WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Riding season

69hondo

Reaction score
Its getting closer. You guys ready? What do you have to work on before it gets here?
I got two bikes that need engine work. one TRX250R needs top end and my CR250 needs a bottom end.
I want to weld tabs on my from arms of the buggy for limit straps as I dont have any on the front.
Service all 8 of my buggy shocks and typical start of season buggy prep/service
Still havent finished my fuel station on the trailer.
Completely rebuilding my youngest daughters TRX 250R, New engine is on the bench. new plastics in the box and new exhaust.
20191228_160420.jpg
IMG_20200323_191043_907.jpg
77815.jpeg
20190320_073335.jpg
20200222_175904.jpg
IMG_20201009_154934_820.jpg
20201010_140349.jpg
Screenshot_20191023-070454_Instagram.jpg

69hondo

Reaction score
can

think he loves it. hes also rebuilding his boat motor unless he finished that and redoing the trailer.
Fuck no. I haven't even heard from the machine shop. Don't think I will see the water this season. My girls also do a lot of the work. They learned real early you got to work on stuff if you want to play.And if you sit still to long you die
Sounds like you need to stop with rdp and get busy ! That's a lot to do . Lol

77charger

Reaction score
Just need to revalve my shocks already know what direction to go with them just need to remove and take them apart.Think everything else is ready though. Oh an oil change on buggy too.damn hondas making me forget how to work on engines.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I want to replace a carrier bearing and probably should grease the wheel bearings but that's a pain in the ass on a sxs .

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
This will be my first season back in the desert after a long break. Bought a CanAm a couple of weeks ago but asked the owner to store it for us until October so we could get the full Speed UTV experience and pay for something we don't have for a few months. Gives me the excitement of wondering if I even bought a UTV or just gave someone a bunch of money. :) sorry, I could not resist. The car is fully prepped and waiting at the Islander for us. LOL just need new helmets.

grumpy88

Reaction score
This will be my first season back in the desert after a long break. Bought a CanAm a couple of weeks ago but asked the owner to store it for us until October so we could get the full Speed UTV experience and pay for something we don't have for a few months. Gives me the excitement of wondering if I even bought a UTV or just gave someone a bunch of money. :) sorry, I could not resist. The car is fully prepped and waiting at the Islander for us. LOL just need new helmets.
For a few bucks more they will deliver it to the neighbor with a receipt for thousands less ! Haha . Congratulations. Lots of great ridding in the winter out there . I am already talking to a river friend about going ridding .

JFMFG

Reaction score
Need to install the new Geiser bros front end kit on my can am also do the rear radius rod kit from them as well. Change fluids and we are ready to rock.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Have my rail apart, cleaning fuel cell, fuel lines, getting rid of the shit aeromotive fuel pump, last season went thru 4 a1000s and 1 eliminator
putting in Weldon
Adding more CI to the motor (stroker) and likely more boost, not that it needs it but it’s apart so why not. lol

Picked up a 07 or something yfz450 quad once it’s dialed, gonna sell it or the 660 depends what one my son wants to keep

Trailer at universal, for service, tires, adding tpms, brakes etc.

Other then that come on October we’ll be ready for glamis

69hondo

Reaction score
Have my rail apart, cleaning fuel cell, fuel lines, getting rid of the shit aeromotive fuel pump, last season went thru 4 a1000s and 1 eliminator
putting in Weldon
Adding more CI to the motor (stroker) and likely more boost, not that it needs it but it’s apart so why not. lol

Picked up a 07 or something yfz450 quad once it’s dialed, gonna sell it or the 660 depends what one my son wants to keep

Trailer at universal, for service, tires, adding tpms, brakes etc.

Other then that come on October we’ll be ready for glamis
4 A1000s? Are they just burning up?

