WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
I need to start with a little backstory, bare with me…

It’s extremely rare to find a used boat that checks every single box. Length, shape, color, Engine, drive, interior and audio (there’s a ton more but for the sake of getting to the point) When I purchased my 27’ 2008 Eliminator Daytona it checked just about every single box (except price of course) because I felt like I overpaid but it was worth it to get almost EXACTLY what I wanted. I bought the boat basically sight unseen after spending a month examining photos and asking a million questions from the dealer.
The day I picked it up I spent an hour inspecting and finding all of the flaws that the dealership so skillfully left out of any pictures or conversations. I was fully aware that I was buying a used boat so these little details didn’t come as a shock but in my mind I could just hear the CHA CHING sound of the tens of thousands of dollars I would be spending to fix every imperfection and turn my Daytona into the boat that I’ve dreamed about for many years.
The first test drive shined a light on issues that I hoped wouldn’t be there. But there they were!! Lots of loose panels, a prop that wasn’t right for the boat, an electrical nightmare, a motor that wasn’t even bolted down a bilge blower missing the ducts that allow it to properly function, Upholstry issues, gauges that didn’t work, exhaust leaks, trailer with ZERO brake fluid, oil leaks and overall lack of any sort of decent maintenance.
Nonetheless the hull was perfect (it’s a Leech built Daytona so that isnt surprising) the engine was near perfect (Big thanks to Adrian at Barrett) and the rest was totally repairable.
From that day forward, my mind and my internet feed have been consumed by my quest to make my perfect boat.
One advantage for me is that I spent nearly 20 years in the custom hot rod and audio industries so the repairs necessary are almost all within my area of expertise. Anyone who knows me knows That I love wiring and audio and I still do custom audio installs at my home in Orange County Ca.
So after all that I decided to start with the things that were a safety issue and on a boat the Electrical system is the #1 most important part of the safety equation. At one time the previous owner decided to have a monster stereo system installed into this boat. He clearly spent a large sum of money on the components of this system but he got totally robbed on the install. This is the perfect situation where “you get what you pay for” comes into play. Bottom line, good audio is expensive! Also if you’re planning on paying BIG money for a system in your boat you need to go to that shop while they build another boat and just take a look at their install quality. A shitty install could cost you your boat! I’ve seen boats with drywall screws, screwed down to the trailer through the hull and of course burnt to a total loss because of shitty wiring jobs.
My boat had one of those shitty wiring jobs. The alternator was fried, the battery wiring was a joke and the amp wiring was atrocious. Doesn’t matter anymore because it’s all coming out. Follow along as I start the rebuilding process and make this wiring look and function like a million bucks only to cover it all up with the interior panels… HA! It’s just the nature of the beast here. Either way the next person who takes off these panels is going to shit a brick at how bad ass the wiring is.
HERE WE GO.
As you can see I have lots of cleaning and fixing to do but I’ll document all of it.
73E5A72C-F358-45A9-8112-4F8A04E7C4E5.jpeg

The batteries are in my opinion the best batteries you can have in your boat. I would have put all 4 of the same battery but these will do for now. I also have a ship to shore charger/tender that is made for 4 batteries and stayes plugged into a 110v Outlet when the boat is not in use.
7DCDCB6D-4EE6-4912-A569-CF904EB1022F.jpeg
0DD59EC3-559B-4B6E-B6EC-6272F9A1E5C4.jpeg

This is 1 of the 4 JL audio amps in the boat. This one was hidden behind a panel so apparently the installer felt it wasn’t necessary to clean up the wiring
98175A98-1C8F-49C6-8B57-870D4F83AE5D.jpeg

Wires laying in the hull is a big no no.

