WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone interested in meeting up to talk SXS???

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
As of a week or so ago we are now new SXS owners. I am looking forward to having some seat time this winter in our new car. Spent a few years with friends on trails in our Jeep but looking to go beyond that. I’d like to see if anyone is interested in getting together to discuss tips, tricks and must haves over a beer or two somewhere in Havasu or even out on the trail. Will be in town today, tomorrow and this weekend through Monday of next week then it gets spotty for me.

DWC

Reaction score
Damn, wish we were in town. Won’t be back til the 4th.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Damn, wish we were in town. Won’t be back til the 4th.
Thank is a bummer Don. We will certainly do it while you are in town next. I know it is typically rough the day that people come into town. But we could do it on the 4th as well. We leave the morning of the 5th to go to CA for a wedding. Then we go to Hawaii for a couple of weeks. We will be back around the 29th of Nov. 👍

Reactions: DWC

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Drive it as balls-out fast as you can without running into boulders or over cliffs would be a large percentage of the rdp advisory.......so choose your riding partners wisely. 😉 😂🤣😂

One objective of the discussion is what tools, modifications and spare parts to lug around with us. I know we don’t have a Speed UTV so about 50% of spare parts are needed to be on hand to drive as you have described. LOL

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
One objective of the discussion is what tools, modifications and spare parts to lug around with us. I know we don’t have a Speed UTV so about 50% of spare parts are needed to be on hand to drive as you have described. LOL
I carry a spare belt & the couple tools to do that job on the trail, a spare, jack & lug wrench. Tow strap.
No solo deep rides.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
has the front of the car you bought had the front end done it is one of the most weakest points of the car someone with the same car can chime in on what is needed to do all that

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
I wished there was an off-road night or UTV version of Cars and Coffee somewhere in LHC, so I am game.
Let’s make it happen!!!

has the front of the car you bought had the front end done it is one of the most weakest points of the car someone with the same car can chime in on what is needed to do all that

It is stock. I was watching a video posted but must have closed the window. I watched about 1/2 of it and it was showing the bulkhead, shock towers and other areas needing improvement. The concern that I have is I don’t want to go in one direction only to find the next step is not comparable. Like spare mount and cage compatibility. I don’t want to buy a spare and mount only to change the cage down the road and have to buy another spare mount.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
First change a belt in the driveway with tools from your car!!!

Then go out to the desert 1 mile out and change a tire (I know it’s not flat)

First aid kit is a must!!!

If you want to get more in depth with the car you will need to know how to change an axle too

Read up on can am forums to point out flaws that need addressing right away

Communications is key for happy wife too!!! Rugged or pci can’t go wrong with either

Don’t worry about stereo, lights whips ect for now

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Let’s make it happen!!!

It is stock. I was watching a video posted but must have closed the window. I watched about 1/2 of it and it was showing the bulkhead, shock towers and other areas needing improvement. The concern that I have is I don’t want to go in one direction only to find the next step is not comparable. Like spare mount and cage compatibility. I don’t want to buy a spare and mount only to change the cage down the road and have to buy another spare mount.

The stuff “needed” to shore up the chassis on the Can Am is pretty universal.

The front bulkhead and rear radius rod/ hub upgrades are almost “must dos” and will save money and frustration down the road.

You comment is completely valid for the accessory part of the conversation. For a Can Am, the decision tree starts with how much storage do you want/need and do you want to carry a spare tire. If so, where?

The Chupacabra storage deal while expensive solves a lot of problems. In a Can Am that you will spend a lot of money to address with regards to tire and stuff storage. I believe it is also compatible with most of the cages out there.

As Ian said, change the belt and a tire in your garage with a beer so at least you know how to do it. That makes it way easier when/if you have to on the trail. And spend the money for the proper tools to do the belt quickly. It’s a 5 minute job if you’ve done it once or twice!

Last edited:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Also for me

I carry spare tire/air compressor/slime/patch kit Jack and impact with correct size socket
1’x1’ piece of mdf and a 4x4 for the Jack so it doesn’t sink in soft sand

Also carry spare rear axle and tools and knowledge on how to change that 18 mm sockets and wrenches for me rzr turbo s

I also carry torx and Allen keys as well as full set of metric wrenches and sockets and some std as well extensions and adaptors too

Assortment of pliers and vice grips and screw drivers

A mini sledge hammer

Bailing wire, full roll of duct tape, fuses, wire, misc connectors, wire strippers and cutters,

Also have ratchets straps, funnel, rags, d rings, tow strap, big ass screwdriver/pry bar

Belt, belt removal tool, scotch brite, gloves, knife, needle nose,

With all the being said the biggest thing you can do is prep, make sure your car is 100% tip top before taking it out so problems don’t arise. And don’t offroad alone

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
@HNL2LHC i have this tool bag from prp I have the rzr one but they make one for your car as well and it’s very compact

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Driving smart is the best tool you can have on your belt. It’s very effective at preventing breakdowns. It sounds silly, but being constantly vigilant and avoiding obstacles that cause damage will mitigate most trail repairs.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Driving smart is the best tool you can have on your belt. It’s very effective at preventing breakdowns. It sounds silly, but being constantly vigilant and avoiding obstacles that cause damage will mitigate most trail repairs.

