WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The 2022 Formula 1 Thread.

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
"It's lights out and away we go!!"

Forza Ferrari!
FOT5KH3WUAA9F3t-min-660x330.jpg

Bad luck for Red Bull, Merc got damn lucky, and KMAG / Haas finally scoring points!

What the hell happened to Mclaren??

Red Bull Powertrains.. 1 out of 4 finishing ain't that bad.. yikes!

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
Looking forward to shuffling the deck.

I’d be happy if I never heard Wolf or Horner again. I know thats wishful thinking but I am just so tired of hearing those bitches complaining.

RB poaching the engine guys from Merc looks like it hit hard. Lots of Merc engines at the back of the field.

And poor Zak? WTF happened in that building - they where looking like they were really improving the last couple of years.

Go HAAS! Huge gamble last year, it looks like it paid off.

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
That was an amazing weekend....what's the saying... you can't win a championship in one race but you can lose it. It was great to see Ferrari back on their front foot. Merc has got some work to do. Great to see Bottas finish well... Cannot imagine the level of data crunching going on in the race team's data centers this week... Not a lot of time to change things....Not sure how I feel about the 18" wheels ....cars seem to run real bouncy with them... They definitely have their suspension work cut out for them...

baja-chris

Reaction score
I was so happy to see 3 of the 4 red bull cars dnf. So tired of Horner and Verstappen acting as if they were not gifted the championship by Masi's screw up.
Also hope Toto continues to lay low and keep his mouth shut this year. Stoked to see Ferrari on pace and Hass and Alfa too. New cars do seem to have improved ability to follow closely facilitating more action. I would expect Mercedes to get the car figured out in a few more races and have top 3 teams similar in pace. Looking like a good season so far. Hope Ferrari can stay up front this year. Big fan of Sainz (and his dad).

mbrown2

Reaction score
New cars do seem to have improved ability to follow closely facilitating more action.
I would agree....the back and forth between Max and Charles showed how these cars can stay close without the impacts of dirty air like the last car....

baja-chris

Reaction score
I think there were 6 lead changes right after the first round of pit stops. Good stuff for sure.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I was so happy to see 3 of the 4 red bull cars dnf. So tired of Horner and Verstappen acting as if they were not gifted the championship by Masi's screw up.
Also hope Toto continues to lay low and keep his mouth shut this year. Stoked to see Ferrari on pace and Hass and Alfa too. New cars do seem to have improved ability to follow closely facilitating more action. I would expect Mercedes to get the car figured out in a few more races and have top 3 teams similar in pace. Looking like a good season so far. Hope Ferrari can stay up front this year. Big fan of Sainz (and his dad).
Gotta admit that I am a huge Red Bull fan, so I was bummed with their issues. I also can go without hearing Toto and Horner bitching to the race director during the race. There should be no communications like there have been in the past.

I hope the competition is as good as last year. Lewis is amazing to watch, but it was really nice to have a real championship battle last year.

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
F1 is what i have been waiting for. Watching all the test and the new cars has been awesome. Such a bummer that red bull had reliability issues. Its great to see Ferrari up on the podium, I hope they can stay there and we might get three teams fighting for the constructors (Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes). Super stoked to see HAAS up in the top ten. After there past seasons lets hope they can keep it up. I'm sure they are missing the Russian money but definitely not missing the Russian driver. KMAG did a fantastic job this weekend and so did Schumaker

I love the look of the new cars but as far as drivability I think the drivers have their hands full. It doesn't seem like the cars are on rails like they were last year but I'm sure as the season goes on they will keep developing and the cars will get better and better.

The Mercedes drivers probably need neck and back therapy after this weekend. Their cars seemed to be the stiffest ride out there

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Cool to see the Ferrari's at the sharp end again but I couldn't stop thinking, "how are they cheating this time". Three of the four "Honda" powered cars failed to finish, going to be interesting to see how that plays out over the season. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the Mercedes powerplant, all of the Mercedes powered teams have work to do with their new chassis designs. If it were engine related, all four of the Merc powered teams would have been at the back.

