WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Az sxs registration

Shockwave25

Reaction score
Just picked up a new can am. 500 bucks for street legal Reg.. only 9 bucks cheaper for the to and from the desert option. Anyone else get this non sense?

EarpRider

Reaction score
$500???
I paid $33.00 for my 2020 Can Am last month, 10% on the Hwy/ 90% off road.

sczagurs

Reaction score
Give quick stop a call they have it all dialed in. If it’s brand new it also has to do with retail. Check the 5 year on and off road.

DLC

Reaction score
Make sure you get the 5 year sticker!

Congratulations!

riverroyal

Reaction score
Mine was roughly 500 in 2019
Full street plate deal.
If you go with the plate that means you can go on tbe street trail to trail your looking for trouble
Stop for breakfast etc, that needs full street

EarpRider

Reaction score
I drive around Havasu, Parker, Williams with the 10% St legal tag. I follow a lot of different groups and I have never heard of anyone getting cited (in these towns) for not having the 100% St leg tag. Don't do anything stupid you should be fine. Or pay an extra $450 every year. 🤷🤷

riverroyal

Reaction score
Ive heard from havasu pd they look for it. But ive nevr seen any tickets give.
Roll the bones...

EarpRider

Reaction score
Ive heard from havasu pd they look for it. But ive nevr seen any tickets give.
Roll the bones...
That would seriously surprise me, why would they care? Asking as a retired LBPD officer, I know I wouldn't have given 2 cents.
And AZ DMV basically tells you not to pay extra.

Shockwave25

Reaction score
My Rzr was 25.. brand new can am is heavier so I guess it goes off weight now. Over 1800 lbs and you gotta pay the big bucks

beerrun

Reaction score
Thats about what we paid for full street

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Mine was roughly 500 in 2019
Full street plate deal.
If you go with the plate that means you can go on tbe street trail to trail your looking for trouble
Stop for breakfast etc, that needs full street
Where does it say that? They tell you that at the MVD but I can't find anything related to breakfast or dinner.
I'm 51% primarily off road and the other 49% I can drive on the street. I'm registered and insured like any other vehicle.
If I ride 50 miles off road and 10 miles on road that would be primarily off road. How is the officer going to determine that?
Been doing it for 15 years even with our ATV's before RZR was even a word.

I know of one person that got stopped but officer let him go. Said it was happening in Bullhead, Havasu, and Parker.
This is what he had to say,
Talked my way out of it. Our DMV goes out of their way to explain to us that this tab is NOT legal for full-time over the road use. Told to me over and over. He was going to cite me for invalid / improper / missing road tabs. He said car tabs do not say OHV. He's not wrong there. Now we live in a small town with a large off-road pool of OHV's, half of our group has been cited for improper tabs. Just saying.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
1869lbs..
That's why. You're over 1800# and MVD knows it. You have to pay full VLT.
And there is no 5 year registration
Screenshot_2.png

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That would seriously surprise me, why would they care? Asking as a retired LBPD officer, I know I wouldn't have given 2 cents.
And AZ DMV basically tells you not to pay extra.

Same reason they care when your registration on your car is out of date.. revenue.

The LHC MVD is one of the places that told me they are enforcing it more now.

EarpRider

Reaction score
Same reason they care when your registration on your car is out of date.. revenue.

Stopping someone for having an unregistered vehicle is easy probably cause, and a person who doesn't register their car also doesn't have insurance and probably no license. Cops don't care about revenue.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score

Not being a smartazz but how would they enforce it? I don't think they could just pull you over and check your registration or maybe they make something up?
I thought they were eliminating the "MC" in the plate to show the diff between primarily off road and on road. How else could they tell?
I doubt they would go to a restaurant parking lot and start pulling plate numbers.

On another note I also heard the city council is tired of citizen complaints on the noise and drinking.
Rangers have been seen spying on large drinking parties in the desert
Wouldn't surprise me if they start DUI checkpoints by the Bunker Bar.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Where does it say that? They tell you that at the MVD but I can't find anything related to breakfast or dinner.
I'm 51% primarily off road and the other 49% I can drive on the street. I'm registered and insured like any other vehicle.
If I ride 50 miles off road and 10 miles on road that would be primarily off road. How is the officer going to determine that?

I know of one person that got stopped but officer let him go. Said it was happening in Bullhead, Havasu, and Parker.
Talked my way out of it. Our DMV goes out of their way to explain to us that this tab is NOT legal for full-time over the road use. Told to me over and over. He was going to cite me for invalid / improper / missing road tabs. He said car tabs do not say OHV. He's not wrong there. Now we live in a small town with a large off-road pool of OHV's, half of our group has been cited for improper tabs. Just saying.

