WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Beach bags... at Lake Powell

Boat 405

Reaction score
Reports of people using these to save spots between customers. This is like the rich version of save your spot on the beach with your EZ up. If i see these unattended I guarantee they will be deflated and stacked up and considered abandoned.

Note that these have pins used as well, the whole point of using the bags where so you don't have to use pins in the first place.

Sad state of affairs of people who don't give a shit and feel entitled to everything in life....
beach bag pin.jpeg

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
What are they filled with sand so you don’t have to drill into the rock for anchors? People use those for holding a houseboat?

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Never heard of those. Thought they were fuel bladders when I opened this.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Never heard of those. Thought they were fuel bladders when I opened this.
Yeah they're trying to crack down on stake drilling because it's "a national park" leave only foot prints. The point is basically moot when they've built huge marinas and parking lots and not to mention the giant damn they built to create the lake.

I don't feel stake holes are intrusive but I'm just a recreational boater.

c_land

Reaction score
Reports of people using these to save spots between customers. This is like the rich version of save your spot on the beach with your EZ up. If i see these unattended I guarantee they will be deflated and stacked up and hauled to the dumpster.

Note that these have pins used as well, the whole point of using the bags where so you don't have to use pins in the first place.

Sad state of affairs of people who don't give a shit and feel entitled to everything in life....
View attachment 1128883
We are doing that in July lol. I’m excited about it, I’m usually the one that has to go scout a camp site and it sucks every time.

The guys set them up a day before and send you the coords. You pull up and tie off and enjoy yourself. The park service prefers them over the anchors.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score

After reading this I would say if no boat is present they are completely fine if you pull into the spot and set up shop. They just need to retrieve they're bags when they show up.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
The bags are part of GCNRA’s “Alternative Anchoring Pilot Program” they’re made by This Company who holds a commercial use authorization permit at Lake Powell.

You can read the GCNRA press release Here.

You run a pilot program to work out the kinks and I can assure you the current process for setup/tear down has them. They’re adjusting operations but the public perception that these guys reserve you a spot has stuck. Their Full-Service Anchoring idea has its flaws but I believe it’s their best value add to the client and the stakeholders.

Last edited:

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I think these could take big stress off a houseboat trip and I’m for them. However they should be drained and removed when you leave.

I’m surprised they are being left behind. They can’t be cheap.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Hey I think they are a great idea to hold boats in place. No question about it. Pack it in, Pack it out. Pilot program or not if they are left unattended they are considered abandoned by NPS.

If you feel you are special and can pay your way to avoid having to scout out a spot by having these bags setup by someone else prior to your arrival you are part of the problem.

Honestly if you are complaining about scouting out a spot for your houseboat, Powell isn't for you. 40 years on the lake and I've seen it all. The crowds we have seen in the last 2 years is nothing compared to back in the 80's where it was 16 months in advance to reserve a houseboat and stateline parking lot was always full.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
IMHO......the bag idea is stupid and should be illegal. #1 - it's illegal to drill holes for pins yet the bag company is being allowed to drill. If you or me got caught drilling pin holes holy hell would break loose. #2 - "reserved" beach camp spots is bull shit, out of the blue clear sky NPS is going to allow a company to reserve spots when for years that was not allowed???? sorta like setting up your eazy-up in the channel permanently.

bk2drvr

Reaction score

After reading this I would say if no boat is present they are completely fine if you pull into the spot and set up shop. They just need to retrieve they're bags when they show up.
Well it sounds like these guys place them in a location of your choice before you arrive by houseboat. Which also leads me to believe they make recommendations on where to put them, which means they are reserving a spot for you.

They should provide the bags deflated with the houseboat and it’s up to the renter to place them and take them down when they leave. If you can pilot a houseboat I’m guessing you can rig a pump and fill these bags too.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Have you been on lake powell? :) Some of the people they let drive a 75' houseboat is insane LOL
Ya I know. But thats possibly another good reason to maybe have the bags. Lol…

I’m thinking piece of mind in windy conditions. I don’t agree with the setup and take down by a third party. Everyone is so spread out at Lake Powell that I don’t think the way they look matters.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Well it sounds like these guys place them in a location of your choice before you arrive by houseboat. Which also leads me to believe they make recommendations on where to put them, which means they are reserving a spot for you.

