WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Think You're Old?

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
48 years ago today, February 2nd, 1975, I got on a plane at Los Angeles International Airport for a 90 minute flight to Oakland, stepped onto a bus to a little island in the middle of an Estuary, off the San Francisco Bay. At the time I was prepared to put in 4 years to learn a trade and maybe save a little money. 10 weeks later I stood in front of 200 or so like-minded recruits, in the middle of a Parade Ground, looking forward to putting that experience behind me. Little did I know, when I first walked across the bridge, that it would turn into a 28 year career, and change my life forever.

139935000_4467674726592815_1497260896741229484_n.jpg

coast_guard_boot_camp_tracen_alameda_company_bravo_100_graduation_may_1977.jpg

I'm far left in this picture. Battalion Commander of the Recruit Companies.

77147719_3254532184573748_4844422784299827200_n.jpg

Somewhere along the way I picked up a family.

shadow.jpg

20799892_1933776393316007_6968209741640399670_n.jpg

Big difference from the first pic.

DLC

Reaction score
That’s cool career ! Thank you for your service!

what was your favorite part / location of the 28 years?

any weird stops / circumstances that are memorable

1975 I was 7….

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
That’s cool career ! Thank you for your service!

what was your favorite part / location of the 28 years?

any weird stops / circumstances that are memorable

Every one of them had it's ups and downs. The 3 years here on the Colorado River was about as far from "military" as you can get. But the highlight would have been flying from McMurdo Station, Antarctica, to the South Pole. The ship I was on broke the resupply channel into McMurdo, and one of the supply ships was carrying heavy equipment for the Pole. They needed volunteers who could drive a D8 Cat, to load and offload the equipment. I jumped at the chance, and a few hours later I was on an Air Force transport, bound for the South Pole. Unfortunately we didn't get the opportunity to tour the Station or spend any time at the Pole. After the offload, the weather was turning to shit, so we had to bail, or else we'd be stuck down there for who knows how long. Still, it was the opportunity of a lifetime.

Wave Hi

Reaction score
Congratulations , and thanks for your 28 years of service...👍

BabyRay

Reaction score
Every one of them had it's ups and downs. The 3 years here on the Colorado River was about as far from "military" as you can get. But the highlight would have been flying from McMurdo Station, Antarctica, to the South Pole. The ship I was on broke the resupply channel into McMurdo, and one of the supply ships was carrying heavy equipment for the Pole. They needed volunteers who could drive a D8 Cat, to load and offload the equipment. I jumped at the chance, and a few hours later I was on an Air Force transport, bound for the South Pole. Unfortunately we didn't get the opportunity to tour the Station or spend any time at the Pole. After the offload, the weather was turning to shit, so we had to bail, or else we'd be stuck down there for who knows how long. Still, it was the opportunity of a lifetime.
That is a cool experience. My friend retired from the Air Force, having served as a loadmaster. Shortly before his retirement, he was given the opportunity to fly into McMurdo. He said they set up a surveyor’s transit to watch as the plane sank into the ice, to ensure it didn’t sink too far.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Shit, I thought you were describing being an inmate at Alcatraz! Glad I was wrong!

Serious, congrats. A huge lifelong honor!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Having never met you Alan, I'd always envisioned you to resemble your avatar😁
Great career👍😎

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Shit, I thought you were describing being an inmate at Alcatraz! Glad I was wrong!

Serious, congrats. A huge lifelong honor!

I did a tour at Station San Francisco, on Yerba Buena Island. We'd go over to Alcatraz while on Inner Harbor Patrol and wander around the prison and grounds. That place creeped me the fock out.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Thank you for being hear and there
Always enjoyed your posts and perspective

Congrats

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Can you write off tickets still?

Lol. An awesome career. You ran a great Parker boat cop patrol. Can't imagine the stress on weekends and holidays

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
48 years ago today, February 2nd, 1975, I got on a plane at Los Angeles International Airport for a 90 minute flight to Oakland, stepped onto a bus to a little island in the middle of an Estuary, off the San Francisco Bay. At the time I was prepared to put in 4 years to learn a trade and maybe save a little money. 10 weeks later I stood in front of 200 or so like-minded recruits, in the middle of a Parade Ground, looking forward to putting that experience behind me. Little did I know, when I first walked across the bridge, that it would turn into a 28 year career, and change my life forever.

View attachment 1195386

View attachment 1195388
I'm far left in this picture. Battalion Commander of the Recruit Companies.

View attachment 1195392
Somewhere along the way I picked up a family.

