WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2022 Recession Recipes…..

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Come on help the RDP brothers and their families out. You know this the recession is inevitable and going to happen. Just look at all the threads that have been started. This is a thread to include low cost food to feed your family when the SHTF…..

Our families tuna caserole that got my parents out of poverty in the 70s when they pumped out a few too many kids than they could afford. Kind of ironic that it is a tuna casserole huh???

EDCD439F-0190-485C-B1D5-5B4AE24B30A0.jpeg

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Come on help the RDP brothers and their families out. You know this the recession is inevitable and going to happen. Just look at all the threads that have been started. This is a thread to include low cost food to feed your family when the SHTF…..

Our families tuna caserole that got my parents out of poverty in the 70s when they pumped out a few too many kids than they could afford. Kind of ironic that it is a tuna casserole huh???

View attachment 1114385
So… what’s the recipe? Lol!

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
I like tuna casserole, but haven’t you heard there’s a pasta shortage. 😱
Crap!!! Really??? Just threw out a bunch of egg noodles. Hold on while I dig them out of the trash!!!

Please watch this while I am out in the trash pile…

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Crap!!! Really??? Just threw out a bunch of egg noodles. Hold on while I dig them out of the trash!!!
I think it’s getting a little better but no shit at least in Havasu I was having trouble getting large elbow macaroni and angel hair spaghetti. Covid cleared the shelves.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Ok here we go……

1 bag of large egg noodles
2 cans of cream of mushroom Cambell soup
3 cans (because the fuckers are getting small) tuna from Costco
1lbs of sharp cheddar cheese.
one large back of ruffles potato chips
one large tub of sour cream and ranch dip mix

Set oven at 350 degrees

Mix large tub of sour cream and ranch dip and place back into fridge.

Take egg noodles and put into boiling hot water. use only 3/4 if you are Dryheat and worried about a pasta shortage.

While pasta is cooking take one can of cream of mushroom and mix with 1.5 cans of tuna.

Grate cheese unless you are my wife and cheese only is found in the granted variety.

Once Noodles are cooked drain them in a calendar. Yes calendar. It is that time of year after all.

Grease casserole dish what ever size you like.

pour 1/2 of the 3/4 bag if you are a pasta shortage guido worrier like Dryheat.

layer soup/tuna mix on top

Half the cheese.

Remainder of noodles.

Second can of soup and 1.5 cans of tuna

rest of Cheese

Then take a handful of chips and crush them and sprinkle on the top of the last layer of cheese.

Place dish in preheated oven. Cook for 20 minutes. Then turn up the heat to 450 until chips are brown.

While dish is in oven grab remaining chips and dip and munch with beer until you can tolerate your family.

Once dish is toasted pull out and let sit for 15 minutes. The fucker is hot after all.

Dish it out and let the family enjoy. You will have to wait for left overs since you will be full on chips and dip.

I will post up tomorrow as to how to properly reheat the leftovers. It will be just as good as today if not better.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Home made Mac and cheese with hotdogs is one of my favorites. One of the many meals I invented as a kid 👍

Well let’s hear it!!!!!!

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
What size chicken of the sea cans? I have plenty of those. Lol

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
What size chicken of the sea cans? I have plenty of those. Lol

5 oz Albacore for now until the hard times hit!!!! Then it is the chicken of the sea in oil if that is all that is available. But we have been stocling up on both sides of the pacific.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Most of them involve hotdogs as the main ingredient lol

Sounds like Greg was the “head” chef who made up the recipe. :looking:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't have pics of anything...but a lot of things to stretch what you have, or cook with what you have.

Grated potatoes, pat dry, salt and onion powder, cook in waffle iron (or George Foreman)..............hash brown stuff, good in burritos too
Bullion cube or powder, water, whatever meat in small cubes, canned corn and/peas, potatoes................"Pig Slop"...add some corn starch and thicken into stew
Canned salmon, mix with bread crumbs, flatten golf ball size rounds on a saucer, fry in pan.....................really good with Saltines if no bread available
Couple of eggs scrambled with a can refried beans....................................................................................bland, but hits like lead!
stale, leftover corn tortillas cut into small squares or thin strips, scrambled with eggs................................this and Tapatio or salsa

This stuff isn't real healthy, but canned stuff around the house or not wanting to waste stuff, it's great. pretty high carb and starch contents though, so not great for diabetics I'm sure. Cheap calories to keep you going though.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Definitely going to try this, thanks lol

I keep plenty of spam and tuna on hand lol. Along with at least 50 pounds of rice.

Spam…..rice……MUSUBI time!!!!!! Just add a little teriyaki sauce for this just like 7-11.….broke da mouth!!!!

