WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

estimated cost for new floors ?

davethewave

Reaction score
I found out it could be the floors are warped which makes the '72 Sanger porpois at around 70 mph. There's water under the glass, so there's bound to be some rot. How much $ am I looking at ifI do it myself ?

Backlash

Reaction score
The good news is the demo work is pretty inexpensive. Slapping it all back together properly is what's going to set you back a few bucks. It's not impossible to tackle this project yourself, but like I said, reassembly is going to need someone who knows what they are doing. What is it YOU wanted to tackle exactly??

cofooter

Reaction score
The stringers are over the floors in that boat, so plan on digging out both........ I've done a few, not that big of deal, the hardest part is getting the old floors out

Last edited:

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
If ya have to ask, you can't afford it

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

dryhoze1

Reaction score
If ya have to ask, you can't afford it

Not true !

Pretty ignorant statement.

The OP is asking how much the materials would cost to do it himself. Do you really think he can’t afford (2 )2x6 14’ clear df & a few sheets of marine grade plywood ? In your opinion is it the 5 gallons of polyester resin that puts it out of reach?

Especially coming from a guy who couldn’t afford to pay someone to weld his trailer correctly. 👎🏽

Last edited:

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Not true !

The OP is asking how much the materials would cost to do it himself. Do you really think he can’t afford (2 )2x6 14’ clear df & a few sheets of marine grade plywood ? In your opinion is it the 5 gallons of polyester resin that puts it out of reach?

Especially coming from a guy who couldn’t afford to pay someone to weld his trailer correctly. [emoji1418]
Dude. Here's a quarter go down get on the bus and get off downtown. Then look for a place in a back alley that is selling senses of humor. Obviously they must be illegal now and you can only get them in the black market.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Not true !

Especially coming from a guy who couldn’t afford to pay someone to weld his trailer correctly. [emoji1418]
Oh, and my trailer is just fine by the way. So I musta done it correctly. It's made the trip from komifornia to ky with only a blowout of an older tire that I didn't realize was old.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
What 72' Sanger hull do you have, Sanger made a lot of different boats that all looked very similar but had drastic differences. My 77 is a Gull Wing and looking at from the front you may think there is something wrong with the bottom if you compared it to a 19' Family Ski. Who is providing the advice on bad floors? The next question is what kind of power are you running and what set up do you have for plates, strut, prop, gearing etc...? You have a nearly 50 year old boat that is acting like many do. It takes some power to hold the nose up and run hard.

If you do those floors or have someone do them you have to make sure that your shape issues are corrected or you will just build a nice floor on a bad bottom. These boats we love may have not always been with people that loved them :) a lot of shit can be stuffed in the bottom of the boat and covered up. I know this sounds like a ton more work but if you are going this far why not. I would get the boat stripped and flip it over, to get a solid look at the bottom. When I did my Spectra I was told to make sure that I sat the boat on the keel as far forward as I could and then on blocks at the rear corners, this way I would be sure to not flex that floor as I was laying my new stringers up.

davethewave

Reaction score
Lol actually is A dumb question But I'm guessing 6 or 700 (which of course I CAN AFFORD) Lol Think I will run it (ski it) till winter. Thanks
for your replies, and sarcasm.

Backlash

Reaction score
Lol actually is A dumb question But I'm guessing 6 or 700 (which of course I CAN AFFORD) Lol Think I will run it (ski it) till winter. Thanks

Several of us gave you responses that didn't contain sarcasm, so, some of us are trying to help. If you want any suggestions or advice, dont hesitate to reach out to us. PM's work too. If there is water between the layers of glass and coring, I'd reconsider using the boat until that issue has been resolved.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I found out it could be the floors are warped which makes the '72 Sanger porpois at around 70 mph. There's water under the glass, so there's bound to be some rot. How much $ am I looking at ifI do it myself ?

Materials will depend on how large and detailed your repair is. It's common to find more issues once you tear into it. If you end up unwrapping everything for a complete floor replacment the time involved can be considerable. I would suggest flipping the boat over and blueprinting the bottom along the way.

Before you do start, make sure the boat is on a good dolly or trailer and don't move the boat during your floor fix. You don't want the bottom of the hull to flex, shift or move throughout the process. Good luck!

4Waters

Reaction score
6-700!! Have you seen the price if lumber😳🤣, there is a new member looking for guidance on a similar project as well with his family boat, @Edward Chunn this is out of my wheelhouse but I know has been done by inmates.

Orangegazm

Reaction score
If you have no experience in this type of repair I would advise against it. Older boats tend to get what we call "TRAILER HOOK".... the boat literally warps around the trailer bunks.

I steer away from these jobs because I just can't charge enough. To do it correctly (as mentioned above) the boat must be blue printed and corrected before any glass/woodwork is started. I would blue print the bottom and make necessary corrections and then make a jig and screw the boat to it, then turn that jig into a dolly. When doing the lamination and wood work you have to make sure the new wood has full surface contact with the hull, if not you will have problems down the road.

Once all the lamination and wood work is done, all the finish work begins. Depending on how the glasswork comes out, you will most likely have to do at least a rough grind, mask everything off, spray under the gunnels, bulkheads, transom, down the center with black gel coat....then flow coat the whole inside. When you get finished there, flip the boat back over, remove the jig/dolly and blueprint it again. After the screw holes are filled and any other corrections are completed, re-gel coat the bottom, color sand and buff to like new finish.

Think your done.... not quite, now you will have to re-set up the all the hardware, align the strut/engine and drill all new holes to bolt it back together. It is a big undertaking, any shop that would do this job for under $15K I would be leary of.... depending on exotic wood, carbon fiber, etc. it would be well north of that. You can build a new hull faster than demoing all the wood out and rebuilding an old hull. It can be done but its no small task to do it right.

oldschool

Reaction score
If you have no experience in this type of repair I would advise against it. Older boats tend to get what we call "TRAILER HOOK".... the boat literally warps around the trailer bunks.