View attachment 1195398

View attachment 1195399
Big difference from the first pic.
Assuming Coast Guard Island. 😁
304E578E-72F4-4E5B-81AC-70467597DF34.jpeg

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
That's the one. Although they closed the Boot Camp in 1986. Our barracks, the building complex at the top of the photo, was converted to the District Offices, moved over from the Federal Building in Downtown San Fran.
Funny thing. I’ve driven up and down 880 probably 1000 times in the last 30 or so years. I’ve seen that plot across the estuary and never realized what it was. Been to Alameda plenty of times and heard of CG island but never knew where it actually was.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Quinns Lighthouse was our favorite stop in the Estuary

rrrr

Reaction score
Nice. Thanks for sharing the story.

You shoulda stayed on to get that second star. No one focks with a MCPO.

😁

gordon

Reaction score
That shadow box is so cool wow that's so honorably to have received all those. Thank you for your service

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I was 3 days old... 😁

As others have said, thank you for your service. Looks like one hell of a career.

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Your service is appreciated as well as you time served here. Thanks Alan, here's to enjoying retirement,

parker guy

Reaction score
Congratulations on your retirement, tank you for your service…

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Thanks for your service and for what you still do for RDP.

Sharky

Reaction score
Congrats and thank you for your service!!

👍

foxfam312

Let it Develop
Reaction score
Been there done that, Charlie Company 129, when in March of 1980, so yea I am old too lol, Thank you for your service.

Last edited:

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks for sharing the story.

You shoulda stayed on to get that second star. No one focks with a MCPO.

😁
That's the reason I retired when I did. Regs then said that you must have 2 years remaining at the time you accept the advancement. They also said that enlisted cannot stay beyond 30 years without a waiver. I would have had 20 months remaining if I was selected and advanced that year. I put in for a waiver, but my Division Officer denied it, saying..... "The Regs say you have to have 2 years." Well, yeah Dumbshit, that's what the waiver is for.

At that time there were only 19 Senior Chief Machinery Technicians (Reservist) in the entire service and they wouldn't take me back on Active Duty (the year after 9/11), so pretty much all I was doing was holding up a Chief from getting the Star.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
That's the one. Although they closed the Boot Camp in 1986. Our barracks, the building complex at the top of the photo, was converted to the District Offices, moved over from the Federal Building in Downtown San Fran.
I always wanted to check that place out but it’s off limits to civilians…

You wouldn’t want to walk around there now. Doubt you would recognize the neighborhood now. Total shit hole. Sad.

Did you ever get to the CG station under the Golden Gate? Those guys got the spot with a great view.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I always wanted to check that place out but it’s off limits to civilians…

You wouldn’t want to walk around there now. Doubt you would recognize the neighborhood now. Total shit hole. Sad.

Did you ever get to the CG station under the Golden Gate? Those guys got the spot with a great view.

I went over there (Station Fort Point) quite a bit. I had a buddy there that would call me whenever the left, in front of the Station, was breaking. While most surfers would have to park in the public lot, about a 1/2 mile away, and walk in, I could go right to the Station and paddle out.

BenjaminGinsberg_DriftwoodFoto.com_GoldenGateBridgeFortPointSF_2012-11-22_DSC_0476.jpg

(Not mine, generic photo)

beerrun

Reaction score
What units and what years were you stationed

rrrr

Reaction score
That's the reason I retired when I did. Regs then said that you must have 2 years remaining at the time you accept the advancement. They also said that enlisted cannot stay beyond 30 years without a waiver. I would have had 20 months remaining if I was selected and advanced that year. I put in for a waiver, but my Division Officer denied it, saying..... "The Regs say you have to have 2 years." Well, yeah Dumbshit, that's what the waiver is for.

At that time there were only 19 Senior Chief Machinery Technicians (Reservist) in the entire service and they wouldn't take me back on Active Duty (the year after 9/11), so pretty much all I was doing was holding up a Chief from getting the Star.
Thanks for the reply.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
February 2nd, 1975……..

Geez Boatcop, I didn’t realize that we shared an anniversary together……. That’s the day I lost my virginity. I was 12.

