WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

NAVY PILOT!!!

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proud does not come close to describing how I feel right now. My son grew up dreaming of being a navy pilot. My Mom and Dad would take him to every open cockpit day at March Air Base as he grew up. Unfortunately, he got my wife's vision. By the time he was 16 his prescription was a +8.5 and knew that flying for the Navy was not going to be possible. After taking a year off after high school, he joined the Navy with the goal of becoming a Nuclear Engineer. He was 2 months from graduating the program when he was selected to attend the Naval Academy. Since he was enlisted he had to spend one year at the Naval Academy Prep School (where he made lifelong friends). While at NAPS, he learned that in your junior year, the Navy fixes your vision with Lasik or RFPK if your vision is worse than 20/30. That was great and all but he then learned that he would qualify to be a pilot once he was 20/20! Flash forward to last year and he learned that he had a SLAP tear in his right shoulder from years of Okinawan weapons training, swimming and weight lifting. No longer was he cleared for flight. At the end of summer he had surgery on the shoulder and once again, is cleared to fly.

Today is Service Selection at the Academy and it is official, our son will be a Navy Pilot!

IMG_3557.JPG

61077.jpeg

61075.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That is cool! Perseverance and a strong mental attitude pays off!
Parents and son have every right to be proud.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Congrats, that is no small feat!!!! 👍

C-2

Reaction score
So bitchen, great job! Even though I don't personally know you guys, I feel proud for you and your son. 👍

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Awesomeness!

bocco

Reaction score
Very proud day. Glad to see the persistence paid off.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
Congrats to your son!! Good luck to him and all that he will accomplish in his future.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Wow....Awesome...when only 1% can make it to that level and it means even more with the setbacks he had!

Riverhound

Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS to him and Mom and Dad... What an amazing accomplishment

OC Mike

Reaction score
F---ing AWESOME.....
I love a happy ending..:cool::cool::cool:

Xring01

Reaction score
It very rewarding to see your kids achieve their goals…
Congrats…

havasuhusker

Reaction score
That kicks ass! Perseverance pays off. Congratulations to your son and good luck in his flying career.

Boat211

Reaction score
That is about as good as it gets. So happy for him as it's been a life long dream. Congratulations to him and your family.

cole_skier

Reaction score
That is amazing! Congratulations to your whole family and thank you to your son for his service to his country.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Congrats to him. Hard work pays off, sounds like you put in some work over the years guiding this young man. So congrats to you and your wife too.

Last edited:

rightytighty

Reaction score
Congrats!

I think that would be a bucket list career for any person who loves machinery, including every single board member here.

Not sure who who is more proud. Dad, Son or maybe both equally?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I had a dream of becoming a navy pilot too, but like your son I have bad vision that I can’t fix. This is awesome!!!!! I feel proud to be an American cuz of this picture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats!

I think that would be a bucket list career for any person who loves machinery, including every single board member here.

Not sure who who is more proud. Dad, Son or maybe both equally?
As a lifelong boater, his major is actually Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. He designed an offshore racing cat as a Capstone project.

And, I can't seem to get this smile off my face!🤣

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Proud does not come close to describing how I feel right now. My son grew up dreaming of being a navy pilot. My Mom and Dad would take him to every open cockpit day at March Air Base as he grew up. Unfortunately, he got my wife's vision. By the time he was 16 his prescription was a +8.5 and knew that flying for the Navy was not going to be possible. After taking a year off after high school, he joined the Navy with the goal of becoming a Nuclear Engineer. He was 2 months from graduating the program when he was selected to attend the Naval Academy. Since he was enlisted he had to spend one year at the Naval Academy Prep School (where he made lifelong friends). While at NAPS, he learned that in your junior year, the Navy fixes your vision with Lasik or RFPK if your vision is worse than 20/30. That was great and all but he then learned that he would qualify to be a pilot once he was 20/20! Flash forward to last year and he learned that he had a SLAP tear in his right shoulder from years of Okinawan weapons training, swimming and weight lifting. No longer was he cleared for flight. At the end of summer he had surgery on the shoulder and once again, is cleared to fly.

Today is Service Selection at the Academy and it is official, our son will be a Navy Pilot!

View attachment 1173169
View attachment 1173170
View attachment 1173171
Congrats to your son!! I was also told “no” to Flight School more times than I can count, kept going until I got a yes. He’s going to have a blast in Pensacola!

Picture from winging ceremony:
736F9F67-D0DF-454A-A0A1-E1C0B21A6C6C.jpeg

RichL

Reaction score
What a great story. Congratulations to all.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Shit I am proud as fuck for you and your son!

Elite does not even come close, he's in the .001% of the nation like a Seal!

Great job as a family !

Congrats!

500bbc

Reaction score

View attachment 1173169
View attachment 1173170
View attachment 1173171
Outstanding!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Awesome news! Congrats!

Always was my dream job growing up, but yah can’t fix color blindness unfortunately.

Aces & Eights

Reaction score
You must be beaming with pride. I’m excited for you, your family and that amazing son of yours.

Mike K

Reaction score
Lived at Bainbridge NTC ... Where NAPS was … my dad was center commander back in the day.
Great life for me as a dependant.
You gotta be major proud of him !
So happy for you and him .
Cheers.

Dunerking

Reaction score
Congrats to your son and a clear example of never giving up!

DWC

Reaction score
Impressive AF. Congrats.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
What a proud moment for a parent and an honor for your son. Sooo awesome!