WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Vegas to Reno --Sportin' Wood is racing

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
He drove the first half today, then traded off to another driver. Other driver tomorrow first, then Jeff in the pm. It's a 3 day staged race. You can also follow live feed updates at http://www.pirate4x4.com

Here is the link to the tracking. It updates about every 3-5 minutes. Jeff's number is 4471. He created the 4400 class and the top 10 in the class will qualify for his "King of the Hammers" race.

http://irctracking.com/2009/Vegas-Reno/Day1/ (today, they're still racing, but Jeff's out of the car)

http://irctracking.com/2009/Vegas-Reno/Day2/ (tomorrow)

Careful, it's addicting. And the pirate page has sound from time to time. Audio interviews.

Last edited:

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Good luck to Sportin wood..... I love the Vegas to Reno race, I've done it three times on my bike.. I wished Casey would move it to any other month than August, feels like you're riding on the sun, hot and dusty in the summer..

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Finished last night, but DNF today about an hour ago. Fuel line blew apart (exploded is the term used). Allowed one day to DNF and still race tomorrow. So they'll fix it tonight and start again in the morning.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Good luck to Sportin wood..... I love the Vegas to Reno race, I've done it three times on my bike.. I wished Casey would move it to any other month than August, feels like you're riding on the sun, hot and dusty in the summer..

My ol riding buddy Adam Evans won that race on his ol KX 500 about 12 years ago or so. One hell of a race to ride!
Good luck!

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
It's a thousand miles this year. :eek: 118* yesterday taking off out of Beatty

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
My ol riding buddy Adam Evans won that race on his ol KX 500 about 12 years ago or so. One hell of a race to ride!
Good luck!

It's really the most awesome off road race in the country. V2R in one day is the best format.. I Ironman'd it twice and did a team race in 05. I gotta get back to it....

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
He got in the car around 4:30 and said a fuel line "exploded". This happened about 5:30 or 6. Then it was about 3 hours before they could get to him. They didn't have radio contact for some reason, so no one really knew what was going on. Thankfully, racers use the trackers now. It is so hot out there, that fuel pumps are burning up, causing the cars to run too lean, then causing the engines to overheat. They have gone through 6-8 fuel pumps in two days. This time, the line was so hot, it just blew. They rebuilt the whole fuel system last night. I haven't heard if they got it going yet or not. Today is the final day. Gotta get to the gym and back before it starts. I'll be glued to the computer all day. Jeff drives first this morning, but his class usually begins around 10, might be a little earlier today as much of the field is DQd or busted.

here is the link to today's tracking

http://irctracking.com/2009/Vegas-Reno/Day3/

live feed (you can post and ask questions here)
http://www.pirate4x4.com/trailreports/vegas2reno09/index.php

Last edited:

SuperDave013

Reaction score
If he needs some hoses that can take the heat/abuse I'll fix him up.
I don't know how they plumbed it but most off road guys use push lock hose. I never understood that.

For that I would use NRP Jones All Temp hose. It's good for 300 degrees, 2,250psi, has a 12,000psi burst (-6) and a very very robust outter reinforcement. The ends are steel and reusable so it's something that can be worked with out in the dirt. Not that you would need to but could if that's what it came down to.

I would love to work with them so if they have a need please feel free to call.

Good luck! Doing something like that would have to be so bad ass!!

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Larry, I will for sure let him read your post. Thanks!

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Well here is the short version.

Overcame a bunch of problems on day one to end with about a 2 hour lead over the winner of the race, and a 4 hour lead over the rest of the pack, winning day one with time to spare.

It was hella hot, and we could not keep the fuel from boiling in the tank. We burned 6 fuel pumps in two days.

I was handed a hurt but running car on day two with one spare pump left on the car that was driven down from Reno. As soon as I took the wheel we headed into the worst silt bed I have ever seen. 10 miles long or so. The car ran 250 plus degrees the whole way but we could not stop out there. I could smell fuel but we just could not stop.

As we got on solid ground the car just died. The co driver jumped out and yelled for me to get out quick. a fuel line had burst in the car and was spraying a large stream out. The car and pump were turned off and it was still blowing like ol faithfull.

We made multiple fixes to the fuel system for the next two hours and it would just blow again. I called the race 10 minutes before the check point 50 miles ahead closed, and radioed BFG relay our location.

about 4 hours later we completly pulled the entire fuel sytem out of the car, and repiped it outside of the car. we then drove about 10 miles to our chase truck.

