WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

mud, snow, 3pmsf tires

wzuber

Reaction score
Hi all, ima looking for insights from the experienced and knowledgeable peeps here on snow tires specifically. Wifes moving to SLC Utah next month for work and want her to have a good quality tire on her 2019 Chevy Traverse Redline edition. The current tires are the OEM Continental crosscontact LX20 with 63K miles and ready to be changed out. Tire size is a 255/55 R20 H M S. Ima thinking I would prefer a 3PMSF rated tire for our first yr there at least. I will be going back and forth as I finish up preparing and selling our R.E here, liquidating some tools, parts etc. Gettin da fuq outa this kommie state.......
What kinda recommendations do you have? Also, if you have a recommendation for a tire store in SLC area (Halladay, cottonwood etc.) That would be great as well.

TIA

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Im pretty happy with my Firestone destination LE2's- I travel through level 1 chain control all the time here in the sierras. It M&S though not 3 peak.

The Michelin cross climate 2's also do great in the snow. Pretty sure these are 3 peak.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
No experience with any of these. But you could search them on you tube for real world reviews.

5F301B3F-0651-4EDF-90A2-6C928344F9FD.png
2E806913-FE73-422B-8DE2-47CBA2C61E52.png
F4690A97-6A9A-4004-8EEE-205819A7CD09.png

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
3PMSF tires are not true winter tires. They only have a level of grip better than non winter tires in the longitudinal direction only.

If you have moved to a real winter area, look at Blizzaks and other real winter tires. You won’t need studding but a real winter tire will be night and day difference over a 3MPSF tire.

If you don’t feel conditions warrant a dedicated winter tire (ie temps above 40 or so more than not) then a 3PMSF might be good enough.

As for 3PMSF tires a lot of the all terrains carry that rating, for example the falken wildpeak at3W (the w matters) and the Toyo AT3, and a few others. They come in both P and LT, I’d stick with P for you.

If you want more of a car tire there are some good ones. Goodyear weather ready is one, and Michelin has an odd looking but apparently good tire for snow (cant remember the name).

The secret to a good “snow” tires (and what makes the winter tires very good) is soft compound and fairly open tread that allows snow to pack, and as much siping as can be had.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
IMHO no special tire are needed for Salt Lake. they do a good job of clearing the roads, she should be fine with an all terrain tire

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
All of the above being said, I run Toyo AT3 on my Yukon on a winter rim (black, which hides dirt). Never do a chrome wheel where they salt the roads, it will eat the chrome right off it.

I switch the Toyos out for a non 3PMSF tire outside of the winter months (april to November) as no point in wearing out a good tire with summer driving.

I live in San Berdo mountains, so we don’t get a lot of winter weather or snow but when we do I have had zero regrets with the Toyo AT3 in P metric. Great snow tire.

I will say that we get a lot of post storm road icing up here (ca doesn’t believe in salt, they just use crushed rock) and that’s where I wish I had a winter tire. Winter tires are really good on ice, 3PMSF not so much. I’ve gotten squirrelly with even the Toyos (and every other 3PMSF tire I’ve had) up here.

hman442

Reaction score
IIRC, Salt Lake City has a pretty "real" winter. If I were doing it, I'd go with the dedicated winter studless tire. Mount them on the factory wheels (the clear coat on factory wheels holds up to the salt/calcium spray better), then next spring, buy aftermarket wheels of your liking to put your summer tires back on. She will be safer with dedicated winter tires. The Michelin, the Blizzaks, and the Nokian seem to be real popular & rated well. Here are the Nokian on the Mrs. Hman Audi Q5. Not sure why they named them this :)
Edit: Or if you really like the OE Wheels, put the summer tires on them and buy some moderate priced aftermarket wheels for the winter. I suggested the other way, as that's how i I've done it on my Audis.
20221204_160228.jpg
20221204_160142.jpg

Last edited:

JDKRXW

Reaction score
If you're on snow and or ice: you need Bizzaks, Michelin X ice or Nokians.
They've paid for themselves if they 'stop' you from having 1 minor 'incident'.
Mine are on 5+ months /yr.

Last edited:

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
If you think Blizzaks are overkill for what you need. I have always run the Goodyear Assurance triple tread tires on my work car. I drive a lot on mountain roads in the snow. They worked great in snow, ice, and slush. They distribute a ton on water or slush when you drive through it.

