WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Parker Sherrifs Need a MRAP? Wtf?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
On Saturday the La Paz County Sheriff's Office took delivery of an MRAP. This armored vehicle was acquired through the 1033 program at no cost. Thank You to Reserve Deputy William Seltzer who works constantly to obtain equipment that we would otherwise not have. We would also like to thank CMI transport and their staff for facilitating the pick-up and transport of this vehicle.

We understand that some will think we have no need for this type of equipment. However in the past we have had to wait on armored vehicles to come from Phoenix and Yuma in emergencies. The safety of our community and Deputies responding to active incidents should not depend on waiting hours for resources.

2C46F621-742F-4870-A392-6047424FB146.jpeg
00713288-4CC1-44D1-8C3B-0542ED15BFB7.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That was the post they put out on fb..

It reminds me of a saying “The most expensive kind of boat, is a free one.”

The maintenance to keep this thing usable for LEO would be enough to choke an elephant..

This goes along with a couple of crazy military helicopters.. for reasons that completely escape me.

I am pro cop, but I can’t think of any reason that the La Paz county sheriffs Dept needs any of this stuff. What do they need military grade armored vehicles for?

Insanity.

wallnutz

Reaction score
That was the post they put out on fb..

It reminds me of a saying “The most expensive kind of boat, is a free one.”

The maintenance to keep this thing usable for LEO would be enough to choke an elephant..

This goes along with a couple of crazy military helicopters.. for reasons that completely escape me.

I am pro cop, but I can’t think of any reason that the La Paz county sheriffs Dept needs any of this stuff. What do they need military grade armored vehicles for?

Insanity.
There is a lot of guns in La Paz county, that's the only thing I would be driving to check vaccine compliance... 😅 😅

grumpy88

Reaction score
I talked to one of the young riverside boat cops who police the strip and he was very aggressive in attitude . I dont think they are going to rest till they kill off parker tourism . Lastly nothing is free . Just because it didnt come out of there budget does not make it free . " We " paid for it .

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I'm not happy about that too but they are half way around the world, not local and able to use it heavy handed on us.
You have a good point, not sure I'm completely there yet.

WildWilly

Reaction score
kinda goes along the "rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it" theory in my opinion....especially with that program at least they aren't spending local tax payers money

Mikes56

Reaction score
I can see it has its uses, although very limited. Patrol cars don’t offer any protection from a handgun round, let alone a rifle round. I can see it being used in an officer rescue or a narcotics search warrant or an active shooter at a school.

How nice would it be to just drive thru the school to rescue kids that had been shot, without risk being shot yourself?

We could have used it when Jake Kuredjian was shot. Jake had taken a rifle round to the head and was laying in the street in front of a house. The boys had to drive into the line of fire in a patrol car and pull him into the backseat.

It takes hours to get a SWAT armored vehicle to any scene, this could save valuable time.

81Sprint

Reaction score
I don't see the problem, good for them. Thankless job that needs every bit of safety they can get IMO. Overkill? maybe. If it saves one life? Absolutely worth it.

That IS one hell of a piece of machinery!

2Driver

Reaction score
Fucking government unchecked and out of control. Why our 1400‘ home and cabana were $4000 a year in property tax.

Just like Buckskin needed a $350k wildland brush truck that was always out of state or the twin whacked cat as a fire boat. Fuckers are using taxpayers money like it’s their personal lottery winnings. LOL Aren’t the county offices still on a 4 day work week.

Oh wait we owe it to them and if it just saves one life it’s worth it. 😏

Last edited:

jailbird141

Reaction score
You never need an MRAP, until you need an MRAP. Regardless of how anyone feels about law enforcement obtaining military equipment, it should be noted that the amount of military grade equipment and weapons being obtained by criminals is a much larger problem than it has ever been. More so than most could even imagine. Most people do not realize that side of the equation. Criminals are obtaining military grade weapons, body armor and equipment at a staggering rate. That is in addition to a problem of the criminal element joining the military just to get tactical training and training in weapons use. That should concern anyone, regardless of who you are. The "bad guy" is constantly evolving and building their army and arsenal. I am not saying that local law enforcement having military equipment is wrong or right, just to step back and look at all sides of the situation. Has everyone forgot about the Hollywood shoot out several years ago? The police showed up and were out gunned and could do little to stop the crooks until a local gun store equipped them with firepower equal to the crooks, then it was game over. So, just think about the bigger picture. I am pretty sure the police will not be patrolling your neighborhood in the MRAP or doing car stops with it, lol.

grumpy88

Reaction score
You never need an MRAP, until you need an MRAP. Regardless of how anyone feels about law enforcement obtaining military equipment, it should be noted that the amount of military grade equipment and weapons being obtained by criminals is a much larger problem than it has ever been. More so than most could even imagine. Most people do not realize that side of the equation. Criminals are obtaining military grade weapons, body armor and equipment at a staggering rate. That is in addition to a problem of the criminal element joining the military just to get tactical training and training in weapons use. That should concern anyone, regardless of who you are. The "bad guy" is constantly evolving and building their army and arsenal. I am not saying that local law enforcement having military equipment is wrong or right, just to step back and look at all sides of the situation. Has everyone forgot about the Hollywood shoot out several years ago? The police showed up and were out gunned and could do little to stop the crooks until a local gun store equipped them with firepower equal to the crooks, then it was game over. So, just think about the bigger picture. I am pretty sure the police will not be patrolling your neighborhood in the MRAP or doing car stops with it, lol.
This is parker not a area of 20 million . It needs to be kept in perspective

jailbird141

Reaction score
This is parker not a area of 20 million . It needs to be kept in perspective
Crime can and will happen anywhere. Crooks travel. Actually, it is no secret than criminals and criminal organizations are spreading out from the big cities and densely populated areas. Not saying Parker has crime, I am sure it doesn't. But, back to my point, you don't need an MRAP, until you need an MRAP. Or, as stated by another, better to be looking at it than looking for it. I guess it's just the idea of being prepared instead of unprepared. It is probably a safe bet that it will sit unused, until it is needed.