The crew worked all night and all the way to the starting line but the car just would not run.

5th place in class, and 109th over all.

Outside the fuel issue we had no problems and the car is still ready to race.

I am interested in your thoughts Larry concerning fuel lines. We ran the high pressure blue stuff.

Jeff

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the troubles Jeff. If you ever need an extra co driver or chase help don't hesitate to call me.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the archives. Note the date, people; it's from 2009. This week my son Cody Knoll is co-driving the Copart Ultra4 car in his first Vegas to Reno Race. As a tribute, he is running the same car number I ran in 2009, "The Long Way" 4471. I hope he has better luck.

It is also a proud moment because he is racing in the class I invented. The 2009 V2R race was the first official time Ultra4 sanctioned a legit desert race.

Andy McMillion pointed and laughed at our Rock Donkeys, but today, much of the technology used in the AWD TTs came from the boundaries we pushed in KOH.

Yes, I should be out there, but I try and stay away from my son's racing efforts for many reasons. Nonetheless, I will be glued to the tracker as always, and I am extremely proud of my Kid.

If you're watching the race this week, please cheer on our Son. I've never won this race; I hope he can achieve this goal on his merit.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Just talked to my son. He got his hands on the actual number plates from my "V2R the Long Way" race car and has them mounted on this year's car.

I am feeling terrible that I am not there, but he put me on notice that if this goes well, they are building a new car for the 2023 Baja 1000, and he expects me to come out of retirement in some capacity.

Tech and Contingency were today; they race Friday.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
You can start a sign up list for 2023 Baja 1000 Chase Truck volunteers here. As long as the Tecate, Pacifico and Modelo holds out, I'm in! LOL
Did you see that it starts in LaPaz? Score got creative finally.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
You can start a sign up list for 2023 Baja 1000 Chase Truck volunteers here. As long as the Tecate, Pacifico and Modelo holds out, I'm in! LOL
One of my favorite Baja 1000 race efforts was organized on Pirate4x4.com It was an eclectic group of strangers only connected by a Forum. Damn, we had a good time that year. We spent the sponsorship money buying beer for the team and making T-Shirts. I got lots of stories to tell from that experience. We had some top-notch sponsors that went along for the ride and made it amazing. Everyone left with a smile and a story.

intense

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the archives. Note the date, people; it's from 2009. This week my son Cody Knoll is co-driving the Copart Ultra4 car in his first Vegas to Reno Race. As a tribute, he is running the same car number I ran in 2009, "The Long Way" 4471. I hope he has better luck.

It is also a proud moment because he is racing in the class I invented. The 2009 V2R race was the first official time Ultra4 sanctioned a legit desert race.

Andy McMillion pointed and laughed at our Rock Donkeys, but today, much of the technology used in the AWD TTs came from the boundaries we pushed in KOH.

Yes, I should be out there, but I try and stay away from my son's racing efforts for many reasons. Nonetheless, I will be glued to the tracker as always, and I am extremely proud of my Kid.

If you're watching the race this week, please cheer on our Son. I've never won this race; I hope he can achieve this goal on his merit.

Im following his jeep build on another forum. Good luck to them its a tough race as we know

PaPaG

Reaction score
Saw a crap load of amazing cars running a few years ago on our way from Tahoe back to Vegas, sat by the side of the road for about an hour, had some lunch and watched them blast by...lots of fun for sure.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Im following his jeep build on another forum.
I've challenged him to an April deadline as we are going to Moab for three weeks. His Grandpas is also doing a frame-off restoration on a Golden Eagle CJ7 in Conroe TX. They are racing to try and finish and meet up in Moab. I'm not convinced either will be ready.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
The kid is 5 miles out well in first place in class. Hopefully not a jinx, but it seems they could push at this point. I've got locals on the phone looking out. Fingers crossed he does what I could never do and get a win at this race. BEERS FLOWING!

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
The local report is the second place on his ass. Race to finish

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Momma is full dot racing mode right now. Somehow she is an expert. :)

Hammer

Reaction score
I am overjoyed. My son just did what I have never been able to achieve. He has a BFG winners hat in his hand. I guess I need to get ready to come out of retirement and prepare for a Desert race. I need a Fawking hat.
That is amazing! I wish you were there to celebrate with him In person!