Yes.. don’t hit wheel breaking/bending boulders 🤣

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
don’t offroad alone

I've heard this (and preached it) for most of my life off-roading. But I am a massive hypocrite on this subject. After 40 years of exploring solo, I think it is a bit short-sighted to promulgate the idea that no one should ever explore the backcountry alone but rather share best practices when inevitably, people go solo. I find great joy in a solo adventure, be it hiking, MTBiking, offroading, or other forms of recreation that take me into the backcountry. Today we have tools that make it much safer and more reassuring for our loved ones when against better judgment, we wander off.

My solo MTB trips strike me as the most dangerous since I no longer ride motorcycles offroad, which, BTW, I did primarily solo and survived some nasty crashes. With a Jeep or SXS, we have much more chances of survival than on an MTB or MC, but I rarely hear people say, "Don't MTB alone." It was common practice for me to strike out at 12 years old on my RM 80 solo, often riding way above my head, long before SPOT trackers and Cell phones.

Here are some things I do when I go wandering by myself. I don't discriminate between which transportation method I use.
I have been carrying a Spot tracker for the last 15 years; today, I have a Garmin Montana with a distress function.
I leave a detailed plan with my wife of where I am going and check in regularly. If the terrain is rugged, I will send an update of GPS cords from my MotionX GPS app when I have cell service. If not, I use Garmin.
I take more water than I need, and I carry a reserve. When I am not in the desert, I have a LifeStraw.
I have a collection of things I hope I don't need. Pancho, Multi-tool, knife, paracord, first aid kit with a splint, Snake bite kit, ankle, and knee braces. Ect Ect.
When I can find one, I carry a paper map and compass. Sometimes I practice with the compass and map for fun. Even if you don't go cross-country, you can use the topo features and your compass to pinpoint features on the map. I'm not great at it, but it is fun learning; thankfully, I've not yet been lost.
I can make a fire in multiple ways.

I don't take unnecessary risks when I am solo. I think this is likely the best advice I could provide. I am pretty conservative when I am solo and have walked my MTB down terrain features I want to attempt, but I know if I crash and get hurt, I will create a situation that will affect others.

In the early years of King of the Hammers, we did not have a lot of money or support. I was the guy who laid out the race course. I did it on a CR 500, almost always alone in pretty shitty weather conditions. I'm still alive. I've pre-run the BK1 with a single vehicle, and some of my favorite stories are fixing broke shit with ducktape, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, wondering how we will get home. There is nothing better than the complete silence of these activities solo. But it comes with risk.

Years ago, when I lived in Reno, a family went missing in the dead of winter. He rolled the jeep on a snow-covered section of a graded dirt road. It took 3 or 4 days, but they found them. They stayed with the vehicle and had enough provisions to survive. Had he had a SPOT tracker, they likely would have found him much sooner. His Blue tarp stretched out with rocks spelling SOS helped the day since it snowed and covered all the tracks.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I've heard this (and preached it) for most of my life off-roading. But I am a massive hypocrite on this subject. After 40 years of exploring solo, I think it is a bit short-sighted to promulgate the idea that no one should ever explore the backcountry alone but rather share best practices when inevitably, people go solo. I find great joy in a solo adventure, be it hiking, MTBiking, offroading, or other forms of recreation that take me into the backcountry. Today we have tools that make it much safer and more reassuring for our loved ones when against better judgment, we wander off.

My solo MTB trips strike me as the most dangerous since I no longer ride motorcycles offroad, which, BTW, I did primarily solo and survived some nasty crashes. With a Jeep or SXS, we have much more chances of survival than on an MTB or MC, but I rarely hear people say, "Don't MTB alone." It was common practice for me to strike out at 12 years old on my RM 80 solo, often riding way above my head, long before SPOT trackers and Cell phones.