2Driver

Reaction score
CRIT got a $15 million check for covid payday, let them maintain it. They are pros at keeping things maintained.

The MRAP is fine, but Parker is totally exposed as It has no air support. I think a few Apaches and a handful of F-35‘s are required to protect the citizens.

You don’t need them until you do. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
as people continue buying up residential property and installing toy barns in place of single family dwellings the tweakers are being displaced and have taken to the streets We need MRWRAPS and other such vehicles for population control. @rivergames

Or we could bus them to Havasu. :)
AbzghYzsSzdEv1CuSnDyNHUBvP6.jpg

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I would have aggreged with RD (for one in southern Utah)...........now I have seen them used in the St. George - Washington County area. I'm happy we have one available to use in our area.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
I am ok with a 1033 MRAP as long as they received a shit ton of maintenance supplies along with it.
I can’t buy the argument that this will cut down response times. Once an incident is called in and assessed to require use of this tool, La Paz needs to find an available deputy who is trained and certified to operate it and I doubt this is a solo job. Then it has to be driven from wherever they store it. I bet this is at least 1 1/2 hr to get it on site.

2Driver

Reaction score
Twin 450 outboards on a pontoon....who realistically really needs that for a retirees sofa boat?
But what the hell, if it's available better having it than not.
Big difference Zig, that’s you spending your money.

No one accused the government as having any sense judgement or a basic grasp of symptom-diagnosis

If the government was a Doctor it would prescribe 2 aspirin for cancer and chemotherapy for a cold.

Last edited:

FreeBird236

Reaction score
21 thousand crossed at Yuma last month, how many other places, how many cartels and what's their distance limit.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
kinda goes along the "rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it" theory in my opinion....especially with that program at least they aren't spending local tax payers money

As I said above.. nothing more expensive than a free boat. The maintenance on this is crazy money. There is a reason they are “free”

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Remember when the peace was kept by a basic six shooter revolver and old school cop car?

Civilization is now so advanced, and we are so beyond things of the past... that local police need brand new Tahoe’s, explorers, Ford raptors.... AR-15’s on motorcycles, MRAPs etc! All the political policies of the last 30 years have really paid off LOL.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We have 2 mrap vehicles here in town. One is county, one is town PD. They use them for high risk warrants County wide. The last time one was used locally, was when a dipshit took shots at a deputy's home. His 5yo was in the front room! They found out who, and rolled deep.

I would have been ok with them running the mrap right over the guy.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
CRIT got a $15 million check for covid payday, let them maintain it. They are pros at keeping things maintained.

The MRAP is fine, but Parker is totally exposed as It has no air support. I think a few Apaches and a handful of F-35‘s are required to protect the citizens.

You don’t need them until you do. Its better to be safe than sorry.
To be fair, La Paz County does have a helicopter program.

Part of my job is traveling to different LE Agencies across the country, you'd be surprised how many small agencies have MRAPs sitting in their garage. I was at an agency of 20 sworn officers in rural MN (La Paz is 40) with an MRAP.

Also, you can't say in the same sentence that the maintenance will be ruinously expensive and say that they won't use it. Sure there will be annual things that need to be addressed even if it sits there, but they shouldn't have to do anything major outside of tires and fluids with it probably getting used less than 2k miles/year on mostly paved roads. I found an older article that a company won the contract to service the entire fleet of MRAPs for the Army at a cost of 13.2mil, according to google the US Army has 20,000 MRAPs so that's $660/vehicle average.

2Driver

Reaction score
As I said above.. nothing more expensive than a free boat. The maintenance on this is crazy money. There is a reason they are “free”

Hence the, phrase, you can pay too much for a free boat. 😁

Yep, transport out of town for maintenance, highly special parts….these things are insane to upkeep, It’s why it takes an entire country's tax base to keep them running. Tire replacement about $30k. Blah blah.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
If it’s 1200 on the regular market... you can guarantee the govt will find a way to pay 4-6k per tire. X6 tires... then mount a balance LOL. You act like they care about frugality and saving money.
lol my day to day job is to deal with govt procurement processes specifically related to PD selling a premium product. Trust me, takes a lot of justification to get them to spend money on the premium product.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score

I am pro cop, but I can’t think of any reason that the La Paz county sheriffs Dept needs any of this stuff.
The problem with ALL of our public agencies is no one says "we need less shit". I don't have a solution, but whether or not it is needed, there is always government creep. Every office, Dept, Mgr, Politician, Police, Fire etc. etc. etc always wants more shit. Unsustainable. When the size of our Govt agencies exceeds the size of the private sector, we will collapse.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
21 thousand crossed at Yuma last month, how many other places, how many cartels and what's their distance limit.

That is handled by an entirely different agency? Which is easily stopped with minimal
Common sense.

Arming the Sherriff’s with this, to stop a problem that they aren’t responsible for, or even handle?