WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hirohata Merc…an Icon…As Boat Guys what is our Equivalent?

Clank123

Reaction score
Got thinking today about all the talk about what the Hirohata car sold for as well as some of the other Hot Rods and Race Cars that have been restored.
It is too bad, as boat guys, we haven’t been able to hold on to all those classic River/Show/Race boats from the late 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.
I have been fortunate to be involved with the restoration of a few of them like the Banzai BFH, the Panic Mouse BFF(probably the holy grail of Flatbottom Drag Boats), the twin engine Campbell race boat Renegade(the last wood 20 and the boat the was copied to make the glass 20s ) and am working with Billy B right now to restore the Shockwave BFH.
I’ve also had the privilege to restore a few 60’s Flatbottoms back to period correct which has been cool.
My point is there are very few boats from back in those days still around.
I know Dean Moon’s Moonshine is fully restored and the big Allison powered boats that Rudy and Patterson built are around.
Many of the Crackerboxes as well as Don St. John’s super stock from that era are still accounted for but not many more.
So where did they all go?
When we found the 1963 AAF dragster Chubasco, it was hanging from the rafters in Mike Leach’s shop.
We restored it and joined the Cacklefest group and it was fun!
Sadly it seems there aren’t many left, Gary Steele’s Ski Race boat, Sunny Jones Black Power, the Down and Out is in the Mezzanine at Dago’s shop…I’m sure there are others.
So many were crashed, parted out or just left to rot in a field.
So what would be our California Kid, Greer Black and Prudomme dragster or Hirohata Mercury if we could find it?
Same to you big boat guys.
Are some of the iconic boats from this period still around? Cigarettes, Nordskogs boats, etc?
Shame to lose our history that we can’t touch and see in person.
Sure be great to have a few more of these around.

Last edited:

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
So what would be our California Kid, Greer Black and Prudomme dragster or Hirohata Mercury if we could find it?

For some the answer will be different because of age. Id have to say that the 80's dragboats would be what I would want to have, but they don't have the historical presance like the Merc did. Boats like Dago Red are still around, I think that's one that set some trends. The early rollcaged fuelers would be awesome to have around too, Madness and Hillbilly. You're right about the Panic Mouse boat, that was awesome to see come back to life! That one for me though I really didnt know about because I wasnt even a thought when it was current.

I ended up with an 80's Comp Flat that I would consider restoring period correct but I cant find much info on it. I believe that I am the 3rd, maybe 4th owner, but its never been back in the water after it was no longer a race boat. So, if I can get it there, Id be the 2nd owner to drive it, kinda cool!!!

Another cool boat would be Eddie Hills Texan Hydro.

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
For some the answer will be different because of age. Id have to say that the 80's dragboats would be what I would want to have, but they don't have the historical presance like the Merc did. Boats like Dago Red are still around, I think that's one that set some trends. The early rollcaged fuelers would be awesome to have around too, Madness and Hillbilly. You're right about the Panic Mouse boat, that was awesome to see come back to life! That one for me though I really didnt know about because I wasnt even a thought when it was current.

I ended up with an 80's Comp Flat that I would consider restoring period correct but I cant find much info on it. I believe that I am the 3rd, maybe 4th owner, but its never been back in the water after it was no longer a race boat. So, if I can get it there, Id be the 2nd owner to drive it, kinda cool!!!

At one time it (or one of them, no idea if he had more than one) was hanging on display at his cycle/atv dealership in Wichita Falls. Another board I'm on had a get-together/fundraiser there several years ago. Proud Mary was there with a boat as well. Website went down awhile back and bunch of pictures from that deal were lost. :confused:

Found this on the web though, looks like it's still there
EddieHillTopFuel229mphBoat.jpg

Boat that Hill drove to 229 miles per hour, on display at Eddie Hill's Fun Cycles

sintax

Reaction score
Panic Mouse is what came to my mind before I clicked the thread.

Clank123

Reaction score

Oh I absolutely get where you are
comin from. A lot of cool innovations in the 80’s.
I just think it would be great to have more of OG boats around from the early days. But that’s just me.
Dago Red was fast in those days.
It would be really cool to get it back in race trim. It would be as cool today as it was back in the day.
Thanks Devilman…totally forgot about the Proud Mary restoration! And we’ve known her for years!
Also yes. The Texan is still on the wall at Mr. Hill’s dealership.
What a piece of history.

Travmon

Reaction score
One of the problems with boats versus cars I think boats just got so used up or destroyed that there wasnt much to restore. Also boats in general never got big media following. Everyone can relate to cars because everyone has at least one, whereas many people will live there life never being on a boat ( thank god ) .

sintax

Reaction score
One of the problems with boats versus cars I think boats just got so used up or destroyed that there wasnt much to restore. Also boats in general never got big media following. Everyone can relate to cars because everyone has at least one, whereas many people will live there life never being on a boat ( thank god ) .

