WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

‘57 Ford F-350

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Sorry to put this in your thread I was just trying to learn how to post a video. I guess we’ll find out if it works

redone76

Reaction score
5BB2E198-8EBC-4D1D-AE93-D27342735EC8.jpeg

Just scored 6 good used tires for $150. It’s a 17.5 wheel so there’s not much selection of tires out there. Now it should be easier to get off the trailer!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Yes I did. And I can see your video just fine. How did you do it?
I hit attach file, then choose a video from my video files, waited for it to load. After it loads there will be a little box that says video, and I hit that and it attached the file. Then post. At least that’s how I think I did it. 😂

redone76

Reaction score
I hit attach file, then choose a video from my video files, waited for it to load. After it loads there will be a little box that says video, and I hit that and it attached the file. Then post. At least that’s how I think I did it. 😂
You're the man! Just edited and attached my little video of the engine running. Thanks!

redone76

Reaction score
Cool to see progress!
Slowly but surely...I pulled the radiator hoses and they were full of crap. Now I want to yank the water pump and flush the block and radiator. But I’m getting tired of climbing up and down off the flatbed trailer. Now I know it runs I want to get tires on it and roll it off the trailer so I can work on it

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Nothing like pressure washing the INSIDE of a vehicle. LOL
And a leaf blower 😉😎 I found a 51? 1 ton Chevy/ GMC I think ? Is out behind a barn that that we go by next time home I’m going to see if it’s for sale , like I need another project

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Even though I’m not a Ford guy this thing is übercool. I like what you’re doing with it and how you’re going about it.

My Gramps had a 59 Ford tilt cab flatbed with a 292 that we hauled a LOT of farm equipment home from auctions with. First truck I figured out how a 2-speed rear worked. I can still hear that thing screaming today...

Subscribed

redone76

Reaction score
Even though I’m not a Ford guy this thing is übercool. I like what you’re doing with it and how you’re going about it.

My Gramps had a 59 Ford tilt cab flatbed with a 292 that we hauled a LOT of farm equipment home from auctions with. First truck I figured out how a 2-speed rear worked. I can still hear that thing screaming today...

Subscribed
Coming from you that's much appreciated bud! I'm not much of a Ford guy either but I love tinkering with old stuff and bringing it back to life

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Coming from you that's much appreciated bud! I'm not much of a Ford guy either but I love tinkering with old stuff and bringing it back to life

That thing is solid enough it deserves what attention you’re giving it. I feel the common sense approach is the best for projects like these. Too many times there’s dreams of grandeur and the true meaning of the project gets obscured.

Getting a functional cooling system and reliable fuel delivery (from tank to cylinders 1-8) are top priorities I’m guessing.

Do you still have your Corvair powered buggy in your avatar? I’m still gathering parts for my wife’s Corvair project. Another complete engine just showed up...

What does it take to get title and license for something like this truck?

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Nice progress. Btw. Egge automotive has tons of parts for the Y blocks if you need any. Great source.

Last edited:

redone76

Reaction score
That thing is solid enough it deserves what attention you’re giving it. I feel the common sense approach is the best for projects like these. Too many times there’s dreams of grandeur and the true meaning of the project gets obscured.

Getting a functional cooling system and reliable fuel delivery (from tank to cylinders 1-8) are top priorities I’m guessing.

Do you still have your Corvair powered buggy in your avatar? I’m still gathering parts for my wife’s Corvair project. Another complete engine just showed up...

What does it take to get title and license for something like this truck?
Exactly. I rebuilt the carb and installed a new fuel pump. Cleaned out fuel lines and now it pulls fuel from a plastic tank. I'm currently in the process of cleaning out the original fuel tank. The radiator hoses were trash and when I went to replace them there was a lot of debris at the thermostat housing and lower radiator hose. So next step is removing the water pump and flushing out the block. But I want to get it off the trailer cause I'm tired of climbing up and down the damn thing! Should be easy to register as it was my buddy's grandpas ranch truck and he'll sign any paperwork I may need "pink slip has been lost for years". Just gotta wait for the DMV to open up for appointments here in California so I can start the process of getting the VIN verified and a replacement title. I still have the corvair buggy! Sitting in my garage waiting for the weather to cool off then were hitting the desert! I've gotten a lot of parts from Clarks or California Corvair. Both reputable shops. I actually designed and sell Clarks an oil pan reinforcement rail/girdle for the stock corvair oil pan
I also had a Greenbrier for a few years that I bought from a RDP members father.
VAN7.jpg

redone76

Reaction score
OIL.jpg

So after installing a new water pump and radiator hoses I filled her with water and fired her up. She was purring nicely and then I pulled a valve cover and saw a milkshake. Dip stick looked like this...time to yank the heads

redone76

Reaction score
HEAD1.jpg
HEAD2.jpg

Took the heads in for inspection and both are junk...fuck! On a positive note the bottom end looks good and the cylinder bores are clean

redone76

Reaction score
ENGINE1.jpg
ENGINE2.jpg

I hopped on craigslist and found this complete 272 engine with 4 speed trans for $250 in Riverside. Supposedly ran when the guy yanked it from a F100 a few years ago. Turns over by hand smoothly and seems to have compression. Now here's my dilemma...do I yank the heads off, have them inspected and bolt them up to my bottom end that I know is good? Or drop this whole thing in and see what happens?

redone76

Reaction score
How in the world could I have missed this thread? Its awesome. Great job

@redone76 If you are confident it runs, drop it in.
Thank you sir! That's the thing...it's an unknown motor so my confidence isn't very high. But I've heard the one run in the truck and it has good oil pressure, no knocking or ticking. Just bad heads so far...hell maybe that's why it was parked 35 years ago?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
View attachment 947953 View attachment 947954
I hopped on craigslist and found this complete 272 engine with 4 speed trans for $250 in Riverside. Supposedly ran when the guy yanked it from a F100 a few years ago. Turns over by hand smoothly and seems to have compression. Now here's my dilemma...do I yank the heads off, have them inspected and bolt them up to my bottom end that I know is good? Or drop this whole thing in and see what happens?