I steer away from these jobs because I just can't charge enough. To do it correctly (as mentioned above) the boat must be blue printed and corrected before any glass/woodwork is started. I would blue print the bottom and make necessary corrections and then make a jig and screw the boat to it, then turn that jig into a dolly. When doing the lamination and wood work you have to make sure the new wood has full surface contact with the hull, if not you will have problems down the road.

Once all the lamination and wood work is done, all the finish work begins. Depending on how the glasswork comes out, you will most likely have to do at least a rough grind, mask everything off, spray under the gunnels, bulkheads, transom, down the center with black gel coat....then flow coat the whole inside. When you get finished there, flip the boat back over, remove the jig/dolly and blueprint it again. After the screw holes are filled and any other corrections are completed, re-gel coat the bottom, color sand and buff to like new finish.

Think your done.... not quite, now you will have to re-set up the all the hardware, align the strut/engine and drill all new holes to bolt it back together. It is a big undertaking, any shop that would do this job for under $15K I would be leary of.... depending on exotic wood, carbon fiber, etc. it would be well north of that. You can build a new hull faster than demoing all the wood out and rebuilding an old hull. It can be done but its no small task to do it right.
There’s a few guys out there that will lay up a new boat for around 15k, no hardware and unrigged.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
15k for new floors? I’m having a brand new magnum or tr4 from giroux laid up for around the same price. I have a canyon runner bottom that needs floors redone, even with ridiculous prices right now I won’t be anywhere close to those prices. I’ll hang my hull on the shop ceiling before putting that cost into a 38 year old hull.

davethewave

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your input and detailed information. I can do this with the right help. Or I could bail. Im watching this thread if anyone else wants to add to my nightmare !

Orangegazm

Reaction score
15k for new floors? I’m having a brand new magnum or tr4 from giroux laid up for around the same price. I have a canyon runner bottom that needs floors redone, even with ridiculous prices right now I won’t be anywhere close to those prices. I’ll hang my hull on the shop ceiling before putting that cost into a 38 year old hull.

Funny thing is you only see a price without reading the description. Nowhere does it say just floors... this would be all wood; floors, stringers, bulkheads and transom... on top of that he said the bottom of his boat was not right.

1) What do you think a fair price would be to black out and flow coat the inside ?
Answer... probably 40+ hrs because there are always repairs; cracks, sloppy glass work, holes filled etc.
2) What do you think a fair price is to blue print, make corrections and re-gel coat a bottom ?
Answer... 40-60+ hrs depending on how bad the bottom is ?
3) What do you think it takes to build a welded jig and then mount it to an existing dolly ?
Answer... 8hrs plus steel that will be cut into scrap, as it will never fit the bottom of another boat.

None of this includes any wood work, My shop rate is $145... I have 30,000sf under roof, two paint booths ( 1-50' fully heated) a full fabrication shop with CNC plasma cutter and every welder, brake, press, shear and lathe that you could think of. I don't know of any legit shop that has a labor rate under $100... figure out the math, none of that include materials.

You can absolutely get a new boat for near the same price but that doesn't include body and paint, rigging, trailer... the list goes as deep as your pockets.

I'm not trying to bust anyones balls but you get what you pay for and if I re-did your 38 yo boat it would be straighter and nicer than any new boat.

MOUZER

Reaction score
my guy..........2500 to 4k
DSCN1206.JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
I've done a few just for fun. This is the last one if you want to get an idea of whats involved. Probably $1500 in materials and over 100 hours. but I used epoxy.

oldschool

Reaction score
I was in the middle of having the floors redone/repaired on a Hondo Sprint I picked up, but looks like I’m better off building a new boat. Anyone need a planter?

SoCalZero

Reaction score
5000 well spent. Let's see the boat.

Just made a build thread.

motormonkey

Reaction score
I was in the middle of having the floors redone/repaired on a Hondo Sprint I picked up, but looks like I’m better off building a new boat. Anyone need a planter?
Can you get a new hull for close to the same as fixing up your boat?

oldschool

Reaction score
I have half a flat bottom for a bar. And really want to hang a flat from the rafters of the garage
Let me see what I’m going to do with this thing and let you know. Hanging in someone’s garage might be better than in a dumpster.

oldschool

Reaction score
Can you get a new hull for close to the same as fixing up your boat?
By the time the inside is done and it’s painted, would be very close. AND I’d still have a 40+ year old repaired boat. There’s some damage under the deck, from sitting outside, that would be tough to fix.

cofooter

Reaction score
By the time the inside is done and it’s painted, would be very close. AND I’d still have a 40+ year old repaired boat. There’s some damage under the deck, from sitting outside, that would be tough to fix.
De-cap that can of worms, lol. There's a point where its just not worth it unless there is great sentimental value........

oldschool

Reaction score
De-cap that can of worms, lol. There's a point where its just not worth it unless there is great sentimental value........
Absolutely. I’m going to scrap it and build(have it built) a new boat.

MOUZER

Reaction score
stu will buy it he is looking for one of those stu tracer marine 714 287 1717 text him

davethewave

Reaction score
Nobody has a PROBLEM with this?
Ever see a boat that just gave up at speed?
I wish you luck. And anyone you put in that boat, well...
Give up at speed ? I said it starts to porpoise at 70+. And I or anybody that rides in it do not have a PROBLEM with it. Don't jump to conclusions that the boat is gonna break apart. I've had the boat over 40 years so I aint no rookie. I just putt around the delta and ski as much as possible..Not many 80+ MPH passes any more. If I wanna fly I'll by an airplane !