WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

NASCAR 'Clash at the Coliseum' this Sunday . . .

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
All of you couch jockeys need to STFU and go for yourself if you can. If you think it looks boring on TV then go if you can before you pass judgement. The shit talking is out of hand.
Um, ya, okay. If you say so…😂
He had the car to beat for a bunch of laps, amazing forward drive, but lost it after the pit stop at lap 76. Watching cars come in and then fade coupled with drivers running out of patience or talent is something I don’t see on tv but see clearly in person. It was Saugus Speedway on steroids and that track provided some of the best Saturday nights of my life.
I’ll take your word for it then. Glad you and Bob had a good time. I just never liked 1/4 mile pavement. Unless it’s usac.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
You realize how many people the coliseum holds, right? I would say the turnout was just as good as last year, if not better.

We saw it in person last year and it was rad. On TV, not so much. Still better than watching the Oscar's or whatever other crap was on last night.

Best thing about it? My boy Truex Jr pulled out the W!!

Well based on the comments after yours I wasn't the only one who thought there were less people. To be fair watching paint dry is better than watching the Oscars or the other crap. I wish it were a dirt track like the do at Bristol, that would make it worth watching to me.

I understand the rap crap is probably just trying to get more young people to watch Nascar, but still thought it sucked.

I like Truex, but my boy is Larson and then Elliott.

I've gone both years and enjoyed both. Last year was the "I can't believe they are doing this, it's so cool" this year I thought the racing action was much better which made it worth going this year. I'd go next year if they do it there.

All of you couch jockeys need to STFU and go for yourself if you can. If you think it looks boring on TV then go if you can before you pass judgement. The shit talking is out of hand.

Not flying from FL to go to a race like this. You do know that most of the money Nascar generates is from TV right? Just like most other sports. If you don't pull in TV viewers then you probably won't last. If you were there, then you didn't see what it looked like on TV.

pixrthis

Reaction score
NASCAR has to try new shit or it will die, stage racing helps keep action the entire race, previously they’d ride around for 200 miles just to get to the end. The Roval was another good idea, we will see what racing on the streets in Chicago looks like this year. Some ideas don’t work as well as others but they know they need to progress or die. Looking at the people walking around in fan gear in LA I can tell you with all certainty that they are expanding their fan base, I’m sure they don’t want to lose you but if they do someone will replace you. If you don’t like it don’t watch, personally I can’t get enough of motor racing, I like almost all of it.

Last edited:

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I keep reading comment on the crowd size. How full is Dodger stadium or Lakers games for their games? Are they always full? I don't see anyplace else full so why is it a problem if Nascar doesn't do it?

Brian

Reaction score
Well based on the comments after yours I wasn't the only one who thought there were less people. To be fair watching paint dry is better than watching the Oscars or the other crap. I wish it were a dirt track like the do at Bristol, that would make it worth watching to me.

I understand the rap crap is probably just trying to get more young people to watch Nascar, but still thought it sucked.

I like Truex, but my boy is Larson and then Elliott.

Not flying from FL to go to a race like this. You do know that most of the money Nascar generates is from TV right? Just like most other sports. If you don't pull in TV viewers then you probably won't last. If you were there, then you didn't see what it looked like on TV.
LA is one of Nascar's biggest markets. Is it not OK to have a race in the middle of that market?

I understand that TV revenue is what funds the sport, but it's all driven by the fans. If you don't have fans then you don't have TV ratings, no TV ratings means no money for Nascar at the teams, then you don't have any racing. So having a race where your #1 fan base is from is important to keep the train moving. If more people would understand that then they would understand the importance of having the race. Most people don't become fans from just watching it on TV, they become fans by attending a race and getting bit by the live action. Having the action in a convenient place that is unique and a good show (in person) is the main purpose of having the event where and how it is. This race may not be your cup of tea, but why the bashing? It seems counter productive in so many ways.

Something else the average fan needs to realize is that the Nascar core fan is getting older and isn't going to be around forever. They need to draw in the younger audience otherwise the sport will die. Like I mentioned above, it starts with the fan. If additional entertainment is going to do that then they have to bring in "rap crap". Young fans are more than likely to come to see Wiz Kalifa perform a the break than they would Lynard Skynyrd.

Haters gonna hate I guess, but it doesn't have to be that way.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
LA is one of Nascar's biggest markets. Is it not OK to have a race in the middle of that market?

I understand that TV revenue is what funds the sport, but it's all driven by the fans. If you don't have fans then you don't have TV ratings, no TV ratings means no money for Nascar at the teams, then you don't have any racing. So having a race where your #1 fan base is from is important to keep the train moving. If more people would understand that then they would understand the importance of having the race. Most people don't become fans from just watching it on TV, they become fans by attending a race and getting bit by the live action. Having the action in a convenient place that is unique and a good show (in person) is the main purpose of having the event where and how it is. This race may not be your cup of tea, but why the bashing? It seems counter productive in so many ways.

