WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ice machine for Hip recovery ?

jetboatperformance

Reaction score

jetboatperformance

Reaction score

530RL

Reaction score
I had knee replacement 10 months ago. I rented one under insurance then bought one. Still use it after work outs today.

I’d definitely buy one. Best investment I made for knee replacement.

Wife now uses it after shoulder surgery.

The ice machine is generic. The difference is the wrap which plugs into the water lines.

TrollerDave

Reaction score

boat527

Reaction score
My son had reconstruction surgery on both hips when he was 15.

He had this hip gizmo that wrapped around his hip. The tubes ran off to a small Gatorade type cooler full of ice water. The hand pump would recirculate the water back to the cooler and into the wrap. Worked pretty cool. I had never seen one before.
20220117_183458.jpg

wings_of_eagles

Reaction score
@jetboatperformance
I used the Donjoy Iceman Classic for ACL, 2 knee replacements, works great and keeps the pad cold. I have a donjoy iceman 3 also but does seem to get as cold.
The Iceman classic can hold 6 frozen 16oz water bottles. I would use a rotation of 6 sets of 6 bottles so I would have iced bottles around the clock. each set last about 4-5 hours. I kept it on 24/7.
here is the link, select 'choose pad' for which hip you are doing.

Good luck!

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Wife has been using one for her hip replacements. Friend that had knee replacement let her use it. 4 of the 16OZ plastic water bottles fit perfect in it so one doesn't have to screw with ice. They last a long time also. We keep 3 sets in the freezer at all times. No straps on this one but I fanagled a way to keep it in place most of the time. Best thing for hip replacement is walk, walk, walk and then walk some more.

rrrr

Reaction score
12!? 😳
Please tell me you’re out of pain and can leap tall buildings in a single bound.
I've had 21 (I think), first one was in 1974 when I was a junior in high school. Back then there was no such thing as arthroscopy and cartilage regeneration. Both knees were scraped, drilled, and all sorts of other indignities over the years, and finally replaced. Then both of them had to be done again because of infection.

The first time they opened me up with a 7" long incision and removed the torn cartilage. It had me almost screaming in pain, and I was hospitalized for 10 days. Since then there have been so many I lost track of the count.

If I'm ever confronted by a charging grizzly bear, I'm fucked.

😁

Now it's walk in, walk out after 2½ hours and Tylenol to recover.

Moabifam5

Reaction score
I'm 5 weeks out on replacement, Hospital gave me a wrap around ice pak with insert gel packs. Came with two velcro straps. Worked perfectly. good luck. As I posted before, surgery was peice of cake.

Moabifam5

Reaction score
Good luck on the surgery. PM me if you have any questions..

snowboat

Reaction score
I'm 5 weeks out on replacement, Hospital gave me a wrap around ice pak with insert gel packs. Came with two velcro straps. Worked perfectly. good luck. As I posted before, surgery was peice of cake.
Did you have posterior, anterior or Superpath, please?

instagator

Reaction score
At 60 years old I had both replaced at the same time, Anterior, Walked 1 day later with a walker. 10 days later, no walker and never needed to ice during the healing.Needed pain meds for the first 3-days and that was it.....Good luck !

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
At 60 years old I had both replaced at the same time, Anterior, Walked 1 day later with a walker. 10 days later, no walker and never needed to ice during the healing.Needed pain meds for the first 3-days and that was it.....Good luck !
I called today to be better informed for mine , Nurse said it will be Anterior , lots of good "pros/cons" info on a google search ,anterior seems to have shorter recovery and less muscle cutting (if any)

instagator

Reaction score
I did have ice packs for a few days, I forgot . Anterior, barely any restrictions after surgery. I was scared and put it off for years. Its really not that bad and i should have done it sooner. Anterior requires a special table Dr Matta invented, It pulls one hip back and spreads you out. Your junk is out there with the surgeon, I drew a happy face on mine. I did no therapy , best exercise,Shopping cart pushing around the store , walking.....

SOD

Reaction score
My exact experience, but I was 50. Really a piece of cake considering the surgery.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Well lots of solid input folks Thank You ! , Im three weeks out for my hip , My post knee replacement recovery was less than two weeks , I left the hospital and came home 7 hrs after , was back in my home office the following afternoon (but tired) I have great expectations for my hip The pain from the hip has been brutal , looking forward to relief OH LOL then I look forward to my other Knee (medial side is bone on bone)

Joker

Reaction score
Well lots of solid input folks Thank You ! , Im three weeks out for my hip , My post knee replacement recovery was less than two weeks , I left the hospital and came home 7 hrs after , was back in my home office the following afternoon (but tired) I have great expectations for my hip The pain from the hip has been brutal , looking forward to relief OH LOL then I look forward to my other Knee (medial side is bone on bone)
Curious how this went. I'm scheduling tomorrow.

Joker

Reaction score
My Hip was an amazing expirience , quick and simple "outpatient" in at 9:30 went home at 4:30 (walking) The anterior method rocks !
Good to hear. What’s your expected downtime for let’s say golf, boating and normal work activities?

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Good to hear. What’s your expected downtime for let’s say golf, boating and normal work activities?
Honestly I was walking the day , had a modicum of Home PT (visiting PT nurse) , walker down my driveway (900 feet) by 7 days , ditched the walker and was back at work in less that two weeks , Pain relief (from the 6 months of chronic ache) was awesome , The incision was closed with super glue and was itchy, never used the ice machine. They had said 6 to 8 weeks for recovery I proved them wrong ;) A Doc told me a long time ago "self employed people get well fast" :)

The method/machine used was called "Hanna" , its a crazy machine that allows for infinite measurements and accuracy , the anterior method cuts less muscle and tissue , the only regret I had was not doing it sooner ,,,, BTW I will not be tubed , got the "Michael Jackson" Propofol sleep and a spinal ....

: EDIT As for activity pretty much normal, honestly dont even think much about it now , Next is my right knee...

Attachments

• Resized_20220218_131353_5672.jpeg
    Resized_20220218_131353_5672.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 19

Joker

Reaction score
Honestly I was walking the day , had a modicum of Home PT (visiting PT nurse) , walker down my driveway (900 feet) by 7 days , ditched the walker and was back at work in less that two weeks , Pain relief (from the 6 months of chronic ache) was awesome , The incision was closed with super glue and was itchy, never used the ice machine. They had said 6 to 8 weeks for recovery I proved them wrong ;) A Doc told me a long time ago "self employed people get well fast" :)

The method/machine used was called "Hanna" , its a crazy machine that allows for infinite measurements and accuracy , the anterior method cuts less muscle and tissue , the only regret I had was not doing it sooner ,,,, BTW I will not be tubed , got the "Michael Jackson" Propofol sleep and a spinal ....

: EDIT As for activity pretty much normal, honestly dont even think much about it now , Next is my right knee...
The doctor i just saw doesn’t do anterior. He basically told me I’m at level 4 of 4 and to live with it longer if possible.
Couple of drawbacks is he said no more hauling bags of concrete or climbing ladders with the new one. That limits income at that point but i don’t think i can deal with this pain for 2 more years. Where did you get yours done at? I’ll read more about the methods in the meantime
67CAAA7E-365B-4702-BB87-1BD87C72BE05.jpeg