WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu This Weekend (1/13-1/17)

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Heading out this weekend with my older boys. Leaving Thursday after school and coming home Monday.

Looking to do some SXS rides if anyone is in town and wants to plan something.

Shoot, may even drop the boat in on Friday as it is looking to be in the mid 70's.

Singleton

Reaction score
Did you get a SXS?

we are heading to Superstition for the annual SD 4-Wheelers event.
Might head to Havasu for Winter Blast and wiling to chase you around in the Jeep.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Heading out tomorrow through Monday. Definitely in for some SXS’ing. I have to work Friday so no boating..
Yeah, I have some work to do at the house on Friday and have to register my Acura too. If the wind isn't blowing in the afternoon, we may drop in but who knows. Boat is all detailed and under the cover so not sure if I want to hassle with cleaning and shit once we are done if it is only for a couple hours on the water. You got my number so hit me up and show me some cool riding spots. Really have no clue on where the good riding is. We went to some sand dunes last time and that was fun, but I am sure there is a ton more to see.

Did you get a SXS?

we are heading to Superstition for the annual SD 4-Wheelers event.
Might head to Havasu for Winter Blast and wiling to chase you around in the Jeep.
Yeah, grabbed one when we were out for New Years so want to get some riding in before my birds come in on 2/1. Might even drag it back and check out Superstition. Saw some pics and the riding looks pretty cool out there.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Heading out this weekend with my older boys. Leaving Thursday after school and coming home Monday.

Looking to do some SXS rides if anyone is in town and wants to plan something.

Shoot, may even drop the boat in on Friday as it is looking to be in the mid 70's.
We will be in town but not till Saturday. Was considering running the boat but would prolly be in for a ride also.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Isn’t this a boating website?! You guys all have boats why not take advantage of have 3 dunes to yourself @wet hull is rebuilding his motor so he won’t be there.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Isn’t this a boating website?! You guys all have boats why not take advantage of have 3 dunes to yourself @wet hull is rebuilding his motor so he won’t be there.
It’s cold with a colder wind coming from the south. Just got back from a dog walk, lake was pretty snotty. Weekend looks ugly unless you plan to sit in the channel.
7AC1CF32-2E33-4C2D-87F7-EAF58340CF2C.png

DWC

Reaction score
Not a great boating weekend but should be solid in a SXS. Friday is going to be windy but that’s not the worst thing in the dirt.

01C3BD5E-5BEA-427E-8C8F-292D9F1137B0.jpeg
82F4CDDD-57C4-4DF3-AA89-84D44062FEA3.jpeg
2CBD4C80-67ED-4954-A5B4-5B569AB9773B.jpeg

Riverryder

Reaction score
Wind doesn’t matter once your on ythe river @ONE-A-DAY and this is rdp where members have the biggest baddest boats! Haha

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Don’t take this the wrong way Joe, but I’m kinda hating on you right now. Enjoy brotha.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I have Ride Command so there are a bunch of trails on that, just need to know where to start. Would I be able to go the back way from the entrance down the street from my house??
Yep. Just start heading up towards the power lines making your way north. Go above the dump and move north. I can draw you a rough map tomorrow. You really can’t get lost, there are a couple different valleys that take you the back way over to bunker. It is slower trails, and takes longer but it is a fun ride.

On the ride command figure out how to use it to record your route, that way is you won’t get confused if you do make a wrong turn and have to double back.

DWC

Reaction score
I have Ride Command so there are a bunch of trails on that, just need to know where to start. Would I be able to go the back way from the entrance down the street from my house??
There’s obviously a ton of ways to get there. The smoothest but slowest way…. We hit Falls Spring Wash, take it under the 95, follow the trail to the last power lines and hang a left.
The fastest way is hugging the 95 past the airport and through the washes near the campgrounds. Those washes will knock fillings out but you’ll get there quick
027351DE-DBA6-4E29-A515-AF96C4748FD1.jpeg

dspracing

Reaction score
@OldSchoolBoats did you not get the Gaia gps app from paradise when you rented from them? Bunch of cool destinations and trails on there. That is what I have been using. I can send you the file or stop by their shop when you get in.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
@OldSchoolBoats did you not get the Gaia gps app from paradise when you rented from them? Bunch of cool destinations and trails on there. That is what I have been using. I can send you the file or stop by their shop when you get in.
I didn't because when I rented from them we went on a group ride so it wasn't necessary. I ended up buying a SXS the next day and have Ride Command. I haven't had any time to mess with it so not sure of all the features. Can you upload files to ride command?? Total newbie here.........lol

