WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2022 Recession Recipes…..

BajaT

Reaction score
1652748353175.png

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Raw fish. Not to be confused with Sushi which is a variety of items wrapped in with rice. Many times mainlanders will call sashimi sushi bit that is wrong.

Years ago when I was a deck hand on So Cal sportfishing boats, we carried a lot of Japanese American passengers. The food they brought with them was amazing. They always wanted to share their lunches with us crew members. We're talking unbelievable home made Sushi and everything else you could think of. Their wives made some good stuff. But, the great stuff was made by their grandmothers. I was always amazed to see these guys with a big cheese burger they'd purchased in our galley. Believe they liked those burgers as much as we did their home made Sushi. On our Tuna trips we had fresh Sashimi. We're talking select slices made right at the cleaning board. There is a difference in how it's sliced and from which portion of the fish. These guys knew just how to do it and were anxious to pass on their talents to us. Good times, Good people. Great food.

Tank

Reaction score
One thing that I don’t think that I noted in the past. My mother used to make it with 1/2 of the soup/tuna. It was really dry but she was trying to stretch the $$$$ after the parents were divorced. Funny thing is I invited her over one night for our casserole and she will even admit that our version is certainly better. I hope that your family enjoys the meal. 👍
Success!

It was as I recall it growing up. Wife and boys enjoyed it and said they want it again. 😁👍 it instantly reminded me of being a kid.

18258DE3-9C5D-46CD-B2AC-6B8EBE17124A.jpeg

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Some call this "the Bible". When it comes to down home, mostly good food. And experience has shown me it's not limited to any one
race.
IMG_1122.jpg

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
For a side for the tuna-noodle you have to have a pan of corn bread or cup cake size corn muffins and stick of butter. They go hand in hand.;)

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Our Mom used to make a dish she called "More". Simple, 1 lb ground chuck with onions fried. 1 can Franco American Spaghetti (doesn't even exist now days - It's become Campbells Canned Spaghetti), I can sweet peas and ample chunks of Velvetta Cheese. Placed in the oven until the cheese melts through. Our Mom would serve us, then stand back and wait for us to say, “More” please. I never disappointed her.

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
I was a fan of straight up white bread and American cheese grilled cheese sandwiches.

Also cut up hotdogs in Mac and cheese
Or ground beef in Mac and cheese. WT staples!!

500bbc

Reaction score
Two words...
Tuna Enchaladas, preferably in a green sauce.

Icky

Reaction score
I think we all invented that as a kid! But I fried my hotdogs first before I sliced them up and threw the in the mac
Sliced them up,threw in pan to cook them, then throw the dogs and grease in the mac and cheese and mix 😍

badgas

Reaction score

These have probably taken an uptick with inflation but still very budget friendly meals.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Fukkkk, my mother grew up with depression era parents. She knew how to feed us cheap. Her parents were born in 1898 and 1902 respectively. They owned a gas station during the depression so did better than most. In Los Altos Ca. I remember the story that grandma bought their first house for $500 and a cow. LOL

One thing my mother would make would be Hamburger Biscuit Bake. I think it was a recipe on the side of the Bisquick box. Basically it was biscuits, with an occasional tiny vein of ground beef. Along with some veins of mustard and relish.

I hated those dinners. One time she made SOS. This was chipped beef on toast, or in the army they called it Shit on a Shingle. My dad put his foot down. He was a WW2 vet and to him that was shitty food even for the army. He was a quiet man and didn't tend to argue with mom. But for this....he did. We never had SOS again.

I remember butterfly slicing hot dogs, so when you fried them you got more of the seared surfaces. Plus once you sliced em the long way and opened them up they would fit onto regular bread way better.

I remember liver and onions a few times too. If you add bacon it becomes pretty good. Lots of onions, lightly floured the liver slices and added some lemon juice. But I have only made that meal once in my life.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Rite Aid has a $1.00 aisle. You can find small boxes of cereal and eat a few breakfasts for a buck. They have cans of sardines, smoked oysters, candy, rice krispy treats, meat sticks, and all kinds of European cookies, and surprisingly large packs of very dry fig newtons. LOL

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Fukkkk, my mother grew up with depression era parents. She knew how to feed us cheap. Her parents were born in 1898 and 1902 respectively. They owned a gas station during the depression so did better than most. In Los Altos Ca. I remember the story that grandma bought their first house for $500 and a cow. LOL

One thing my mother would make would be Hamburger Biscuit Bake. I think it was a recipe on the side of the Bisquick box. Basically it was biscuits, with an occasional tiny vein of ground beef. Along with some veins of mustard and relish.

I hated those dinners. One time she made SOS. This was chipped beef on toast, or in the army they called it Shit on a Shingle. My dad put his foot down. He was a WW2 vet and to him that was shitty food even for the army. He was a quiet man and didn't tend to argue with mom. But for this....he did. We never had SOS again.

I remember butterfly slicing hot dogs, so when you fried them you got more of the seared surfaces. Plus once you sliced em the long way and opened them up they would fit onto regular bread way better.

I remember liver and onions a few times too. If you add bacon it becomes pretty good. Lots of onions, lightly floured the liver slices and added some lemon juice. But I have only made that meal once in my life.
Had to laugh, Pops liked SOS...but hated meat loaf! His favorite dish at the local greasy spoon was liver and onions.

Ham hock and lime beans anyone? If done right, surprisingly good, and really just recycling what you'd toss.

Cow tongue, also good if done right. If you can't get or afford the normal meat, worth a try.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Had to laugh, Pops liked SOS...but hated meat loaf! His favorite dish at the local greasy spoon was liver and onions.

Ham hock and lime beans anyone? If done right, surprisingly good, and really just recycling what you'd toss.

Cow tongue, also good if done right. If you can't get or afford the normal meat, worth a try.
cow tongue, ive had it in tacos, suprisingly good. now brain or tripe, i draw the line there.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
cow tongue, ive had it in tacos, suprisingly good. now brain or tripe, i draw the line there.
I've eaten at some of the finer vending carts around LA...brain isn't too bad, once you get passed what it is...tripe, yeah, don't like it at all.

3 tacos and a bottle of Coke for 4 bucks?
Was cheap fuel to keep the crew going until beer-30 rolled around. 50 bucks and you were the best slave driver out there! 😂

badgas

Reaction score
I've eaten at some of the finer vending carts around LA...brain isn't too bad, once you get passed what it is
Ugh

I had it once way back when king taco used to serve "sesos" tacos. To me it was like gamey grey scrabled eggs.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I love Lengua tacos. When I was a kid, in the 60s, my mom made tongue roasts. Loved it then, love it now. Tongue may be the tastiest and most tender cut of beef, and I just had a prime short rib steak.