92A8CCFF-DFB6-4CED-893A-B5C055039682.jpeg

Looks like the filler neck has been leaking so I’ll make sure to replace it before I put this panel back on.
746DF8F5-DFEF-42EA-B25D-E8E1500A98C5.jpeg

Marine connectors need to be sealed. The crimps one these aren’t even crimped completely and because they aren’t sealed they are already corroding.
8D89F523-EA1D-4E1F-A16B-4A2C517A7ABF.jpeg

After removing the first battery I found just nastiness and spent hardware that was just left instead of actually cleaning it out.
EC69CDE4-75A3-4AB1-A740-990A420C5B0F.jpeg

Connectors on the back of the speakers that aren’t sealed and are very poorly stripped and crimped. Again this is where your audio quality suffers and the corrosion will eventually load the wire so much that the speaker won’t even function. More things for me to replace..
E52CE370-755E-448E-870A-6F7C6D7ABEBF.jpeg

The braided line on the bottom of this pile is the main fuel line from the port side fuel tank. I’m not sure who thought it was a good idea to run 1/0 power cable from 4 batteries on top of the fuel line. This is where I draw the line with calling out bad audio shops. I wish I knew who did this install because they shouldn’t be installing audio into boats anymore. This is the stuff that gets people killed and boats burnt to the ground.
0EB6AF04-DA55-483A-967B-17B489337446.jpeg

Eventually this paneling will all be replaced and reupholstered but for now it just needs a good cleaning and it’ll finish out this season just fine.
883A193F-1559-4A30-A9A0-AF57F5BDF717.jpeg

While I’ve got the seat out I’ll probably replace the fuel filter. I have my qualms about having all of this fuel right on top of the battery charger. I think I’ll relocate it to a safer location.
E50C361A-800D-4B5F-B7C6-C224D8873262.jpeg

Wires just hanging always gets me… like why?
199F665B-B475-4A6B-ACC3-0A3979E1964F.jpeg

Well at least they put a circuit breaker in…
BC2D037E-C2E9-4905-BCB9-D3ED6D1BA157.jpeg

This is just the tip of the iceberg of what will go back into the boat. New battery terminals, new circuit breaker, new distribution blocks, new wire and most important thing of all is a voltage sensing battery isolator relay that automatically isolates my starter battery from my audio batteries as soon as the voltage drops under 13 volts. Then once the voltage is back over 13volts it’ll switch back on to charge all 4 batteries with my new 200a alternator. I also got some nifty aluminum clamps to separate the cable and make it pretty… yes wiring can be pretty when it’s done correctly. Or maybe that’s just me because I’m a wiring nerd.

Anyways let me know what you think. I’ll post more pics as the project progresses.

lenmann

Reaction score
Awesome plan, can't wait to follow your progress and learn some new stuff.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Good lookin unit, I’m no master electrician but that hurts my head to even look at lol

renodaytona

Reaction score
Great thread. I have been wanting to do this to my Daytona but I was always nervous about doing it. There are so many wiring no no's and issues. After going through my Tatum wiring mess and installing the Holley EFI and re-doing the rest of the wiring in that the Daytona will be much easier.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
It's crazy to see that such a high-quality boat that someone paid good money for get such a shitty wiring job and probably crap stereo system. I look forward to seeing all the changes you make to the boat. It should be one badass Daytona when you're done.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Great thread. I have been wanting to do this to my Daytona but I was always nervous about doing it. There are so many wiring no no's and issues. After going through my Tatum wiring mess and installing the Holley EFI and re-doing the rest of the wiring in that the Daytona will be much easier.
Yes wiring can be daunting. It’s actually very basic and once you get the concept becomes very easy to navigate.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
4A1355E3-22AF-404B-8E13-7D7D8B6E590D.jpeg

It’s astonishing how much hardware I’ve found just laying under everything. Even down to wood shavings that weren’t even vacuumed out after holes were drilled to pass wiring through.
26015C41-E9C9-4054-980F-C30456F71F90.jpeg

A little vinegar and a vacuum and it’s cleaning up ok. What do you guys think I should do to the bottom of this pan to make it look better? It’s definitely not the original white gelcoat. I was thinking of painting it black and putting gatorstep in the bottom.
C76335C4-6E33-46C2-84D4-EC3C662BA96C.jpeg

I’m contemplating moving all of the fuel delivery parts to the other side of this bulkhead into the engine compartment. They are nearly impossible to get to without removing the seat. I like the cleanliness of the engine compartment but I like being able to work on the parts even more.

