WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Starting our forever home in North Idaho... Finally!

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Great Monday morning to you all! After 16 months of planning, designing (winging it), dirt work, waiting on the county, and then waiting on our contractor, our house footings were finally poured this morning! To say we are excited is an understatement! We are doing as much of the process ourselves as we can. Photo dump of the process up to this point:

Momma said if we're doing this, it has to be new, big, and lots of slides. So in June 2021 we went out and found the new "house", '21 Avalanche 365MB, quad slides. Middle slide is a 2nd bedroom/office, which was a requirement because I work from home. We're feeling really good about our plan of 18 months from start to finish and just one winter in the 5th wheel....🤣 And yes that's a 6.0, and no it hasn't left me stranded every time we go somewhere. And yes I know I need air bags. Did I cover all the bases for the truck critics/towing police?
IMG_5040.jpeg

July 2021 The day we closed on the property. 5 Acres in a hidden valley just outside of town.
IMG_5152.jpeg

Started clearing trees and mowing the field where the shop and house is going.
IMG_5171.jpeg

Looking back at the property from the creek.property line.
IMG_5187.jpeg

Timber!
IMG_5245.jpeg

Got the mini in to start cutting in the driveway.
IMG_5261.jpeg

Cutting the trench in from the road for power.
IMG_5265.jpeg

400Amp power panel. 200Amp for the house and 200Amp for the shop and barn.
IMG_5288.jpeg

My son works for one of the excavation companies here in town so we had access to a lot of equipment thruout this process. Time to bring in the big guns to make quick work of the rest of the driveway and bldg pads.
IMG_5289.jpeg

We really wanted to build the shop first so we had shelter for the winter, but watching the craziness of lumber prices I wasn't sure it was going to fit in our budget. OSB at one point was up to $90/sheet here, we timed it right when the price dropped to $14/sheet. Still stupid expensive, but fit the budget so we ordered it and started the pad for the shop.
IMG_5295.jpeg

There's no water onsite, and we've been on the list for a couple of the well drilling companies since May 2021, their estimate of when they could get out to us was 12 months. Had to come up with a plan. Picked up 2 1500 gallon tanks and a shallow well pump with pressure tank, run hoses from that setup to our 5th wheel.
IMG_5321.jpeg

Lumber delivery.
IMG_5376.jpeg

We had an issue with the county approving our shop plans. The engineer that drew them up put all the specs on the front page. All the other pages of plans were generic and didn't provide any details directly related to our shop. The hold up with the county was that page 1 spec'd the proper snow load, but page 2 said a lower spec unless specified otherwise. We couldn't wait while we got that straightened out, so we moved forward with the build and would deal with the permit issues after. 40 x 60 x 16 pole barn posts ready for concrete. At this point I started thinking I should have gone bigger! 😄
IMG_5384.jpeg

My boy being a monkey setting trusses.
IMG_5420.jpeg

Main structure. 14x14 doors to make sure I can fit anything I want in there.
IMG_5424.jpeg

Getting the inside graded while finishing the sheeting.
IMG_5475.jpeg

We really started getting some weather at this point. Lots of rain turning the dirt into mud making it difficult to get up the driveway. We had to push the trucks up the driveway with the skidsteer... better get some rock down soon!
IMG_5497.jpeg

480 tons of 3" minus rock, and we've got a driveway. At some point after all the construction is done we want to put asphalt down.
IMG_5502.jpeg

We got the rock down just in time to get the 5th wheel moved in as the first snow dropped. The 14x14 doors started feeling a little small as I was backing the trailer in for the first time.
IMG_5513.jpeg

Finished spreading the rock in the shop and got both trailers moved in and set for the winter. Smaller trailer is my sons.
IMG_5572.jpeg

Construction was halted for the winter at this point, but we had a lot of scraps/tree limbs piled up. So we decided to have a bonfire for New Years! If I remember right, it was 1* out. But everyone was feeling fine!
IMG_5661.jpeg

We had some big visitors over winter.
4697C3D1-0897-4672-A504-6A7B3D2E2DDA.jpeg

Spring finally came and we got back to work, for a little bit anyways. First order of business was getting the septic system in. We had a pump truck come in every two weeks for our black tanks.
IMG_5747.jpeg

We had a REALLY wet and late spring so we were delayed getting other things moving. It wasn't until June when we were able to make any headway on the house pad. Got that wrapped up in a weekend.
IMG_5934.jpeg

