WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

“Do I get a discount for being black?”

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Different times, different upbringing I suppose. I was taught to respect our elders, to address them as Sir and Ma'am, I still do regardless of their age, until I'm given a reason not to.
When and if your attitude allows you to reach maturity, you will discover that many many places offer as a show of respect for us of retirement age, senior discounts.
Rarely will I ever ask, just not my nature, but I'm always gracious and thankful when a respectful younger person at the counter, offers or just applies a discount.

So with consideration to the vast number of businesses, including hotels, that do offer senior discounts, I don't think them asking is out of line at all.
I do however definitely feel you were and before I left, you'd have known exactly how I felt about your ill advised, smart-ass comment.

You seem to be making assumptions that I was disrespectful to people who came into the hotel, not true at all. All interactions were yes sir/ma'am and no sir/ma'am.

My original comment was in reference to people who were extremely entitled and rude when they didn't get their way.

Example I had, I welcomed a gentleman to the hotel and offered to check him in. Without even acknowledging my welcome and offer he said
"I booked a room online at $xxx rate and I refuse to pay that because I'm a senior"

my response "I apologize sir but we don't have a senior discount, do you happen to be a AAA member? I can offer you a AAA discount because we have a corporate relationship with AAA."

his response "that's unacceptable I need to speak with your manager"

My manager proceeds to explain the same thing I did, he further demands free breakfast and extra loyalty points all from his age.

Obviously this isn't representative of 98% of the interactions I had with seniors at the hotel, but this interaction and a few others with people like this gentleman are the ones that I will remember for a long time.

Was it the best comment for me to make on here saying "just because you haven't died yet..." probably not. That's something I'd never say to a customer, but it was a joke for RDP, try not to take it so personally.

Dana757

Reaction score
so you told him no and to take a seat at the back of the bus right?? lol I know, I know I'm going to hell.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
What if your a black firefighter, do you get a double discount???

Every cop and or firefighter asks for a discount. When I had my service shop, the very first thing I would get asked, was whether I gave a discount to police and fire. For the most part I obliged. [emoji2373] at the end of the day, they have similar aged friends with similar interest, and I was always hoping I’d get a referral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
so you told him no and to take a seat at the back of the bus right?? lol I know, I know I'm going to hell.

Lol. When the tranny has black jokes. [emoji2361]

Taboma

Reaction score
You seem to be making assumptions that I was disrespectful to people who came into the hotel, not true at all. All interactions were yes sir/ma'am and no sir/ma'am.

My original comment was in reference to people who were extremely entitled and rude when they didn't get their way.

Example I had, I welcomed a gentleman to the hotel and offered to check him in. Without even acknowledging my welcome and offer he said
"I booked a room online at $xxx rate and I refuse to pay that because I'm a senior"

my response "I apologize sir but we don't have a senior discount, do you happen to be a AAA member? I can offer you a AAA discount because we have a corporate relationship with AAA."

his response "that's unacceptable I need to speak with your manager"

My manager proceeds to explain the same thing I did, he further demands free breakfast and extra loyalty points all from his age.

Obviously this isn't representative of 98% of the interactions I had with seniors at the hotel, but this interaction and a few others with people like this gentleman are the ones that I will remember for a long time.

Was it the best comment for me to make on here saying "just because you haven't died yet..." probably not. That's something I'd never say to a customer, but it was a joke for RDP, try not to take it so personally.

Then I absolutely misunderstood and apologize if I misjudged your character ---- I agree, some people deserve a good ass-whoopin, young and old alike.
Yes, I get the RDP venting, we all do it.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Every cop and or firefighter asks for a discount. When I had my service shop, the very first thing I would get asked, was whether I gave a discount to police and fire. For the most part I obliged. [emoji2373] at the end of the day, they have similar aged friends with similar interest, and I was always hoping I’d get a referral.

I'm a fire fighter, veteran and senior. I never ask for a discount. I have asked at Home Depot when I make a large purchase but never mention any of the above as they normally will give anyone 10% if you ask.

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm a fire fighter, veteran and senior. I never ask for a discount. I have asked at Home Depot when I make a large purchase but never mention any of the above as they normally will give anyone 10% if you ask.

When ours and over 1,000 other homes in Northern San Diego burned in a wildfire in 07', Home Depot, Lowes, Dixieline and many other area retailers gave us 10% discounts once you signed up with your FEMA #, this was extended for a period of approx three years in most cases.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
All joking aside, giving someone special treatment because the color of their skin is not what this country is about. It's so sad to see how far we have fallen from our core beliefs.