Congratulation's on a fruitful life, Alan. I have always like you. You are one of the nicest cops I ever met. However I am reluctant to post that story of how we actually met, the very first time. I hope you keep that to yourself too! Lol

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
What units and what years were you stationed
Boot camp, Alameda, 2/75 SR (E1)
Machinery Technician "A" School, Yorktown, VA 4/'75- 9/'75 SA (E2)
USCG Base Gloucester City, NJ 9/75 - 4/77 FAMK-MK2 (E2-E5)*
USCGC Burton Island (Polar Ice Breaker) Long Beach-Alameda 4/'77 - 4/'78 MK2 (E5)
Station San Francisco 4/'78 - 9/'78 MK2 (E5)*
Boating Safety Detachment, Channel Islands Harbor- Lakes Mead & Mohave 9/'78 - 9/'79 MK2 (E5)*
Boating Safety Detachment Parker Dam - The rest of the River 9/'79 - 6/'81 MK2-MK1 (E6)*
USCGC Cleat (65' Harbor Tug) Gloucester City, NJ (Engineering Officer) 6/'81 - 4/'84 MK1 (E6)*
USCG Air Station Barbers Point, HI, Ground Support Equipment Shop 4/'84 - 7/'85 MK1-MKC (E7)
USCGC Munro, Honolulu, HI (378' High Endurance Cutter) 7/'85 - 8/'86 MKC (E7)*
USCGC Point Stuart, Ballast Point, San Diego, CA (82' Patrol Cutter) (Chief Engineer) 8/'86 - 10/'87 MKC (E7)*
Released from Active Duty to Reserves
USCG Reserve Unit Phoenix/Colorado River Patrol '87 - '93 MKC*
USCG Group San Diego/Naval Engineering '93 - '98 MKC-MKCS (E8)
USCG Maintenance Assist Team 32nd St Naval Station '98 - '02 MKCS

Schools:
Navy Air Conditioning & Refrigeration School, Norfolk
Navy Swimming Pool Operator School, Norfolk
USCG Maritime Law Enforcement School Yorktown, VA
USCG National Boating Safety School, Yorktown, VA
Civ Caterpillar Diesel School, Philadelphia, PA
Civ Cummins Diesel School, Los Angeles, CA
USCG Chief Petty Officer Academy, Petaluma, CA

My main specialty (MOS) was Machinery Technician (MK), a combination of the Navy Ratings of Engineman, Boiler Tech, Machinist Mate, Machinery Repairman, & Gas Turbine Technician
*Nearly all assignments included collateral duties of Maritime Law Enforcement, Small Boat Coxswain, or U/W Deck Watch Officer/OOD, plus typical leadership duties.

beerrun

Reaction score
Boot camp, Alameda, 2/75 SR (E1)
Machinery Technician "A" School, Yorktown, VA 4/'75- 9/'75 SA (E2)
USCG Base Gloucester City, NJ 9/75 - 4/77 FAMK-MK2 (E2-E5)*
USCGC Burton Island (Polar Ice Breaker) Long Beach-Alameda 4/'77 - 4/'78 MK2 (E5)
Station San Francisco 4/'78 - 9/'78 MK2 (E5)*
Boating Safety Detachment, Channel Islands Harbor- Lakes Mead & Mohave 9/'78 - 9/'79 MK2 (E5)*
Boating Safety Detachment Parker Dam - The rest of the River 9/'79 - 6/'81 MK2-MK1 (E6)*
USCGC Cleat (65' Harbor Tug) Gloucester City, NJ (Engineering Officer) 6/'81 - 4/'84 MK1 (E6)*
USCG Air Station Barbers Point, HI, Ground Support Equipment Shop 4/'84 - 7/'85 MK1-MKC (E7)
USCGC Munro, Honolulu, HI (378' High Endurance Cutter) 7/'85 - 8/'86 MKC (E7)*
USCGC Point Stuart, Ballast Point, San Diego, CA (82' Patrol Cutter) (Chief Engineer) 8/'86 - 10/'87 MKC (E7)*
Released from Active Duty to Reserves
USCG Reserve Unit Phoenix/Colorado River Patrol '87 - '93 MKC*
USCG Group San Diego/Naval Engineering '93 - '98 MKC-MKCS (E8)
USCG Maintenance Assist Team 32nd St Naval Station '98 - '02 MKCS

Schools:
Navy Air Conditioning & Refrigeration School, Norfolk
Navy Swimming Pool Operator School, Norfolk
USCG Maritime Law Enforcement School Yorktown, VA
USCG National Boating Safety School, Yorktown, VA
Civ Caterpillar Diesel School, Philadelphia, PA
Civ Cummins Diesel School, Los Angeles, CA
USCG Chief Petty Officer Academy, Petaluma, CA

My main specialty (MOS) was Machinery Technician (MK), a combination of the Navy Ratings of Engineman, Boiler Tech, Machinist Mate, Machinery Repairman, & Gas Turbine Technician
*Nearly all assignments included collateral duties of Maritime Law Enforcement, Small Boat Coxswain, or U/W Deck Watch Officer/OOD, plus typical leadership duties.
I was station san diego when you were at ballast point on the 42s and RIBs