WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Parker Sherrifs Need a MRAP? Wtf?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
A few years ago I would have aggreged with RD (for one in southern Utah)...........now I have seen them used in the St. George - Washington County area. I'm happy we have one available to use in our area.

How are they using them? And what is going on that would require it? Let alone in la Paz county?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score

2:00 mark is where the big vehicle gets busy.

riverroyal

Reaction score
the money is going to be spent regardless so why not give the cops a dream rig. No F'ing way I would be in law enforcement, we all love the BEST tools for our craft, well they got one!
Its also 35 minutes to Havasu if the zombie's come

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
How are they using them? And what is going on that would require it? Let alone in la Paz county?
last time there was a idiot driving from Hurricane towards Zion shooting at random cars, I think he hit at least 6 cars with gun fire. they got him stopped before he got to the park. that incident turned into sorta a shootout between the shooter and the LEO's MRAP is/was a good barrier/shield...

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
One word: EGO! Or LAM!

Now wait for the new paint job and decals (including the new sheriff's name plastered all over it). Couple of thousand.
Radios, lights, etc.: another $2,000-3,000
Bumpers, rams, customizing, etc $3,500 - $5,000

For a county that's broke, well, actually more than broke, underwater by several million, this is an expense they can't afford.

They'll take the money for upkeep and repairs (and the above initial costs) out of special funds, like the "Officer Safety Fund", that should be going to vests, training, new firearms, etc.

They've had a few of these or similar, over the years. Every other newly elected Sheriff decides we "need" this. They sat and rotted in the sun, after some training events and appearances in a few parades, and were turned back in to the DOD, after neglect made them unserviceable.

Maybe this time it will be different. :rolleyes:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
80,000 unvetted refugees have been transferred and planted into society in AZ, I rather have LEOs with all the equipment they would EVER NEED in almost any event and also have some equipment that hopefully they would NEVER NEED JUST IN CASE... Anything to keep LEOs safe while doing a job most would piss in their pants if they had to just one time....

I couldn’t disagree more. That is a crazy way to run a local government resource.
That was my point, SWAT vehicles can cost half million dollars and more why not take a freebie? We as taxpayers already paid for them

Maintenance isn’t free nor is outfitting them and keeping them relevant.

Reactions: DWC

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
You never need an MRAP, until you need an MRAP. Regardless of how anyone feels about law enforcement obtaining military equipment, it should be noted that the amount of military grade equipment and weapons being obtained by criminals is a much larger problem than it has ever been. More so than most could even imagine. Most people do not realize that side of the equation. Criminals are obtaining military grade weapons, body armor and equipment at a staggering rate. That is in addition to a problem of the criminal element joining the military just to get tactical training and training in weapons use. That should concern anyone, regardless of who you are. The "bad guy" is constantly evolving and building their army and arsenal. I am not saying that local law enforcement having military equipment is wrong or right, just to step back and look at all sides of the situation. Has everyone forgot about the Hollywood shoot out several years ago? The police showed up and were out gunned and could do little to stop the crooks until a local gun store equipped them with firepower equal to the crooks, then it was game over. So, just think about the bigger picture. I am pretty sure the police will not be patrolling your neighborhood in the MRAP or doing car stops with it, lol.

That was almost 25 years ago and it was in Kalifornia not Parker. I'm pretty sure the police in Parker have no need for an MRAP. But sure, it's "free" except for the tens of thousands it'll cost to keep it running and being used at the annual Parker Police Parade :rolleyes:

Skip to 7:05 for Phillips' death

dread Pirate

Reaction score

Up here it gets used a few times a year. Some tweaker barricades himself in a home or takes a hostage, domestic disturbances with firearms etc. High speed chase in a stolen car leads to a house in a rural area etc. They park this thing in the front yard and start negotiating.

Also for rural search and rescue. Probably gets used for that the most.

Last edited:

81Sprint

Reaction score
1638910809023.png

Auction ends tomorrow, they better get on it!

EarpRider

Reaction score
Long Beach Police Dept acquired three OH6 helicopters from the government years ago. Never used any of them. I'm not sure how we eventually got rid of them, I think we gave one to Compton. And part of these government programs is that you can't sell anything they give you.

thetub

Reaction score
maybe they can go out rock crawling in that thing 🤪

dont hate they need their fun too...