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
So the wife likes to just cut up the leftovers and throw it into the microwave. But the chips on top get soft and saggy. 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

I can’t have that so I grab a piece of tin foil and create a little single serving sized leftover. I fold up the large sheet to fit the size of leftover I want and then throw it into the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes. 👍

3415C780-5222-4602-B24C-A95EA6F353A1.jpeg
B5A07C25-A947-480D-8723-B0B49C0F0257.jpeg
4770E2B3-03BF-4802-8D42-7ADF1CB058C9.jpeg
BDF2C731-A35A-42AB-9A53-0A9901DBC2D5.jpeg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I would lose a few pounds if I had to eat tuna casserole. Nothing against yours, just in casseroles in general

I’ll just eat fried spam.

badgas

Reaction score

View attachment 1114385
Thanks Tim !

Love it ! a possitive recession post.

The chips on top sound really good.

My Mom has made a tuna casserole since I was a kid that has slivered almond on top.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Pasta lasts a long ass time. Mac n Cheese with pre fried Spam chunks. Good living.

Scalloped potatoes with ham chunks. Lots of Dubliner Cheddar shredded into the layers (if you can afford it, LOL ).

boatnam2

Reaction score
Only real inflation beater still is top Ramen, maybe a splash of soy sauce and an egg if you got some extra cash or a chicken. Hell even a nice Spam steak freshly sliced out of can is the price of a ribeye from a few years ago.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Pasta lasts a long ass time. Mac n Cheese with pre fried Spam chunks. Good living.

Scalloped potatoes with ham chunks. Lots of Dubliner Cheddar shredded into the layers (if you can afford it, LOL ).
Scalloped potatoes and ham chunks is for you wealthy folks😝😂 us pour folks have sliced hotdogs and scalloped potatoes.😂 or cream of potato soup and pretend it’s clam chowder.😊

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Ok here we go……

1 bag of large egg noodles
2 cans of cream of mushroom Cambell soup
3 cans (because the fuckers are getting small) tuna from Costco
1lbs of sharp cheddar cheese.
one large back of ruffles potato chips
one large tub of sour cream and ranch dip mix

Set oven at 350 degrees

Mix large tub of sour cream and ranch dip and place back into fridge.

Take egg noodles and put into boiling hot water. use only 3/4 if you are Dryheat and worried about a pasta shortage.

While pasta is cooking take one can of cream of mushroom and mix with 1.5 cans of tuna.

Grate cheese unless you are my wife and cheese only is found in the granted variety.

Once Noodles are cooked drain them in a calendar. Yes calendar. It is that time of year after all.

Grease casserole dish what ever size you like.

pour 1/2 of the 3/4 bag if you are a pasta shortage guido worrier like Dryheat.

layer soup/tuna mix on top

Half the cheese.

Remainder of noodles.

Second can of soup and 1.5 cans of tuna

rest of Cheese

Then take a handful of chips and crush them and sprinkle on the top of the last layer of cheese.

Place dish in preheated oven. Cook for 20 minutes. Then turn up the heat to 450 until chips are brown.

While dish is in oven grab remaining chips and dip and munch with beer until you can tolerate your family.

Once dish is toasted pull out and let sit for 15 minutes. The fucker is hot after all.

Dish it out and let the family enjoy. You will have to wait for left overs since you will be full on chips and dip.

I will post up tomorrow as to how to properly reheat the leftovers. It will be just as good as today if not better.
Thanks!
This is MONEY . . . I'm sooooo on it !!!

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
Tuna last week…..sashimi, canned and 80 lbs of chunks in the freezer.

Attachments

• 242C87B5-8F1F-4B98-8958-415A99510392.jpeg
    242C87B5-8F1F-4B98-8958-415A99510392.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 6F9CCC6C-D49A-49E0-81B3-4583DF501792.jpeg
    6F9CCC6C-D49A-49E0-81B3-4583DF501792.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 591FB40A-6F58-4CE5-8383-3BEEC6D77F73.jpeg
    591FB40A-6F58-4CE5-8383-3BEEC6D77F73.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 15
  • 2FF486A0-5D5E-4AF9-8028-4E0ADD6944F1.jpeg
    2FF486A0-5D5E-4AF9-8028-4E0ADD6944F1.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 1DFAF5C5-1FD4-432A-8BB4-19C819858188.jpeg
    1DFAF5C5-1FD4-432A-8BB4-19C819858188.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 24

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Home made Mac and cheese with hotdogs is one of my favorites. One of the many meals I invented as a kid 👍

I think we all invented that as a kid! But I fried my hotdogs first before I sliced them up and threw the in the mac

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Hamburger Helper and Tuna Helper were probably 90% of meals once I left the nest until I moved in with my wife. I use to pick up packages at Biglots. MMMM so tasty, but I bet I'd put on some serious LBs if I tried that these days.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Tuna last week…..sashimi, canned and 80 lbs of chunks in the freezer.
Wait……that is cheating!!! That looks so tasty. Just had some the other night at dinner. 😛😛😛😛😛😛

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Last edited:

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score

View attachment 1114385

Love Tuna casserole!! We alway have fresh canned tuna in the house!