IMG_5951.jpeg

Because we're building on a slope, when we got the house pad finished we had a 15 foot drop off down to the natural slope.
IMG_6197.jpeg

The original plan was to build a big covered deck off the back of the house overlooking the meadow, but momma wasn't happy with that. So option 2 was to build the deck with stairs down to a lower level that we would build up. That didn't work for momma either, so option 3 was to bring in dirt to build up to match the house pad. She wanted a big flat grass area for the grandkids. So we went to work trucking dirt in. A LOT of dirt! The company my son works for does mostly commercial work, where they have to strip most of the topsoil from their job sites. So we worked out a deal and had them dump the topsoil here instead of paying to dump it at the local pit. Win-Win for both of us. I figured a couple hundred super dumper loads was going to be more than enough, but that clearly wasn't the case. Approx. 500 loads at 25 tons each later and we had built it up enough.
IMG_6200.jpeg

IMG_6226.jpeg

We were finally able to get the permit issue on the shop straightened out and got the framing inspection signed off allowing us to finally get the metal up. Just a couple more pieces of trim to finish up the outside.
IMG_6248.jpeg

More waiting for the contractor and they finally showed up last week to start the footings.
IMG_6266.jpeg

Last edited:

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
What an exciting opportunity. Congratulations. Looks great and what a great experience to work with your son.

On a side note, if you'd get a third axle on the trailer a F-150 would suffice;)

sonicss31

Reaction score
Such a positive thread. Congratulations on all aspects. Keep it coming, I’m hooked. :cool:

X Hoser

Reaction score
Just outside which town? We are building in Rathdrum. Living in our 5th wheel in CDA.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Just outside which town? We are building in Rathdrum. Living in our 5th wheel in CDA.
Small world! We're building in Rathdrum as well. We're off Highway 53 and Hidden Valley just west of town. Where are you building? And where are you staying?

X Hoser

Reaction score
Small world! We're building in Rathdrum as well. We're off Highway 53 and Hidden Valley just west of town. Where are you building? And where are you staying?
Staying at Tamarack off Government in CDA. (Next to Costco). Been here since September. Building in the Lone Mountain Estates off Chilco and Ramsey. Just under 7 acres. Scheduled completion is the first week of February. It’s a Timbered Ridge Development project. Very happy with them so far. No shop yet, will come later.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Any architectural plans? Keep us updated, love it.
We're building a Modern Farmhouse style single story rancher, NO STAIRS. A little over 2400sq ft 4bed 2 1/2 bath. 4th bedroom is smaller and will be my office. When the build is done we start a timbered covered back patio overlooking the meadow, that's when the rear of the house will start to take shape.
Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 7.43.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 7.43.53 PM.png

Staying at Tamarack off Government in CDA. (Next to Costco). Been here since September. Building in the Lone Mountain Estates off Chilco and Ramsey. Just under 7 acres. Scheduled completion is the first week of February. It’s a Timbered Ridge Development project. Very happy with them so far. No shop yet, will come later.
We looked at Lone Mountain Estates, great area to build. Post your build, would love to see it.

X Hoser

Reaction score
I’ll start another thread so as not to jack yours. Great floor plan and area you are building in. I also have a Ring Video of my daughters house this am of a moose on her front porch. She is in Phase 2 of the Lone Mountain Estates about 2 miles north of us. Sent you a PM

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
We're building a Modern Farmhouse style single story rancher, NO STAIRS. A little over 2400sq ft 4bed 2 1/2 bath. 4th bedroom is smaller and will be my office. When the build is done we start a timbered covered back patio overlooking the meadow, that's when the rear of the house will start to take shape.
View attachment 1172384
View attachment 1172383

We looked at Lone Mountain Estates, great area to build. Post your build, would love to see it.
That’s going to be amazing! Congrats!

X Hoser

Reaction score
These guys up here work in any kind of conditions! I’m impressed.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Forms stripped, lumber delivered today, framers are supposed to start tomorrow. Perfect timing for the next storm to roll in tomorrow afternoon. Depending on which weatherperson you listen to, they're saying up to 6" more of the white stuff. Not ideal timing for me to travel to So Cal for work, for the next 2 weeks! How am I supposed to keep them on their toes not being there?! LOL
Hoping the wife keeps up on the pics while I'm away.

IMG_3816.jpg

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Awesome, I really enjoy these threads too! Keep posting updates, so cool to see stuff like this!