That and cars tend to fare much better parked outside, where as boats… rot at lightening speed.

timstoy

Reaction score
At one time it (or one of them, no idea if he had more than one) was hanging on display at his cycle/atv dealership in Wichita Falls. Another board I'm on had a get-together/fundraiser there several years ago. Proud Mary was there with a boat as well. Website went down awhile back and bunch of pictures from that deal were lost. :confused:

Found this on the web though, looks like it's still there
View attachment 1081290
Boat that Hill drove to 229 miles per hour, on display at Eddie Hill's Fun Cycles
Eddie and Erci Hill, drag cars, drag boats, and motorcycles they did it all!

TimeBandit

Reaction score
The most "custom" boat I ever lusted after was built by a guy who had a small Upholstery shop on Ventura/Fallbrook in Woodland Hills.

It was on display at the L.A. boat show at least once.

He put the top of a convertable car on the boat, windshield, power top, power windows, Air Conditioning... not the fastest perhaps, but full custom.

I wish I had a picture, I'm sure some here have seen it.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Oh I absolutely get where you are
comin from. A lot of cool innovations in the 80’s.
I just think it would be great to have more of OG boats around from the early days. But that’s just me.
Dago Red was fast in those days.
It would be really cool to get it back in race trim. It would be as cool today as it was back in the day.
Thanks Devilman…totally forgot about the Proud Mary restoration! And we’ve known her for years!
Also yes. The Texan is still on the wall at Mr. Hill’s dealership.
What a piece of history.

You know, I got to thinking after a posted that and realized something. It's said that my boat was owned by a guy from down in the Carlsbad area.

Little read here if you have time

Clank123

Reaction score
You know, I got to thinking after a posted that and realized something. It's said that my boat was owned by a guy from down in the Carlsbad area.

Little read here if you have time

Wow. Fantastic. The original owner was south of me in Carlsbad closer to San Diego.
Where are you at on the restoration?
Anything I can ever do to help let me know!
My dad drove a Hondo/Landy Dodge in 1975. He ran 132 in it.
It was definitely a great combination!
E37F9A02-A8A1-442F-9054-30D0AA634970.jpeg

707dog

Reaction score
I was thinking that twin v12 i think its called Russian roulette??

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Wow. Fantastic. The original owner was south of me in Carlsbad closer to San Diego.
Where are you at on the restoration?
Anything I can ever do to help let me know!
My dad drove a Hondo/Landy Dodge in 1975. He ran 132 in it.
It was definitely a great combination!
View attachment 1081338

It's on hold due to family circumstances. It's paid for and I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do. Boat really needs rails and motor plates, wiring and plumbing. Sounds simple lol

I would love to find more pics of it as it was originally put together. I've searched for Craig to contact him but have come up empty handed. I'd love to know who originally painted it. Tracking down an original scoop would be a bonus too

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Danny Bell spent cubic dollars and hours to restore Birds Eye View and didn't get squat for it.

Just seems like restored boats don't draw the value like cars do.

Anything from Raysoncraft or Cole will always be Way cool to me. 👍🏼

Clank123

Reaction score
Hot Damn Hondo!!!
Yeah but which one.
The original is still around as of 10 years ago…
789C7F5E-F53D-403F-A725-55BCCE565379.jpeg

The T deck, at least one of them was in a shop a few years ago.

8DF19D48-5D81-443A-9A2F-A607BB75B6A5.jpeg
3A55D28B-5E3E-4252-B07E-6BB9DC113623.jpeg

And which engine, the Landy Dodge or the Dan Olson Fueler.
If I remember right, they built a new HDH shortly after they went to Blown Fuel.
7B01D540-9DD6-4A2C-92D0-89D32BB6A727.jpeg
F94CC6E0-FCB3-419B-B047-86824D243CE2.jpeg

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
How about Hurry 'Round Hondo?

Dan'l
Embarrassed a few K boats in its day. Would be a great one to restore if it could be found.
View attachment 1081412
About 6 or 7 years back I got a call from HHR original " new" owner Rick Lee saying he bought HHR back from the current owner in Florida , He asked if we would build a Jacuzzi Jet for it , I jumped at the chance , the next AM He called again and ask me to meet him at the Paso airport in a couple hours , He flew that AM from socal ,The roar of his twin engine turbo prop could be heard from miles away , after he landed He dropped the jet out of the cargo bay loaded it on a furniture dolly and wheeled it off the tarmac to my truck and promptly flew off after refueling . I worked a bit with His engine builder on a Blown BBC to replace the current tired motor , when the jet was complete he flew back and spent some time at the shop . I remember him remarking about my Centurion pickle , The next year He ran/showed the boat at Bass lake . For those that dont know of him he was involved with Hondo, Brendella, Centurion (currently)

Attachments

• hurry round hondo 1.jpg
    hurry round hondo 1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 19