WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AC at the House is TOAST

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I'll keep it short. AC is 17 years old and done. Quote for complete replacement with an American Standard, 16 Seer, 4 ton unit is 14k (2100 sq ft house). We had all the ducts in the attic replaced a few years ago and they are all good.

Does that sound about right? We like our AC guy, he has been very good to us, but 14k is a lot of money at the moment.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Friend had a quote for a replacement on a house of 1200 square feet and off brand at $10K.

Reactions: t&y

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Talk to riberbound about a vrv system. Or at least for all your options. I know you said you like your guy. but. From my experience he will not steer you wrong.
As said it’s all expensive. And my VRV system fell between the 2 14 seer 3 ton and 2 16 seer 3 ton on my house.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I also am assuming that is a new handler/heater in the attic or garage as well. Correct?

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
My coils are rusty and the guy just told me about that price. Bought it new but these fucking people who regulate ac stuff are assholes. They keep changing the freon shit every 15 years so you got to buy a whole new system. I cannot just buy the coils for mine no more. Damn tree hugger shit

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I'll keep it short. AC is 17 years old and done. Quote for complete replacement with an American Standard, 16 Seer, 4 ton unit is 14k (2100 sq ft house). We had all the ducts in the attic replaced a few years ago and they are all good.

Does that sound about right? We like our AC guy, he has been very good to us, but 14k is a lot of money at the moment.
Price isn’t too bad for that system. But be aware trane (American standard) went to aluminum coils a few years ago and have a VERY high failure rate. I would advise going with full copper coils.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I also am assuming that is a new handler/heater in the attic or garage as well. Correct?
Yeah, Compressor is outside, coil and heater inside. Complete system with new plenum install and all the necessary lines and routing. We have been putting bandaids on this system for the last 5-6 years. It was 5100 cash complete the first time around. Our guys said his costs have risen almost 40% over this last year for parts etc. He is the guy that will roll night or day and does extra stuff for us. He's been real good, I'm assuming like Riverbound. I guess it's just a bit of sticker shock. I could really use that 14k somewhere else right now but that is what makes life interesting I guess.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
My coils are rusty and the guy just told me about that price. Bought it new but these fucking people who regulate ac stuff are assholes. They keep changing the freon shit every 15 years so you got to buy a whole new system. I cannot just buy the coils for mine no more. Damn tree hugger shit
Those people who regulate AC refrigeraant are your lovely government. It’s theirs regulations that keep changing things.

R-22 phased out. Replaced by r-410 and I know they are working on eventually phasing out R-410 but currently there is no agreed on replacement. So not something to worry about too much yet.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Those people who regulate AC refrigeraant are your lovely government. It’s theirs regulations that keep changing things.

R-22 phased out. Replaced by r-410 and I know they are working on eventually phasing out R-410 but currently there is no agreed on replacement. So not something to worry about too much yet.
What was was wrong with R-12?That’s the last freon I remember. lol. So if my ac takes a shit and they installed a 410 system in 5 years that will be illegal? 😡

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Just had an estimate for the neighbor's house. It's a smaller unit maybe 2 ton?
Fan is bad and he said $600 for fan motor plus labor. Didn't think they were that much
He said system is over 20 years old. $4200 to replace everything and in attic
We're having a 2 ton unit with coils installed at our Williams home. It's stubbed for air. $3950.
And he is driving from Havasu to install it
Resized_20220808_095025(1).jpg

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Price isn’t too bad for that system. But be aware trane (American standard) went to aluminum coils a few years ago and have a VERY high failure rate. I would advise going with full copper coils.
I know there is a lot extra that goes into that system. So if not American Standard who do you go with for an equivalent?

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Fan is bad and he said $600 for fan motor plus labor. Didn't think they were that much
We're having a 2 ton unit with coils installed at our Williams home. It's stubbed for air. $3950.
View attachment 1144416
The fan alone (without checking) is probably 175-200 online. So 400 labor. But I’m trying nowadays to respect the drive time. Company overhead and profit. So it isn’t really just 400 labor.

Sherpa

Reaction score
16 seer 4 ton condensing unit is 7 grand? with evap unit? since your old stuff is R22, and this is R410A, new lineset, evap coil, condensing unit. is that really 7 grand?

if you're replacing the whole furnace and AC I'd go Carrier performance series. and use a 19seer or so condensing unit.......

