to rewards folks outside of pay raises and training days :)

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Super unfortunate situation.

Sucks to do a stand up thing and get kicked in the balls for it.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

You don't pay time off for major holidays?

DWC

Reaction score
Same at my company. Employee satisfaction is down compared to pre-Covid surveys.
I sit on the committee that gets tasked to come up with ideas to address issues communicated in the survey.
Had a call last week and I said, “we can’t give everyone a raise (raises are earned through performance), so if your idea is to just pay everyone more, please delete that idea and come up with another one”. That did not go over well with other committee members and they are trying to get me removed from the committee. Those that want me gone are meeting with the CEO staff member who sponsors the committee this week to ask that I be removed. I already talked to the sponsor and told them, “I will not resign from the committee, I was voted to be on this committee by my peers in sales engineering for 2 years and I plan on honoring that commitment”.

My ideas that the committee will not present to CEO staff (did not get enough votes).
1 - remove the mandatory PTO week between Christmas and New Years. Replace with a requirement that during the holiday season (starting with Thanksgiving week, ending the friday after New Year), all employees are required to take 40hrs of PTO. Accomplishes the same goal, but gives the employees flexibility over when it is taken.
2 - after 4 years of service, your PTO accrual is apx 6.5 hours per pay period (18 days). Non-OT positions have unlimited PTO for people managers or equal level individual contributors. I stated we should allow those OT eligible and non-unlimited to accrue more PTO - after 7 years (21 days) after 10 years (25 days).
3 - offer a cash out on PTO. Max PTO you can carry is 144 hours. Allow all employees to cash out PTO when they take PTO. Take 4 hours PTO, you can cash out 4 hours PTO.
4 - instead of having a ‘day of volunteering’ for each office. Give each employee 16hr of volunteer hours and allow them to use those hours for volunteer activities they support

If I was to leave the committee, it will be due to folks only thinking money matters and not finding ways to rewards folks outside of pay raises and training days :)
My out of state team does a better job at taking their vacation. Any state that is use it or lose it works out ok. California peeps get it rolled over (up to 1 1/2 what they accrue a year). The long tenured people seem to like to have some money in the “bank”.
It’ll be interesting to see what happens on the next survey. We’ve been back full time in the office since July. The admins / support are supposed to come back in mid-Jan. My admin has been with me for a dozen years. She’s already hinting she can’t come back in because she has kids. A bunch of others are saying the same. Our main office opens up at the same time. Estimates are as high as 25% to 30% of people will quit.