Here are some things I do when I go wandering by myself. I don't discriminate between which transportation method I use.
I have been carrying a Spot tracker for the last 15 years; today, I have a Garmin Montana with a distress function.
I leave a detailed plan with my wife of where I am going and check in regularly. If the terrain is rugged, I will send an update of GPS cords from my MotionX GPS app when I have cell service. If not, I use Garmin.
I take more water than I need, and I carry a reserve. When I am not in the desert, I have a LifeStraw.
I have a collection of things I hope I don't need. Pancho, Multi-tool, knife, paracord, first aid kit with a splint, Snake bite kit, ankle, and knee braces. Ect Ect.
When I can find one, I carry a paper map and compass. Sometimes I practice with the compass and map for fun. Even if you don't go cross-country, you can use the topo features and your compass to pinpoint features on the map. I'm not great at it, but it is fun learning; thankfully, I've not yet been lost.

I don't take unnecessary risks when I am solo. I think this is likely the best advice I could provide. I am pretty conservative when I am solo and have walked my MTB down terrain features I want to attempt, but I know if I crash and get hurt, I will create a situation that will affect others.

In the early years of King of the Hammers, we did not have a lot of money or support. I was the guy who laid out the race course. I did it on a CR 500, almost always alone in pretty shitty weather conditions. I'm still alive. I've pre-run the BK1 with a single vehicle, and some of my favorite stories are fixing broke shit with ducktape, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, wondering how we will get home. There is nothing better than the complete silence of these activities solo. But it comes with risk.

Years ago, when I lived in Reno, a family went missing in the dead of winter. He rolled the jeep on a snow-covered section of a graded dirt road. It took 3 or 4 days, but they found them. They stayed with the vehicle and had enough provisions to survive. Had he had a SPOT tracker, they likely would have found him much sooner. His Blue tarp stretched out with rocks spelling SOS helped the day since it snowed and covered all the tracks.

Well thought out - great post. But for most people who don't follow your detailed list of precautions, "don't offroad alone" is still the best advice.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I wished there was an off-road night or UTV version of Cars and Coffee somewhere in LHC, so I am game.
I think river, Dave and a few peeps did that pretty regular a couple years ago, I think maybe his broken foot got in the way of that. If I could’ve found it, I would’ve linked one of the threads.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think river, Dave and a few peeps did that pretty regular a couple years ago, I think maybe his broken foot got in the way of that. If I could’ve found it, I would’ve linked one of the threads.

After one of those they did a night ride and because no one used their radios they had several people break wheels or get flats on the same rock sitting in the trail.

I don’t think Coors consumption was the cause at all :)

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score

When I lived in Reno, I did a lot of solo rides from my house in Spanish Springs. Usually a 50 mile loop of known trails training for the MRANN desert series, had a couple of pretty good crashes over the years. I had weekdays off, so not always someone to ride with. Always tried to stay 9/10ths to be safe, but shit happens off road. Your comment about the quietness by yourself brings back memories for sure. I was very lucky to have had such great terrain to ride and thankful I never got hurt bad by myself, over 20 years living there I'm guessing 500 solo rides. I only had to call for help 1 time because of a crankcase puncture, 20 degrees out with the sun going down. Pre ride maintenance is the most important thing IMHO.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
When I lived in Reno, I did a lot of solo rides from my house in Spanish Springs. Usually a 50 mile loop of known trails training for the MRANN desert series, had a couple of pretty good crashes over the years. I had weekdays off, so not always someone to ride with. Always tried to stay 9/10ths to be safe, but shit happens off road. Your comment about the quietness by yourself brings back memories for sure. I was very lucky to have had such great terrain to ride and thankful I never got hurt bad by myself, over 20 years living there I'm guessing 500 solo rides. I only had to call for help 1 time because of a crankcase puncture, 20 degrees out with the sun going down. Pre ride maintenance is the most important thing IMHO.

This is key… not driving 10/10s out there, and pre ride maintenance.

I try to keep is at a 7-8 tenths on adult runs and about 6 with the kids.

Sometimes you just hit those fun roads where it is hard to hold back though.