They should provide the bags deflated with the houseboat and it’s up to the renter to place them and take them down when they leave. If you can pilot a houseboat I’m guessing you can rig a pump and fill these bags too.
Completely agree.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Ya I know. But thats possibly another good reason to maybe have the bags. Lol…

I’m thinking piece of mind in windy conditions. I don’t agree with the setup and take down by a third party. Everyone is so spread out at Lake Powell that I don’t think the way they look matters.
I couldn’t care less about the look. I just know if we come around the corner when looking for a spot and there’s a couple of those bags on a pristine beach I’m gonna have a really hard time just turning around and driving away.

I have clients that pay to have their boat taken out and anchored. They are then given the coordinates and drive their smaller boat out to the location. The net result is exactly the same but at least at that point there’s an actual boat on the beach.

77charger

Reaction score
Hey I think they are a great idea to hold boats in place. No question about it. Pack it in, Pack it out. Pilot program or not if they are left unattended they are considered abandoned by NPS.

If you feel you are special and can pay your way to avoid having to scout out a spot by having these bags setup by someone else prior to your arrival you are part of the problem.

Honestly if you are complaining about scouting out a spot for your houseboat, Powell isn't for you. 40 years on the lake and I've seen it all. The crowds we have seen in the last 2 years is nothing compared to back in the 80's where it was 16 months in advance to reserve a houseboat and stateline parking lot was always full.
Been going since 87 and like you said lot on water then too but this is a whole different crowd today thats for sure most lack respect and its the beach is mine type.Dont get me started on the wakesurfers!

As for the bags its a hidden reserve your beach deal IMO. fine if you pack up when you go but leaving them behind is where it goes wrong pack it in pack it out.Kind of like a gecko rd at glamis.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have clients that pay to have their boat taken out and anchored. They are then given the coordinates and drive their smaller boat out to the location. The net result is exactly the same but at least at that point there’s an actual boat on the beach.

Ballers have been doing this for years with small boats and even helicopters but I agree, there is a boat in the spot instead of a bunch of multi color bags so it never bothered me. I saw the bags for the first time last week in West canyon and think they are an eyesore. Also, I really hated watching the "installers" drill holes in the rock. Not only it is illegal but it is just no the way to treat a national park.

I have been houseboating on Powell for 38 years and the bottom line is, skippers need to know how to properly anchor a boat. We've all had bad wind storms hit and typically they are very teachable moments. Of course when it comes to euro-tourist renters, all bets are off, steer clear!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I generally dislike “people” so I goto great lengths to avoid all other houseboats. Selfishly, this doesn’t impact my program… I am neutral for the time being.

This reeks of boaty ball type monopolies in the BVI.

When I do camp in the popular spots I surround myself with good people (@Nanu/Nanu). And about 1000 lbs worth of canine protection! Lol

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I generally dislike “people” so I goto great lengths to avoid all other houseboats. Selfishly, this doesn’t impact my program… I am neutral for the time being.

This reeks of boaty ball type monopolies in the BVI.

When I do camp in the popular spots I surround myself with good people (@Nanu/Nanu). And about 1000 lbs worth of canine protection! Lol
So just thinking about that with you and your wife and dog there. We had 13 people and 10 dogs!! Haha that was such a good time!

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Wakeboats dominate the waters at Powell for sure. Nearly every boat pulling into the marina is a wakeboat. Amazing how popular they are there. Only saw one twin engine pontoon the whole week, that surprised me too since they are all over in Havasu and up at Pirates on any given day. I think Powell attracts a lot of the Utah and some Colorado boaters and the popularity of pontoons hasn't (and may never) set in there yet. Powell is a haul for California and Havasu folks. Naturally you would think that if you like the river then you will love Powell. But I think the distance to Powell kills it for a lot of people. Thats okay with me though. haha...

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
The ONLY argument FOR the bags in my opinion is if they eliminate drilling stake holes, BUT THEY DON'T!!!!!!!!!!