734BE760-73B2-4D28-8EE1-B60DF1B378D7.jpeg

Removed the mysterious hidden amp. And in the process realized that they had wired all of the inside speakers to different amps. So I would never have been able to tune the entire system to perfection. Now I’ll be re-wiring all of the amps and relocating two of them to the underside of the starbord side cabin.
231FA5D9-E019-4A37-858C-82D39C0100BE.jpeg
4AA891C4-624E-4E08-84B3-67E541B8707A.jpeg

While I’m at it I pulled the valve covers to check valve lash and to have the covers polished. Who thought it was a good idea to put unpolished covers on I have no idea. Good thing too because both valve covers were loose… SMH

Tonight I’ll be figuring out the fuel system relocation.

What should I do to the bottom of the battery pan? I want it to look nice

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Can you try to wet sand it a bit and see if it cleans up? If not you could coat it with awl grip or bilge coat.
I’m going to hit it with a polisher and see what happens. It’s strange, it’s like they put off white gelcoat on top of the white. Either way it’s ugly. And all of the screw holes are going to be difficult to hide. So I’ll be sealing them up and will likely cover all of it with something.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
View attachment 1146509
It’s astonishing how much hardware I’ve found just laying under everything. Even down to wood shavings that weren’t even vacuumed out after holes were drilled to pass wiring through.
View attachment 1146510
A little vinegar and a vacuum and it’s cleaning up ok. What do you guys think I should do to the bottom of this pan to make it look better? It’s definitely not the original white gelcoat. I was thinking of painting it black and putting gatorstep in the bottom.
View attachment 1146521
I’m contemplating moving all of the fuel delivery parts to the other side of this bulkhead into the engine compartment. They are nearly impossible to get to without removing the seat. I like the cleanliness of the engine compartment but I like being able to work on the parts even more.

View attachment 1146530
Removed the mysterious hidden amp. And in the process realized that they had wired all of the inside speakers to different amps. So I would never have been able to tune the entire system to perfection. Now I’ll be re-wiring all of the amps and relocating two of them to the underside of the starbord side cabin.
View attachment 1146535 View attachment 1146536
While I’m at it I pulled the valve covers to check valve lash and to have the covers polished. Who thought it was a good idea to put unpolished covers on I have no idea. Good thing too because both valve covers were loose… SMH

Tonight I’ll be figuring out the fuel system relocation.

What should I do to the bottom of the battery pan? I want it to look nice
I’ve always wanted to spray some gel and that looks like a perfect test spot so that’s what I would do as I think it would just give a clean complete look. Then add some battery box’s to clean up the top of the batteries but $$$$$

Some gator step would be by far easiest and look pretty good at the same time.

I think I saw that boat for sale not too too long ago, would of never guessed this shit was hidden

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted to spray some gel and that looks like a perfect test spot so that’s what I would do as I think it would just give a clean complete look. Then add some battery box’s to clean up the top of the batteries but $$$$$

Some gator step would be by far easiest and look pretty good at the same time.

I think I saw that boat for sale not too too long ago, would of never guessed this shit was hidden
I’m looking for billet battery boxes right now but because the batteries are two different sizes the design of the billet boxes is different. The different designs don’t fly with me so I’ll probably keep the boxes they were in for this season and next year replace the smaller batteries with the matching big ones ($400 ea 😭) and yes the billet boxes are a grip 💲💲. I’m not sure if I want to really dive into spraying gelcoat just because of the time involved in prep and cleanup. The boat needs to go in the lake on Labor Day and for the Eliminator Regatta.
Yes the boat looked very good in pictures and it’s a great boat. But this is a result of a terrible audio shop.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
If you have a location on the outer lip of the box, I’d say use an enamel, I’d almost have to say red or silver then a cheap eva foam mat from eBay or Amazon. I hate black in the bilge myself tho as why i say red or silver. Your other option that will definitely keep with a factory look would be the super thin black, dark grey or light grey carpet in the box.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
72A88088-F1F7-4DBC-A5C8-542415ECE7C7.jpeg