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Post up if there is a time that some of you guys are going to be at the Bunker Bar. Maybe. I can convince the wife to go for a ride. But we’d be in a Jeep so ride a long with SXSs is not possible.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
We are wide open on Saturday for anything, all day long. Sunday have to be back for the playoff games at 2:30 but are planning on riding in the morning.

If anyone wants to set something up for Saturday and get a group going, post in here. I really only know how to get to Bunker Bar on my own so if there is a group, we will follow.

DWC

Reaction score
Here’s my 2cents from someone still fairly new to the hobby.
Don’t get too hung up on an exact map around town. Heading to Alamo, definitely get a route. Heading to Topock figure out how to get under the tracks and past the “closed area”. From Bunker Bar to the concrete plant just know that the washes get you up the hill and utility lines go side to side. If there’s a trail above and running parallel to the wash use it. 😬
If you’re running alone use the trails closer to the 95. Nothing wrong with a well traveled trail if something goes wrong. Do a dry run in the garage and put on a fresh belt. (Break it in properly). Change a tire to make sure you have everything. Make sure you have a tire patch kit/inflator.. You’ll use them at some point in the desert. Trying it for the first time on a trail isn’t much fun.

PS. The bunker bar is below the neighborhood in Havasu Heights. Any trail that leads you there is fine.

E7FDF47C-DAAB-4921-8CF1-1C8E034F0D20.jpeg

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Don’t get too hung up on an exact map around town. Heading to Alamo, definitely get a route. Heading to Topock figure out how to get under the tracks and past the “closed area”. From Bunker Bar to the concrete plant just know that the washes get you up the hill and utility lines go side to side. If there’s a trail above and running parallel to the wash use it. 😬
If you’re running alone use the trails closer to the 95. Nothing wrong with a well traveled trail if something goes wrong. Do a dry run in the garage and put on a fresh belt. (Break it in properly). Change a tire to make sure you have everything. Make sure you have a tire patch kit/inflator.. You’ll use them at some point in the desert. Trying it for the first time on a trail isn’t much fun.

PS. The bunker bar is below the neighborhood in Havasu Heights. Any trail that leads you there is fine.

View attachment 1080179

You are exactly right.. If alone stay close to civilization. You cant really get "lost" if you are on the west side of the mountains behind town. There is the 95, mountains and town/lake. you will always hit/see one of the 3.

Washes go up and down the and powerlines will take you across north south.

@OldSchoolBoats - a fun short night ride is to the top of Bison Wash. Nice view and great place for a fire. You can get there from your house and back completely off road.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Sounds like you're going riding, but the Speedway is also running saturday afternoon. I think gates open at noon and races at 2

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
There are 100 ways to get to the top of Bison, but here are a couple and anything around or in between works. The top of Bison is the crossing point to get from the north side of town to the South side of town off road. You can see in the lower right everything flows away from it to the south.
Bison.JPG

If you want to go mess around in some sand/silt and have a drink or fire close to the water, go this way. Take Lindon Bridge road, make a left on Chenoweth, and you are there. It is not a huge area but there is plenty of space to have fun and lots of trails in the sand. A fun but quick night ride is start at the 95 bridge, going up to Bison, then down to the water and back to the 95 bridge. After adding beer stops and a fire it is a 2-3 hour ordeal :)
Sand.JPG

Last edited:

rpmsrup

Reaction score
Never been to the bunker bar, but have gone to topok and oatman from havasu a few times, have been desert offroading my entire life, just gonna cruise up with my wife

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

View attachment 1080179
Got a portable inflator, repair kit and a compact hydraulic floor jack so good on that. Have watched a few YouTube videos on changing out the belt. Might be something I give a shot at on Friday morning as I do have a brand new spare belt in the tool bag. Break in looks pretty easy from what I read online. 5 miles in low??