How are these better than drilling stake holes if that is what they are held by anyway. It appears it take more holes to hold a bag than to hold a houseboat.

Seems to me like they are selling it to NPS as environmental protection to get it approved or mandated just so they can save you a spot and make a buck.

I don't see this as a win for anybody but the company pushing them.

I just don't see how this idea holds any water.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
The ONLY argument FOR the bags in my opinion is if they eliminate drilling stake holes, BUT THEY DON'T!!!!!!!!!!

How are these better than drilling stake holes if that is what they are held by anyway. It appears it take more holes to hold a bag than to hold a houseboat.

Seems to me like they are selling it to NPS as environmental protection to get it approved or mandated just so they can save you a spot and make a buck.

I don't see this as a win for anybody but the company pushing them.

I just don't see how this idea holds any water.
I thought the article said the stake holes were only used while there were testing the bags and not under normal use?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Wakeboats dominate the waters at Powell for sure. Nearly every boat pulling into the marina is a wakeboat. Amazing how popular they are there. Only saw one twin engine pontoon the whole week, that surprised me too since they are all over in Havasu and up at Pirates on any given day. I think Powell attracts a lot of the Utah and some Colorado boaters and the popularity of pontoons hasn't (and may never) set in there yet. Powell is a haul for California and Havasu folks. Naturally you would think that if you like the river then you will love Powell. But I think the distance to Powell kills it for a lot of people. Thats okay with me though. haha...
Wakeboard boats dominate for sure. I guess in their defense you need lots of activities if you have families and kids for 7 days sun up till sun down.

I bet 90% of the houseboats are one trip a year timeshare/rentals and the distance is muted by the full week of boating for the vacation mindset.

Even someone like me who makes a 5 hour drive from Phoenix spends way more time on land, off-roading and hiking etc than I do on the water. I have been up here going on three weeks and only spent 3 days boating… Lol… I need to get my act together. Haha

havasuhusker

Reaction score

To me, the scouting for a spot is part of the experience.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I thought the article said the stake holes were only used while there were testing the bags and not under normal use?

You may be right, and I hope you are. It would at least make a little more sense then.

Ultimately, I don't like them. I don't like the way they look and I don't think there is a large enough environmental benefit. If there was, I'd be all for them. We drill holes for stakes. We see old holes that were drilled and they are so hard packed with sand that they are unusable unless you drill them out again. What will be the negative environmental affects of these bags beyond the eyesore that they are? I don't mean to be a negative nelly, I just don't see that the pros out weigh the cons here. If all the benefit of these is to save beaches and line pockets then I'm out, they're ugly and (at this point) have unknown consequences. Find a beach and learn how to anchor just like the rest of us.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
The story is all in the name. If they wanted to help with camping on the rocks they should be called rock bags.

But instead they're setting them up like a bunch of dick bags! 😂

I really don't see the benefits, all I ask is if someone rolls into the spot before them they act accordingly and are nice about taking their bags back.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Someone here said it before, that wake boats in Utah are like the family station wagon of boats for Mormon families with lots of kids. It’s totally true though on Powell.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sent the company (Beachbaganchors.com) an email expressing my opinion on the bags and the disgust with the fact that they condone drilling into the rocks. The CEO responded within minutes which I respect. Here is his response:

Hello Rob;

Thank you for reaching out to us with your opinions and concerns. While we may not share the same views, I think it helps to have real dialog about things so that at least the “facts” are correct. So to that end, I would like to just offer up two comments / clarifications.

1) Back pinning… we are only back pinning boats over 85 feet in length. This is a very temporary situation that is necessary to acquire wind loading data on very large boats. We already have static data and calculations, but we need empirical data as using computer modeling for dynamic wind loads will not work. Once we have sufficient data we will be able to reduce the number of anchors and pinning all together. This process was approved by the NPS as it’s really the only credible way to eliminate pinning while keeping everyone involved safe.

2) We anticipated the negative comments regarding the color of our anchors, but due to the world supply chain issues… our solution has not arrived yet. Soon, I hope in the coming few weeks, we will be able to cover the anchors with a cover that will attempt to match the surrounding sand stone. I’m sure it will not be perfect, but we believe it will be a dramatic improvement. We prototyped this last season and the feedback was very positive.