Icky

Reaction score
Heading to St Anthony's in a few weeks to kick off the season early, then going back to river season for another month or so after that. I'll do a real prep when we get back, for now I just changed fluids and am going to mess with the wiring on my radio.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
ive been at it all summer. lol

i did the shocks at DC (re spring, re-valve, re-build)
took off trailing arms to get re powder coated
new radius rods, sway bar links, rock guards, tie rods with BSD. all that is left is fire extingquisher and seats and misc small parts (bolts and stuff)

Meaney77

Reaction score
Its getting closer. You guys ready? What do you have to work on before it gets here?
I got two bikes that need engine work. one TRX250R needs top end and my CR250 needs a bottom end.
I want to weld tabs on my from arms of the buggy for limit straps as I dont have any on the front.
Completely rebuilding my youngest daughters TRX 250R, New engine is on the bench. new plastics in the box and new exhaust.
View attachment 1142731 View attachment 1142732 View attachment 1142733 View attachment 1142735 View attachment 1142736 View attachment 1142737 View attachment 1142738 View attachment 1142739
I am still trying to get my boat on the water and haven't even thought about desert season yet! For he most part buggy is ready, i drive it around town on occasion so its not like it sits. The kids dirt bikes should be good, I really hope I dont have to rebuild any carbs and clean out any jets due to the crappy fuel these days.

Questions- Who services your shocks? Do you take them off and have them serviced or do you do the rebuild, test, tune thing out in Barstow when its available? I wouldn't mind having mine gone through for piece of mind and for someone who actually is familiar with shocks to set them up. Car drives great in the hard pack but gets eaten alive in the sandy whoops sections in Glamis.

Limit straps- What's the consensus on them? I have always had them on both of my cars. On the front end of my current car, one of the straps is at full length. A buddy of mine who also has a Dejong doesn't have them and said I should take them off to take full advantage of the front shocks. I kind of scratched my head, I haven't taken them off yet and dont want to blow apart a shock either.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Only thing left to do is fix youngest daughters quad and sell it. Then pick up ttr 110 from friends house for oldest daughter pack trailer for trip and pick a destination!

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I am still trying to get my boat on the water and haven't even thought about desert season yet! For he most part buggy is ready, i drive it around town on occasion so its not like it sits. The kids dirt bikes should be good, I really hope I dont have to rebuild any carbs and clean out any jets due to the crappy fuel these days.

Questions- Who services your shocks? Do you take them off and have them serviced or do you do the rebuild, test, tune thing out in Barstow when its available? I wouldn't mind having mine gone through for piece of mind and for someone who actually is familiar with shocks to set them up. Car drives great in the hard pack but gets eaten alive in the sandy whoops sections in Glamis.

Limit straps- What's the consensus on them? I have always had them on both of my cars. On the front end of my current car, one of the straps is at full length. A buddy of mine who also has a Dejong doesn't have them and said I should take them off to take full advantage of the front shocks. I kind of scratched my head, I haven't taken them off yet and dont want to blow apart a shock either.
Friend has a dejong with straps no complaints brother in law added straps to his fronts on a sand cars unlimited and it definitely took away a loud clunk at full drop! But some would argue that’s a problem just being band aided and something else should be addressed?

69hondo

Reaction score

Man I hope you can get out on the water. I will live the boating life through you 😆
I have done the re seal and re charge on the shocks myself but as for tuning I would definetely go with someone who knows what they are doing. If you go to glamis there are a couple guys right there in vendor that can help. I think you need to make an appointment a head of time. There may be some guys here that have better opinions/recommendations though.
Last season when I broke a front shock I had "the shock doctor in Ontario do it. He is an old buddy from high school. I dont know how good he is at tuning them as I have not had that done with him. My car was pretty setup when I bought it.
For limit straps I have never had them on the front but when I blew that shock apart everyone was saying I should have limit strap so it doesnt extend out. 🤷‍♂️

As for length I was taught you want an inch or two less than full droop.

DLC

Reaction score
Monday Installed a new trail tank in my can am 14.5 gallons instead of 10 gals

also added BRP billet seat rails to mount my PRP seats to. The stock sliders are junk!

After 4200 miles I need to remove the clutch and send it out to KWI to have it gone thru

we have some good rides planned for October - Havasu to Crown King
and
November - havasu to Kingman to Boulder City
about 1,000 miles in 2 rides!

82B632A1-08D3-42AE-B28F-E069B4BB76C4.png
E5892615-2190-46E9-B873-D0290A155B04.png

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Monday Installed a new trail tank in my can am 14.5 gallons instead of 10 gals

also added BRP billet seat rails to mount my PRP seats to. The stock sliders are junk!