Got the fuel filter and pump relocated to in the engine compartment. I’m going to change out the fittings to black in the near future.
5B92EE1A-7334-4D23-A76F-73021A10A062.jpeg

Just used P clamps to separate the hose for the time being until billet clamps arrive.
B8B41C10-D2D9-4B89-80CB-447577B187EA.jpeg

I definitely don’t like these blue fittings nor how they direct the hose so I’ll be changing them for sure. For the time being they work so I’m going to leave them and focus on my original task. Time to clean up this battery pan.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
If you have a location on the outer lip of the box, I’d say use an enamel, I’d almost have to say red or silver then a cheap eva foam mat from eBay or Amazon. I hate black in the bilge myself tho as why i say red or silver. Your other option that will definitely keep with a factory look would be the super thin black, dark grey or light grey carpet in the box.
I have some inexpensive light grey and red EVA foam flooring material that I’m 100% going to put on the bottom of the tray. I think red or white on just the sides to cover this dingy whitish-yellowish shit that’s in there.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
View attachment 1147020
Got the fuel filter and pump relocated to in the engine compartment. I’m going to change out the fittings to black in the near future.
View attachment 1147021
Just used P clamps to separate the hose for the time being until billet clamps arrive.
View attachment 1147022
I definitely don’t like these blue fittings nor how they direct the hose so I’ll be changing them for sure. For the time being they work so I’m going to leave them and focus on my original task. Time to clean up this battery pan.
Seeing the red now, I’d 100% have to pull lines and bring the red into those boxes, maybe do the top lips black to match the break lines already in the bilge to keep it looking factory.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Flip those upper P clamps, so the hose sits flush against the fiberglass, instead of being held up from the glass also. Use the simple stainless P clamps, but pull the rubber off each one polish then put rubber back on. Also polish those screw heads it’s time but after the fourth or fifth one back in you’ll see how beautifully perfect it works and looks.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
One more thing as you start replacing fittings do yourself the favor of using uscg fuel line. It’s not as pretty but if something happens to the boat it’s always possible the insurance can not cover as the braided lines are not uscg approved, it’s a tip i really wish I’d have known before i redid most my system this last winter. Yup redoing it all again now, using the DW push locks in there dark grey.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Flip those upper P clamps, so the hose sits flush against the fiberglass, instead of being held up from the glass also. Use the simple stainless P clamps, but pull the rubber off each one polish then put rubber back on. Also polish those screw heads it’s time but after the fourth or fifth one back in you’ll see how beautifully perfect it works and looks.
The P clamps are all coming out. I ordered billet separator/mounts. Should have them early next week. Just put the p clamps in there to get an idea of how long the hoses needed to be. I always end up tearing everything apart again and changing stuff. The more I look at it the more I hate the blue fittings too so I’ll end up changing them. And yes yes yes on Polishing the screw heads 👏🏼

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
One more thing as you start replacing fittings do yourself the favor of using uscg fuel line. It’s not as pretty but if something happens to the boat it’s always possible the insurance can not cover as the braided lines are not uscg approved, it’s a tip i really wish I’d have known before i redid most my system this last winter. Yup redoing it all again now, using the DW push locks in there dark grey.

Not a bad idea at all….

SoCalZero

Reaction score
Yeah, you’re a big nerd! Being a big nerd is a good thing when you are cleaning things up and optimizing a toy to be safe for you and your family. Love all the pics and descriptions. Keep ‘em coming!

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Ok a little update, ended up replacing all of the fuel lines and all of the fittings so far. I’ve re routed the carb feed lines to under the engine rather than up the front just to make it aesthetically better. I’ve begun installing the pump lines and the tank transfer lines. Should be wrapped up in the next day or two then back to the batteries. Work is tedious because I keep finding little things to clean and fix. When I cram myself into the engine compartment I tend to stay wherever I am to clean or polish something. Its surprising how many miscellaneous wires I’ve found that go nowhere. They bug me so I end up pulling them out of the harness completely. Another pet peeve is mismatched hardware. So yeah that’s been an adventure all it’s own. Lots of trips to the hardware store and many more trips to go.
77A2F9FB-4B6B-4CC9-B502-B4E4E6A18A3A.jpeg