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Been out of town for the last week with another week to go and the wifes pictures have been lacking, but she came thru with a decent pic today, Framing crew(if you can call 1 guy and his younger son a crew) has been busy working thru the cold and snow we've been getting.

Floor joists are in! Wish I was there to slide a level across that to see how good they are...😁
IMG_3865.jpg

Hoping we (my son) can get the foundation back filled this weekend, but it's not looking like the best time to transport heavy equipment. The roads have been iced up pretty good, so I'd rather not take any chances if it's not 100% necessary.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Suppose to get a pretty good storm coming in next week. Hopefully they can sheet it off before the buildup fills up with snow. If you need me to do anything like take pictures or throw a level let me know.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Suppose to get a pretty good storm coming in next week. Hopefully they can sheet it off before the buildup fills up with snow. If you need me to do anything like take pictures or throw a level let me know.
They got it sheeted today. I'm assuming they'll start standing up walls tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Looks like I'll be getting home just in time for that storm.

Thanks for the offer! My wife is supposed to get more pics in the morning.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Got back home yesterday to see exactly what I thought. Almost all of the walls are up and trusses are scheduled for next Wednesday. Framers have been moving pretty good for such a small crew.
Last update from the wife:
IMG_6358.JPG

Master Bedroom. Yes I still call it the Master and not the pc bullshit!
IMG_3908.jpg

Dining/9' Slider out to the patio
IMG_3909.jpg

Kitchen
IMG_3910.jpg

Which brings us to this morning that started with shoveling 4" of fresh powder out of the house.
69333375589__0A1C549C-9A3E-4B02-AEFD-6E32660F102A.jpg

Back of the house
IMG_6381.jpg

Front
IMG_6382.jpg

More pics tomorrow after the last of the walls are up!

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
We took some time off for Christmas with our little family. When we moved here we started a new tradition of dinner at the CDA Resort on Christmas Eve.
IMG_6445.jpg

Back to work but it's not all unicorns and rainbows. We've had a pretty heavy early snowfall, followed by record low temps, followed by an extraordinary amount of rain. Woke up to our shop completely flooded Tuesday morning.
My truck looked exactly the same:
IMG_6470.jpg

IMG_6471.jpg

Wednesday the 28th started out better with our trusses being delivered.
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 10.02.50 AM.png

It was a tight fit getting down the driveway. The trusses just kissed the tree.
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 10.03.27 AM.png

IMG_6475.jpg

And it wouldn't be right if it wasn't snowing like crazy!
IMG_6478.MOV.jpg

IMG_6480.jpg

IMG_6482.jpg

Which takes us to the delivery truck leaving... everything is iced up pretty good at this point and we have a decently sloped driveway. Time to call in the wrecker which was able to pull the truck up the driveway with out any issues.
IMG_6483.jpg

I took some time yesterday to run a level on all the walls to check plum and square and straight. Turns out the framers are doing a pretty bang up job. One minor issue that I found was the window in the kitchen is framed as a 5040 and should be a 5030. Easy fix and we'll keep moving forward.
IMG_6484.jpg

Looking forward to getting the trusses stood up and getting a roof on soon!

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Framers are cranking away, almost all of the trusses are stood up and a lot of blocking is in place. Excited to see the shape of the house.
IMG_6497.jpg

IMG_6498.jpg

I took the KRX across the meadow to see what it looks like from the other side.
IMG_6500.jpg

Last edited:

X Hoser

Reaction score
Lookin Good! The workers up here are animals! Snow, cold, rain or wind they are there ready to work! No excuses! Ours is coming along great. Suppose to get the keys February 7th. We’ll have to have a cold one, or a hot one, soon!

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Lookin Good! The workers up here are animals! Snow, cold, rain or wind they are there ready to work! No excuses! Ours is coming along great. Suppose to get the keys February 7th. We’ll have to have a cold one, or a hot one, soon!
Awesome to hear you’re getting close!
Let me know about the cold one. I’m available pretty much anytime.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Framers are getting close to being wrapped up, pending inspection. All fascia is up and they are working on sheeting the roof now. Other trades are getting lined up to be here within the next week or so.
One of my main concerns starting the build so late in the year was the amount of moisture everything is being exposed to. I'm really pushing to get the roof, or at least some felt on ASAP so we can keep most of the wet stuff out. I've been reassured by both the builder and the framing crew that we shouldn't have any issues with the moisture, but it still bothers me. Anyone have some knowledge/experience on how the sheeting materials handle the moisture and subsequent drying? Any long term issues?