Have about 12 of these
20220511_155807.jpg

And another 20 or so of these
20220511_155847.jpg

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
I've led a relatively sheltered life...what is sashimi?

This is sashimi.
20180503_131225.jpg

Made right off the boat from this!
20180503_100457.jpg

I dont eat sushi, shits gross! And I dont eat "raw" fish. But, they did that little tuna for us 3 ways, cajun blackened, garlic fried and sashimi. The wife wanted the sashimi, and I will admit, I'd eat that again(against my better judgment) it was awesome! All done up for $25

20180503_132417.jpg
20180503_132422.jpg

CABO IS GREAT!!

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score

View attachment 1114385

Here I though I was the only one that put potato chips on tuna casserole🤣🤣 shit looks legit!!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Seeing the "cajun/blackened"...
Poor people tip #1.............................Have spices on hand!
If you know the only meat you have is freezer burnt, you can save it.
Also works with the meats you don't eat often, snake, rabbit, elk....neighbor's pet...turn whatever it is into tacos or make a gumbo with some rice.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Seeing the "cajun/blackened"...
Poor people tip #1.............................Have spices on hand!
If you know the only meat you have is freezer burnt, you can save it.
Also works with the meats you don't eat often, snake, rabbit, elk....neighbor's pet...turn whatever it is into tacos or make a gumbo with some rice.

I also have about 20lbs of elk burger in the freezer.. we get from a client of the wife in trade. They own "wetlands" and get a few "nucence" tags durning the year.

and just applied for an Elk tag today in my "home town" where I grew up. $58 and I will at least get a cow(elk) tag. That will put a couple hundred pounds of meat in the freezer. Because meat prices at the store are getting outrageous; and that if they have any..

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
We get as many as five meals (two of us) out of a $4.99 Costco Chicken. Chicken Alfredo, roast chicken and stove top stuffing, chicken flautas or tacos, chicken sandwiches, chicken salad etc. I feel like Bubba describing shrimp recipes...

fmo24

Reaction score
We get as many as five meals (two of us) out of a $4.99 Costco Chicken. Chicken Alfredo, roast chicken and stove top stuffing, chicken flautas or tacos, chicken sandwiches, chicken salad etc. I feel like Bubba describing shrimp recipes...
We buy the package of shredddd rotisserie chicken at Costco. I divide in thirds and freeze. Good for enchiladas, chicken and dumplings or even chicken salad sandwiches

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
My family go to for this is hamburger gravy on rice. Fairly simple, fry up about a pound of burger in crumbles, season however you like. I treat mine kind of like you would season a steak. If you are using cheap burger there is plenty of drippings if good meat, add a pat of butter. You need this to make the gravy. A little corn starch and flour + milk and you have a gravy with the burger. Serve on top of rice.
Simple, filling, only two pans, and you can add other things like peas or something to balance the meal. I prefer my others on the side though.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
My family go to for this is hamburger gravy on rice. Fairly simple, fry up about a pound of burger in crumbles, season however you like. I treat mine kind of like you would season a steak. If you are using cheap burger there is plenty of drippings if good meat, add a pat of butter. You need this to make the gravy. A little corn starch and flour + milk and you have a gravy with the burger. Serve on top of rice.
Simple, filling, only two pans, and you can add other things like peas or something to balance the meal. I prefer my others on the side though.

Oh that sounds good. Kind of like a hammer steak plate lunch in the islands. Going to have to try this. And the butter add is a great idea. 👍

Tank

Reaction score

View attachment 1114385
It’s about to get real in here!!!

Followed your recipe. Easy peasy. See how it measures up to what I remember grandma and mom making growing up.

DC61A6C2-2633-476F-BFFE-D67AE141B74B.jpeg
637083B3-A7F4-42F7-A85E-D8F757AD939C.jpeg

badgas

Reaction score
Money saving tip

Yesterday I stopped to get a snack and rather than a drive through I went to Smart and Final and picked up a fuji apple and a banana.

It was .59 cents

Yes .59 cents for 1 apple and 1 banana

I know it's not as good as a fast food burger and fries that would $10.00+ but it's 20x healthier and when people are complaining about food cost this is an actual alternative to starving.

badgas

Reaction score
We used make a meal in college we called " Broccoli Damn Good "

Just toss broccoli into the rice cooker 1/2 way through the rice cook time and boom you would have steemed rice and broccoli. Serve with Terriyaki and hot sauce.

* this is a good one if you are too broke to buy chicken, steak, eggs etc.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
It’s about to get real in here!!!

Followed your recipe. Easy peasy. See how it measures up to what I remember grandma and mom making growing up.

View attachment 1116602 View attachment 1116603

One thing that I don’t think that I noted in the past. My mother used to make it with 1/2 of the soup/tuna. It was really dry but she was trying to stretch the $$$$ after the parents were divorced. Funny thing is I invited her over one night for our casserole and she will even admit that our version is certainly better. I hope that your family enjoys the meal. 👍