WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

NASCAR 'Clash at the Coliseum' this Sunday . . .

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
We delivered 32 loads of krail, blocks, fences and bridges in one night for this event. And get to pull them all out tomorrow night. I didn’t have much desire to go watch it. Just turned it on now to check it out.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
What a disappointment from here in the recliner.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I didn't plan on watching it, but I DVR'd it to checkin out later. The DVR recording ended with 50 laps still to go. Stupid.

Maybe it is fun in person, but on TV it is like watching paint dry. I would'nt be surprised if they don't have this race next year. 2 and done. LOL

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
This would maybe be cool if it was dirt, the track is just too small for that many cars and asphalt.

A Sprint Car race on dirt in there would be badass
Agreed. There is a 1/3 mile track with banked corners near my home. They only race about 10 cars at a time, and I think the track is wider. I couldn't watch the Nascar with 27 cars. It looked way too slow.

pixrthis

Reaction score
Napcar's version of WWF...all hype...no substance.
This ain't racing...it's a pre packaged show.
In person you see they’re really racing, we saw more racing mid pack then up front but there were battles the entire time. 50 lap lcq’s were too long but that’s all I’d change with the format. Watching guys pass a bunch of cars only to burn up the tires is something that’s not as easy to see on tv. Great night of racing. The music sucked but whatever

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I hope they don't have this race again. I am guessing Nascar wasn't happy about the empty seats. Didn't watch any of the show before the start of the race. The half time show was terrible. Was caught up on the DVR so couldn't go past it. I have know idea who was singing, but I muted it after about a min. Definitely not a Nascar crowd.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I wouldn't argue any of the points made here . . . more of a ''novelty' race for sure.
All of the 'show' seemed focused on pulling in an audience from the surrounding area, not my style, but can't really blame them for that.
As someone who has put on events, just the fact that NASCAR has taken a chance to make this happen deserves some credit.
FWIW, I did see some footage shot from the stands and the race looked ENTIRELY different . . . track looked way bigger, and the cars looked way faster.
Will it be around next year? . . . who knows, it was something different to have on in the background of a Sunday BBQ.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I hope they don't have this race again. I am guessing Nascar wasn't happy about the empty seats. Didn't watch any of the show before the start of the race. The half time show was terrible. Was caught up on the DVR so couldn't go past it. I have know idea who was singing, but I muted it after about a min. Definitely not a Nascar crowd.

You realize how many people the coliseum holds, right? I would say the turnout was just as good as last year, if not better.

We saw it in person last year and it was rad. On TV, not so much. Still better than watching the Oscar's or whatever other crap was on last night.

Best thing about it? My boy Truex Jr pulled out the W!!

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Last year they claimed almost 70k tickets. As of Friday they had sold 50k. Why people didn’t show up until main event I don’t know. If I spent the money like last year I d go see the whole thing. I know lookin for the schedule on tv fox sites only showed start time of main??? I don’t know why just because it’s LA they have to have rap. Hell Blake and Gwen were there, would have been a lot better. Racing was good, few to many cautions, but Truex won so all is good.👍

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I ended up going as a work event with some customers....last year it was packed with people that had never been to a Nascar race, a lot of young college kids from the campus that had got tickets for free....this year the place was half empty, and I didn't see nearly the amount of college aged kids so I am guessing they didn't hand out free tickets like last year...merch booths had ZERO lines, I walked up to a couple and the people working them were begging for customers like a carnival game vendor...

Racing was OK for what it was, lots of bumping and moving, was fun to see KB dicing it up with his old teamates..
Cypress Hill absolutely sucked, they need to hang up the mic, they sounded horrible
Wiz was good, the crowd was having a good time
Not sure who that other girl that sang was, but she sounded just ok
I got a pic with Larry McReynolds who was super cool and also with Sung Kang (Han from Fast and Furious) who nobody seemed to recognize until I stopped him to take a pic, he was also really cool....

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Last year they claimed almost 70k tickets. As of Friday they had sold 50k. Why people didn’t show up until main event I don’t know. If I spent the money like last year I d go see the whole thing. I know lookin for the schedule on tv fox sites only showed start time of main??? I don’t know why just because it’s LA they have to have rap. Hell Blake and Gwen were there, would have been a lot better. Racing was good, few to many cautions, but Truex won so all is good.👍
Fox had had the following schedule:
1-2p: Race Day
2-4p: Qualifying
4-5p: Race Day
5-7p: The Race

I DVR'd the race, and when the DVR recording ended at 7p, there was still 51 laps to go. ☹☹

wzuber

Reaction score

I DVR'd the race, and when the DVR recording ended at 7p, there was still 51 laps to go. ☹☹
I've learned to record the following show in addition to the 30 min extension DTV adds just in case the race goes longer than expected. I rarely end up watching them though and just delete later when space is required. haha

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
The qualifying for this even was a race in itself. They had like three main heats and a LCQ and that was good in itself.

Sandlord

Reaction score
It was like watching 7 short races.
4 qualifying heats @25 laps
2 LCQ races @50 laps
1 main at @150 laps.

a pretty good value for the money.
But why the heck did they need to run a commercial break during one of the shorter sessions?

Brian

Reaction score
I've gone both years and enjoyed both. Last year was the "I can't believe they are doing this, it's so cool" this year I thought the racing action was much better which made it worth going this year. I'd go next year if they do it there.

All of you couch jockeys need to STFU and go for yourself if you can. If you think it looks boring on TV then go if you can before you pass judgement. The shit talking is out of hand.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I've gone both years and enjoyed both. Last year was the "I can't believe they are doing this, it's so cool" this year I thought the racing action was much better which made it worth going this year. I'd go next year if they do it there.

All of you couch jockeys need to STFU and go for yourself if you can. If you think it looks boring on TV then go if you can before you pass judgement. The shit talking is out of hand.

They might do an actual points race there...if the revamp of California Speedway isn't done in time, they are talking about possibly doing it at the coliseum

Tom Slick

Reaction score

Agreed, any racing is better than no racing and with race tracks around the country, let alone in California closing weekly, I'll take it. I'm not a NASCAR fan with all of their woke BS the past couple of years, but it was worth the watch to see Bubba Wallace get dumped. 🤣

Cobalt232

Reaction score
We went again last night. Had a good time. My 85-year-old dad said he enjoyed Cypress Hill, but not Wiz Khalifa so much. My dad started taking me to Riverside NASCAR events when I was a kid and have always enjoyed going to Riverside, then Ontario, then Phoenix, then California Speedway and now the Coliseum. The event is really well organized. The racing is fun, but not earth-shattering. The second groove came in at the end and passes could be made on the outside.

I have a set of headsets and radio but rented 3 other sets because I hate sharing. The guy I talked with at Racing Electronics said they had sold half the rental headsets this year vs. last year. He said that it is not guaranteed they will be back next year and he really hopes not. He is also the semi-truck driver for their rig.

Reaper1

Reaction score
I went last year and yesterday. Had a great time, especially watching KB come from the back after Logano dumped him. Felt like less people this year but the people in the stands were getting shit faced. Good party crowd! :cool:

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

I go to California Speedway every year for NASCAR. It’s boring as shit in person and not really any better on TV.

Maybe the track reconfiguration they are going to do after this years race will help.

But the place is called Cali-Borin’-Ya for a reason, and they’ve shortened it from a 500 to a 400 so far, probably so the cameras don’t show all the fans asleep in their seats. I’m sure the beer sales went down some after the loss of 100 laps.

Brian

Reaction score
They might do an actual points race there...if the revamp of California Speedway isn't done in time, they are talking about possibly doing it at the coliseum
Interesting. Not sure how it would be for a points race. I'd look at Irwindale for a points race if they want a oval in So Cal for points.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Bubba really enjoyed the race and gave it a thumbs up.
IMG_20230206_184743.jpg

JJ McClure

Reaction score
The rumor I heard was building a new old Bristol at California Speedway and the big boring track goes away for some land development deal

pixrthis

Reaction score
Bubba really enjoyed the race and gave it a thumbs up.
IMG_20230206_184743.jpg
He had the car to beat for a bunch of laps, amazing forward drive, but lost it after the pit stop at lap 76. Watching cars come in and then fade coupled with drivers running out of patience or talent is something I don’t see on tv but see clearly in person. It was Saugus Speedway on steroids and that track provided some of the best Saturday nights of my life.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Maybe they should just race on the streets and freeways of LA with Leo and Chp in chase with helicopters giving crash and burn stats .

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Maybe they should just race on the streets and freeways of LA with Leo and Chp in chase with helicopters giving crash and burn stats .
Speaking of, why don’t they just use the Grand Prix of Long Beach for a road course track? Hell LB gets crazy money for putting the GP on, now add Nascar and LB would have more money than it would know what to do with.

Oh wait, they can dump that money into the rust bucket across the Marina.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Speaking of, why don’t they just use the Grand Prix of Long Beach for a road course track? Hell LB gets crazy money for putting the GP on, now add Nascar and LB would have more money than it would know what to do with.

Oh wait, they can dump that money into the rust bucket across the Marina.
The 'Alphabet People' would protest.

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Bubba would've had a different look on his face if he got a talking to about waiting for Dillon to come around and try to take him out under the yellow .

73mandella

Reaction score
It was like watching the crash cup derby at Irwindale, CA.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
There were a few comments about that but unlikely. It’s too crowded at 27 cars let alone 36. Truex said hopes not it would be bad. Lagono said terrible idea and they should reduce it back to last years with only four from each heat race.

Ricks raft

Reaction score

Yeah I dvr’d all of it . But when I did a quick google search to see when to start watching late enough to skip commercials, only showed main, nascar site showed all Times.
Dish Dvr recorded it all, but with 3-4 minutes left before the hour end, Fox cut away before Truex got his medal and showed crap about the upcoming season😡