87405F51-2E6D-451F-869B-3FF99D60ED01.jpeg
87405F51-2E6D-451F-869B-3FF99D60ED01.jpeg

FD05F0DB-21E5-4C2C-9A68-3665A02104FA.jpeg

941C23F2-59E9-41DE-91A7-A95BD10EBB9B.jpeg

renodaytona

Reaction score
Good work, keep it coming. Getting some great ideas for my Daytona resto that is long over due. I've been looking for a shop/warehouse to rent for the winter so I can work on it and get everything re-wired, re-plumed and then send it out for all new interior and trailer resto.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
This is a “lift pump” type system. It has an electric fuel pump and a mechanical fuel pump. Basically the electric pump draws out of the tank and feeds the mechanical pump which then pushes the fuel to the carburetor. Because of the normal operating RPM range a mechanical pump would struggle and could possibly cavitate so the electric pump keeps it constantly fed. If it were fuel injected an electric pump would suffice
What’s that remote fuel pump drive/mount apparatus?

boatnam2

Reaction score
Coming along nice, what kid of power is it making? What drive is on it?

OkHallett270

Reaction score
This is a “lift pump” type system. It has an electric fuel pump and a mechanical fuel pump. Basically the electric pump draws out of the tank and feeds the mechanical pump which then pushes the fuel to the carburetor. Because of the normal operating RPM range a mechanical pump would struggle and could possibly cavitate so the electric pump keeps it constantly fed. If it were fuel injected an electric pump would suffice
That’s pretty cool, never seen one like that before. Thanks

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Ok fuel lines are done. Fired up the pump and the only leaks were a drop or two from the carb fittings. I’ll torque them down tomorrow and fire it up. Pics to follow!
New problem….
1FD32506-F90D-4FB5-B1DE-8942AA967DED.jpeg

I’m pretty sure the roller is supposed to be centered on the valve stem…. Looks like there are a couple rockers this way. I reached out to Barrett but haven’t heard back yet..

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
Barrett will definitely get you sorted out. Good job catching this problem before major damage occurred!

mattyc

Reaction score
Ok fuel lines are done. Fired up the pump and the only leaks were a drop or two from the carb fittings. I’ll torque them down tomorrow and fire it up. Pics to follow!
New problem….
View attachment 1149602
I’m pretty sure the roller is supposed to be centered on the valve stem…. Looks like there are a couple rockers this way. I reached out to Barrett but haven’t heard back yet..
Nice work, I like how you did the fuel plumbing. What's heads are they? You will likely need adjustable guideplates

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Nice work, I like how you did the fuel plumbing. What's heads are they? You will likely need adjustable guideplates
Brodix Dragon Slayer heads. They have World guideplates currently but I’m seriously considering the Dart Adjustable plates. Waiting to hear what Barrett says first..

mattyc

Reaction score
Brodix Dragon Slayer heads. They have World guideplates currently but I’m seriously considering the Dart Adjustable plates. Waiting to hear what Barrett says first..
Not positive, but pretty sure there are no stamped guideplates that will work well on those type of heads. The adjustables are nice, very easy to use and will allow perfect alignment.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Ok FUEL SYSTEM IS DONE 🤘🏼 No leaks and no more blue fittings!! Today I begin the process of wiring the batteries and my polished cave covers should be going back on (until my new adjustable guide plates come in) I also just had to get rid of the ugly brass plugs on the intake manifold so I pulled them and put stainless plugs in. I also relocated the temp sender to the crossover tube so it will read a more accurate temp. I think it’s old location on the top of the manifold wasn’t working well because I never really got an accurate water temp. I’m thinking it might have had a little air trapped in the manifold so this crossover tube should work perfectly.
C6950E91-8C0E-4FA2-9275-76B5FBE62C3F.jpeg

6291C97B-998F-49D1-9D18-56888F65420C.jpeg

0E5E8F49-FD66-4600-B2D5-406036CC3175.jpeg

1C05FCA7-C09C-43F4-BDEE-EE1AC3853718.jpeg

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Very nice work on everything you’ve done so far!