Having the GPS should help with location if I find myself turned around or what not?

Reactions: DWC

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Sunset ride to the b25 engine on Friday? It’s not a real long ride but a cool destination and good views.
Down, just let me know where to meet. Definitely don't want to do a long ride in the evening time so that sounds rad. Maybe a few others will want to join to 👍👍

DWC

Reaction score
Got a portable inflator, repair kit and a compact hydraulic floor jack so good on that. Have watched a few YouTube videos on changing out the belt. Might be something I give a shot at on Friday morning as I do have a brand new spare belt in the tool bag. Break in looks pretty easy from what I read online. 5 miles in low??

Having the GPS should help with location if I find myself turned around or what not?
Yeah, 5 mins ish on low. Doesn’t hurt to start off a fully loaded ride in low for a bit. The guys at the shop told me the biggest problem is people “slipping the clutch” so to speak on inclines. Either engage the belt or don’t. If you drive with a lead foot they tend not to last very long either. I’d change it out to make sure you’re familiar and you have all the tools.
Having the GPS file will eliminate turn arounds.
Same as if you had a file to get to 3 dunes. Getting there is half the fun though. Have the final destination marked and enjoy the ride. I turn moments will happen. I use them to crack a soda and relax.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Go change the belt on Friday in your garage. Just pull the one you have off, and put it back on. It is better to learn in the garage than on the trail. Also put something in your tool bag to cut with. A knife, snips, box cutter, something. If a belt goes on the trail you might need to do some cleanup. I dont know if it came with your car, but they do make some specialty belt changing tools that make it very quick

If you get through that you might try to just jack up the car front and rear with your floor jack, just so you know the places where your jack works and is stable. You may want to throw some wood as a base for the jack in your tool box. Many times you aren't on flat or solid dirt. when you cut a tire down. The wood will provide a base so the jack does not sink into the dirt. I have 2 18" 2X4s sitting at the bottom of my box for that purpose. The cutting tool will also work for cutting the tire plug excess.

Last but very important - Put a set of mechanics gloves in your tool box, because belts, tires, wheels and stuff will be hot when you change it on the trail.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
And Joe, if you are parking the car in the garage, loading and unloading it on the trailer, doing multi point turns, or just driving it slow, use L gear as DWC mentioned. Much easier on the belt. Trying to go under 5 mph in H gear is not good for belt life long term. It is not going to kill it if you do it once, just dont make a habit of it.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
And Joe, if you are parking the car in the garage, loading and unloading it on the trailer, doing multi point turns, or just driving it slow, use L gear as DWC mentioned. Much easier on the belt. Trying to go under 5 mph in H gear is not good for belt life long term. It is not going to kill it if you do it once, just dont make a habit of it.
Best tip someone gave me was simple. Don't feather the throttle just push the F'er down.😁

dspracing

Reaction score
Where is that at?
I have it on the gps but from what I recall you go to the top of bison where everybody shoots and keep heading up on that trail. Small trail to left leads you to a parking area. Short 2 min hike to the engine.
Pin 2 on the map below
66BF42FA-8763-4242-AA0F-0011351EB6DF.jpeg
DDDDA8B1-DA40-44EE-A1B5-DE03075D0425.jpeg
5E4AD830-EEDC-451D-9A71-61D9A8E40D08.jpeg
6819DF42-56BC-4B30-BF6D-14091EAF1438.jpeg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I have it on the gps but from what I recall you go to the top of bison where everybody shoots and keep heading up on that trail. Small trail to left leads you to a parking area. Short 2 min hike to the engine.
Pin 2 on the map below
View attachment 1080207 View attachment 1080208 View attachment 1080209 View attachment 1080210
Up past the firepit towards the waterfall? Your pic back towards lake looks well past the firepit.
I dig seeing shit like this out in the wild.

DLC

Reaction score
Rule of thumb for can am is under 25 mph-
tight slow going / moving crawls
hilly mountain crawls or rock gardens, canyons

low gear cools the belt while driving slow under load

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Up past the firepit towards the waterfall? Your pic back towards lake looks well past the firepit.
I dig seeing shit like this out in the wild.
Yea its back past the fire pit area.