WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tow Boating Services Which One?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
We are looking to get towing service for our boat. Most of our boating will be on Havasu but will travel once a year hopefully. I doubt that we will be in th e ocean at this point.

We are looking at SeaTow OR Tow Boat US. Pricing is about the same. What does RDP members think?

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I have Towboat bundled through my insurance. knock on wood, ive never had to call them.

Riverryder

Reaction score
tow boat for sure for havasu! have only seen them ever on the water.
theres one parked at the marina i launch out of. he even went up past the bridge lastweekend.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
haha no one said SeaTow. Well, they are right at London Bridge and they have responded twice to me quickly. Either will work but speaking from experience Seatow delivered.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Used to be Boats U.S. was somewhat cheaper, and unless you need a broader area or ocean there was no need for SeaTow.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
We are looking to get towing service for our boat. Most of our boating will be on Havasu but will travel once a year hopefully. I doubt that we will be in th e ocean at this point.

We are looking at SeaTow OR Tow Boat US. Pricing is about the same. What does RDP members think?
We have BoatsUS. only used twice in appx 20yrs. both times in Havasu.

outboardrick

Reaction score
I just had my BoatUs subscription come due and ironically had a notice from my insurance carrier (Progressive) with info for a phone app for the tow insurance I have as part of my boat insurance. I'm sure they just sub the tow out to whoever will respond the quickest, so you may just want to double check your insurance plan. I won't be renewing with BoatUs.

Riverryder

Reaction score
I have had Boat US for a while. Has come in handy 3 times. Used it for my Dads Boat once as well. They were cool to use my ac out to tow his boat
if you have a membership and on a boat thats broken down but doesnt have a membership you can use yours. atleast thats what i was told when i asked.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
if you have a membership and on a boat thats broken down but doesnt have a membership you can use yours. atleast thats what i was told when i asked.
this is true. I have Boat US and after 15 years used it 3 time in 18 months. I have been towed from both ends of the lake and river. If you used them enough they gave me the local direct number which works so much better than the 800 number since they know everything about out waterways.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Had to use Boat US once. He was there in less than 30 minutes and saved my anchor stuck on a tree branch.
Even loaded the boat right on the trailer for me
You're also covered for any boat you own, rent, or use
Quarterly magazine too
They had a deal through West Marine for $60 around christmas and I think it's still cheaper to go through their website.
$74 a year

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight on the topic. The wife is looking at the insurance policy at this time. If she feels better we might just get the added serve of one to make her feel better. You know the saying…..Happy wife = Happy life. 👍

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I just had my BoatUs subscription come due and ironically had a notice from my insurance carrier (Progressive) with info for a phone app for the tow insurance I have as part of my boat insurance. I'm sure they just sub the tow out to whoever will respond the quickest, so you may just want to double check your insurance plan. I won't be renewing with BoatUs.
double check that, my father in law did the same thing. when he needed it, he had to pay out of pocket to the tow company and then be reimbursed by the insurance. i have Geico Marine and towboat US or what ever they call it now, 2 different bills yearly, but get a discount on each for having both.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Look into all the services they offer including what they cover on the road. I believe there is a plan that covers towing the boat while on the road, if needed.

Springfield

Reaction score
Have Boat US for years and have never had the need to use it but their boats are popular as seen all over the river and lake.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I know some people carry both BoatUS and SeaTow. It’s so cheap it might give you a couple options depending on where you boat and the circumstances. Just a thought.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
I supplement my Progressive policy with BoatUS. Their premier package covers the trailer and whatever vehicle is in tow to an extent. It provides an incredible peace of mind on the way to the zoo or up to Powell.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Had to use Boat US once. He was there in less than 30 minutes and saved my anchor stuck on a tree branch.
Even loaded the boat right on the trailer for me
You're also covered for any boat you own, rent, or use
Quarterly magazine too
They had a deal through West Marine for $60 around christmas and I think it's still cheaper to go through their website.
$74 a year
For $74 a year that is cheap insurance.

Riverryder

Reaction score
I won't be renewing with BoatUs.

if anyone is trying to go the insurance route. has anyone need a tow truck recently? share with you my 2 recent experiences.

i have the harley/ truck insured thru gieco. needed a tow for both within the last 3 months.
harley incident, call gieco truck will be here in 30 min, 30 mins pass nothing waited 1hr call gieco, will be here in 30 mins,
call the women and tell her to bring the truck and ramp. she arrives with truck and truck finally comes 2.5hours later with nothing to strap the harley correctly, since he was there had him help me loud harley in the bed of truck.

truck incident
leaving town for DS. water pump fails on truck while towing boat.
call gieco instruct them truck and boat will need to be towed. not a problem the lady says.
then i remember what happened with the harley and call my brother to bring me his truck.
wait 1.5hr ( was told 30min)guy shows up and says i didnt know your truck was this big? might need to call another truck. ccsb silverado nothing "big"
he looks at the boat and says what are you going to do with that?
good thing my brother brought the truck as i said to him dont worry its taken care of.

even tho my insurance includes boat towing land or water i rather pay towboat directly to have a policy number with them, all i have to do is call them if needed. not call gieco/aaa and wait for them to find out how to dispatch the correct people or have to pay towboat the 500 on the water and wait for insurance to reimburse me later.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
For $74 a year that is cheap insurance.

You’re telling me. BoatUS ordered a tilt deck semi to pull my entire setup out of Bartlett and drop off in Tempe. Driver said they were billing $1200 for the job.

If anything happens in in-tow I’m calling BoatUS not Progressive.

656CD783-DE8B-43B8-AFD4-CA670F38A4DC.jpeg

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
I have had BoatUS for many years and never needed them until 2 years ago and it seemed every time we went out, we had to get towed back. Skippers were always friendly and got us back on the trailer.

hallett21

Reaction score
Boat US/Tow boat and get the premium membership.

They will tow boat on the trailer and truck if needed. I believe they cover the first 100 miles.

FYI AAA will sometimes reject towing a boat on the trailer. They claim they will only tow an empty trailer.

They also will reimburse a tow in the event they don’t cover an area.

RichL

Reaction score
Been with the BoatUS program since '93. 'Nuff said.

Yoshiro

Reaction score
We broke down during Desert Storm week this year. I have Boat US for the insurance, and it came with TowBoat US coverage included this year luckily. We were not far off from Windsor beach. Made the call and they were there in 45 minutes. Captain was very polite and knew what he was doing. He towed us back to Lake Havasu Marina and put me right on my trailer. No damage or scuffing on the boat. Great experience for us.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight on the topic. The wife is looking at the insurance policy at this time. If she feels better we might just get the added serve of one to make her feel better. You know the saying…..Happy wife = Happy life. 👍
Boat US is often a reimbursement basis if a boatus boat isn’t on the water. I used it 2x on lake Travis for my old cruiser. Was paid back in around 10 days once I sent in the bill.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
seems it'd be cheaper to buy a 10HP kicker motor and keep it under the hatch with a bracket that clamps on the swim step...should get you home about as fast, and you only have to buy it once.

....unless yore an idiot that runs outta fuel, then you best have a paddle.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
seems it'd be cheaper to buy a 10HP kicker motor and keep it under the hatch with a bracket that clamps on the swim step...should get you home about as fast, and you only have to buy it once.

$50-100 a year vs a couple grand. I’ll take the tow insurance

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score

Do you think a motor that small will navigate the currents of the river on some of the bigger boats?