It was a fun race to watch, the only bummer for me was with the demise of the Red Bull's, the race baiting Screwis Fuckilton made the podium.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
The season is going to be great. Merc will figure it out soon and we will have Lecrec, Max and Hamilton all dicing at the front.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Crazy to see Verstappen's car die right in the last laps of the race

sirbob

Reaction score
Cool to see the Ferrari's at the sharp end again but I couldn't stop thinking, "how are they cheating this time". Three of the four "Honda" powered cars failed to finish, going to be interesting to see how that plays out over the season. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the Mercedes powerplant, all of the Mercedes powered teams have work to do with their new chassis designs. If it were engine related, all four of the Merc powered teams would have been at the back.

It was a fun race to watch, the only bummer for me was with the demise of the Red Bull's, the race baiting Screwis Fuckilton made the podium.

Your thoughts on the Merc engine must be based on the thought that the customers get the same engine that the factory is using.

I don’t know the answer to that question but I do know that even in the same team both cars won’t have the same equipment.

I think Merc factory has the latest and greatest and they have the engineers to tweak it - once they start pushing the limit to the next design improvement they start sharing it with customers. Then they are focused on the next improvement?

I really think the all the engine guys that RB poached hurt Mercs engine team.

RB will figure out their failure by the mid week and have a solution quickly - Merc may have a longer road ahead IMO.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Agreed, great to see Ferrari back in the mix. Here's a few pix of when we were guests of Ferrari at the Paddock Club, Singapore GP, back when Alonso drove for the Scuderia
. F1 Ferrar Paddock Club.jpg F1 Nikki Lauda.jpg Ferrari garage.jpg F1 Ferrare Charity Race.jpg Alonso pit garage.jpg F1 Alonso meeting crowd.jpg

Attachments

• F1 Ferrari Pit.jpg
    F1 Ferrari Pit.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 31

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I was stoked for Magnussen, seems like the car is promising, however, my concern is that the big money teams will fix their programs and Haas won't be able to develop as fast to keep up. Its like when they first joined, decent car, it just didn't get faster like everyone else did that year. That will be the real test. Mick has his work cut out for him competing weekly against a known quantity, it would be great if he could keep up with K Mag, all unknown at this point. Also, I am hoping with KMag, he can get even faster as he gets more experience with the car and comfortable in F1 again, I don't expect much more gains, but hey, that would be great. Both cars in Q3 every week would be amazing while some of the big teams struggle to catch up development wise, McLaren/Aston Martin, Williams, etc.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Your thoughts on the Merc engine must be based on the thought that the customers get the same engine that the factory is using.

I don’t know the answer to that question but I do know that even in the same team both cars won’t have the same equipment.
Uhh, no. The Merc factory team will get the A spec engine. Customer teams will get the B spec. This is well known. However, history has shown the B spec to still be a very good power plant. The off-season engine changes were evolutionary not revolutionary, new fuel spec, I doubt the current Merc engines are down much power from the others at this point in the season. Losing powerplant engineers will not help their development program however.

All of the big budget teams produce two cars that are as equal as possible, no way to win the Manufacturers Championship with unequal cars.

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
Total long shot here, I'm starting to wonder if Seb will come back "Covid". I don't think a 4 time world champ is going to want to run in the back for a whole season.

sirbob

Reaction score
Uhh, no. The Merc factory team will get the A spec engine. Customer teams will get the B spec. This is well known. However, history has shown the B spec to still be a very good power plant. The off-season engine changes were evolutionary not revolutionary, new fuel spec, I doubt the current Merc engines are down much power from the others at this point in the season. Losing powerplant engineers will not help their development program however.

All of the big budget teams produce two cars that are as equal as possible, no way to win the Manufacturers Championship with unequal cars.

I realize the big boys “try” to have 2 cars of equal spec. But the fact is they often have different set ups when something new comes along that they haven’t built enough parts for both cars.

My point was just that I would not simply assume the back markers with Merc engines are only there because of aero issues.

Last edited:

caribbean20

Reaction score
Total long shot here, I'm starting to wonder if Seb will come back "Covid". I don't think a 4 time world champ is going to want to run in the back for a whole season.
It HAS been quite the fall from grace for Seb since his Red Bull days. Same thing happened to Alonso during his McLaren tenure. Problem for Seb, there aren't any seats available so its either DTM or America if he still has the desire. Here's a pic of Seb during happier times.
F1 Seb Vettel.jpg

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
Great race today.
Lots of passing and repassing and repassing.
So stoked for Hamilton! 😂

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Great ending to the Saudi Arabia F1 race - passing for the win…Max Verstappen

Glad he got P1 since he got no points last week in Bahrain

Good to see Ferrari in contention while Mercedes looks to be coming on

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
Odd that Riccardo, Bottas, and Alonzo cars all died on the same lap.
I really thought that Charles Leclerc had this in the bag.
Really enjoyed watching Alonzo and Ocon go at it.
Latifi changing the race order when it suits him. lol

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Great racing today! Sorry for Checo, that sucked.
Really bummed for Checo, he did everything right, would have been cool to see him win a race on merit. Just bad luck.