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Armored vehicles are very useful. We request and use them more than you would think.

Let me ask it to you this way. You are a unifomed police officer assigned a call of a barricaded suspect that is firing rounds from inside his house out into the neighborhood (happens far more than you would think). You can't just sit back and internet warriorism this to conclusion, you actually have to roll there and deal with this problem head on. Depending on where you work you may or may not have a SWAT team that can respond. At some point you need to get close enough to that location to safely rescue or remove residents next door, and set a entry team in case there is another person in the house that needs rescue.

You can chose an Armored up vehicle like the one you started this whole thing over, or your standard Ford Explorer, Crown Vic, or Dodge Charger.

What is your pick to handle that problem Dave?

We request these for calls for service weekly. Most of time the problem is resolved before anybody has to get shot, but you never know when it is going to go sideways. If you really don't think there is a legitimate use for these in Law Enforcement, I would say you, or anybody else for that matter, really doesn't know what we are dealing with in these times.

spectras only

Reaction score
I'd love to be able to buy a surplus BTR-60 we had when I was serving in the commie army in Hungary. I could use it for the local lakes without the need for a tow vehicle, or have 8 friends with me in it when the zombie apocalypse breaks out. ;)
14.5 mm cannon and 7.62 machine gun equipped. 👍
20.000 euro

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Armored vehicles are very useful. We request and use them more than you would think.

Let me ask it to you this way. You are a unifomed police officer assigned a call of a barricaded suspect that is firing rounds from inside his house out into the neighborhood (happens far more than you would think). You can't just sit back and internet warriorism this to conclusion, you actually have to roll there and deal with this problem head on. Depending on where you work you may or may not have a SWAT team that can respond. At some point you need to get close enough to that location to safely rescue or remove residents next door, and set a entry team in case there is another person in the house that needs rescue.

You can chose an Armored up vehicle like the one you started this whole thing over, or your standard Ford Explorer, Crown Vic, or Dodge Charger.

What is your pick to handle that problem Dave?

We request these for calls for service weekly. Most of time the problem is resolved before anybody has to get shot, but you never know when it is going to go sideways. If you really don't think there is a legitimate use for these in Law Enforcement, I would say you, or anybody else for that matter, really doesn't know what we are dealing with in these times.

Well I’m not a cop and I don’t deal woth that kinda shit.. but if you are asking me how I would handle that situation? The answer is from a distance.. where he ain’t gonna hit me but if he is shooting shots out a window I’m gonna hit him.

No waiting on the armored vehicle. No ridiculous maintenance costs.. Just some training and about 3.00 worth of bullets if you are any good. (That’s assuming you miss once)
image.jpg

Am I completely off base here? Or does that kinda solve the problem?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Well I’m not a cop and I don’t deal woth that kinda shit.. but if you are asking me how I would handle that situation? The answer is from a distance where he ain’t gonna hit me but if he is shooting shots out a window I’m gonna hit him.

No waiting on the armored vehicle. View attachment 1072888

The situation he described is evacuating the innocent not eliminating the guilty (not always an option)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The situation he described is evacuating the innocent not eliminating the guilty (not always an option)

He said some dude is shooting rounds into the neighborhood. ??

I suppose we could what if’s until
The end of time.. but I have a hard time justifying why the La Paz police department needs something like this..

Let alone several military helicopters? These things can be free, but god damn they are expensive.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think the police involved need both...in fact, let's put a mini-gun on the MRAP 😂

Several years back we had an issue with a deranged "Ashforkian". Guy took a shot at a volunteer deputy, hit his mag pouch shredding his leg. Suspect's home was in the middle of a 40acre parcel, partially wooded, unknown number of residents. All three available SWAT units and MRAPS were called to scene. DPS bird on scene at nightfall. Bird used night sun to visually impair, and dropped to about 50ft off the deck and hovered. The rotorwash covered the sounds of the approaching MRAPS. When the dust settled, the suspect surrendered. No shots fired. It was at that point the officers on scene discovered there were 2 young kids inside, including a newborn.

