WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Land Yacht?

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I'm going to be making once a month or every other month drives from northern NV to Scottsdale, AZ. It's about 700 miles one way, mostly long straight two lanes through the desert. I'd like an old fashioned land yacht with big pillow seats and a cushy ride. New luxury cars seem to be so sport oriented now with hard seats and stiffer suspension. I'm thinking of something like a '70s Cadillac but with modern FI and halfway decent gas mileage.

I'd like to keep it under $10K. I was thinking 2000's Crown Vic / Mercury Grand Marquis. I see lots of Caddy's but I have heard that the Northstar engine can be problematic and don't know what years or models they came in. Town Car is another option. Any other suggestions?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The Caddy's with the Northstars have two issues I've seen now that their long in the tooth. One is oil leaks. Not like valve covers or front seals, more the lower half/crank girdle assembly. Pull motor and trans to reseal. The other issue is headgaskets. They start to pull threads in the bock, and gaskets go away. They do threaded inserts, like time certs. Kind of a PITA.
A Crown Vic, or a Lincoln Towncar are good cruisers. Have to beware of the Lincoln air suspension. When they work they are nice, but pricey to repair. Both of those are good comfy rides, but not great on gas and aren't powerful.

The Buick road master wagon would be my personal choice as a highway cruising battleship, but not a whole lot of them around. A Chevy Caprice wagon would be my runner-up.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
The Buick road master wagon would be my personal choice as a highway cruising battleship, but not a whole lot of them around. A Chevy Caprice wagon would be my runner-up.

Funny you mention that. My buddy just bought an early '90s Roadmaster wagon for $500! Interior is excellent, exterior has some cosmetic stuff but nothing major. Runs great and everything works. I was thinking I'd just drive my C5 Corvette or my Duramax but one ride in that car prompted me to look for something like it but maybe a little newer with less miles (his has 260K miles).

I'd love to find a nice clean SS Impala.

sintax

Reaction score
. The other issue is headgaskets. They start to pull threads in the bock, and gaskets go away. They do threaded inserts, like time certs. Kind of a PITA.

That’s a huge understatement

I repaired my dads el dorado had that issue with the rear head. You might as well just fucking pull the engine. It’s a total nightmare. The rear head is almost totally under the cowl

Last edited:

Lumpy

Reaction score
I have always liked the late 70’s Cadillac seville. 76,77,78 era.
What he said...Not a big Ford fan but if you want a "Land Yacht" I'd find what he said or...

A Two Door Lincoln Continental...pre 1975 if possible...but the 75-76 weren't bad either.

Talk about sitting in a recliner with cruse control...only problem is ya just may fall asleep driving it.

Gas milage...LOL...its 700 miles...set the cruze on 90 and

Fogetaboutit

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
A late 60’s early 70’s Riviera would be one of my choices

1654051617948.jpeg

1654051692352.jpeg

1654051836049.png

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I’d do a 2000’s/2010’s Crown Vic or Mercury. Pretty comfy with acceptable power. Reliable I would think. A good 94-96 Impala SS is going to be way more than $10k, last time I checked. They are nice Corporate cruisers though (I miss my ‘94).

I’d say a ‘70s car if you wanted to put a few bucks to make sure it’s reliable. I don’t think breaking down in the middle of nowhere NV or AZ is something you want to deal with.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Anything that "rides like a land-yacht" of old is pretty much going to be that...old.

Like MW said, I'd try to find one of the early-mid 90's Buicks, they are cushy rides. Stay away from any SS or performance stuff, they are stiffer strung obviously.

Vista Cruiser, Road Master, Impala, Century are what I'd be looking for, A cherry/restored Riviera like WE showed above would be bitchin too!