Odd that Riccardo, Bottas, and Alonzo cars all died on the same lap.
I really thought that Charles Leclerc had this in the bag.
Really enjoyed watching Alonzo and Ocon go at it.
Latifi changing the race order when it suits him. lol
Latifi.... what a clown. Twice over the weekend after each crash he says on the radio "I don't know what happened". I do, you ran out of talent and chewed a big hole in your teams budget.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Decently pleased with the on track activity, the yellow and vsc came out at the wrong time for Magnussen and Lewis, but Lewis could do more with it to make up spots. I figure Haas could have been p5 or p6 again. They need their points now before the power houses start mopping up the top 8 spots every weekend. Cars being able to follow definitely looks improved, but no judgement yet on ability to pass as this track is definitely too DRS dependent, hence the strategy of letting someone pass to get DRS on the straight and get back round easily.

Glad Mick is ok in all seriousness, that could have been really bad. Everyone remembered to avoid that kerb after that.

Zhou is earning my respect, I thought him as simply another pay driver for the Chinese audience, but he is showing talent, regardless of my opinions on China and the market. Also very respectful and good in interviews.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
80s/90s were arguably the best period for F1 and I always thought Nigel Mansell was one of the most underrated drivers of that time. I never heard much from him after quitting F1 and Indycar but this interview of him popped up on my youtube feed and is pretty cool.
It seems he did this interview to promote the sale of his F1 cars at RM Sothabys at Monaco this year, the cars themselves are pretty interesting if you're into F1.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Funniest MEME I have seen all week.... Ferrari cannot miss stepping on their dick if they wanted to..... It can argued that both Charles and Carlos can drive those cars to the front ....but the strategy from the paddock has been cringe to say the least...

Interesting on Mercedes....they are starting to sort shit out...unfortunately too late in the season to make a difference....be interesting in 2023 if they can finally dial in the new car.... first part it was bucking bronco... could not believe those drivers could drive with those vibrations...

530RL

Reaction score
Funniest MEME I have seen all week.... Ferrari cannot miss stepping on their dick if they wanted to..... It can argued that both Charles and Carlos can drive those cars to the front ....but the strategy from the paddock has been cringe to say the least...

Interesting on Mercedes....they are starting to sort shit out...unfortunately too late in the season to make a difference....be interesting in 2023 if they can finally dial in the new car.... first part it was bucking bronco... could not believe those drivers could drive with those vibrations...
Toto has remained fairly consistent in his view that a car without side pods is superior.

If they are right and figure it out, we will probably see others adopting that packaging.

It is great racing this year. Good season.

The new rules are working. Credit to Ross Brawn.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
The sport has gone so woke it's unbearable to watch. Every aspect has been hyperinjected with Gay/Transvestite/GlobalWarming/Communist bullshit.
Couldn’t agree more. It’s said that the WEF is paying these drivers to be activists.

sirbob

Reaction score
Poor Omar

Tough day or so at Alpine…

Tom Slick

Reaction score
Poor Omar

Tough day or so at Alpine…
Bring me up to speed about the Alpine drama. Why would Alonso go to Aston? Those green cars can hardly get out of their own way.

sirbob

Reaction score
Bring me up to speed about the Alpine drama. Why would Alonso go to Aston? Those green cars can hardly get out of their own way.
Alonso wanted multi year deal - they offered him one and one. When Seb dropped out it provided an opening and Alonso jumped in. Stroll is pumping a shit ton of money into the team and Alonso felt good enough about it to join.

Then as soon as Alpine announced their reserve / development driver was going to get promoted and pair with Ocon next year… he tweets, no I’m not !!

The world thinks he had a deal with Mclearan to replace Ricardo. Could D Ric end up at Alpine next year?

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
Ferrari finally explaining the strategy that cost them the win.
289073440_636054860885960_494048122843185772_n.png