Yup, Arizona is probably about 10 years away from being just like California...People need to vote!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not being a smartazz but how would they enforce it? I don't think they could just pull you over and check your registration or maybe they make something up?
I thought they were eliminating the "MC" in the plate to show the diff between primarily off road and on road. How else could they tell?
I doubt they would go to a restaurant parking lot and start pulling plate numbers.

On another note I also heard the city council is tired of citizen complaints on the noise and drinking.
Rangers have been seen spying on large drinking parties in the desert
Wouldn't surprise me if they start DUI checkpoints by the Bunker Bar.

UTV people do enough dumb stuff constantly to get pulled over… speeding, dumb lights turned on, not signaling, etc. even kids not in helmets seems to be a gray area.

I suppose you could tap dance around and say you are on your way to the trail, but if you just left a restaurant parking lot and they get you, that isn’t going to fly.

Like I said, they are forcing your hand wirh the 1801-2500 lb reg requirements though. They won’t care much longer because both levels of reg will be basically the same price.

I may street reg the new car in UT, I think it will be cheaper, I will just need a AZ OHV sticker annually.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I agree on the dumb stuff. I see guys all the time with their whip lights on. Just a sign to say pull me over.

Why would i get pulled over after leaving a restaurant? There is NOTHING that says i can't go to a restaurant. Before during or after a trail.
Someone needs to show me why it's illegal. I already showed state law that says primarily off road and on road. NOTHING says only to and from trail or crossing streets. NOTHING about going for ice cream.

We cruise down town Williams all the time and stop to eat and drink. Police are there all the time. We park across the street from the police station.
Even the car wash is busy. So you can't wash your ride either?
Resized_Resized_Resized_20210904_195207.jpg
Resized_20220731_104128(1).jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I agree on the dumb stuff. I see guys all the time with their whip lights on. Just a sign to say pull me over.

Why would i get pulled over after leaving a restaurant? There is NOTHING that says i can't go to a restaurant. Before during or after a trail.
Someone needs to show me why it's illegal. I already showed state law that says primarily off road and on road. NOTHING says only to and from trail or crossing streets. NOTHING about going for ice cream.

We cruise down town Williams all the time and stop to eat and drink. Police are there all the time. We park across the street from the police station.
Even the car wash is busy. So you can't wash your ride either? View attachment 1151355 View attachment 1151356

I agree, there is no easy way to enforce it. If you leave dinner with your whip light on, reasonable cause. If you don’t have a license plate light like you are supposed to .. reasonable cause. If you follow the golden rule and only break one law at a time, you’ll be fine.

It is clearly a gray area they have singled out. Like I said, it is going to be less of an issue because everyone is paying similar fees on the newer heavier cars.

I’d fight the ticket if I got one. I have always got the full road reg on the RZR because it was cheap. I’m not paying $500 a year to register a SXS for the street in AZ that I may drive 100 miles a year on, that is dumb. I’ll do UT street reg and roll the dice for AZ. It appears to be $38/year.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I wonder what the ticket would even cost. I've told you before that even if i had to pay a fine I've saved thousands over the years.
I think for my rzr it's about $135 a year now if i went full on road. It depreciates 16% per year. But I think my insurance would go way up.

We use ours but if it cost $500 a year just to register I don't think we would own one. Not for the miles we put on it.
I just checked registration cost for a base Pro R 4 at $42k. $705 for the first year lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I wonder what the ticket would even cost. I've told you before that even if i had to pay a fine I've saved thousands over the years.
I think for my rzr it's about $135 a year now if i went full on road. It depreciates 16% per year. But I think my insurance would go way up.

We use ours but if it cost $500 a year just to register I don't think we would own one. Not for the miles we put on it.
I just checked registration cost for a base Pro R 4 at $42k. $705 for the first year lol

Yea it is ridiculous. At that price I’d just get the $25 OHV sticker, and buy road insurance. The registration ticket is cheaper than the registration.

I’d be looking at a similar fee for the new Speed car…I’m sure that are going to ding us for the $42k MSRP they are today, not the $32k MSRP from 3 years ago.