If I found the right well kept one, throw a modern cooling system in it and charge the A/C...rock it.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Around 2005 a buddy of mine had some ranch land in N Texas that he leased. He had to make a couple of trips a month. He bought himself a 2 wheel drive Ford 7.3 power stroke. He lowered it a little, changed the springs, changed the gears and put in some plush seats out of a motor home. It was a highway cruiser, got almost 30 mpg. He put over 300,000 on that truck. Best part, if he ever had to haul anything he had plenty of room.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That’s a huge understatement

I repaired my dads el dorado had that issue with the rear head. You might as well just fucking pull the engine. It’s a total nightmare. The rear head is almost totally under the cowl
Yep, rear head blows. Front isn't bad, but all in all, not a fun car to work on. When they're running right, they're great though.
1973 Ford LTD or 1972 Chrysler Cordoba 🤷🏻‍♂️
My Grandma's daily was a '71 LTD with a 390 2v...in 1999, it had 60k on it when I got her a nice 1993 T-bird...that was the only "modern" car i could find with a long hood 😂
I did throw together a Cordoba for my sister once. Bought it from an old lady, needed a head gasket and a carb rebuild. Can't remember if she wrecked it, got it impounded or sold if for drugs :( It was pimp, silver with a black vinyl lid.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Sorry that I cant steer you you too any deals but if I was going to build the ultimate land yacht , it would be a '64 Continental with a more modern drivetrain like say a new Godzilla engine with the ten speed trans. That would truly be like piloting your couch down the hwy.
This should be a project for Bones.

rrrr

Reaction score
My neighbor scored a 1979 Ford LTD Brougham last week from an estate sale. It has 45,000 miles on the clock, was always garaged, and was religiously maintained by a Ford dealer.

There's big tufted squares on the seats about four inches tall, it looks like the inside of a casket. He said it doesn't ride on the road, it floats.

😁

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
My first car is a 95 caprice wagon with the LT1. 94, 95, 96 were LT1 cars with the 4l60 trans. Keep in mind those motors were 2 bolt main, only the vettes had the 4 bolt in those years. Try and get a car with the 9C1 package which was limited slip, oil cooler and trans cooler.

Great cars, hell I still have mine!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220601-031807_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-031807_Facebook.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20220601-031834_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-031834_Facebook.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20220601-031822_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-031822_Facebook.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 37

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
A late 60’s early 70’s Riviera would be one of my choices

View attachment 1121552

View attachment 1121553

View attachment 1121554

I LOVE Riviera's! However, carb'd and no overdrive trans = shitty gas mileage. Some quick figuring, 1500 mile round trip at 10 MPG versus 20 MPG and gas $6/gal is $450 per trip, $5400 per year. Plus, I want a 4 door as I'm bringing my dog with me and she rides in the back.

Lot's of interesting suggestions but some additional criteria:

Anything '70s is cool but again, crap gas mileage and will inevitably need some work. I don't want a project (I already have plenty of them). I want something turn key and stone reliable. At least '90s and newer with more efficient engine, better build quality (no wind noise, better insulation, etc)., and parts availability (if I happen to break down in East Bumfuck I want to be able to get replacements parts and not have to wait 3 weeks). Also don't want something so nice that I'll be worried about it getting damaged or stolen.

I guess practicality wise, a V6 Camry or something like that might be best but they seem so boring and I still don't think they have pillow like seats or a super soft ride. Maybe I should drive one and see?

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
My first car is a 95 caprice wagon with the LT1. 94, 95, 96 were LT1 cars with the 4l60 trans. Keep in mind those motors were 2 bolt main, only the vettes had the 4 bolt in those years. Try and get a car with the 9C1 package which was limited slip, oil cooler and trans cooler.

Those are bad ass cars. I don't care about 2 vs 4 bolt mains. I'm not going to be building the motor. Wanna sell yours?:oops::D:D

WildWilly

Reaction score

looks like a few of us did the Caprice wagon, although Mine was a 92 it did at least have the 5.7

Caprice Wagon.jpg

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Those are bad ass cars. I don't care about 2 vs 4 bolt mains. I'm not going to be building the motor. Wanna sell yours?:oops::D:D
Lol, I once had an old timer say a simple but effective quote to me, "2 bolt mains just mean less hardware to remove when you blow it up."

Nope, that one stays with me, my dad bought it new from John at southwest chevy in Parker, took my drivers test in that car, come to think of it I had a lot of firsts in that car!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I envision a grandpa car like a 90's Buick or an Oldsmobile. They are pretty cheap and decently built.