Like you, we have been on the lake for decades and have raised our kids and families there. We are striving to bring a solution to a real problem on the lake and are doing our best to be good neighbors to all.

If you have any further questions, or just would like to discuss further, I would be happy to chat at your convenience.

Regards,

Jeff Doss

Looking at their website, the company is full of OG Lake Powell houseboaters. I think their motives were genuine but their execution is poor. He references the NPS approval but I lost respect for them a long time ago from personal experiences.

I guess I never perceived a problem that needed solving. The only problem I have seen over the years is unqualified skippers who have not learned how to properly anchor a vessel, regardless of size. Get a bigger boat, get some training.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I sent the company (Beachbaganchors.com) an email expressing my opinion on the bags and the disgust with the fact that they condone drilling into the rocks. The CEO responded within minutes which I respect. Here is his response:

Hello Rob;

Thank you for reaching out to us with your opinions and concerns. While we may not share the same views, I think it helps to have real dialog about things so that at least the “facts” are correct. So to that end, I would like to just offer up two comments / clarifications.

1) Back pinning… we are only back pinning boats over 85 feet in length. This is a very temporary situation that is necessary to acquire wind loading data on very large boats. We already have static data and calculations, but we need empirical data as using computer modeling for dynamic wind loads will not work. Once we have sufficient data we will be able to reduce the number of anchors and pinning all together. This process was approved by the NPS as it’s really the only credible way to eliminate pinning while keeping everyone involved safe.

2) We anticipated the negative comments regarding the color of our anchors, but due to the world supply chain issues… our solution has not arrived yet. Soon, I hope in the coming few weeks, we will be able to cover the anchors with a cover that will attempt to match the surrounding sand stone. I’m sure it will not be perfect, but we believe it will be a dramatic improvement. We prototyped this last season and the feedback was very positive.

Like you, we have been on the lake for decades and have raised our kids and families there. We are striving to bring a solution to a real problem on the lake and are doing our best to be good neighbors to all.

If you have any further questions, or just would like to discuss further, I would be happy to chat at your convenience.

Regards,

Jeff Doss

Looking at their website, the company is full of OG Lake Powell houseboaters. I think their motives were genuine but their execution is poor. He references the NPS approval but I lost respect for them a long time ago from personal experiences.

I guess I never perceived a problem that needed solving. The only problem I have seen over the years is unqualified skippers who have not learned how to properly anchor a vessel, regardless of size. Get a bigger boat, get some training.
You did right Rob you went to the source. I completely agree with your views as well in regards to people not knowing how to properly secure their boats. Cudos to the CEO of beach bags for responding back to you in a timely manner, and he cares enough about your views to keep a cool head and answer you with professionalism and Courtesy. Not that it will change your views or outlook on the situation.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
Someone here said it before, that wake boats in Utah are like the family station wagon of boats for Mormon families with lots of kids. It’s totally true though on Powell.
It is true. I thought there was a wake/surf boat regatta when I was there. I've never seen so many in one place.

bk2drvr

Reaction score

Hello Rob;

Regards,

Jeff Doss

I wonder if they thought about grinding up some sandstone, mixing it with a little water and just fill the holes in when they leave. Quick and easy. A couple of good rains later and you’d never see the holes again.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I wonder if they thought about grinding up some sandstone, mixing it with a little water and just fill the holes in when they leave. Quick and easy. A couple of good rains later and you’d never see the holes again.
Well... In the spirit of leave no trace and Indiana Jones that sand belongs on the beach! 😂

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score

Agree this is a common sense solution

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
How heavy are these bags? I wouldn't trust them to hold shit when the wind kicks up.

Taboma

Reaction score

Hello Rob;

Regards,

Jeff Doss

In your email to this company, did you address the issue of post-use bag retrieval ? I didn't notice anything in that regards in his response.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your email to this company, did you address the issue of post-use bag retrieval ? I didn't notice anything in that regards in his response.
No, but I should have.