WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Outdoor pizza oven?

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Hello all;
The wife's birthday is coming up and I am thinking an outdoor pizza oven would fill the bill. She has mentioned one in passing before so there is interest.
What do people have or like? Suggestions? Looking at either propane or pellet. I don't want to deal with real lump charcoal or actual firewood. I need it to be self contained at this point as the backyard is going to be remodeled in the next few years and I don't want some big structure (yet 😁). Thinking one of the portable Sheetmetal ones.

Budget is $500 give or take, less is good, more could be considered.

Toss out your favorite.......

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Hello all;
The wife's birthday is coming up and I am thinking an outdoor pizza oven would fill the bill. She has mentioned one in passing before so there is interest.
What do people have or like? Suggestions? Looking at either propane or pellet. I don't want to deal with real lump charcoal or actual firewood. I need it to be self contained at this point as the backyard is going to be remodeled in the next few years and I don't want some big structure (yet 😁). Thinking one of the portable Sheetmetal ones.

Budget is $500 give or take, less is good, more could be considered.

Toss out your favorite.......
I've been wanting to get one of these.... There are different models to chose from.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
We have the Ooni ovens for both Havasu and here at the beach. Don't let your first attempt be at a party as they take a few tries to get it down. We use both propane and wood pellets.

poncho

Reaction score
I have a GMG Daniel Boone smoker and I bought the stainless steel pizza accessory and its fantastic. The chamber gets to 8-900 degree's and makes 10" pizzas in a couple of minutes. We do build your own on football Sundays and people love them, just a thought.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Get the latest version of the OONI.

I have one that runs on pellets and gas, it is an older version and works great but the new ones are the bees knees.

Joker

Reaction score
The Gozney is a great little pizza oven. Comes with attachments for wood or propane.

Englewood

Reaction score
Pizza starts with the dough. Buy some New York water or New York pre-made dough. I use Britella's dough...It a game changer.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I have a GMG Daniel Boone smoker and I bought the stainless steel pizza accessory and its fantastic. The chamber gets to 8-900 degree's and makes 10" pizzas in a couple of minutes. We do build your own on football Sundays and people love them, just a thought.

have the same thing on my jim bowie. its awesome

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Don't waste yore time with wood or pellet fired on a straight pizza oven It's a hassle and the pizza doesn't really absorb the wood flavor in the couple minutes it takes to cook. I recommend a stone irregardless of cooking method to pull moisture out of the dough

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Don't waste yore time with wood or pellet fired on a straight pizza oven It's a hassle and the pizza doesn't really absorb the wood flavor in the couple minutes it takes to cook. I recommend a stone irregardless of cooking method to pull moisture out of the dough
This I just use a stone on my BBQ or egg grill.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I have been considering one of the oony's. I like the idea of pellet fired, but agree I am not sure if the dwell time is long enough to actually do anything. Propane is clean and easy.....

All this said, the pellet grill attachment is very interesting. Reviewers are saying they are using it on a RecTec so there is an option and I already have the expensive parts.
The catch here is that it is not portable. I would love to take it camping occasionally.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
Got an OONI for Christmas. Actually took me months to break it out and use it (another story) Got the small one, that can either use wood or propane. Haven't used it with propane yet. As said earlier, learning to make/shape the dough and cook take a little practice. First few looked like shit but tasted great, and I'm definetly getting better at it. I would recommend going this route, before jumping in the deep end and spending tons of money before you find out making homemade pizza.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I would like to get something also. I currently use my BBQ with a pizza stone, or I have a Camp Chef pizza oven that goes on my Camp Chef 3 burner stove.

Both work great.

Screenshot_20220810-184153_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

Riley1

Reaction score
We bought the wood fire Ooni this spring. Have used it a few times. It works well, cooks pizza in 1 to 1-1/2 min. Definitely a learning curve with making the crust. Thinking about selling it with a carry bag. Reflux seems to be acting up more.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
The crust seems to be the secret. I had some last winter from an Ooni, but the crust was from Trader Joe's. Best pizza and made us a believer in making our own. We've not yet pulled the trigger, but we will soon. Ooni is our plan. @angiebaby mom makes some good homemade pizza; I am looking forward to taking her pizza and cooking it in an Ooni.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We bought the wood fire Ooni this spring. Have used it a few times. It works well, cooks pizza in 1 to 1-1/2 min. Definitely a learning curve with making the crust. Thinking about selling it with a carry bag. Reflux seems to be acting up more.
What size is it? I'm considering the 16" propane version.

Joker

Reaction score
Pizza starts with the dough. Buy some New York water or New York pre-made dough. I use Britella's dough...It a game changer.
Where do you get the dough from?

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
The upside down thing looks interesting. I have the cast iron already

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I have an ooni karu 12 with gas burner attachment. I have only used gas so far, but camped with a friend at glamis who used smoker pellets to use the same model on “charcoal”

Some things to consider:

These cook super fast. Like, 1-2 minutes for a pizza- so you’re not doing any thick crust stuff- thin crust only.

Crust is easy enough- we have purchased some, but there are plenty of recipes available, we have had better luck making our own.

Dealing with the crust is a pain in the ass. It sticks to everything, and it’s tough to make a decent pizza the first few tries. Use lots of flour. You will want the pizza scoop or whatever you call it to put the pizza on.

You need to spin the pizza frequently- like 4 times a minute. It’s easy to burn them.

They make delicious thin crust Pizzas, and they are great for parties. We did 30+ pizzas in an hour for the entire neighborhood, and they turned out great. Everyone loved the pizzas and the ability to choose their own toppings.

They aren’t cheap, but are worth the money, imo.

We have also made some calzones with failed pizzas that we folded in half and they turned out great as well.

They don’t require much maintenance using gas. I haven’t used the wood option yet- but the wood fired pizzas I ate were excellent.