WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Vegas-Reno Race

Xring01

Reaction score
42446B0D-D3A3-4AB3-8762-69CAC8908CAF.jpeg
0577BC94-9A81-4648-AD29-C5DF6A608816.jpeg
84EC2384-0AB6-41BA-A674-41FBBA87D930.jpeg
1F1A28CA-64D2-4FB0-B72E-8DD3B62AF088.jpeg

I happen to live about 1 mile from the “Rodeo” where this race ends, which is actually in Dayton NV.

I just rode up the mountain about 15 miles and back, which is the last 15 miles of the Vegas-Reno race. Owe, we saw a black bear… it was literally black, and I know some “brown” bears can be black, so I am calling what I saw,,, a black bear…

And a huge golden eagle. Nope, didnt have time for pictures of either.

Next friday is the race, from what I hear.. the best of best arrive about 5 hours after take of. Meaning they are averaging 100mph for 5 hours = 500 miles….

You know where I will be friday around lunch time… watching the ending of the race… one the side of mountain…

mothershipper

Reaction score
I finished that race in 2005 in the dark. Our light would not work on the XR650 and it was dark AF coming down that mountain. From what iv'e been told there are some pretty big drop offs on side of the course coming down but I would not know cause I couldn't see anything. Always was a fun race to be a part of. Raced it a couple of times and chased for my brother ( Primecut ) a few more. We did the first one that Casey put on in 96'.

Xring01

Reaction score
I just got into the side x side world recently…
I might try to make this trip next year..

I will not be “racing” but would love to make that drive and be a part of it. Wonder if thats an option… Just cruise it And enjoy the desert.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I raced V2R a few times and finished once. I raced V2R "The Long Way," and it was simply the most difficult thing I ever did in desert racing. Three days of racing in that heat was terrible. I think we smoked a dozen fuel pumps. Casey sure was a great promoter. I can't say that without recognizing Dianne. She was equally as awesome as Casey.

I think my Son is planning to race this year; I guess I need to call him; I'm a bad Dad because I think he is racing this weekend in Sturgis.

Racing is a bad habit. I don't suggest it. :)

Singleton

Reaction score
I will be supporting the Veterans Racing Alliance teams. Good desert friend founded the alliance last year.

mothershipper

Reaction score
I raced V2R a few times and finished once. I raced V2R "The Long Way," and it was simply the most difficult thing I ever did in desert racing. Three days of racing in that heat was terrible. I think we smoked a dozen fuel pumps. Casey sure was a great promoter. I can't say that without recognizing Dianne. She was equally as awesome as Casey.

I think my Son is planning to race this year; I guess I need to call him; I'm a bad Dad because I think he is racing this weekend in Sturgis.

Racing is a bad habit. I don't suggest it. :)
Diane was a sweetheart. I sure do miss those two. I'd go into Sportsman Cycle and end up in an hour long conversation with Casey. The knowledge that he had about the Nevada desert and racing was incredible. I've been involved with putting on races since 97' and could not hold a candle to what he could do.

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
Chased with collins one time. Had to been maybe 06ish. I believe they were still prepping for Baldwin at the time. We were following the class 8,had a bit of trouble. Remember it being about a 16/18 hr day. Good times at least. At one point Brian’s gf at the time came down in the helicopter. Whole nother ball game in those trophy classes.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Diane was a sweetheart. I sure do miss those two. I'd go into Sportsman Cycle and end up in an hour long conversation with Casey. The knowledge that he had about the Nevada desert and racing was incredible. I've been involved with putting on races since 97' and could not hold a candle to what he could do.
I really admired him. One of my favorite stories about Casey and a proud moment for me happened in the dinner line at the Off-Road Hall of Fame induction dinner one year. I was standing in line with a couple of people behind where he was holding court. He turned back and grabbed me, pulled me forward, and told the audience I was the best promoter he knew.

I was embarrassed and said I learned from watching him. He quickly added that What made me different was that I invented something new. He was talking about King of the Hammers and Ultra4. I will never forget that memory because his audience was all my heroes.

I can't recall the year, but He asked me to write the rule book for Class 3000, which I was racing at the time for a guy named Carl Scanlon. Pistol Pete was also invested in that class with his BajaLite trucks. I was struggling to balance all the various personalities, lobbying, and requests. Casey told me in a phone conversation to screw everyone and write them in a way that made sense to me because they will all cheat no matter what. It was a fantastic lesson I often use when managing multiple personalities.

Last story; I remember exactly where I was when we settled on Ultra4 as a class. I was building the Elephant Bar in Lake Forest when he called me and said the time was up and I needed to settle on a name for this KOH racing. He wanted to just call them King of The Hammers cars, but Dave and I wanted to build a brand around the racing class. I told him Ultra4, and his quick response was that I was stupid because People would think UltraLite, which was a slow plane that crashed a lot. I laughed and said that I agreed and that the name made perfect sense. We crash a lot.

I miss talking with him.

mothershipper

Reaction score
I really admired him. One of my favorite stories about Casey and a proud moment for me happened in the dinner line at the Off-Road Hall of Fame induction dinner one year. I was standing in line with a couple of people behind where he was holding court. He turned back and grabbed me, pulled me forward, and told the audience I was the best promoter he knew.

I was embarrassed and said I learned from watching him. He quickly added that What made me different was that I invented something new. He was talking about King of the Hammers and Ultra4. I will never forget that memory because his audience was all my heroes.