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I know there is a lot extra that goes into that system. So if not American Standard who do you go with for an equivalent?
For traditional equipment we do Amana and some Lennox. Our 16 seer Amana comes with lifetime unit replacement warranties so it’s a no brainer why most go that route.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
View attachment 1144416
Who is doing this? I am going to need a new system in havasu probably this winter.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 1144416
AZ pricing that’s not horrible for a condenser.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Yeah, Compressor is outside, coil and heater inside. Complete system with new plenum install and all the necessary lines and routing. We have been putting bandaids on this system for the last 5-6 years. It was 5100 cash complete the first time around. Our guys said his costs have risen almost 40% over this last year for parts etc. He is the guy that will roll night or day and does extra stuff for us. He's been real good, I'm assuming like Riverbound. I guess it's just a bit of sticker shock. I could really use that 14k somewhere else right now but that is what makes life interesting I guess.
When my AC unit went out about 5 years ago. The AC company (Carrier ?) offered low down no interest for 18 months.

Maybe @Riverbound has something similar.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Are you crazy... It's 91 in my house right now. My balls are not happy!😂
My AC died Summer of 2020. With supply chain and Covid, I went 7 weeks with no AC. We had 3 hear waves of over 110 for days in a row. The hottest was 114. It was miserable.

Hope you get it replaced quickly.

chevy

Reaction score
Just had Air Control do a 14 seer Trane 3 weeks ago here in Havasu $11,150 installed, but we nursed the last one for 25yrs lol

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Are you crazy... It's 91 in my house right now. My balls are not happy!😂
😂

You know where you screwed up there, copper?

Redundant systems😉

AC goes out in the House?
Call “the guy” and until then, go move a couple things around in the garage and set the AC.
15CD092F-27EB-4097-BE9F-418F55D7441F.jpeg

Turn on the TV and grab a beer out of the fridge.😎
Dragging the couch out there is optional 👍

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I know it’s a bummer when the unexpected happens. So maybe this will help you feel better.

My daughter just replaced the complete A/C system in her 1900sf Phoenix home for 18k. They did offer financing. My wife and I were a little disappointed that we learned all this after the fact, because we thought 18k was very high. In fact, sticker shock comes to mind.

As a comparison, My wife and I replaced the Air handler and condenser of our condo unit last year. It was 6k.

I wish you the best.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
We're getting ready for an addition, master BR and Den, and I'm seriously looking a mini split systems. Damn things are so efficient and your only cooling/heating the room your in/needed.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We're getting ready for an addition, master BR and Den, and I'm seriously looking a mini split systems. Damn things are so efficient and your only cooling/heating the room your in/needed.
When I can buy a house again, I'm going all out and getting a ducted VRF system. They are just so damn efficient, and I know a guy that can handle it. Lol!

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I know it’s a bummer when the unexpected happens. So maybe this will help you feel better.

My daughter just replaced the complete A/C system in her 1900sf Phoenix home for 18k. They did offer financing. My wife and I were a little disappointed that we learned all this after the fact, because we thought 18k was very high. In fact, sticker shock comes to mind.

As a comparison, My wife and I replaced the Air handler and condenser of our condo unit last year. It was 6k.

I wish you the best.
This pricing is not out of line.

Ultra...Good

Reaction score

Probably does not help you, but the breeze coming in the bedroom window yesterday morning was so cold, I stole the covers from my girlfriend. Same thing today. Poor thing works late in the ER. I think I am going to wake her up for a hot shower.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Well, I learned a ton about AC yesterday, talked to more HVAC guys then I had planned, and of course reviewed the info from the brain trust here😁.

In the end, loyalty plays a huge role in decisions like this for me. Going to stick with my guy even though he may not be the cheapest around. I know his work and can trust him around my family. The 10 years of warranty and service included help the matter a bit and hopefully I'm out of state before that 10 years is up. It will come out mid 13K - 14K installed, but I know it will be done correct.

Thanks to everyone who threw in their thoughts here👍.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I'd say you are doing the right thing by sticking with your reputable company....... Trust is huge, and it sounds like he's commited to taking care of customers.

Javajoe

Reaction score
The fan alone (without checking) is probably 175-200 online. So 400 labor. But I’m trying nowadays to respect the drive time. Company overhead and profit. So it isn’t really just 400 labor.
I bought a new motor last year and installed it in an hour. Simple

ghansen

Reaction score
View attachment 1144416
Fan motor is half that price. Just went through that.