Good year has replaced the triple tread with Assurance Weather Ready. I just put a set on my work car a couple weeks ago. I haven't driven in real nasty weather with them yet. I did take it to Truckee this weekend and got some packed snow and ice. They so far seem to perform as well as the triple tread did.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
IIRC, Salt Lake City has a pretty "real" winter. If I were doing it, I'd go with the dedicated winter studless tire. Mount them on the factory wheels (the clear coat on factory wheels holds up to the salt/calcium spray better), then next spring, buy aftermarket wheels of your liking to put your summer tires back on. She will be safer with dedicated winter tires. The Michelin, the Blizzaks, and the Nokian seem to be real popular & rated well. Here are the Nokian on the Mrs. Hman Audi Q5. Not sure why they named them this :)
Edit: Or if you really like the OE Wheels, put the summer tires on them and buy some moderate priced aftermarket wheels for the winter. I suggested the other way, as that's how i I've done it on my Audis.
View attachment 1178070 View attachment 1178071
Hakas are a great tire. I think they are from one of the Scandinavian countries. Very good winter tire but winter only, they have strict requirements for the environment they need to be in (temps and conditions).

baja-chris

Reaction score
I put a set of Michelin Defenders on our Edge AWD when we lived in Durango, many trips over passes in snowpack and they worked great. Now living in AZ desert and tires still good, quiet and stable. Great tire.

Kenboat

Reaction score
Use Nokian WR G4 tires for my work car that is used in Ohio and Michigan. I run this year round and it is a good summer dry road tire, only slightly louder than a Michelin LTX tire. But on ice, and in snow they are excellent, close to Blzzacks in snow. The tire has a different looking tread but for my money it is the best all around tire I have found.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Regardless of what tire you get, have her go to an empty parking lot after the first snow and do donuts to get her “winter legs”. She needs to learn how to handle the car when it starts to slide.

Also, when you do get out of kommifornia, stop saying city ghetto shit like “Ima”.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I drive a GMC Acadia out here in the Midwest and I've had good luck with several brands of all season tires, so I'm agnostic as far as brands go. What I look for is all season tires with M+S ratings and "the snowflake" on the sidewall. These tend to be softer rubber tires so they wear a bit faster but offer better winter performance.

I look for good water channels and tread blocks with lots of siping (little cuts in the tread blocks). Most states and municipalities use de-icers and anti ice treatments on the roads and you end up dealing with lots of slush after snow storms. You need a tire that can pump lots of that watery mess out of the way. The siping helps when driving on icy roads.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
My wife had never really drove in winter conditions before we moved here to N Idaho. I ended up getting dedicated winter rims and tires for her Edge Sport AWD. I went with Continental WinterContact SI Winter Radials on some new KMC wheels. They have been great tires and I would definitely recommend them.
61rYTnCrwhL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
We use BFG All Terrains on all our vehicles, they work well in snow and ice and wet

wzuber

Reaction score
Im pretty happy with my Firestone destination LE2's- I travel through level 1 chain control all the time here in the sierras. It M&S though not 3 peak.

The Michelin cross climate 2's also do great in the snow. Pretty sure these are 3 peak.
Thx. U.D I'll ck. those out. The 3peak is not a requirement. I just figured on getting the most grip for the buck and also wanted to ascertain if it's just a gimmick or a real performance benefit.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Thx. U.D I'll ck. those out. The 3peak is not a requirement. I just figured on getting the most grip for the buck and also wanted to ascertain if it's just a gimmick or a real performance benefit.

I was surprised how well they worked for not being a dedicated snow tire - which you cant run in the summer or they melt.

That said I have an extremely capable AWD vehicle so that didnt hurt for sure.

wzuber

Reaction score
IMHO no special tire are needed for Salt Lake. they do a good job of clearing the roads, she should be fine with an all terrain tire
We've been told this by a couple of her colleagues. I just want her to have the most comfort and control on those special days when the storms hit hard. Fortunately her commute is short initially until I get there and we find a house to buy or rent. Rents there are rediculous.

wzuber

Reaction score
If you're on snow and or ice: you need Bizzaks, Michelin X ice or Nokians.
They've paid for themselves if they 'stop' you from having 1 minor 'incident'.
Mine are on 5+ months /yr.
Good point, 1 fender bender or worse will easilly offset any marginal $ difference of a lesser tire. The Nokians have a nice looking tread design. Looks like they will move a good bit of slush/water out the side as well. I'll definately look at the Mich-x and Blizzaks.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Hi all, ima looking for insights from the experienced and knowledgeable peeps here on snow tires specifically. Wifes moving to SLC Utah next month for work and want her to have a good quality tire on her 2019 Chevy Traverse Redline edition. The current tires are the OEM Continental crosscontact LX20 with 63K miles and ready to be changed out. Tire size is a 255/55 R20 H M S. Ima thinking I would prefer a 3PMSF rated tire for our first yr there at least. I will be going back and forth as I finish up preparing and selling our R.E here, liquidating some tools, parts etc. Gettin da fuq outa this kommie state.......
What kinda recommendations do you have? Also, if you have a recommendation for a tire store in SLC area (Halladay, cottonwood etc.) That would be great as well.

TIA
Like what @Gramps said. I would spend the money on “snow tires” for SLC. Get a good set of AT tires and drive according to the conditions and you will be fine.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
To you and Canuck1, the BFG AT (KO2) were not my favorite snow AT tire on ice. I think they lack enough siping to be better on ice than say the Toyo AT3 tires or even the Falken Wildpeak 3W tires. Another better AT tire on ice to me was the General Grabber AT.

