WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

This video is tuff too watch…….. 42’ Freeman on the rocks. Stupid Captain

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
My title says it all……..

The Captain is an idiot!

Btw, the video is at Boca Inlet.

For those of you unaware of what a Freeman is…….. These are the finest fishing catamarans money can buy. The waiting list to buy one is more than 2 years, or you can buy a build slot for 20k from someone that has gotten tired of waiting.

Yldboyz

Reaction score
He's lucky the chop wasn't going off, that boat would of been on the jetty.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
My title says it all……..

The Captain is an idiot!

For those of you unaware of what a Freeman is…….. These are the finest fishing catamarans money can buy. The waiting list to buy one is more than 2 years, or you can buy a build slot for 20k from someone that has gotten tired of waiting.

What A Douche....And Why Was he North of that Inlet Ive been in and out of that and Light House My Whole Life...Drunk or a Rich Kid that took Dads Boat For a Spin On the ROCKS...LOL And Yes my Neighbor Owns A Freeman And YES the best $$$$$$$$ Can Buy LOL

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Stay Left Of Center On Plane and Come off Right be for the Hard Right To Lake Boca...I Like it better then Lighthouse Point

Tank

Reaction score
At the end dude on the rocks is yelling at them and they’re yelling they lost power.

Steering went out. Don’t know how dumb the captain was. Shit happens. He straight threw it in reverse trying to stop. What else can you do last minute. 🤷🏻‍♂️

copterzach

Reaction score
42C2C143-CE62-476E-93ED-8A8B141E006A.jpeg
493FD9C3-35DB-4D39-B577-61C222D3031A.jpeg

I thought I had more pictures of Frog’s Freeman. Have to look

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
They’re very nice I’m sure but I’m not sure they worth 7 figures. What’s so great about them? Full carbon lay up? Golden props?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I’ll be anxious to learn the cause. At this point it looks like operator error.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Freeman’s are outstanding boats. An amazing solid ride. In the So Cal area Billy Keleman operates a very successful offshore tuna charter operation using his new Freeman. A huge upgrade from his previous Parker.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Could have lost steering, but they had all the engine power... they used the motors once they were being towed...

They don't look like the new 600's but maybe, that is why you cannot tell the direction the motors are pointed as only the case turns... Cause they sure didn't looking like they wanted to turn and miss the rocks......

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Could have lost steering, but they had all the engine power... they used the motors once they were being towed...

They don't look like the new 600's but maybe, that is why you cannot tell the direction the motors are pointed as only the case turns... Cause they sure didn't looking like they wanted to turn and miss the rocks......
Those look like 400s

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
It looks like the steering failed. If you notice. The motors never turned at all.

Some of the responses on this thread are amazing. I just hope I never have a mechanical breakdown in front of RDP members.

edit: I just watched the video again, and you can see the captain turning the helm. And the motors do not turn at all.

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I think this one is hands down worse. The one the OP posted appears a mechanical issue. Likely out of their hands.
The video I linked the captain knowingly makes a terrible decision. You can see the boat start to climb the roost. This is how you die boating.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
It looks like the steering failed. If you notice. The motors never turned at all.

Some of the responses on this thread are amazing. I just hope I never have a mechanical breakdown in front of RDP members.
Normally I would agree with your post…….

However, let’s break this down.

He is coming from many miles offshore, but he obviously is south of actual inlet. So instead of lining up the inlet on a straight trajectory, he is going to come from south to head west into inlet. What if a boat was leaving inlet on the side of jetty that was now blind to our Freeman Captain?

Our Freeman Captain saw Wavy Boat‘s shooting video at jetty, so he thought he would hook it into inlet, giving Wavy a great video. Sure, there might have been mechanical issues, but all that really equates to is this…….. He was going too fast for conditions. Him hitting the rocks is a testament to that. That’s what the Coast Guard would say.

I agree with Buddy who stated in an earlier post that it could have been the delay from disengaging the autopilot, which it completely appears that way. That conclusion comes from the very beginning of video before he ever enters inlet. It looks like the bow is correcting on each compression, which leads me to believe the autopilot is on. The boat also slightly turned into inlet…… then corrected. That’s when the captain dropped a turd.

The lesson to be learned here is that sometimes shit happens. You get up at zero dark thirty to go fish the canyon ( Gulf Stream) after many hour of fishing, you set the autopilot for Boca Inlet. Your so tired by the time you reach the inlet that you have forgotten you set the autopilot…….. until you have to turn into inlet! Shit happens! Lol

This thread is busting crazy on another forum. They are pontificating every detail. You guys are being nice comparatively. Just saying

I will also shoot a video of the damage to the boat. It sits on a lift north of me. I hope to do that later this week.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
The repair isn’t going to be free man
On another forum, they are talking about the 9:30 mark on video when the bilge starts shooting water. He holed the boat.

Another funny statement on another forum. Autopilot is the Devils Toy. So right!

Another…… Sensors, software, connectors, etc, all between the throttle and motors…… what could go wrong?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My title says it all……..