Stuff usually lasts a lot longer that way too :)

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Sorry to have missed ya, I gotta go back to work for "two weeks". Lots of fun facts... Too many for just a beer, might need a pitcher. I feel like we have been all over the map recently, UTV Championships in Barstow, UTV Takeover in Sand Hollow, Best in Desert in Laughlin and back to Havasu. Even a drive by at the RedBull Rampage whil in UT. Gonna skip Camp RZR in Glamis. Drop me a text, happy to help with some lessons learned.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Sorry to have missed ya, I gotta go back to work for "two weeks". Lots of fun facts... Too many for just a beer, might need a pitcher. I feel like we have been all over the map recently, UTV Championships in Barstow, UTV Takeover in Sand Hollow, Best in Desert in Laughlin and back to Havasu. Even a drive by at the RedBull Rampage whil in UT. Gonna skip Camp RZR in Glamis. Drop me a text, happy to help with some lessons learned.
Wow, and I thought my schedule was busy/full. We might need more than a pitcher. Maybe a case or keg is in order. I will reach out as needed. Thanks for the offer. 👍

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Wow, and I thought my schedule was busy/full. We might need more than a pitcher. Maybe a case or keg is in order. I will reach out as needed. Thanks for the offer. 👍

My wife will ask me if there is anything she can do for me to help, all I can say is I need 🧭

I just don't have time in my schedule for shit! So, when I do take time, I make it worth it!!!

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Tim, maybe you can combine threads? You know, like SxS meet up, best pizza in town, coldest beer in town, Booty thread, and we could all talk about when our Speed's will be delivered!

Good IdeaR however my simple mind only allows a few items to be juggled at one time. I just have capacity for the SXS and Boat Whipz at this time. Perhaps someone with greater mental agility could help you with your suggestion. LOL

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
As of a week or so ago we are now new SXS owners. I am looking forward to having some seat time this winter in our new car. Spent a few years with friends on trails in our Jeep but looking to go beyond that. I’d like to see if anyone is interested in getting together to discuss tips, tricks and must haves over a beer or two somewhere in Havasu or even out on the trail. Will be in town today, tomorrow and this weekend through Monday of next week then it gets spotty for me.

Anytime.. :)

I think I was talking to you about a weekly or every other week meetup for rdp in general

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I told Stacy to not buy tickets because of my ankle surgery. She ended up buying a couple anyways and my surgery got postponed.. lol. We will be there
Return of the late crew!

Sweet. I’m getting my ticket tonight.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Meetings that week but should be back in Havasu on the 8th. Any info on the event?

Sounds like yore going.

70 mile loop, usually card stops have snacks. About 300 cars typically so just let everyone spread out. There will be some dust unless we get a little rain right before. $90 per car.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Desert Bash usually sells out right ? Not sure if that date will work but may buy a ticket incase we can make it.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
When I got my Cam Am I beefed up my front suspension. Full Gusset kit, shock tower support and front number. You can do it yourself but easier with an extra set of hand or just use tie downs. Spare tire, first aid kit, extra belt and GPS. All the other accessories are nice but not a must. If it’s a 64 car don’t do donuts. Ask me how I know.

Picture of me in the process beefing up the front end.

4E7F0616-7F09-49AF-9A6B-C140BAEB6485.jpeg

0ADAF274-D32E-4FD3-B60A-712D2EA0A4D8.jpeg

riverroyal

Reaction score
I agree with everyone here but...I will tell you what I have.
My x3 is 2019 RC. So 2 seater. NO front bulk head stuff.
I did change the shock tower to a zrp billet version as well as rear radius plate.

Car has 2800 miles on it.
100 in the dunes. 2000 in havasu dirt and the rest street.
I've seen the broke front ends but never in havasu. There are not as many 'G out' or heavy compression sections.
Doesn't mean it won't break. But at 2800 I see no signs of stress.

I had a pretty smart can am guy tell me once you reinforce one area the stress will find another. Which is simple physics.

Spare tire
Jack.
Some tools, I have a laptop back pack with tools under my passenger seat
Jack, I had a massive can am jack. It was recalled at 400 bucks so I replaced it with a 25 dollar bottle jack.
Spare belt
Tire plug kit and 12v compressor
Tow strap
Those are you up front things

Then set the ride height to 16 inches front and rear.
Turn your high speed and low speed on the shocks to 1 to 2 turn from full soft.
Rebound about 15 clicks.
Air pressure at 10.

Let er rip

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Come on by my house this weekend and have a beer. You can also sell me some doors and windows for my Riviera house.

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Tim first off get your tickets to Desert Bash . I'll hit you up next time we're in town and talk SXS . You can come by and see what we have done to Debbie's car so far Radius Rods , front bulk head , 32in tires , lower doors , Shock Therapy suspension , chase lights etc . A few must haves are
Rugged or Pci radio
Spare tire
Tow strap
Tools
Flash light
GPS we use Leadnav and ride command on an IPad
Plenty of booze
Hippy lettuce

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
For gps I went with a 10.5 samsung tablet and a GPS puck. Then paid GAIA nav app.
All in is under 300.
Plus tablet holder....

A big dog Lowrance would be better but 3x the price. .
The Samsung tablet has spotify on it. Use my cell Hotspot. Its nice having music control on the same device.