Last edited:

2Driver

Reaction score
Dad always had caddy’s but when he retired he got a 1995 Olds 98. Floated on air and got almost 30 mpg on the highway.

679D66CC-007E-4B73-A650-DC44BE351CBD.jpeg

nameisbond

Reaction score
My brother is a big football player sized guy. He likes the cars you are interested in. He avoids the Northstar engine. Just sold his 94 Town Car.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
I'm going to be making once a month or every other month drives from northern NV to Scottsdale, AZ. It's about 700 miles one way, mostly long straight two lanes through the desert. I'd like an old fashioned land yacht with big pillow seats and a cushy ride. New luxury cars seem to be so sport oriented now with hard seats and stiffer suspension. I'm thinking of something like a '70s Cadillac but with modern FI and halfway decent gas mileage.

I'd like to keep it under $10K. I was thinking 2000's Crown Vic / Mercury Grand Marquis. I see lots of Caddy's but I have heard that the Northstar engine can be problematic and don't know what years or models they came in. Town Car is another option. Any other suggestions?
not sure on pricing here but look for early 2000's Toyota Avalon. great highway cruiser, almost like a Lexus. decent mileage as well.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Mid 2000s (or newer) Chrysler 300... Hemi.....

Like driving your couch! and
reasonable

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
I absolutely loved my BabyLac. 27 mpg on the road and drove itself at 85 on Texas Highways.

redone76

Reaction score
Want me a land yacht as well....looking for a boat tail Riviera for my next project

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I LOVE Riviera's! However, carb'd and no overdrive trans = shitty gas mileage. Some quick figuring, 1500 mile round trip at 10 MPG versus 20 MPG and gas $6/gal is $450 per trip, $5400 per year. Plus, I want a 4 door as I'm bringing my dog with me and she rides in the back.

Lot's of interesting suggestions but some additional criteria:

Anything '70s is cool but again, crap gas mileage and will inevitably need some work. I don't want a project (I already have plenty of them). I want something turn key and stone reliable. At least '90s and newer with more efficient engine, better build quality (no wind noise, better insulation, etc)., and parts availability (if I happen to break down in East Bumfuck I want to be able to get replacements parts and not have to wait 3 weeks). Also don't want something so nice that I'll be worried about it getting damaged or stolen.

I guess practicality wise, a V6 Camry or something like that might be best but they seem so boring and I still don't think they have pillow like seats or a super soft ride. Maybe I should drive one and see?
My dad had a 90s Olds 98. Thing was comfy.
Had a 305 and did pretty decent on fuel

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
If the SS Impala is a good option, don't forget about the Mercury Marauders. Everything on these cars has been perfected over the years because of the heavy LEO presence. Then Mercury decided to make it look good and go fast. There is a guy in Florida that markets a complete supercharger kit for them that completes the package.
Only downside for the desert dwellers is that they only came in 3 colors, all of them dark. Black was by far the most common.

https://www.carfax.com/Used-Mercury-Marauder_w499

https://www.zero260.com/posts/menacing-mercury-26k-mile-2003-mercury-marauder-supercharged

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
The Caddy's with the Northstars have two issues I've seen now that their long in the tooth. One is oil leaks. Not like valve covers or front seals, more the lower half/crank girdle assembly. Pull motor and trans to reseal. The other issue is headgaskets. They start to pull threads in the bock, and gaskets go away. They do threaded inserts, like time certs. Kind of a PITA.
A Crown Vic, or a Lincoln Towncar are good cruisers. Have to beware of the Lincoln air suspension. When they work they are nice, but pricey to repair. Both of those are good comfy rides, but not great on gas and aren't powerful.

The worse problem with Northstar cars is the entire firewall is made out of molded plastic, Well 25 year old heat soaked plastic has the structural integrity of a waffle cone, any repair you have to make is going to cause irreversable damage.

I had a cherry clean STS, i had to dump it after changing the AC blower and realizing what was going on under the hood.