Make sure the starter works on the new (used) motor, and run a compression check. Possibly a leak down test. Could possibly rig up a way to check cooling pressure if you're so inclined, lol.
Then make a decision.

Dan'l

MK1MOD0

Reaction score

Since the motor is out and easy to get to..... pull the heads. Check everything out and put on ALL new gaskets. The rope seals and gaskets they used really do degrade over time. EGGE has GOOD gasket sets. This will also allow you to inspect everything and detail the engine as well. Miles ahead in the end .

Meaney77

Reaction score
Awesome thread! Kind of random that you were able to find a motor on the cheap that will work!

I dig threads like these during the cold months, keep up with the updates!

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

I vote the "pull the heads and inspect" route. Like you said, you heard the other engine run already and know the bottom end to not be knocking as well as the cylinder bores being clean. AND its already in the truck.

redone76

Reaction score
Make sure the starter works on the new (used) motor, and run a compression check. Possibly a leak down test. Could possibly rig up a way to check cooling pressure if you're so inclined, lol.
Then make a decision.

Dan'l
I've thought about doing this also. I'd have to take it off the engine stand as the starter bolts to the bellhousing

redone76

Reaction score
Since the motor is out and easy to get to..... pull the heads. Check everything out and put on ALL new gaskets. The rope seals and gaskets they used really do degrade over time. EGGE has GOOD gasket sets. This will also allow you to inspect everything and detail the engine as well. Miles ahead in the end .
I'm gonna do that for sure. I ordered up an engine gasket kit already

redone76

Reaction score
Awesome thread! Kind of random that you were able to find a motor on the cheap that will work!

I dig threads like these during the cold months, keep up with the updates!
Totally random and totally lucky! Possibly have the trans and bellhousing sold so I'm already coming up

redone76

Reaction score
I vote the "pull the heads and inspect" route. Like you said, you heard the other engine run already and know the bottom end to not be knocking as well as the cylinder bores being clean. AND its already in the truck.
Exactly! Slapping on a set of heads is pretty easy on this thing

ford 4x429

Reaction score
Lovin it Some think theses were fords ugliest trucks I think that makes em cooler :cool::cool::cool:

ford 4x429

Reaction score
I bought an old 64 f250 earlier in the year for a weekend chores vehicle and to cruise around town. It’s body is completely rusted out but interior is nice and frame and mechanical systems are solid. it has the y block with 4 speed. Motor runs great for what I’m doing, havent put a dollar into it. Gets lots of looks. View attachment 910909 View attachment 910913
1606930697377.png

I could only wish my 67 Merc was so badly rusted...gone from the lower cowel to under the seat But it's a merc, so I'll save it Wives car in foreground 1606930697377.png

redone76

Reaction score
272-1.jpeg
272-2.jpeg

Popped the heads off and right off the bat you can tell something went through the engine at one time. Only one cylinder looked like this though. I dropped the heads off at the machine shop last week for pressure check and magnaflux. They called friday afternoon and said they're good! Plan is to rebuild and reinstall as soon as possible.🤞🤞🤞

redone76

Reaction score
BED.jpeg

My brother also scored me this movable lifting boom for the bed. It's got a spot for a hand winch on the top. Pretty useful accessory!

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
View attachment 951964 View attachment 951965
Popped the heads off and right off the bat you can tell something went through the engine at one time. Only one cylinder looked like this though. I dropped the heads off at the machine shop last week for pressure check and magnaflux. They called friday afternoon and said they're good! Plan is to rebuild and reinstall as soon as possible.🤞🤞🤞

Great news on the heads.

HotRod82

Reaction score
View attachment 951964 View attachment 951965

That is a major score in and of itself! I bought 3 sets of heads while restoring my 56.....such a PITA. You dodged a bullet for sure.

redone76

Reaction score
That is a major score in and of itself! I bought 3 sets of heads while restoring my 56.....such a PITA. You dodged a bullet for sure.
Totally! I got lucky finding this engine. Crossing my fingers the heads are the problem!

redone76

Reaction score
Without reading back through the thread what was the issue?
Got the engine fired up and running smoothly. Popped the valve covers to adjust the valves and saw a milkshake. Pulled the heads and had them checked out. They’re junk...multiple cracks. Found a complete engine for $250. I took the heads off that engine and had them checked. All good and being rebuilt. Now you’re caught up!

fast99

Reaction score
Nice project, drove one similar to that when I was in my teens. One thing to consider when your deciding how to approach changing or spending money on the chassis. those wheels are split rims. No one with any brains will touch old wheels like that. It might be difficult to find non-split rims for that bolt pattern. Also the single system master cylinder isn't the safest thing to have. Those old Y blocks will run forever and sooo easy to work on. Good luck.