I'd rather my tax money go to maintaining equipment like this, than go to illegal immigrants driving nicer cars than me. It's the lesser of two evils.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
To be fair, La Paz County does have a helicopter program.

Part of my job is traveling to different LE Agencies across the country, you'd be surprised how many small agencies have MRAPs sitting in their garage. I was at an agency of 20 sworn officers in rural MN (La Paz is 40) with an MRAP.

Also, you can't say in the same sentence that the maintenance will be ruinously expensive and say that they won't use it. Sure there will be annual things that need to be addressed even if it sits there, but they shouldn't have to do anything major outside of tires and fluids with it probably getting used less than 2k miles/year on mostly paved roads. I found an older article that a company won the contract to service the entire fleet of MRAPs for the Army at a cost of 13.2mil, according to google the US Army has 20,000 MRAPs so that's $660/vehicle average.
I wonder what went wrong in Havasu that caused La Paz to take charge of Havasu's choppers?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

The end of time.. but I have a hard time justifying why the La Paz police department needs something like this..

Let alone several military helicopters? These things can be free, but god damn they are expensive.
Sure but you aren't always going to have a shot. You can work a problem from 2 different angles too. Not mutually exclusive to set up a shooter and use armored shit to evacuate at the same time.

I will default to BoatCop's local perspective, if La Paz has already proved that they won't use one of these effectively then probably not a good idea for them to get it. Doesn't mean that other agencies won't be able to use it effectively.

pinhead

Banned
Reaction score
Well I’m not a cop and I don’t deal woth that kinda shit.. but if you are asking me how I would handle that situation? The answer is from a distance.. where he ain’t gonna hit me but if he is shooting shots out a window I’m gonna hit him.

No waiting on the armored vehicle. No ridiculous maintenance costs.. Just some training and about 3.00 worth of bullets if you are any good. (That’s assuming you miss once) View attachment 1072888

:rolleyes:

EarpRider

Reaction score
You get an armour vehicle and you get an armour vehicle!😁

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

No waiting on the armored vehicle. No ridiculous maintenance costs.. Just some training and about 3.00 worth of bullets if you are any good. (That’s assuming you miss once) View attachment 1072888

Paper targets don't shoot back.

spectras only

Reaction score
You guys might be interested reading about the four RCMP officer killed by one person in Alberta back in 2005. It's movie material how they screwed up knowing this guy's history with the law.

An armoured vehicle from the Canadian Forces Edmonton Garrison was called in, but subsequently stood down as not needed.[15] The Emergency Response Team sent in a Remote Mobile Investigator, a robot with a video camera attached, and determined that all four officers and Roszko were all dead. I'd like to hear T&Y's opinion on the article how this could have happened.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
You guys might be interested reading about the four RCMP officer killed by one person in Alberta back in 2005. It's movie material how they screwed up knowing this guy's history with the law.

An armoured vehicle from the Canadian Forces Edmonton Garrison was called in, but subsequently stood down as not needed.[15] The Emergency Response Team sent in a Remote Mobile Investigator, a robot with a video camera attached, and determined that all four officers and Roszko were all dead. I'd like to hear T&Y's opinion on the article how this could have happened.
As you pointed out, they screwed up. They knew the guy had issue with LE, knew he had weapons and probably had a good idea he was going to come back. Two guys to guard a rural farmhouse property is pretty light, and I'm sure things have changed because of this incident.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Fuck it . Raise property taxes for , " just in case " ! When will they start building for the possible china invasion in parker ? It could happen .

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Stay safe behind the keyboard Dave. You don't have to understand it, just like I don't understand all facets of your business.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Stay safe behind the keyboard Dave. You don't have to understand it, just like I don't understand all facets of your business.
To be fair its not about keeping leo safe its the debate about cost . We , the tax payer and citizen looking to be protected deserve the right to choose at what cost financially . If nobody wants the job at what " we " are willing to spend then people need not apply .

pinhead

Banned
Reaction score
To be fair its not about keeping leo safe its the debate about cost . We , the tax payer and citizen looking to be protected deserve the right to choose at what cost financially . If nobody wants the job at what " we " are willing to spend then people need not apply .
Yeah, defund the police! Never thought I'd hear that here...