Something else the average fan needs to realize is that the Nascar core fan is getting older and isn't going to be around forever. They need to draw in the younger audience otherwise the sport will die. Like I mentioned above, it starts with the fan. If additional entertainment is going to do that then they have to bring in "rap crap". Young fans are more than likely to come to see Wiz Kalifa perform a the break than they would Lynard Skynyrd.

Haters gonna hate I guess, but it doesn't have to be that way

Not sure how you can say I am a hater. Just because I didn't like the race makes me a hater? Do you have the data to show that LA is Nascars biggest market? I know LA is the biggest TV market.

I have been to many races. When I lived in San Diego I went to many Fontana races even though they were kind of boring before stage racing. Just to support the sport. I am glad they are changing Fontana. I also like the the changes to more road courses, which I think are better races. My point is I am not against change. I just don't think this race was a good change. If it was a dirt track like they have done at Bristol it would have been better. I have been wrong before and could be wrong now. Time will tell.

I will concede the half time show will probably draw more young fans, but I plain hate rapcrap. Would not allow my kid to have it on anywhere that I could hear it.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
NASCAR has to try new shit or it will die, stage racing helps keep action the entire race, previously they’d ride around for 200 miles just to get to the end. The Roval was another good idea, we will see what racing on the streets in Chicago looks like this year. Some ideas don’t work as well as others but they know they need to progress or die. Looking at the people walking around in fan gear in LA I can tell you with all certainty that they are expanding their fan base, I’m sure they don’t want to lose you but if they do someone will replace you. If you don’t like it don’t watch, personally I can’t get enough of motor racing, I like almost all of it.

I think you're right but under estimating.
NASCAR'S on lifesupport now.
Young people simply arent interested. They'd rather play Grand Theft Auto.
Thats why the France family sold off most of their ISPW (I think) stock a couple.years ago. Several years back it did a "1 for 10" reverse split.
Wonderful.
It may be gone in our lifetime.
Never again, what it once was unfortunately.
Speed week in Daytona (many times) is undescribable it so much fun.!

Brian

Reaction score
Not sure how you can say I am a hater. Just because I didn't like the race makes me a hater? Do you have the data to show that LA is Nascars biggest market? I know LA is the biggest TV market.

I have been to many races. When I lived in San Diego I went to many Fontana races even though they were kind of boring before stage racing. Just to support the sport. I am glad they are changing Fontana. I also like the the changes to more road courses, which I think are better races. My point is I am not against change. I just don't think this race was a good change. If it was a dirt track like they have done at Bristol it would have been better. I have been wrong before and could be wrong now. Time will tell.

I will concede the half time show will probably draw more young fans, but I plain hate rapcrap. Would not allow my kid to have it on anywhere that I could hear it.
Didn't call you a hater. But they're out there.

Nascar has published that LA is their biggest market wasn't clear if it was TV or what. regardless, if it's leading the biggest in whatever category, they need to be here.

I know it would take a ton of planning but if Fontana is out for 2024 and maybe 2025, I'd love to see them try to run Irwindale for the points race for those 2 years.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I keep reading comment on the crowd size. How full is Dodger stadium or Lakers games for their games? Are they always full? I don't see anyplace else full so why is it a problem if Nascar doesn't do it?
Dodgers play 81 home games, and the Lakers 41. NASCAR has only 2 points races max in any one market, most are 1.

BTW, I am a huge NASCAR fan, but do worry about the future. Have been worrying for 30 years...

Mike K

Reaction score
I gotta chime in … seems to me … racing inside the Colliseum?
Racing ?
Seriously … I’m talking ”racing".
Someone has to say something … not full on bagging on it cuz anything even way off like this is better than nothing … but who even thought of this ?
Will this be remembered in 2028 ?
Geez … even Costa Mesa Speedway on a Friday night has to be better than this ?
Not meaning to offend … but … this is only my opinion … and everyone has one ….

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I gotta chime in … seems to me … racing inside the Colliseum?
Racing ?
Seriously … I’m talking ”racing".
Someone has to say something … not full on bagging on it cuz anything even way off like this is better than nothing … but who even thought of this ?
Will this be remembered in 2028 ?
Geez … even Costa Mesa Speedway on a Friday night has to be better than this ?
Not meaning to offend … but … this is only my opi and everyone has one ….
I must admit. Speedway bikes at Costa Mesa. Was much more entertaining. That said. I was there in person. I have not been to the race here in person. But I will say my son said it was pretty cool. Now a points race. I just don’t see it. Just like I don’t see or get bubba sitting his car pouting like a 3 year old. It was for entertainment.

wzuber

Reaction score
I must admit. Speedway bikes at Costa Mesa. Was much more entertaining. That said. I was there in person. I have not been to the race here in person. But I will say my son said it was pretty cool. Now a points race. I just don’t see it. Just like I don’t see or get bubba sitting his car pouting like a 3 year old. It was for entertainment.
He was simply contemplating his choices in the past/recent past and trying to figure out where he/it ALL went wrong. I don't know he's yet figured it out how he got used as a pawn in this B.S. blm racial devide war being perpitrated by the leftist mob. Reep whatcha sow bubba bro.