After 4200 miles I need to remove the clutch and send it out to KWI to have it gone thru

we have some good rides planned for October - Havasu to Crown King
and
November - havasu to Kingman to Boulder City
about 1,000 miles in 2 rides!

View attachment 1142960 View attachment 1142961
I didn't even see you taking any pictures!!

Reactions: DLC

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
4 A1000s? Are they just burning up?
Aeromotives seem to be just shit, 2 burnt up from what we thought was debris in fuel cell. the other 2 burnt up same way, debris in filters. We’ve determined the pumps are eating themselves up, literally sending metal into the post filter with pre filter clean. Clogging injectors etc… starving a boosted motor for fuel is not good. Lol

69hondo

Reaction score
Aeromotives seem to be just shit, 2 burnt up from what we thought was debris in fuel cell. the other 2 burnt up same way, debris in filters. We’ve determined the pumps are eating themselves up, literally sending metal into the post filter with pre filter clean. Clogging injectors etc… starving a boosted motor for fuel is not good. Lol
LOL no not at all. I run the A1000 in the procharged boat so got me a little concerned.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
LOL no not at all. I run the A1000 in the procharged boat so got me a little concerned.
Ya it sounds like its newer units are shit, oh and in the dunes they’re about 800 a pop, so makes it even more fun, lol

lower boost likely not needed all the fuel pressure, full boost twin turbo needs 60+ psi, that’s where they become unhappy and eat themselves up

EmpirE231

Reaction score
can't wait!!

need to service the CV's on the rail, and hopefully rebuild the hubs. change all fluids.... new windshield glass... and should be GTG there

gotta tinker with the kids quads, maybe even find another TRX250 or even 450.

69hondo

Reaction score
can't wait!!

need to service the CV's on the rail, and hopefully rebuild the hubs. change all fluids.... new windshield glass... and should be GTG there

gotta tinker with the kids quads, maybe even find another TRX250 or even 450.
Have you gotten to take the little buggy out yet?

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Have you gotten to take the little buggy out yet?
not yet! didn't make it out to Dumont once last season unfortunately which is where I would take it. Gonna try to get it out this season, and also the oldschool buggy roundup in Glamis.

last year we didn't get our motorhome until late December... as of now, we still have the moho, trailer and toys... so I'm really hoping on having more trips this season

69hondo

Reaction score
Nice my brother had a red one all decked out with bills pipe, nerf bars, and a host of other mods! Fun quads! This was before the rims tires upgrade and not my brother on the quad. View attachment 1144666

Thats cool man. We love the old 250R, when I was little I could only dream of having one. We have 3 now LOL. I put my girls on theirs when each one turned 11 and they ride the shit out of them. 18 and 16 now.

Supercup

Reaction score
I am ready - been to Mammoth and BIg Bear this summer to keep everything in good running order - but man the dust clean up for days makes me really look forward to Dunes season - just did 100 hour servcie on RZR and nut and bolted entire machine - it is ready to roll for the season! Until then - get ready for a trip to the Sand Show to pick up dunes permit - then out there first weekend it is not too hot. Also planning to hit UTV takeover at Sand Hollow in October - heading out for a week, so be there 5 days before it starts. Good fun!

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Doing some body upgrades on my rail this year. Did the roof and windshield last year. The wife wanted the side a little higher and I wanted to change up the front end and cage area to bring the car up to date a little. Pretty excited to see it finished but its going to be a mad crunch to get it painted and back together before Halloween. I was planning to pull the engine and trans so I can have the trans opened and gone through just to make sure its good to go but we'll see if I can make that happen

IMG_7737.JPG

IMG_7738.JPG
IMG_7708.JPG
IMG_7709.JPG

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
New fuel sending unit for the old CJ. 27 bux at summit. ✔️
14 psi front, 10 psi rear. ✔️
Mount spare on 10 wide rim, to do.
Add a quart. ✔️

Dan'l

Gelcoater

Reaction score
View attachment 1142731 View attachment 1142732 View attachment 1142733 View attachment 1142735 View attachment 1142736 View attachment 1142737 View attachment 1142738 View attachment 1142739
My wife’s 87 TRX needs a top end as well.
Who do you use for boring and machine work and pistons, rings gaskets etc?