The Captain is an idiot!

So basically the speed utv of the fishing world.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
Why are they fucking with the fishing lines at 1:34. You can see him cutting the line with a knife. Did they spool one into a prop(s)?

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
On another forum, they are talking about the 9:30 mark on video when the bilge starts shooting water. He holed the boat.

Another funny statement on another forum. Autopilot is the Devils Toy. So right!

Another…… Sensors, software, connectors, etc, all between the throttle and motors…… what could go wrong?

A buddy and I were just talking about this. He is looking at converting his 63 Hattaras to all fly by wire. But.... he is going to leave the main helm also set up with direct steering and throttle. Just in case. Way too easy for sensors to fail and leave ya stranded.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score

“Auto pilot is the devils toy” I like that.
I have a friend that left SD late one night, checked his radar, set the auto pilot to head for the Coronados and drove between a tug and a barge.
I’ve always said if it has a wire coming out of it, it’s going to be a problem.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
That sucks for captain
Shit happens fast

My major issue is why we’re they not putting life jackets on while shit is going down What if ……

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
So if Autopilot is on, the skipper can't control (or over ride) steering from the helm? That fancy stuff is above my pay grade, LOL

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… Reminds me of one night I was out joy riding around the LA Harbor and decided to take a peek outside the Breakwater …it was probably 10:30 at night…. I headed outside the Breakwater …there was a few rollers coming at me and I hear this ….help help …:I got out my hand held spotlight and see three guys on about a 28 foot Tollycraft…or something like that???…on the rocks …they missed the inlet and wound up on the rocks…I asked them …how much water they were taking on and they said… not too much… I also asked them… do you want to risk trying to tow the boat into the harbor???…they said yes …so I said all right …all of you get on my boat …but let’s hook a line to you…we did that …with about a 20 foot dock line I had aboard…now that I think about it …one of the guy wanted to stay on the little fishing boat…I told him no…too risky…

…I slowly backed my 34 footer within about a foot of them and had them climb aboard…I eased away and pulled their boat off the rocks…and on into the LA Harbor … I gave one of the guys a knife or else he had a knife ???and I said stand here on my aft deck…and if your boat starts to go down cut the line …

…the boat stayed afloat …

…I had called the Coast Guard and told them the situation …and that I would be towing this boat to the Coast Guard dock …when we got there …there was a Coast Guard boat with a pump…they bailed the water out of the little boat… That was about the time I decided I was done …

…My. boat being a twinscrew …I could manuver it with the two throttles and the forward and reversers… so I was out of there …

…I don’t think I would’ve tried to risk this little tow in adventure with a single screw boat???…

… I kind of hated to bail on these guys… But they were so drunk I didn’t want to watch them get a field sobriety test or whatever the Coast Guard might do to deal with them…

… As I was on my way …about halfway back to my slip …I realized I had left my jacket on the Coast Guard dock …and I thought is this jacket worth going back for and maybe having to deal with the Coast Guard on some level …maybe like filling out a ….how I saved em form …that could take a half hour …and I said screw it I turned around around went back …there was not a soul there …but right in the middle of the dock …was my jacket…

… Beings that I got back to my slip about three in the morning… I had to answer a lot of questions from the people in my marina… I bet i told the story 20 times… Some of the people in the marina thought that I was probably out there bringing in a boatload of marijuana… Not the case…(that was a Captain Ron deal at the end of our dock…he would take his cement sailboat out and come back with duffel bags full of something??? )…

…Just a nighttime boat ride… The Coast Guard when I first saw them… asked me what I was doing out there… I’m not sure they understood what a night time boat ride for fun was???…

Last edited:

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
So if Autopilot is on, the skipper can't control (or over ride) steering from the helm? That fancy stuff is above my pay grade, LOL
You have to press the Standby button, which is usually Red, to deactivate. If not, you can’t manually steer the boat.

You can also steer using autopilot by just changing the compass degree or degrees. Modern autopilots will actually navigate to waypoints, while navigating around obstacles. You just set your draft and where you want to go, and the autopilot does all the course corrections to your destination.

This can also be done with the handheld autopilot controller, so you can control the boat from anywhere on the vessel. This is a great feature. Let your imagination find all the potential uses, such as hanging out on top of the hardtop while cruising the Bahamas, while controlling the boat with a handheld remote control.

Hinckley takes the handheld boat controller a couple of more steps. With that controller in my pocket, I could both Captain the boat and serve cocktails at the same time. Docking was so easy it was ridiculous.

Thank god I am old school and learned navigation before modern GPS. A lot of new guys would be completely lost if the electronics went out. Just saying

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Manual steering is not available when in auto pilot mode. The function/capabilities of each auto pilot may vary depending on make and model.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
For those that don't know...when your boat is throttled and shifted all by wire (electronically) if something gets glitchy it can become a gnarly problem quickly.
Hey what was that to get all the life vests up and on NOW. I've had to do it.

In our case a 30,000 lb boat with a throttle up mind of its own.