WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Reusing piston rings

Your ad here

Reaction score
I have a complete 3 cylinder kubota diesel engine I got for $150 for a project I'm working on. It ran but had some blow bye because one of the injectors washed a cylinder. Took it to a shop for a band aid fix and they got as far as honing the cylinders but parts got to expensive after the fact, about $1200 with labor so I just picked it up in pieces. A proper rebuild is $3500+. I just need a band aid fix to last 2 hours to see if the radiator on the equipment I'm installing it on will be sufficient enough to keep it cool. I don't want to put a bunch of money into a band aid fix which brings me to the piston rings. They are $110 a set and I need 3 sets. I don't want to put that much money into it for "testing purposes". Is there an old fashion way of prepping existing rings to wear to a fresh honed cylinder? If the radiator is sufficient in keeping it cool I can find a good running engine for around $1200-$2000. A lot less than rebuilding this one but to much for testing purposes.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Do you have bore diameter and ring thickness? With that you may be able to find a set that will fit. Mahle make lots of rings.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Do you have bore diameter and ring thickness? With that you may be able to find a set that will fit. Mahle make lots of rings.
This.

Or just putting new rings on the washed out cylinder.

Dan'l

outboard_256

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to get a new radiator then trying to test the current one with a unknown engine? If the engine over heat's do you really know it's the radiator's fault?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Confusis say...

There is never enough money to do something right the first time, but always enough money to do it over.