WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ever had PD and Fire Dept called on your “Gross Polluter”?

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Full disclosure I did it all wrong. 🤦🏽‍♂️🤣🤣

So I got the bright idea after running out of throttle last weekend to “tune the boat up”. I put on a new Maximus 28p and the boat ran with the best slip I had ever experienced but plateaued at 5k which was a bit low for my est. 850hp according to myself.

I spent about 30+\- minutes on the hose making my 540ci with 8/71 blower and dual 950 Quick Fuel carbs into a pile of shit on Friday morning. I screwed with the throttle blades and like an idiot got too far out of wack with the duals because I wasn’t thinking about the fact they were both connected by throttle linkage. I tuned it up for best vacuum on my vacuum/boost manifold gauge. Again after the blower instead of before and without real thought to the fact that blower motors don’t match what the “YouTube professionals” talk about. When I did launch at Windsor it looked like I was driving a diesel and I’m pretty sure Greta would have thrown herself on my prop to keep me from running my boat.

I pulled into the channel just barely struggling along at an idle and upon beaching began to undo my shit show at the beach nearest to Windsor. Adjusting idle screws and throttle stops until I got to a semi manageable point where I was confident I could at least drive my boat. During this time a guy 30 feet or so down the beach came over and started to interview me. I kept it general and told him I had mechaniced myself into a dilemma and was currently trying to fix it so I didn’t have a bunch of time to talk engine specifics. Just as I Almost had the soot belching dragon tamed down when a woman in his party came over to tell me the exhaust was burning her eyes. I apologized and informed her that just a few minutes more would have me in a spot where I could shut down my coal fired power plant and apologized for the exhaust.

About 10 minutes later I was finally relaxing in the channel drinking a beer and PD and FD showed up next to my boat (flagged down frantically by the people down the beach.) PD informed me that “someone had called 911 to let them know that an orange and white Domn8er was belching smoke on fire and leaking oil. I apologized while telling them it was most likely me they had been called for and explained how I had completely screwed up my tuning. I told them “I know the people next to me had come over so I was the most likely cause” even though I wasn’t leaking anything but my color fit the description. 15 minutes later and I’m having to run my boat and rev it for the police and fire because the asshole next to me keeps chirping to the cops and wants me to end up with a ticket. HPD and HFD both tell me it looks like I have the boat adjusted but the complainants are sure that I’m the lake Havasu version of Exxon-Valdez. They advise me to not drink too much since the asshole who I’ve seen for 30 minutes and drank one beer in front of after tuning my carbs also informs them they should field test me since I wouldn’t talk to him about my engine and must be drunk. The whole ordeal left me apologizing for being a waste of resources and my wife talking shit for the next hour about any boat or Seadoo that had the least bit of smoke and how the Karen’s next to us should call the cops before something bad happened.

Anyone else have experience? 🤣🤣🤣😬

P.S. my wife is still talking shit about my dumbass messing with the carbs but it’s almost running perfect again 🤷🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️😂😂

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Back in my mechanic days, GM had an issue where engines would get carboned up and the solution was to use a decarbon liquid which would smoke like hell as you poured it in. I mean you were basically pouring it in at a rate just short of hydrolocking the engine. I loved it, smoke everywhere, fire department called etc. It paid one hour and worked great. Sales department hated it.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I've tuned Holleys, but not blower motors. If I was there, I'd ask if you need a hand. And then if you needed a beer.

A great wordsmith too.
Fuck the Karens and Kevins.

"Coal fired power plant"
Fuckin' hilarious

Glad you got it sorted out, mostly.

I was wrapping up the motor install on my day cruiser, but was lacking a water temp sender. Two random failed senders later, I pulled one out of my lil bötè.

Later that week, I decided to take the dog for a lil bötè ride. Normally I back it off the trailer, but that day I was single handing, and with the dog, so I float it off and tie up at the end of the dock. Then parked the truck, easy peasy.

Dog riding shotgun, untied, shoved off and away we went.
For a minute.
Maybe 45 seconds.

The missing sending unit port is sending water straight up, like old faithful, and hitting the top of the Dooley scoop, and now I'm ingesting water down the carb...ah fawk.
Berkeley pumps a hellova lot of water at 3000 rpm
Quick shut the motor off... now I'm at the mercy of the Colorado River just south of Bullhead community park.
With the dog.

