WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Railroad job

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Whats the average pay for railroad jobs? I know there are certain roles that warrant higher pay etc just like any form of work, for some reason, I think they pay pretty well (like the Longshoremen at the docks) but I haven't a clue. Seems to me it would be pretty boring chugging along out in the middle of nowhere for hours on end- do the trains have any comfort at all? I rode on Amtrack from Anaheim to Del Mar for many seasons (horse racing) and THAT was the way to ride a train, Freight trains- maybe not so much except when they used to have the caboose.
There’s guys that make up over 150k out of Needles, but they don’t have much for a life. I could make the same, but don’t chose to work anywhere near that much. Needles a brand new guy with the desire to work can easily run 120-135 a year in the current standings. We don’t make more or less based upon years, just our years offer us different routes.
My job Needles to Winslow and back, a brand new first trip out of training guy makes 1208$ myself with 19 years 1208$ and a buy with 42 years makes 1208$ it’s the run not the seniority.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
There’s guys that make up over 150k out of Needles, but they don’t have much for a life. I could make the same, but don’t chose to work anywhere near that much. Needles a brand new guy with the desire to work can easily run 120-135 a year in the current standings. We don’t make more or less based upon years, just our years offer us different routes.
My job Needles to Winslow and back, a brand new first trip out of training guy makes 1208$ myself with 19 years 1208$ and a buy with 42 years makes 1208$ it’s the run not the seniority.
Yeah, but a new guy can't hold the Winslow run. Last I checked, with 16 years in, I can't hold the Winslow run. When I was a new guy I could hold Barstow and that was it. And it was a far cry from the average of $67k average they told me. But I had money in the bank at the time and every time I got bumped I went to Havasu and rode it out. Sometimes 5 days if I got hit on my Friday.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Yeah, but a new guy can't hold the Winslow run. Last I checked, with 16 years in, I can't hold the Winslow run. When I was a new guy I could hold Barstow and that was it. And it was a far cry from the average of $67k average they told me. But I had money in the bank at the time and every time I got bumped I went to Havasu and rode it out. Sometimes 5 days if I got hit on my Friday.
No you could t hold the turn but the extra boards work every direction. With the guarantee pay at 5300$ a half and most people bust it by plenty. That’s still over 10k a month.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
No you could t hold the turn but the extra boards work every direction. With the guarantee pay at 5300$ a half and most people bust it by plenty. That’s still over 10k a month.
I feel for those XB guys, I'll go home while they're still working and the next day they're back at it before me. And that HiViz is BS.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I feel for those XB guys, I'll go home while they're still working and the next day they're back at it before me. And that HiViz is BS.
Why my suggestion to people is go ahead for a job to make money, but at this point i don’t see hiring and planning for a long time career.
Hell you’d be able to hold east end now, but i look at the early 04 guys who still can’t hold EE year round yet i have luckily since 2012.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Why my suggestion to people is go ahead for a job to make money, but at this point i don’t see hiring and planning for a long time career.
Hell you’d be able to hold east end now, but i look at the early 04 guys who still can’t hold EE year round yet i have luckily since 2012.
I can't tell what I can hold any more. They took the option out of TSS, and my WF Hub doesn't have that option.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I’m all ears.
I corresponded with him and his wife a few times a couple years ago.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
My lifetime friend, his brother and father all are/where conductors and engineers out of Tucson (SP/UP) They operate a train from Tucson to either El Paso or Yuma. Spend the night away getting the required rest then post up on the board and operate a train back to Tucson. This pattern never stops until they choose to take off. They seem to make a great living but it’s not a normal job at all. His brother has literally worked for years straight never taking himself out of the rotation.

Every railroad worker on RDP might know him since he is now one of the VPs of the BLET at the teamsters in Washington DC. Crazy stories they can tell with over 100 years of experience between the 3 or them.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
You didn’t happen to know the crew that was on A4 125 did you? Talk about a tragedy, even tho we still haven’t really heard squat about it.

Rogers Hopeful

Reaction score
Our boards on commuter are so short staffed we have conductors making $4000 a week consistently. But that’s 15 hr days (4-6hr interim release) 6 days a week.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
You didn’t happen to know the crew that was on A4 125 did you? Talk about a tragedy, even tho we still haven’t really heard squat about it.
If you know someone with a command line, CCTS 2.

TCHB

Reaction score
Spend the time to become a Electrical Engineer. Jobs everywhere and pay to start is good.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
If you know someone with a command line, CCTS 2.
I pulled names off the iPad, i just was curious if he knew them. Tragic just cruising then dead, i still cannot figure out why there’s really been no press releases or info on that accident.

bentprops

Reaction score
I can't tell what I can hold any more. They took the option out of TSS, and my WF Hub doesn't have that option.
Get a comand line and hit CCTO, LTC is last train called, or option 6, put needles in station. they didnt "retire"any of it, just took your ability away.

Last edited:

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Booger went to the Merced crew base. Doug, well, Doug went to jail. He's like the 4th guy down in the link I posted.
Get a comand line and hit CCTO, LTC is last train called, or option 6, put needles in station. they didnt "retire"any of it, just took your ablity away.
LTC doesn't work in the command line and option 7 throws you the WFH message. Option 6 doesn't break down the boards, just shows the roster.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Awesome thread. Very little known what you guys are experiencing out in the middle of nowhere everyday. When traveling the i40 cannot miss seeing the trains. Always interesting passing thru Ludlow & visualizing what that place was like 100 years ago. Seems there still one long time family living in privacy back by the tracks & hotel in Ludlow. Get the impression stay away from that house.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
There is a huge shortage and demand for airline pilots… No college degree requirement at the moment for most of them. Look up ATP flight schools and look into the fast track program… my nephew is 21 and just started last month..

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Awesome thread. Very little known what you guys are experiencing out in the middle of nowhere everyday. When traveling the i40 cannot miss seeing the trains. Always interesting passing thru Ludlow & visualizing what that place was like 100 years ago. Seems there still one long time family living in privacy back by the tracks & hotel in Ludlow. Get the impression stay away from that house.
They sit for hours on end with no idea when they are going to move or get off the train. The air conditioning doesn't work for shit either.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
After reading this thread, 10/10 would recommend becoming a pilot…

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
They sit for hours on end with no idea when they are going to move or get off the train. The air conditioning doesn't work for shit either.
Lol… my buddy told me the same thing. The union contract states the engine has to have AC but it doesn’t say it has to work. So it never gets repaired.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Lol… my buddy told me the same thing. The union contract states the engine has to have AC but it doesn’t say it has to work. So it never gets repaired.
When they are working correctly, they only drop the temp 20* from ambient. So if it's 115* outside, it's 95* inside and it's working as designed.

trytoreachme

Reaction score
what ended up happening to the guy that tried to crash the train into the hospital ship?
3 years federal Prison... He was trying to make it 100 yards(across a parking lot without tracks) to the COVID ship.. lol

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Get a comand line and hit CCTO, LTC is last train called, or option 6, put needles in station. they didnt "retire"any of it, just took your ability away.
My old back door way to do a command line was taken away a few months ago. Sucks as I’d pull ltc just to train track via the iPad by swapping myself to that symbol on there. Was something to waste time at least.

bentprops

Reaction score
3 years federal Prison... He was trying to make it 100 yards(across a parking lot without tracks) to the COVID ship.. lol
Let that be a lesson to the davos crowed, the people are on the edge of going ape shit crazy.