I can't recall the year, but He asked me to write the rule book for Class 3000, which I was racing at the time for a guy named Carl Scanlon. Pistol Pete was also invested in that class with his BajaLite trucks. I was struggling to balance all the various personalities, lobbying, and requests. Casey told me in a phone conversation to screw everyone and write them in a way that made sense to me because they will all cheat no matter what. It was a fantastic lesson I often use when managing multiple personalities.

Last story; I remember exactly where I was when we settled on Ultra4 as a class. I was building the Elephant Bar in Lake Forest when he called me and said the time was up and I needed to settle on a name for this KOH racing. He wanted to just call them King of The Hammers cars, but Dave and I wanted to build a brand around the racing class. I told him Ultra4, and his quick response was that I was stupid because People would think UltraLite, which was a slow plane that crashed a lot. I laughed and said that I agreed and that the name made perfect sense. We crash a lot.

I miss talking with him.
I truly miss talking with him too and all the advice from him. We lost a lot with him passing. But at least he went out doing what he loved. It never seemed to amaze me that with how busy the guy was that he always had the time or would make the time to talk to people like us.....

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score

I miss talking with him.
Casey was awesome and always made us feel welcome. He was definitely one of the best off-road promoters and is truly missed.

I had trophylite #4 and I participated in the spirited arguments with Pistol and others about class 3000 rules. Kind of reminds me of the Speed threads here on RDP. Those were good times and was especially fun when trophylite and 3000 raced together. Golf carts have killed that and soon class 10.

Xring01

Reaction score
Love the history lesson,
Keep the storys coming.

Not all people appreciate the desert.

Damn, I find beauty everywhere in the desert. Which is truly why I rode dirtbikes forever. Yes, about to sell my beloved KTM300xcw to recoup the funds spent on the KRX1000.

Climbing a mountain, seeing the views… or today… a bear and golden eagle…. BTW.. I cant back this up, or have I researched it on the internet.. Damn…golden eagles are huge… I think on average, they are larger than bald eagles. The last couple I have Seen, had to have 7ft wing spans… seriously, they are huge.

I doubt I will ever race again, but I truly enjoy being out there.

mothershipper

Reaction score
Speaking of sportsman cycle. I bought my first “big” bike from them. 1997 ktm 360…. Still have it. 1750$. And it was all I could afford.
My buddy owns Sportsman Cycle now. He's taking over the side that was Nevada Suzuki and will be moving the shop there before the end of the year, More room on that side.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Someone gave you some bad info, from Beatty to Daytong, is going to take the top guys at least 10 hours. Thats at about a 50mph average, and thats really fast. I'd expect most folks in the lead to be in the 12 hour range.

Next friday is the race, from what I hear.. the best of best arrive about 5 hours after take of. Meaning they are averaging 100mph for 5 hours = 500 miles….

You know where I will be friday around lunch time… watching the ending of the race… one the side of mountain…

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
My Son will be racing in V2R this week. He took the car number I ran V2R the long way as his number for his first race. 4471 Copart sponsored Ultra4 car he built at Trent Fabrication.

The weather made a mess of the course; the BITD team has had a lot of work this week.

Singleton

Reaction score
Qualifying tomorrow will be fun, with 2 at a time
Then due to rain the following is occurring to the course
  1. Race starts in Bonnie Claire, instead of Beatty and race to Tonopah
  2. vehicles will then transfer to Millers, avoiding impassable water between Tonopah and Millers
  3. race teams have to set a time to load and transfer to Millers
  4. restart from Millers and race to the finish in Dayton

renodaytona

Reaction score
Used to chase this race for the Murray brothers. This year the race is completely different due to all of the rain and standing water on the mapped course. Changes noted above by @Singleton reduce the mileage considerably.

mothershipper

Reaction score
This is unfortunate, but having 90% or more of the race vehicles stuck in a now not so dry lake bed would really suck. The course between Tonopah and Millers does have some spots that could be really bad with a lot of water. The start moving to Bonnie Claire is a good move too, that flat leading into that pit would be horrible with all the water. In 96' we started under the railroad crossing by the I15 coming into Vegas.

wallnutz

Reaction score
My Son will be racing in V2R this week. He took the car number I ran V2R the long way as his number for his first race. 4471 Copart sponsored Ultra4 car he built at Trent Fabrication.

The weather made a mess of the course; the BITD team has had a lot of work this week.
I saw him yesterday. He was a few trucks ahead of my son, who is codawg in a 6100. Race should be interesting having to load up on a trailer after starting. Then driving 30 miles and unloading.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I'm pretty emotional right now. My kid won the Ultra4 class. The cherry was he called and said he had a BFG winners hat in his hand. I chased that damn hat my whole race career and always came up short, sometimes by only seconds. He also did this with the OG numberplate 4471 from my V2R the long ay effort.

Backlash

Reaction score
I'm pretty emotional right now. My kid won the Ultra4 class. The cherry was he called and said he had a BFG winners hat in his hand. I chased that damn hat my whole race career and always came up short, sometimes by only seconds. He also did this with the OG numberplate 4471 from my V2R the long ay effort.
Congratulations!!!

Xring01

Reaction score
I watched the race from a mountain top at about mile 495… from 1pm, till dark.

Got some video footage of the first trophy truck to finish, with a black helicopter filming him.. That copter literally flew right by me..stupid close. This is the first rider to finish… a Dirt Bike. He came thru at 1:10pm if my memory is correct
4D7109A7-752A-43E6-BB8F-C0C785324881.jpeg