Luckily I found a random ⅜" bushing, and a quarter inch bolt and washers long enough to plug the bushing and hand tightened it in.
Motor fired easily enough, ran a bit rough for a minute or 2.
Found a beach a ways down, about behind Safeway, and checked on my MacGyver patch.

It lasted all day, or at least to Needles and back

Dan'l

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Back in my mechanic days, GM had an issue where engines would get carboned up and the solution was to use a decarbon liquid which would smoke like hell as you poured it in. I mean you were basically pouring it in at a rate just short of hydrolocking the engine. I loved it, smoke everywhere, fire department called etc. It paid one hour and worked great. Sales department hated it.
I almost forgot about those old BG kits. They must have ordered them by the pallet we went through so many. 😂

Taboma

Reaction score
I almost forgot about those old BG kits. They must have ordered them by the pallet we went through so many. 😂
In the 60's dad and I used water in a similar manner. At least the smoke was white and mostly water vapor as I recall.
Carbon and lead build up was the nemesis of the leaded gas, more so with our flathead boat engines running them at altitude where they tended to run on the rich side and valve jobs during the winter layup was more routine maintenance.

"Sorry officer, yes, I realize I was speeding, but not racing, was just blowing out the carbon" was a rather common phrase in those days. 😂

4Waters

Reaction score
I've tuned Holleys, but not blower motors. If I was there, I'd ask if you need a hand. And then if you needed a beer.

A great wordsmith too.
Fuck the Karens and Kevins.

"Coal fired power plant"
Fuckin' hilarious

Glad you got it sorted out, mostly.

I was wrapping up the motor install on my day cruiser, but was lacking a water temp sender. Two random failed senders later, I pulled one out of my lil bötè.

Later that week, I decided to take the dog for a lil bötè ride. Normally I back it off the trailer, but that day I was single handing, and with the dog, so I float it off and tie up at the end of the dock. Then parked the truck, easy peasy.

Dog riding shotgun, untied, shoved off and away we went.
For a minute.
Maybe 45 seconds.

The missing sending unit port is sending water straight up, like old faithful, and hitting the top of the Dooley scoop, and now I'm ingesting water down the carb...ah fawk.
Berkeley pumps a hellova lot of water at 3000 rpm
Quick shut the motor off... now I'm at the mercy of the Colorado River just south of Bullhead community park.
With the dog.

Luckily I found a random ⅜" bushing, and a quarter inch bolt and washers long enough to plug the bushing and hand tightened it in.
Motor fired easily enough, ran a bit rough for a minute or 2.
Found a beach a ways down, about behind Safeway, and checked on my MacGyver patch.

It lasted all day, or at least to Needles and back

Dan'l
Same, I would have helped as well

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I don't do well when I am busy fixing my own shit on the fly or in an emergency, I'm very aggressive and "leave me the fuck alone", you are much nicer than I would have been lol.

Glad you got it sorted out, more than ever, people need to be reminded to mind their own fucking business unless they are trying to help.

Calling every agency to get you in trouble should have gotten them fucking tickets for wasting public resources.

Fuck every Karen and Kevin.

4Waters

Reaction score
I don't do well when I am busy fixing my own shit on the fly or in an emergency, I'm very aggressive and "leave me the fuck alone", you are much nicer than I would have been lol.

Glad you got it sorted out, more than ever, people need to be reminded to mind their own fucking business unless they are trying to help.

Calling every agency to get you in trouble should have gotten them fucking tickets for wasting public resources.

Fuck every Karen and Kevin.
I wonder if Karen and Kevin are members

poncho

Reaction score
It was called GM Top Engine Cleaner and I thought it was a gift from God, my friends were like what the hell did you do to my motor?

hman442

Reaction score
Those were the days !
Screenshot_20220807-103434_eBay.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score
It would not have changed my response! 😝

Assholes and busy bodies are everywhere these days it seems, I treat them all the same - zero fucks given.
I wouldn't expect you to, douche move on their part for sure

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I sold everything in the lower river to go towards Havasu next year. After reading this, I think I need to just get away from Californians all together. I'd hate to invest in another place full of Karen's and libs.

attitude

Reaction score
I sold everything in the lower river to go towards Havasu next year. After reading this, I think I need to just get away from Californians all together. I'd hate to invest in another place full of Karen's and libs.
I haven’t been to the lower river in about 5 years but I can’t imagine it has anywhere close to the Karen’s and libs Havasu has?