Obviously where you live and what kind of ice you get and where you get it matters in your interpretation of how well a tire performs, but California mountain ice sucks and is the worst part about winter.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
If I lived in a winter climate, I would have two sets of wheels, no question.
A set with 3 season tires, and a set with winter tires.

mbrown2

Reaction score
I use Toyo AT3's on the Subaru Outback and will run them on the RAM... I like the balancer a lighter AT tire with aggressive tread, siping, and aggressive sidewall but great quiet driveability...

Use to like BFG's but they are a heavy tire ...

DaveH

Reaction score
FWIW i have family up there and spend a ton of time there.

SLC and utah in general for that matter takes snow removal/plowing SERIOUS. they are on it the instant a storm hits. its rare to see cars with studded tires. you really don't need them. any good all weather tire will be fine for use in the city.

and for the record it seems like utah winters are not nearly as harsh as 20 years ago. call it global warming or whatever.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
To you and Canuck1, the BFG AT (KO2) were not my favorite snow AT tire on ice. I think they lack enough siping to be better on ice than say the Toyo AT3 tires or even the Falken Wildpeak 3W tires. Another better AT tire on ice to me was the General Grabber AT.

Obviously where you live and what kind of ice you get and where you get it matters in your interpretation of how well a tire performs, but California mountain ice sucks and is the worst part about winter.
Studded winters can help but nothing other than chains work on ice. The grabber is OK too just not my first choice.

California mountain ice? That would be slush with unqualified drivers on it:oops:

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
I use Toyo AT3's on the Subaru Outback and will run them on the RAM... I like the balancer a lighter AT tire with aggressive tread, siping, and aggressive sidewall but great quiet driveability...

Which is perfect for bouncing through ditches and over curbs

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

What wheel size/tire size combo on the outback? Any mods to the outback or stock?

sml

Reaction score
If you want the best Snow/ice tires and peace of mind for the wife then get blizzaks. Depending of how much you drive you can usually get 2 winters out of them.

Last year i put summitomo ice edge all around on a front wheel drive company van and they are very impressive. About to go back on for winter this week.

Just do know that if you get mild days in the winter a snow tire on all 4 corners can make the vehicle get a little squirrelly at highway speeds and they will be a bit noisy

Also keep in mind Driving for conditions will help better than any tire

mbrown2

Reaction score
Damn that is a nice ride. Is that black or dark blue? Is the front light bar a subie option or did you add it yourself?
Thx…it’s black….the light bar is SSD… lights on the bar Diode Dynamics SS5’s and fogs are Diode Dynamics SS3’s…real fun ride in mountains…

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
What engine? Best looking Subi I've ever seen.. lol

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
tires...........I have been in the mountains of southern Utah full time since 1994, 5400' elevation and 4 seasons including some fair amount of snow (up to 18" at a time). I have had 5 different trucks up here and after the factory tires go south I think every truck had had Michelin Defender LTX or it's equal. The defender LTX is what I have right now. If you can find an car version of this tire I believe it will serve you well in Salt Lake.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I dont think anyone would claim M&S/ 3 peak tires are the equivalent of dedicated snow tire.

If you're Ok with the cost labor and storage for a dedicated whole second set of tires or wheels and tires - snow tires are great.

If the kids a shit driver dont take the risk - but then assume the burden. If the kid drives conservatively she'll be fine.

wzuber

Reaction score
Update :
I ended up going with Michelin cross climate-2's. They had good reviews and a quality tire mfg. Had them installed a week ago @ Tucker Tire where I always get a good price and great service. They are a little quiter then the OEM Continentals. After their phone quote I called them the next day and ordered. They were in stock and installed the following day. I was in and out of there in under 2 hrs. They were a couple hundered under Americas tire etc. And cheaper than several tire dealers in the Cottonwood Heights area of SLC. Tucker also handeled my encl. race boat trailer back in June before my trip to Burley. They sent a guy out to my house to mount & install. Worked out well as it allowed me to continue to prep the trailer for the maiden voyage/race. Good peeps over there.
Interesting tread design eh? Thanks for all the help and insights gents...I really appreciate it..
Merry Christmas to y'alls...

Attachments

• 20221221_165027.jpg
    20221221_165027.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221221_165042.jpg
    20221221_165042.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Those are supposedly excellent tires (Tire Rack loves them) but I’m hesitant on the directional tread design. We had some Goodyears that had something similar and they sucked but maybe it’s just Goodyear.

Let us know how it goes once you get some miles and storms on them.

wzuber

Reaction score
Those are supposedly excellent tires (Tire Rack loves them) but I’m hesitant on the directional tread design. We had some Goodyears that had something similar and they sucked but maybe it’s just Goodyear.

Let us know how it goes once you get some miles and storms on them.
will do.
I was a little apprehensive initially because I didn't think there was adequate sipping but decided to trust in the reviews and went with them..I hope they don't prove me a fool. haha