So far I know of one inland empire shop I Won’t ! be using, lol.

@RaceTec here on the boards is kinda far from home traffic wise but I know I’ll get quality work and parts in return. Is likely who I’ll go through.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I am ready - been to Mammoth and BIg Bear this summer to keep everything in good running order - but man the dust clean up for days makes me really look forward to Dunes season - just did 100 hour servcie on RZR and nut and bolted entire machine - it is ready to roll for the season! Until then - get ready for a trip to the Sand Show to pick up dunes permit - then out there first weekend it is not too hot. Also planning to hit UTV takeover at Sand Hollow in October - heading out for a week, so be there 5 days before it starts. Good fun!

Where did you go in big bear we are talking about going in September we have a group of Rzrs

Icky

Reaction score
Cleaned up my spare cvs from the 24 hour recovery of my friend last season
20220814_170424.jpg

69hondo

Reaction score
My wife’s 87 TRX needs a top end as well.
Who do you use for boring and machine work and pistons, rings gaskets etc?

So far I know of one inland empire shop I Won’t ! be using, lol.

@RaceTec here on the boards is kinda far from home traffic wise but I know I’ll get quality work and parts in return. Is likely who I’ll go through.
I use a guy in Oakhills/Phelan. He works out of his house and has been doing it for years. Dont know where you are or if it is worth making the trek up the cajon pass.
Doing some body upgrades on my rail this year. Did the roof and windshield last year. The wife wanted the side a little higher and I wanted to change up the front end and cage area to bring the car up to date a little. Pretty excited to see it finished but its going to be a mad crunch to get it painted and back together before Halloween. I was planning to pull the engine and trans so I can have the trans opened and gone through just to make sure its good to go but we'll see if I can make that happen

View attachment 1145414
View attachment 1145415 View attachment 1145416 View attachment 1145417
looks good man.

Supercup

Reaction score
Where did you go in big bear we are talking about going in September we have a group of Rzrs

We went to Pilot Rock (at Silverwood Lake) and ran a bunch of trails in that area - pretty busy on the weekends - but not to bad during the week. below is a link to the staging area on google maps and a 2nd link to trail maps of the area - just cover the green dot with your cursor and it will show trail in red - plus lots of offshoot trails you can take.

Staging Area link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...5cc575228a336!8m2!3d34.3051445!4d-117.3105739

Area Trail Map: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/u...572521881&mobileMap=true&a[]=off-road-driving

jailbird141

Reaction score
Picked this little 1984 gem up for cheap.
Wasn't running and the seat vinyl was shot.
Spent a day cleaning the gas tank out, new fuel lines, carb rebuild, new spark plug, oil change and recovered the seat.
Runs like it's brand new. Cleanest looking, stock ATC 70 I have come across.
Best part, I learned to ride on a 1984 ATC 70 just like this.

Attachments

• ATC 70-2.jpeg
    ATC 70-2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • ATC 70-1.jpeg
    ATC 70-1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Should be finishing up some comm stuff next month. First trip outside of havasu will be Sand Hollow. Planned out a pretty epic trip I think.

The havasu trails have been pretty much washed out with the recent monsoons, but we have been able to crawl over and get thru everything so far.

0CD18B67-6773-4F10-B1DC-A9E3F22A9D7E.jpeg
16BC10BD-1C63-4034-B834-A1CDBCA9E1F7.jpeg

Last edited:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Should be finishing up some comm stuff next month. First trip outside of havasu will be Sand Hollow. Planned out a pretty epic trip I think.

The havasu trails have been pretty much washed out with the recent monsoons, but we have been able to crawl over and thru everything so far.

View attachment 1149448 View attachment 1149450
when r u going to sand hollow?

Supercup

Reaction score
Oct 16-19, leaving the day the "UTV Takeover" starts and heading to another location for remainder of the weekend.

I will be there from the 14th - 22nd - parking in West Side camp ground - space 22- out of the UTV takeover frey - but close enough to enjoy the show!

If you want another car to ride with let me know. Here is what my set up looks like.

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I may or may not have a car by then. Maybe we can set up a meet up or something when we get a little closer.