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I'm originally from the midwest and lived on a busy lake
Can you imagine the amount of phone calls when everyone was fogging their motors for winter storage?

Orange Juice

Reaction score

So I got the bright idea after running out of throttle last weekend to “tune the boat up”. I put on a new Maximus 28p and the boat ran with the best slip I had ever experienced but plateaued at 5k which was a bit low for my est. 850hp according to myself.

I spent about 30+\- minutes on the hose making my 540ci with 8/71 blower and dual 950 Quick Fuel carbs into a pile of shit on Friday morning. I screwed with the throttle blades and like an idiot got too far out of wack with the duals because I wasn’t thinking about the fact they were both connected by throttle linkage. I tuned it up for best vacuum on my vacuum/boost manifold gauge. Again after the blower instead of before and without real thought to the fact that blower motors don’t match what the “YouTube professionals” talk about. When I did launch at Windsor it looked like I was driving a diesel and I’m pretty sure Greta would have thrown herself on my prop to keep me from running my boat.

I pulled into the channel just barely struggling along at an idle and upon beaching began to undo my shit show at the beach nearest to Windsor. Adjusting idle screws and throttle stops until I got to a semi manageable point where I was confident I could at least drive my boat. During this time a guy 30 feet or so down the beach came over and started to interview me. I kept it general and told him I had mechaniced myself into a dilemma and was currently trying to fix it so I didn’t have a bunch of time to talk engine specifics. Just as I Almost had the soot belching dragon tamed down when a woman in his party came over to tell me the exhaust was burning her eyes. I apologized and informed her that just a few minutes more would have me in a spot where I could shut down my coal fired power plant and apologized for the exhaust.

About 10 minutes later I was finally relaxing in the channel drinking a beer and PD and FD showed up next to my boat (flagged down frantically by the people down the beach.) PD informed me that “someone had called 911 to let them know that an orange and white Domn8er was belching smoke on fire and leaking oil. I apologized while telling them it was most likely me they had been called for and explained how I had completely screwed up my tuning. I told them “I know the people next to me had come over so I was the most likely cause” even though I wasn’t leaking anything but my color fit the description. 15 minutes later and I’m having to run my boat and rev it for the police and fire because the asshole next to me keeps chirping to the cops and wants me to end up with a ticket. HPD and HFD both tell me it looks like I have the boat adjusted but the complainants are sure that I’m the lake Havasu version of Exxon-Valdez. They advise me to not drink too much since the asshole who I’ve seen for 30 minutes and drank one beer in front of after tuning my carbs also informs them they should field test me since I wouldn’t talk to him about my engine and must be drunk. The whole ordeal left me apologizing for being a waste of resources and my wife talking shit for the next hour about any boat or Seadoo that had the least bit of smoke and how the Karen’s next to us should call the cops before something bad happened.

P.S. my wife is still talking shit about my dumbass messing with the carbs but it’s almost running perfect again 🤷🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️😂😂

Not the best place to work on your shit. Looks like you pissed off a bunch of people. 😉

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
they lied to have the cops and fire department respond? I don’t know if I could have held my shit together.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Would have been better to put it back on the trailer but not pulled it completely out and ran it on the trailer (in the water enough for cooling pickup) while you tuned it. Might have been less of an attention getter and then any complainers you could have addressed by telling them it needed to be tuned in the water and the launch ramp was the easiest access to water.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I haven’t been to the lower river in about 5 years but I can’t imagine it has anywhere close to the Karen’s and libs Havasu has?

Lots of meth and other drugs. Not interested in trying to raise my son around that. The river used to be a different place. Yeah, our parents drank, but it was about memories, family and having a good time....maybe some drag racing at dusk. Not anymore!

attitude

Reaction score
Lots of meth and other drugs. Not interested in trying to raise my son around that. The river used to be a different place. Yeah, our parents drank, but it was about memories, family and having a good time....maybe some drag racing at dusk. Not anymore!
Man that sucks, I’ve been craving going back down there lately, that’s where I have some of my best memories growing up.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Hope nothing like this goes down during our wedding in October. Definitely don't need that day ruined.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I didn’t get an invite so you’re pretty safe at this point

76 Southwind

Reaction score
No mention of a squirt gun in this thread yet. Sounds like you could have used one.. LOL

TrollerDave

Reaction score

1659979768140.jpeg

1659979846566.jpeg

😂😂