I'd definitely vote Crown Vic over the cadillac for that price.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I can't imagine paying for fuel in a land yacht these days. There is a reason the gas station at rice road is closed now, no one needs to stop for fuel anymore. Back then, you'd need a few tanks of fuel to even get to the river! 😱

Id suggest a pre 74 A body GM car. Drop an LS conversion in it (no smog cert required) and you'd have a real nice ride!

I built a Skylark for a guy with all new suspension and it rode like a 7 series BMW. For a fraction of the cost!

DO NOT buy something from the 80's or 90's that still has to be smogged. You'll end up throwing the thing in the trash, unless of course you can afford to throw an e-rod crate engine in it.

If you have that kinna money, just buy a Bentley and be happy! 😁

P_20180524_121746_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20180522_142742_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20180524_124213_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20180523_095740_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20180427_161321_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20180119_132319.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Find a 9c1 Caprice.

Had a lot of fun with mine. They also came with armored seat backs so you couldnt be shanked by yore rear passengers.
87DB0902-1518-4CE4-A3B4-89034A78C3E3.png

If you want something modern with heated/cooled seats get a 10 year old Cadillac DTS.

98FB1537-AA1E-4473-92DC-8CAAC9315EB8.jpeg

Last edited:

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
If the SS Impala is a good option, don't forget about the Mercury Marauders. Everything on these cars has been perfected over the years because of the heavy LEO presence. Then Mercury decided to make it look good and go fast. There is a guy in Florida that markets a complete supercharger kit for them that completes the package.
Only downside for the desert dwellers is that they only came in 3 colors, all of them dark. Black was by far the most common.

https://www.carfax.com/Used-Mercury-Marauder_w499

https://www.zero260.com/posts/menacing-mercury-26k-mile-2003-mercury-marauder-supercharged

I've been looking for a Marauder. Hard to find. Have a guy checking into one for me but it is in VA. Not sure worth a cross country trip to get it but if it checks out I'd do a fly and drive home which would be fun.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
I can't imagine paying for fuel in a land yacht these days. There is a reason the gas station at rice road is closed now, no one needs to stop for fuel anymore. Back then, you'd need a few tanks of fuel to even get to the river! 😱

Id suggest a pre 74 A body GM car. Drop an LS conversion in it (no smog cert required) and you'd have a real nice ride!

I built a Skylark for a guy with all new suspension and it rode like a 7 series BMW. For a fraction of the cost!

DO NOT buy something from the 80's or 90's that still has to be smogged. You'll end up throwing the thing in the trash, unless of course you can afford to throw an e-rod crate engine in it.

If you have that kinna money, just buy a Bentley and be happy! 😁

Again, don't want a project. I have my '63.5 Galaxie that I could turn into a nice cruiser but I already have a new built 390 and that car will be more of a hot rod.

No smog checks where I live so that is not a concern (Clark (Vegas) and Washoe (Reno) are the only two counties that require smog checks in NV).

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
Find a 9c1 Caprice.

Had a lot of fun with mine. They also came with armored seat backs so you couldnt be shanked by yore rear passengers. View attachment 1121699

If you want something modern with heated/cooled seats get a 10 year old Cadillac DTS.

View attachment 1121701

Those Impala's are another top contender but hard to find a nice clean low miles car. Most have been beat on or are very high dollar.

Do those Caddy's have the Northstar engine? That's a no go for me.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Those Impala's are another top contender but hard to find a nice clean low miles car. Most have been beat on or are very high dollar.

Do those Caddy's have the Northstar engine? That's a no go for me.

Yes most of them are beat.

The Caddy has a 4.6 v8. It is a Northstar but most of the expensive problems of the late 90s and early 2000s were solved by that time.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Again, don't want a project. I have my '63.5 Galaxie that I could turn into a nice cruiser but I already have a new built 390 and that car will be more of a hot rod.

No smog checks where I live so that is not a concern (Clark (Vegas) and Washoe (Reno) are the only two counties that require smog checks in NV).

Nice!

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
03 or newer Crown Vic or Marquis. Try to find one with the sport or tow package for extra cooling and deeper gears. The police interceptors are sprung pretty stiff and don’t ride as well- but that is easy enough to fix. Parts are cheap, and repairs are easy. My old man had a ‘00 Marquis, got mid 20s highway.