77charger

Reaction score
It’s more than 1800 pounds is why it’s more. Either keep it off road only pay less or pay up for street use

Good Stuff

Reaction score

The lady there was all over me about it. Told me if I wasn’t on my way to the dirt or on my way back from the dirt I would get a ticket unless I chose primary on road. I read backwards and forwards through every actual law or description I could find online to no avail. Sure felt like a shakedown but I paid for two years and felt a little better about it.

EarpRider

Reaction score
That's crazy, I went to Havasu DMV last month, the gal I talked to said you just want the primarily off road registration right? I said yup, and paid $33 for a 2020 4 seat Can Am.

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score

It’s not a measure of proving 51/49 its act backing up the what you do … so say 3500 miles on the machine PROVE that you did 2500 miles off road… almost impossible!

I have 4200 miles on my car and really no way to prove what is on / off road mileage….

if I’m stopped ( pulled over ) on my way for gas at the short stop ( S end of town and I live at N end of town ) heading to the concrete plant PROVE iT ... there is no way! To do that

there’s really no to prove where you go and HOW you get there…..

DLC

Reaction score
if you spotted dropping off your kid at school 3 days a week for 2 weeks prove that you do 51 % off-road …..

impossible !

riverroyal

Reaction score
If full street is 400ish more and that gives me the smallest chance to not be stopped then im paying the 400

Lets not lie, nearly all SxS coolers have empty beer cans in them.

If you drive it to dinner and have a margarita i like my odds woth a full street plate.

I know i know. Dont drink and drive. Im talking for a friend,

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
So buying a full reg plate gives you less chance of being stopped?
Unless there's something on the plate that distinguishes the difference then they don't know until they look at your papers
I'm still primarily off road even if I go to dinner.
And i doubt any kind of citation issued for who knows what will not be $400.
You guys sure like to throw money away

riverroyal

Reaction score
Yes the plate looks different. Looks more like a motorcycle plate.

What ive heard...now this could be bullshit, and ive never ever seen it happen, is lets say your parked on McCulloch, a cop driving by can see the difference in plates.
IF you have the trail to trail plate obviously you are not doing that.

Will a cop actually question you? Probably not.
But can a cop question you, yes.

Once the questions start i can go any direction. Horn? Windsheild? Insurance? Blah blah.

For me, the added 400 was worth it.
The damn mirrors on the can am were $1000! So its all relevant.

Now, my sister has her can am at home in buckeye. The drive it like a daily car. The full street plate is a no brainer

77charger

Reaction score
A former az cop was explaining the partial off road vs full. Said it didnt matter if you had partial st and drive full time in the street. Think he said it had to do with the under 1800 pounds and made for off road that there was no way to be full street or something like that. Said it’s fightable in court I need to look it up again and get the code. He explained it really good I just suck at remembering things.

Not sure how this affects over 1800 pounds and most sxs are over that even a 2 seater is pushing it. My uncle has a 4 seat can am and he was not given the choice of mostly off road partial street he had 2 choices off road only or mostly street partial off road last year on renewal.

My buggy is partial street I drive it all around town locally never been bothered. But I know I’m under 1800 for sure more like 1650-1675.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
its a mc plate with 2 stickers..
the one says ohv other is the month year on one sticker(full street tag like a vehicle)).

when i had my 2016 sxs i didnt get 2 stickers. but only did partial road.
didnt want to chance it so went full street legal this time.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Yes the plate looks different. Looks more like a motorcycle plate.

What ive heard...now this could be bullshit, and ive never ever seen it happen, is lets say your parked on McCulloch, a cop driving by can see the difference in plates.
IF you have the trail to trail plate obviously you are not doing that.

Will a cop actually question you? Probably not.
But can a cop question you, yes.

Once the questions start i can go any direction. Horn? Windsheild? Insurance? Blah blah.

For me, the added 400 was worth it.
The damn mirrors on the can am were $1000! So its all relevant.

Now, my sister has her can am at home in buckeye. The drive it like a daily car. The full street plate is a no brainer
You have a higher probability of getting pulled over than me. You will go out for the margarita where I don't like those and stay home.
I've parked next to police cars on main street in Jerome. They just smile and wave.

And make sure you have DOT rated tires

The only "trail to trail" plate is the RV plate that comes with your ride
My primarily off road plate has MC and 2 stickers.
2 of my neighbors have primarily on road has MC plate and 2 stickers.
Funny thing is none of my motorcycles have MC.

I've been doing this since 2004. By your $400ish annual estimate I've saved $7200
Hey EZ, Pay the judge 2 bucks. No problem your honor.
As I renew my primarily off road registration

Last edited: