WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Catalina Ski Race Winner

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Shot close to 1000 pics . . . need to go through them and delete all the crapy ones. Then I'll put a post w/ the decent ones.
Congrats to ALL the participants . . . it was awesome !!!

Here's the winner from todays race . . . Todd Haig ! 🏁🏁🏁

DSC03648.JPG

DSC03651.JPG

DSC03658.JPG

DSC03666.JPG

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Shocker... :)

Any good drag races to the finish line?
Not that I saw . . . there was a south-wind / morning sickness that had the ocean all confused & chopped up . . . which may have spread out the field.
There were 2 spills RIGHT at the checkered buoy which was a 1st that I've seen.
I didn't get the fall . . . but I got a few good shots of the 915 boat cranking it HARD to swing back for their skier.

Taboma

Reaction score
Shocker... :)

Any good drag races to the finish line?
On the live cam they had Todd coming in hot, and not another boat or helo in sight. Todd made it in just ahead of the Ferry which was booking it into the harbor. A short time later they spotted Avila's helo and a group of 4 boats that did have to contend with the Ferry wake, seems they all went wide outside trying to avoid it. Was very surprised to see Mike Avila with Cameron Nix (AUS) skiing bringing up the rear of that four boat group.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Did that kid Mason race again? Someone on here knew him and he killed it last year.

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
On the live cam they had Todd coming in hot, and not another boat or helo in sight. Todd made it in just ahead of the Ferry which was booking it into the harbor. A short time later they spotted Avila's helo and a group of 4 boats that did have to contend with the Ferry wake, seems they all went wide outside trying to avoid it. Was very surprised to see Mike Avila with Cameron Nix (AUS) skiing bringing up the rear of that four boat group.
I heard that Cameron Nix took a hard fall in practice Friday. Not sure if he raced.

Taboma

Reaction score
I heard that Cameron Nix took a hard fall in practice Friday. Not sure if he raced.
Not sure either, other than the race announcers thinking it is he who was behind Avila's boat when he started, when he was in 2nd rounding the Avalon turn and again when he crossed the finish line. Perhaps the fall affected his ability to handle the rough return leg crossing ??

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
Mike Avila did pull Cameron Nix from Australia.

He was supposed to be pulling Nix's older brother; I don't recall his first name. The older brother took a hard fall during a practice run early in the week. Reports I HEARD not for certain, is that the older brother broke his back. I believe he already had surgery and is doing well.

Taboma

Reaction score

He was supposed to be pulling Nix's older brother; I don't recall his first name. The older brother took a hard fall during a practice run early in the week. Reports I HEARD not for certain, is that the older brother broke his back. I believe he already had surgery and is doing well.
Thanks for the report on the water conditions and congrats on your F2 2nd place finish 👍

Watching this race is special because it was such a large part of my childhood in the 50's with my dad heavily involved and me sitting on the beach anxiously awaiting their return. The fire consumed all the 8mm movies and 2nd place CSR trophy from 1956 if I'm recalling the year correctly, so watching this race annually is a little like stepping back in time, lots of amazing memories flooding back.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score

Lachlan (sp) Nix. Current F2 champ, superclass skier down under.

I heard similar reports.