I’m going to suggest that you put the temp sensor back where it was. Where you have it now is entry water to the block/system. Where it was is exiting heads/system.

My guess is that there’s a low temp or no thermostat in the housing, causing lower temps than you’re expecting.

Your EFI system definitely needs the correct temp for lookup tables. I don’t know if this is just for the gauge or EFI reference as well, but either way it’s not going to give you accurate data.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
@50onRED what battery isolator did you get? I want to do that to my boat, it sits for a long time in a slip (away from any way to keep the batteries on a charger/maintainer) and the batteries slowly discharge on me. With the isolator I could at least get a good charge on the starting battery and then let the aux battery charge up.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Very nice work on everything you’ve done so far!

I’m going to suggest that you put the temp sensor back where it was. Where you have it now is entry water to the block/system. Where it was is exiting heads/system.

My guess is that there’s a low temp or no thermostat in the housing, causing lower temps than you’re expecting.

Your EFI system definitely needs the correct temp for lookup tables. I don’t know if this is just for the gauge or EFI reference as well, but either way it’s not going to give you accurate data.
It’s carbureted. Looking at it again, I think you’re right. I’ll have to move it back. Or I might actually use the bung on the rear of the manifold just so I don’t have to see it 😂

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
@50onRED what battery isolator did you get? I want to do that to my boat, it sits for a long time in a slip (away from any way to keep the batteries on a charger/maintainer) and the batteries slowly discharge on me. With the isolator I could at least get a good charge on the starting battery and then let the aux battery charge up.
DC6D3606-44DF-4A73-9A5C-7764D31F0B04.jpeg

This is what I’m installing. It has a voltage sensing relay on top that as soon as it dips under 13 volt (which happens as soon as the alternator is off) it isolates whatever battery you want.
As for you not having a ship-to-shore charger or maintainer there’s One thing you need to remember. MOST batteries are only capable of recharging at 10 amps per hour and most basic mercury type alternators are only 50 amps. What that means is that if you have bread batteries it will take them HOURS to fully charge while the engine is running. Most of the time we don’t have our engines running for hours at a time so your batteries will never be fully charged and will eventually fail.
The reason I have Odyssey batteries and why I always recommend them for my customers is that they have a nearly unlimited charge rate. This means my 250 amp alternator will charge all 4 of them in a very short period of time. I utilize the ship-to-shore charger for any time the boat is out of the water for more than 24 hours. Other than that it’s rarely used.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Update:2 today
Got the EVA foam down into the battery well and for how cheap it was I love it. I was going to paint the well but decided to leave the painting to the team at Eliminator when it goes in for some other paint work this winter. For now the foam looks great.
D6F9F43A-0F57-4D20-AC79-B8246CC584AB.jpeg

I decided to use the existing battery boxes because I can’t find billet boxes for the two different batteries that match each other so I’ll have to have billet boxes made. Plus I want them to say Eliminator anyways. These boxes work fine for now.
1CF1C1B6-A928-48BF-9C3D-D89D6275A64F.jpeg

Got the isolator relay mounted.
130359A0-9C60-4469-8DF8-2CEA8E0F0193.jpeg

Now on to mounting the circuit breaker for the stereo system and wiring up these batteries. Stay tuned…

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
It’s carbureted. Looking at it again, I think you’re right. I’ll have to move it back. Or I might actually use the bung on the rear of the manifold just so I don’t have to see it 😂
Sorry dude, I read ALL of the restoration threads and had set my phone down after reading about the EFI conversion of the intake by Wilson and crossed threads!🤣

I apologize, but the temp facts still hold true.