IMG_6518.jpg
IMG_6519.jpg
IMG_6520.jpg
IMG_6515.jpg

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Not a lot of progress these last couple weeks. Shear inspection passed with no issues. Waiting on the plumber to get started, supposed to be here this week.
Cleaning up last weekend I stopped to take a break and enjoyed the view from the kitchen.
IMG_6547.jpg

Roofing materials are being delivered today.
IMG_6548.jpg

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
25elmn8r, Why does the house have a raised foundation?

Looks Great.

Ricks raft

Reaction score

Looks Great.
Can’t speak for the OP. But I think any of us in plumbing, electric, hvac, A/V(me), hate slabs and stucco. Raised is easy to add update or repair any of those items. And raised doesn’t hold the cold or heat like a slab does.

also props to the workers, locally guys will work in some weather but not in that stuff. I hate being cold and getting worse as I get older. Miserable. And as I write this, headed to Yosemite west today for a couple jobs, 2’ snow and high in the 30’s.😫

25Elmn8r

Reaction score

Looks Great.
Can’t speak for the OP. But I think any of us in plumbing, electric, hvac, A/V(me), hate slabs and stucco. Raised is easy to add update or repair any of those items. And raised doesn’t hold the cold or heat like a slab does.

also props to the workers, locally guys will work in some weather but not in that stuff. I hate being cold and getting worse as I get older. Miserable. And as I write this, headed to Yosemite west today for a couple jobs, 2’ snow and high in the 30’s.😫

Angler, Pretty much all new construction here is raised foundation, unless your doing radiant floor heat. Slabs without radiant heat aren't recommended in cold climates due to the freezing and thawing thruout winter.

Ricks raft, the guys have been great. Very surprising that they have continued to work thru these cold snaps that we're having. Framers were working in 5*, and now the plumbers are here today when it's in the teens.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Plumbers showed up yesterday to get all of the roof penetrations done. They also set the tub in the second bathroom.
IMG_4135.jpg

Windows and exterior doors were delivered yesterday. Siding guys are here this morning getting the house wrapped and windows installed.
IMG_6557.jpg

Roofers are also here today getting that going.
IMG_6558.jpg

Coyotes are going crazy in the field this morning. February is mating season. I ran them off with a couple close shots, none of that nonsense happening here... 🤣

X Hoser

Reaction score
I had a conversation with a local guy and he said it is legal to shoot the “Dogs”, as they call them, 24/7, 365 a year. Keep that population in check! Might want to verify this before getting yourself in trouble tho ;)

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I had a conversation with a local guy and he said it is legal to shoot the “Dogs”, as they call them, 24/7, 365 a year. Keep that population in check! Might want to verify this before getting yourself in trouble tho ;)
What happens in Hidden Valley stays in Hidden Valley!

We'll be out with Thermal vision tonight ☠️

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Couple quick pics. Roof is done!
IMG_6564 (1).jpg

Windows and doors are in! Need to finish the house wrap. Siding crew is a few weeks out.
IMG_6559 (1).jpg

Friday night we had a herd of elk come thru. Not the best pic, it was pretty much dark and I was zoomed all the way in with my phone. Better pics in the future once we get moved in and get my good camera out of storage.
IMG_6576 (1).jpg

Not a lot happening this week. HVAC and Electrical scheduled for next Monday.
Hoping we can finally get the foundation and garage back filled soon. Would really like to get the flatwork design figured out and ready to pour.
I also need to get trenches dug for water and septic.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Couple quick pics. Roof is done!
View attachment 1196851
Windows and doors are in! Need to finish the house wrap. Siding crew is a few weeks out.
View attachment 1196854
Friday night we had a herd of elk come thru. Not the best pic, it was pretty much dark and I was zoomed all the way in with my phone. Better pics in the future once we get moved in and get my good camera out of storage.
View attachment 1196855

Not a lot happening this week. HVAC and Electrical scheduled for next Monday.
Hoping we can finally get the foundation and garage back filled soon. Would really like to get the flatwork design figured out and ready to pour.
I also need to get trenches dug for water and septic.
Getting it weather tight is a huge milestone. Get some heaters going and make it comfortable on the crews working inside. Will move along quickly now!