WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RV Park Recommendation - Rapid City Area

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone have a recommendation for an RV park in the Rapid City, SD area? We would like to hit Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis and the Badlands so really anything in those areas would be great. We will be towing our Traverse and day tripping from the mohonso I figure everything is within a couple hours of Rapid City...but always open to suggestions for other areas, as well.

Thanks in advance!

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Following... we are in the early stages of planning a trip to Rushmore in June of ‘23.

hallettheck

Reaction score
We had good luck at the DAYS END campground in Sturgis right off the interstate

X Hoser

Reaction score
We stayed in Keystone. Mt Rushmore Inn and RV or something like that. Could see Mt Rushmore from the park. Very small, actually kind of run down but close to everything. Downtown Keystone is very touristy but easy walk from the campground. Easy walk to restaurants. Mt Rushmore 5 minutes, Cherokee 15 minutes. Very inexpensive RV Park. If you can get a spot up next to the lodge that backs up to the creek, they are nice sized pull throughs. The others are very tight! When I say tight, I mean you can’t put you waning out without interfering with the RV next to you! There are other RV parks between Mt Rushmore and Cherokee that look nice but I don’t know anything about them. I think one was a KOA? Beautiful country!

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone have a recommendation for an RV park in the Rapid City, SD area? We would like to hit Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis and the Badlands so really anything in those areas would be great. We will be towing our Traverse and day tripping from the mohonso I figure everything is within a couple hours of Rapid City...but always open to suggestions for other areas, as well.

Thanks in advance!
Custer State Park, or try Spearfish it is closer than Rapid City and more quaint, a full amenity town.

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Correction, Custer is closer than Rapid City, Spearfish is not but the drive is scenic.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Correction, Custer is closer than Rapid City, Spearfish is not but the drive is scenic.
Spearfish is a nice drive thru the Black Hills for sure.

I probably would poke around the Keystone area if I was you (OP)

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
There’s a park right at Devils Tower, close to everything you’re talking about

evantwheeler

Reaction score
There’s a park right at Devils Tower, close to everything you’re talking about
@Ducksquasher I would camp closer to Rapid City, spearfish, deadwood, etc. and day trip to Devil's tower. If you setup base near devils tower, you're much further away from the other stuff you want to see than if you did the opposite. I didn't do an RV park, but I stayed in Keystone last October and did most of what is on your list. I did the Badlands driving into the area from the East, went and saw Rushmore that night and again in the AM and sunrise (I recommend both), saw Crazy Horse, did the mine welcome center in Lead, lunch in Deadwood - you have to stop and get a few Kings Pasties at the Sinclair on Broadway St. between Lead and Deadwood (not the kind of pasties we see in the channel at havasu), and I went and saw Devils Tower on my way out of town. I wish I had more time but was on a deadline for a memorial service in Idaho. That area is so awesome, I wish I could spend a couple months out there exploring, it is breathtakingly beautiful country.

Badlands:

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

Rushmore:

IMG_0287.JPG

Lead Mine Open Pit:

IMG_0312.JPG

Kings Pastie - Sausage and Sauerkraut was the bomb!:

IMG_0314.JPG

Devils Tower:

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

Last edited:

Havafewinsider

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks in advance!
Mt Rushmore KOA at Palmer Gulch. Took my family during COVID had a great time. Close to the monument and crazy horse. Good jump off point for day tripping. Go to the monument at night when they do a lighting/vetrerans ceremony. Don't waste your money on the crazy horse laser show but definitely go to the museum.

67 baron sprint LD 390 FE

Reaction score
Rafter j bar in hill city , one of the nicest rv parks we have stayed at , close to mt Rushmore , we went last year . This year we are going to glacier national park and to spearfish sd

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Days End in Sturgis is a great park, right off the 90 fwy iirc, it's on the exit for the road that takes you to deadwood and spearfish canyon, both are places.you want to check out along with the needles highway and pigtail road down by Rushmore.

Dettom

Reaction score
It’s about 40 minutes from Rapid City, in Spearfish, and it’s called Chris’ Campground. We’ve stayed there several times and it’s very nice, convenient and away from the big city traffic of Rapid. Another great place is City Park in Spearfish. It’s very nice, shady with a stream and a trout hatchery. Look into it. It’s owned by the city and is a hidden gem also very large. We only go to Taoid when we have to as it gets very hot there.