It would be more accurate in front where flow from both heads converge, but it’ll be close on the back.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
View attachment 1150088
This is what I’m installing. It has a voltage sensing relay on top that as soon as it dips under 13 volt (which happens as soon as the alternator is off) it isolates whatever battery you want.
As for you not having a ship-to-shore charger or maintainer there’s One thing you need to remember. MOST batteries are only capable of recharging at 10 amps per hour and most basic mercury type alternators are only 50 amps. What that means is that if you have bread batteries it will take them HOURS to fully charge while the engine is running. Most of the time we don’t have our engines running for hours at a time so your batteries will never be fully charged and will eventually fail.
The reason I have Odyssey batteries and why I always recommend them for my customers is that they have a nearly unlimited charge rate. This means my 250 amp alternator will charge all 4 of them in a very short period of time. I utilize the ship-to-shore charger for any time the boat is out of the water for more than 24 hours. Other than that it’s rarely used.
I do have a ship to shore charger/maintainer. Problem is the boat sits in a slip on a lake for 4 months and no electricity nearby to run the maintainer. Boat gets ran about every other weekend or so.

I do have the odyssey’s like you. The 31m-2150’s. I like them because they withstand discharge and recharge cycles better than most. Though I have had to replace them once already. I had three of them and dropped it down to two. Alternator previously couldn’t keep both charged when running on the two battery side.

I did try to get Barrett to replace the Mercury 55A alternator with a better one (ie Mechman 170 A marine alternator) but they didn’t do it. They did though do something where the alternator runs at 14v at idle so no matter what rpm the alternator is pushing 14v and it’s now ok with two batteries or one at a time.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
I do have a ship to shore charger/maintainer. Problem is the boat sits in a slip on a lake for 4 months and no electricity nearby to run the maintainer. Boat gets ran about every other weekend or so.

I do have the odyssey’s like you. The 31m-2150’s. I like them because they withstand discharge and recharge cycles better than most. Though I have had to replace them once already. I had three of them and dropped it down to two. Alternator previously couldn’t keep both charged when running on the two battery side.

I did try to get Barrett to replace the Mercury 55A alternator with a better one (ie Mechman 170 A marine alternator) but they didn’t do it. They did though do something where the alternator runs at 14v at idle so no matter what rpm the alternator is pushing 14v and it’s now ok with two batteries or one at a time.
Sounds like you have a good setup. Next step would be to find what’s drawing power when the boat is off. Technically those batteries should stay at 12v at all time. Either way an isolator would probably solve your problem.

Singleton

Reaction score

2 things pull power. Stereo and bilge pumps. If battery switch is off and batteries are still being drained, look to to those 2 items

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
2 things pull power. Stereo and bilge pumps. If battery switch is off and batteries are still being drained, look to to those 2 items
Yeah I think it’s the stereo. I opened the breakers on everything that looked related to the stereo when the boat is not in use.

I can’t confirm the bilge pumps even work with the batteries off. I need to test that on the trailer. I’ve always left at least one battery on when I think it’s going to rain. I can say that battery is toast if left on for a week and won’t even crank the engine. I use the second battery to fire the engine and then switch over to both batteries. Alternator can charge it back up if ran long enough.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Yeah I think it’s the stereo. I opened the breakers on everything that looked related to the stereo when the boat is not in use.

I can’t confirm the bilge pumps even work with the batteries off. I need to test that on the trailer. I’ve always left at least one battery on when I think it’s going to rain. I can say that battery is toast if left on for a week and won’t even crank the engine. I use the second battery to fire the engine and then switch over to both batteries. Alternator can charge it back up if ran long enough.
Yes stereo systems are notorious for killing batteries. I have my entire stereo system on a circuit breaker that gets switched off every time the boat is out of the water or in storage.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Got the ship-to-shore charger and the batteries wired. I’m using 2/0 Cable and the clamps are supposed to be -6 AN Braided hose but they work great on this cable to keep things tidy. There’s a lot going on when having 4 batteries but it’s looking good considering the tight space.
1B124892-6A05-4834-9AFB-6B5065E259DB.jpeg

50A63D8C-F3A5-40AD-B266-9A494B40D8A9.jpeg

Now on to the stereo system. One of the mos t important parts is a good circuit breaker.
17EA8CB1-3E48-4000-B2A8-1AABC714E9F5.jpeg

I also got the valve covers and a few miscellaneous parts back from polishing. My good friend is a polisher and he totally killed these parts!! Can’t wait to see them on the motor.

B158AEFB-5F3F-4539-B4F6-847B1459A7BB.jpeg