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score

Yep. I agree. Maintenance costs alone on mostly idle equipment are always way beyond whats projected. This doesn’t even include the all training costs and time needed to show the guys how to drive it properly or training teams how to operate from it…

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
How else are you going to safely insert social workers into a gun battle?

Wait till the departments starts liking this "Free" mraps. Then you will see budget requests for new fully loaded man movers. It's happening already in many communities because of the heat they are catching from Karen on the military look of things. Time to buy stock in Oshkosh, Navistar, BAE.

hallett21

Reaction score
Seems like it would make more sense for Havasu to have this type of vehicle. Only because they have a larger department with what I assume is a larger maintenance staff.

I’m not sure what the proper term is but you could set up a “joint forces” with Parker that allows them to use the vehicle when needed.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
where I will break with you is that I have faith in the LE who would be tasked to drive that through someone's front door for being unvaxxed to say no. That may be a misplaced faith and I may be biased based on my profession, but based on the daily interactions I have with LE give me that faith.

Nothing to do with the MRAP but, I as well have faith that many LEOs will say no. The problem is those officers will either be fired or resign leaving only the ones that blindly obey and don't care about the people.

Where I live the county Sherriff is a friend and is like minded. He has declared our county as a gun sanctuary county meaning he won't comply with our commie governor's BS gun grab laws. He also won't enforce mask or vaccine mandates. Unfortunately, when the SHITF it will be the feds doing the enforcing and they will bypass local LE.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Seems like it would make more sense for Havasu to have this type of vehicle. Only because they have a larger department with what I assume is a larger maintenance staff.

I’m not sure what the proper term is but you could set up a “joint forces” with Parker that allows them to use the vehicle when needed.
Mohave County has one and Havasu City Council just approved Havasu PD to purchase one. Since it was listed as a purchase, I'm guessing they are purchasing a new BearCat or something similar instead of the 1033 program that La Paz just used from DOD.

The proper term you are referring to is often called Mutual Aid, sounds like from the statement that they put out was that they had mutual aid set up with other agencies but that they were taking too long to show up.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Mohave County has one and Havasu City Council just approved Havasu PD to purchase one. Since it was listed as a purchase, I'm guessing they are purchasing a new BearCat or something similar instead of the 1033 program that La Paz just used from DOD.

The proper term you are referring to is often called Mutual Aid, sounds like from the statement that they put out was that they had mutual aid set up with other agencies but that they were taking too long to show up.
"Mutual Aid" must be what they do up here. I think our SWAT teams may be called out, so one is at scene, and next on alert to cover the surrounding area. Hell, most officers here know all the others. It's weird, but kind of cool.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
"Mutual Aid" must be what they do up here. I think our SWAT teams may be called out, so one is at scene, and next on alert to cover the surrounding area. Hell, most officers here know all the others. It's weird, but kind of cool.

A lot of smaller agencies have regional SWAT teams where they call in different people from different agencies when a SWAT response is needed. Mostly because they don't have enough dedicated people at just one agency to build an effective team. I would think Prescott PD has enough people to build out their own.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
That was the post they put out on fb..

It reminds me of a saying “The most expensive kind of boat, is a free one.”

The maintenance to keep this thing usable for LEO would be enough to choke an elephant..

This goes along with a couple of crazy military helicopters.. for reasons that completely escape me.

I am pro cop, but I can’t think of any reason that the La Paz county sheriffs Dept needs any of this stuff. What do they need military grade armored vehicles for?

Insanity.
Wait till BLM protests come to havasu

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A lot of smaller agencies have regional SWAT teams where they call in different people from different agencies when a SWAT response is needed. Mostly because they don't have enough dedicated people at just one agency to build an effective team. I would think Prescott PD has enough people to build out their own.
All three have their own I believe, PPD, PVPD and YCSO. They work both together and independently. Luckily, not too many instances I'm aware of when all were requested.

I'm sure you've heard stories of the type of "collectors" we have up here. Anything from the Dillon Reloader "family Huey" South of Kirkland, to multiple privately owned MRAPs and some giant 10 wheeled personel carrier that showed up a month or so back here in PV. It's definitely not the normal guys with a couple AR's.